Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

HBFP - My personal experience after first successful hover

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

HBFP - My personal experience after first successful hover

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:23 PM
cent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HBFP - My personal experience after first successful hover

Hi All,

With the help of main of the people on the board, I have gone from being disappointed with the HBFP to really enjoying it.

My main problems with it was that the factory skids either broke easily or broke where they connect to the main frame. After the first crash and replacement of the skids and main frame, I crashed it again. Those darn skids. After doing some research and with the guidance of those here, I ordered and installed the Super Skids. That has been the greatest single thing that I could have gotten for it.

After installing them, I noticed there was a huge wobble when I increased the throttle. After further investigation, there was a wire tie that wrapped between the main frame and main gear to hold some of the wires against the frame. Even though there was a very small gap, I didn't think it was a problem. I clipped the wire tie and move it completely and the wobble was gone. I assume that under high RPMs the vibration caused the wire tie to touch the main gear.

With that fix, I took the heli out. With the super skids, the crashes were rather painless. I would fixed the main rotor blades, do a quick once over to make sure nothing was broke or out of line, placed it back on the grass and tried it again.

After a few bunny hops, I finally got it to hover for about 10-15 seconds though it felt like minutes. I was extremely happy.

I got a little more daring and did a few forward flights about 2-3 feet off of the ground in case I lost control I could let it drop to the ground. Even hovered it about 3 feet off of the ground and spun the tail around. Lots of fun.

Flipped it over a few times... no problem.

By now I would have broken the factory skids or they would have come off of the heli. With each crash and it survived I was a lot happier and a little more confident.

I did brake the main rotor head off... got a little too confident and took the training gears off. LOL... bad mistake.

So while I wait for some new parts for the main rotor, I can reflect on how much I really love learning to fly a heli.

NOTE: For any new HBFP pilot, be sure to get the Super Skids and the training gear is a blessing. Crashing is fine. Learning how to put it back together is actually pretty interesting and I'm a lot more educated into what each of the parts are for and I think that has helped me learned where to look for potential problems.

Best,
Cent
Old 01-05-2008, 09:41 PM
blk822

Default RE: HBFP - My personal experience after first successful hover

Sounds like you had some fun. Thatsucks when you craash , but like you said with each crash and repair you gain knowledge and confidence. And it's nice to be able to fix your own stuff,. pretty soon you'll be making your own mods.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:51 PM
KCinNC

with all my practice, i can replace a flybar in under a minute ....
Old 01-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Druss

I personally haven't decided whether i enjoy building heli's more or flying them.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my main gear stripped on my Belt CP it took about a half hour to get it out and in. Thus realizing something was not right -3 more times. The final take was in and out in 5 minutes.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Bcolici

ORIGINAL: cent

Hi All,

With the help of main of the people on the board, I have gone from being disappointed with the HBFP to really enjoying it.

My main problems with it was that the factory skids either broke easily or broke where they connect to the main frame. After the first crash and replacement of the skids and main frame, I crashed it again. Those darn skids. After doing some research and with the guidance of those here, I ordered and installed the Super Skids. That has been the greatest single thing that I could have gotten for it.

After installing them, I noticed there was a huge wobble when I increased the throttle. After further investigation, there was a wire tie that wrapped between the main frame and main gear to hold some of the wires against the frame. Even though there was a very small gap, I didn't think it was a problem. I clipped the wire tie and move it completely and the wobble was gone. I assume that under high RPMs the vibration caused the wire tie to touch the main gear.

With that fix, I took the heli out. With the super skids, the crashes were rather painless. I would fixed the main rotor blades, do a quick once over to make sure nothing was broke or out of line, placed it back on the grass and tried it again.

After a few bunny hops, I finally got it to hover for about 10-15 seconds though it felt like minutes. I was extremely happy.

I got a little more daring and did a few forward flights about 2-3 feet off of the ground in case I lost control I could let it drop to the ground. Even hovered it about 3 feet off of the ground and spun the tail around. Lots of fun.

Flipped it over a few times... no problem.

By now I would have broken the factory skids or they would have come off of the heli. With each crash and it survived I was a lot happier and a little more confident.

I did brake the main rotor head off... got a little too confident and took the training gears off. LOL... bad mistake.

So while I wait for some new parts for the main rotor, I can reflect on how much I really love learning to fly a heli.

NOTE: For any new HBFP pilot, be sure to get the Super Skids and the training gear is a blessing. Crashing is fine. Learning how to put it back together is actually pretty interesting and I'm a lot more educated into what each of the parts are for and I think that has helped me learned where to look for potential problems.

Best,
Cent
take alook at this, enjoy http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...162d1&t=618997
Old 01-06-2008, 11:46 AM
crimsonrain22

Thanks for that link I seen that a long while back and have been looking for it again forever now.