Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

HOW TO BREAK YOUR HBK2, WITHOUT THE HASSLE OF FLYING.

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

HOW TO BREAK YOUR HBK2, WITHOUT THE HASSLE OF FLYING.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 04:38 PM
raindelay_wa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My(hopefully, not to short) adventures with the Honeybee King 2

I know your not Druss....just having a little friendly banter with ya, thats all!!! Ya'all gotta get used to the idea, that I am a HUGE smarta*s. I have rarely taken anything serious in my entire life. A fine example....I met my wife, cause she hit me with her car!!! She couldn't believe that between the waves of pain, that I was laughing at her funny expressions of panic that she had on her face...After teasing her a little bit too much, she punched me in the arm. She just hit me with her car, and 15 mins later, shes punching me in the arm. I knew right then, thats who I was gonna marry....that was 10 yrs ago. So, trust me Druss, your cool with me. I just like messin with ya brother.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:40 PM
flyinsolo11

That is an awesome story. I hope you didnt take the last woman who is like that, because that it who I would marry, lol.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:35 AM
raindelay_wa

Thanks solo.... I am pretty sure there are quite a few women out there still, that can't drive......lol..(Hope my wife don't see this)
Old 01-26-2008, 09:32 AM
raindelay_wa

Okay guys, just to give ya'll a little update. I ended up working pretty late last night. Kinda got in the zone, and next thing you know, its 4am. I started tearing down my heli at about 5:45 am. Its now 6:30 am. I think that I am gonna call it a night, since I have been up for about 21hrs now. I think I am making some pretty good progress on my tear down. I probably won't get around to actually doing the write up and posting until about Sunday. However, I am not gonna leave ya totally hanging. Here are a few teaser pics to keep ya busy for awhile....lol[X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52114.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	861405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40132.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	861406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99985.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	861407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39682.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	861408  
Old 01-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Optimus110103
My Feedback: (5)

WOW! That Spindle is not bent it's twisted!gppd ;uck getting that thing out, or did you allready? looks to me like that would be a pain in the arse. anyway, good luck, when I did my teardowns, I found getting the bell hiller arms and flybar right were the hardest part. invest in some digital calipers, they really help with the flybar.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:30 PM
crimsonrain22

Ok I have not read all of this thread but alot of it. And one thing I have not seen mentioned is Finless Bob, For those of you who dont know Finless Bob is a lifesaver when it comes to collective heli. So if you havent already go to helifreak.com and register and go the the Finless Bob tech room. Find the general setup videos and download them all. Now there are all for the Trex 450 but the concept behind them hold true for all collective heli's. The few hours i have spent watching the videos have saved me tons and tons of time it would have taken to figure it all out on my own. I highly recommend watching them. Proper setup if 80% or better of how well your heli flies mainly things like blade balance and tracking. As well as getting proper pitch and head speed.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=11373

The only thing that has helped me more then watching these video's are all the people here on this forum. I cant imagine the mistakes I would have made it it wasnt for some of the people here. Things that come to mind on the King 2 are Belt slipping, Brushless setup, Getting the tail to hold. Going heading Hold
Old 01-27-2008, 06:25 AM
raindelay_wa

One more update. I have about 1/2 hour left on the build part of my heli project. I got it tore down, documented, with lots of pics. Unfornately, my new feathering shafts have not come in yet, so I won't be able to finish the build and do a test flight for ya all tomorrow[&o]. I will definetly post the tear down part later today. Thanks all of you for your patientence......raindelay.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________________________________
I'm living proof that stubborn people with low I.Q.'s should never own helis

Name:	Xv65546.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	862229  
Old 01-28-2008, 02:49 AM
raindelay_wa

Okay....here we go. Before I post my teardown of the HoneyBee King 2 helicopter, I would like to start by putting in this disclaimer. As I have said many times before, I am completly NEW at this. I have never owned a helicopter before or ever worked on one. The following tear down is simply a reference on how I did it, without books, and most likely without the proper tools. This in no way should be used as an example of how to work on YOUR helicopter. As a matter of fact, it probably is a good example of how not to do it. My own personal belief, is that, if you are not afraid to break something, then you should try and do it without the books. I believe that if you can figuire it out on your own, then you will learn more. That is the way I did this. I also believe that if you can do it with the most minimal of tools, then, when you get the proper tools for the job, it will be that much easier. Again, these are MY own personal opinions, and not the gospel truth. If you want that, then talk to Druss or Kenhiraihnl, or anyone else that has been on this forum since the dawn of civilization. So....with that said, I proudly present to you...........

HEY BUBBA....WATCH THIS!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 03:02 AM
raindelay_wa

Okay, lets start off by showing you the tools that I used for this project. 2 allen wrenches, 2 screwdrivers and a pair of needle nose pliers. Thats it. Don't tell me that your already shaking your head, we haven't got to step one yet!!!
(In order to not sound like a complete idiot, I am using the book now to make sure I use the proper names for all of the parts. I don't think it would be too helpful to describe parts as the "do-hickey thingies".

STEP 1: I started by loosening (but not removing) the paddle collar for the paddles. They are hex nuts. I then unsrewed the paddles from the flybar. They do not just pull off. You have to unscrew them. (fig. 2 & 3)

STEP 2: I unclip the Ring-like push-rod from the paddle control arms. There is a total of 2 of them. One on each side. Then unclip the 2 push links in the inner part of the paddle control arms. (fig 4) Unless, you are actually replacing that part, leave the bottms clipped in. That way, you will know where they go, when putting it back together.

Name:	Ro41929.jpg
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	863308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16051.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	863309   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29129.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	863310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92928.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	863311  
Old 01-28-2008, 03:19 AM
raindelay_wa

STEP 3: I unscrew the larg end screws on the top of the inner shaft. (fig 1). There are 2 of them, one on each side. They are phillip screws. (Also known as crosstop).

STEP 4: The flybar spacing ring, then slides right out of the top of the inner shaft. (fig 2)

STEP 5: Then I slide the paddle control arms off of the flybar followed by sliding out the flybar from the inner shaft (fig 3 & 4)

*just a note. After taking out the screws or nuts off of any part, I always put them back into the part. That way, you don't loose the screws or nuts, and you know where they go when putting them back together. I'm sure you all knew that already, but it took me bout 10 yrs to figuire that little gem of wisdom out.

Name:	If10493.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	863315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35306.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	863316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61700.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	863317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53749.jpg
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	863318  
Old 01-28-2008, 03:53 AM
raindelay_wa

STEP 6: Now I am removing the main hex nut from the main blade clamp. There is a nut on the bottom of the main blade clamp, so be sure not to loose it when removing the screw. (fig 1). Repeat for the other side.

STEP 7: I apoligize for the extremely blurry pic. I was not able to go back and get another one. What you are looking at here, is into the main blade clamp. there is a very small nut that needs to be removed in order to take out the feathering shaft. You need an extremely small and slender socket in order to reach in there. In my case, however, I just used my needle nose plyers, and it worked fine. I would however, highly recommend getting the proper socket for this job. (fig 2)

STEP 8: After removing one of the main blade clamps, you can then slide the feathering shaft out. In the book, they call it the main blade fixed shaft. It should be straight, unlike mine, wich is why I started this to begin with. (fig 3) After pulling out the feathering shaft, repeat step 7 for the other main blade clamp.

STEP 9: Next, the fixed hub of center hub set slides right out of the inner shaft.

Name:	Nl29832.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	863323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm35920.jpg
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	863324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66027.jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	863325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82470.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	863326  
Old 01-28-2008, 04:21 AM
raindelay_wa

STEP 10: These are the parts inside of your inner shaft and main blade clamp. Starting from the inner shaft (left to right), you have a rubber o ring, a washer with a large inside diameter, a bearing set, anther washer with a smaller inside diameter, and the main blade clamp. (fig 1)

STEP 11: Next, I removed the large hex screw holding the center hub set and phasic pins. Again, there is a nut on the other side of the hex screw, so don't loose it. (fig 2)

STEP 12: With a little bit of wiggling, I then slid the inner shaft, center hub set with phasic pin, off of the main rotor shaft. (fig 3)

STEP 13: Unclip the forficiform arm from the swash plate. There are 2 of them, one on each side. Leave them attached to the rotor head control arm assembly. (fig 4)

Name:	Gd93537.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	863335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61330.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	863336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty63993.jpg
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	863337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28994.jpg
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	863338  
Old 01-28-2008, 04:42 AM
raindelay_wa

STEP 14: Next, slide the rotor head control arm assembly off of the main rotor shaft. This assembly can be further taken apart by removing the 2 screws and pulling it apart. If any one part were broken on this, I would personally replace the whole assembly. Therefore, I didn't take this apart. (fig 1)

STEP 15: Unclip the push rods connecting the swashplate to the servos. There are three of them. Again, unless replacing them, I would just leave them attached to the servos. (fig 2)

STEP 16: Slide the swashplate off of the main rotor shaft. If you remove the four screws on the top of the swashplate, you can further break it down to get to the top cover, universal ball, and bottom cover. I didn't do that, cause you already know my feellings about replacing the whole part. (fig 3)

STEP 17: Unscrew the hex nut holding the set collar in place. Slide that off of the main rotor shaft as well. (fig 4)

Name:	Yv66304.jpg
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	863344   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50984.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	863345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va70906.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	863346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35505.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	863347  
Old 01-28-2008, 04:58 AM
raindelay_wa

Okay, so lets look and see where we are at right now. (fig 1). For now, I am going to stop working on the main shaft and focus on getting the tail assembly apart....so are we ready??? Lets get to it.

STEP 18: I remove the 2 screws holding the horizontal fin set in place. (fig 2)

STEP 19: Now remove the 2 screws holding the vertical fin set in place. I would leave the mounting brackets attached to the tail boom. Of course, I didn't think of that until after I had already taken them off. (fig 3)

STEP 20: Remove the screw holding the tail sustaining rod to the boom. I left mine attached to the main body. Repeat on the other side, for the other tail sustaining rod. (fig 4)

Name:	Db84377.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	863353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94940.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	863354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq39002.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	863355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45546.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	863356  
Old 01-28-2008, 05:19 AM
raindelay_wa

STEP 21: Next on the list, I unclip the tail push rod from its guiding clips, and remove the tail servo. (fig 1)

STEP 22: I remove the screws holding the tail rotors to the tail rotor blade clamps. (fig 2)

* I forgot to document a step.......unclip the tail push rod from the tail rotor assemby. Leave other end attached to servo.

STEP 23: I unscrew the 5 screws holding together the tail rotor assembly. 5 screws you say?? I only see 4. See the little hole at the very end of the tail rotor assembly? Yep, there is a tiny little screw hidden in there. Sneaky little @##&@!!. (fig 3)

STEP 24: The tail rotor assembly pulls apart into 2 pieces, releasing the tail rotor belt. (fig 4)

Name:	Vt57162.jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	863357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66253.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	863358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89747.jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	863359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56258.jpg
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	863360  
Old 01-28-2008, 05:33 AM
raindelay_wa

STEP 25: Unclip the push rod head from the tail rotor clamp. There is 2 of them, one for each clamp. (fig 1)

STEP 26: Again, I apoligize for the blurry pic. What you are looking at is the end of the tail rotor clamp. Inside is a hex nut that must be removed. (fig 2)

STEP 27: After removing the hex nut inside of the tail rotor clamp, you then can pull it off of the tail rotor blade fixed shaft. Repeat these two steps for the other tail rotor clamp (fig 3)

STEP 28: Next, unscrew the 4 screws( located on the main body, left side) that hold the tail boom in place. You don't have to actually remove the screws all of the way. (fig 4)

Name:	Jh16345.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	863367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93145.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	863368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69023.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	863369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29381.jpg
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	863370  
Old 01-28-2008, 05:57 AM
raindelay_wa

STEP 29: Now simply pull the tail boom out of the main body frame. (fig 1)

So, now the tail is disassembled, its time to get back to the main rotor shaft.

STEP 30: There are 4 screws, one on each corner of the battery basket, that attach it to the main body. Unscrew those.(fig 2) Since I have no plans what so ever, of removing my motor, servos, or ESC...etc., I merely pulled the battery holder off to the side to achieve more room to finish the main rotor shaft. To me, electricity is like magnets. Its all works by magic. Since it all worked before my teardown, and I know for a fact, that if I remove the motor,servos,etc, that I will completly screw everything up, I'm not touching them. Tease me if you want, but you gotta know your limits....lol

STEP 31: On the bottom corners of the battery basket, there is screws that need to be taken out to remove the landing braces and skids. There is a total of 4 of them. (fig 3)

STEP 32: Now, back to the main rotor shaft. There is a hex screw on the very bottom of the shaft called the One way auto driven shaft nut. There is a nut on the other side of the screw, so one more time, don't loose it. Then pull the nut and the main gear downward, and off the end of the main rotor shaft. (fig 4)

Name:	Xv63158.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	863372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57077.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	863373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19475.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	863374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12308.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	863375  
Old 01-28-2008, 06:23 AM
raindelay_wa

STEP 33: On top of the main belt pully, there is a little cotter pin that is pressed into the top of the pully. They call it the cap of synchro belt pully fixed pin. Whatever.... Anyway, this is how I removed it. Placing two fingers on top of the pully itself, I pushed the main rotor shaft from the bottom until the cotter pin was free of the top of the pully. I then used my needle nose plyers and removed the pin from the main shaft. (fig 1)

STEP 34: All thats left to do, is simply pull the main shaft out of the body. The main pully disk and belt pully cap( located under the main pully) and the tail rotor belt itself will fall right out. If you look at the main shaft, you can see a better picture of the cotter pin that must be removed on step 33. (fig 2)

STEP 35: Take a deep breath. I am finished with my teardown. I know that the teardown could be been a lot more detailed. Every single part of this heli can be taken apart. However, this was just a basic teardown. This was more or less just a test to see if I could do it. I don't plan to actually post in detail the rebuild. I figuire, that if you got this far, you shouldn't have to much problem putting it back together with any help. I found, that it took about a 1/3 of the time to put it back together again, than it did taking it apart. I wanted to time the whole thing, to give you an idea of how long it would take, but I ended up doing this over the entire weekend. A few minutes here and a few minutes there. So, none of my times would be acurate. There are some helpful hints that should be followed when putting your heli back together...i.e. tightening the belt for the tail rotor,etc. I however, am not going to post them at this time. Truth be told, its 3:30 am and I am burnt out. If anyone else would like to contribute to these posts regarding how to rebuild your heli, please do. If you have any specific questions for me, please ask. If I don't know, I will probably just lie to you, but at least you will get an answer.

One more thing. Now that you have read this, feel free to take part in my little poll, as to wether or not, I will get this thing flying again. Its all in fun, so don't feel bad if you vote for the worst answer. I'm not gonna jump off a bridge or anything. BTW, did I ever tell you guys, that I was a Marine Corps sniper, and that I earned 12 combat related medals and ribbons in the first gulf war, Somalia, and a couple of other places I can't mention, but go ahead and answer the poll truthfully, I won't take it personally.....lol....Just kidding. Actually, its true, but I am just kidding. Okay, my humor has gone way south, so, its off to bed for me.....have fun guys.

Okay guys......let the post flow....any corrections (I am sure there are a ton), helpful tidbits......shortcuts......insults directed at me.......Thanks to all of you for indulging in my insanity......Raindelay

Name:	Bz78244.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	863382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49992.jpg
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	863383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93810.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	863384  
Old 01-28-2008, 06:43 AM
raindelay_wa

Here is a couple of pics of my rebuild. I still have not recieved my new feathering shafts. As soon as I do, I'lle put back on the main blades, tune it and give it a test flight. I will let ya'll know what the results were. So, stay tuned....HaHa....get it.....stay "tuned".....Okay, I'lle shut-up now.....

Name:	Ec89865.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	863415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69809.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	863416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19550.jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	863417  
Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 AM
court461

My observations.
1. Is cherry coke a sponsor of yours? I see that bottle prominetely displayed in numoruous posts. Did they hire you to subliminaly infect all RC pilots with a craving for the sweet cherry goodness? Very clever.
2. Baby blue jacket? Not that there is anything wrong with that.
3. Noel in the window? Isn't it the end of January? Is your tree still up too?

Seriously, bravo. That is a good job and good pictures. I wish you would have done this two months ago, would have saved me some time, haha. I think this can really help new people with a HBK2. Good luck with your second flight.

Court
Old 01-28-2008, 09:20 AM
court461

Oh yeah, one more thing. I know you didn't show taking the seesaw out of the main spindle, saying if it broke you would replace the whole thing. But the seesaw and spindle don't come as a set, so if the seesaw breaks, you will have to remove it from the main spindle to change. Not too hard, four little screws, but just FYI.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 AM
hollywood54

Raindelay, I must say i am really proud of you.A young man with this much ambition is a welcome sight.You just don't see that kind of drive and determination in young men today.I love learning new things even at my age. Learning about heli's is like taking a college course for the 200.00 cost of the heli well thats a bargain.I think you will do fine when you apply that determination to your flying.Great job and best of luck son.lol[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 01-28-2008, 10:35 AM
N1pster

Small point of interest, take the sticker off your motor, believe me it won't stay there long, best case scenario it comes off and gets shredded by the rotors, worst case it comes off and jams a servo !
Old 01-28-2008, 01:45 PM
kenhiraihnl

hey rain...great job...i'll be referring to those pics from time to time...btw, you remind me of one of my best heli friends...he's oc/anal to the max...in his house, all the screws on the wall switchplates are horizontal...after i crash, he looks at the mess and says,'your washer below the mainshaft collar is upside down'...lol...have a nice day...ken
Old 01-28-2008, 03:44 PM
raindelay_wa

Court.....LOL....let me answer those questions for ya:
1. With the amount of money I have spent on them, I should own the company. I have a very sad, sad, addiction. I drink about a 2 liter of soda everyday. I actually, carry a 2 liter bottle with me where ever I go. However, I also am not very faithful (to my soda....Dear). As you can see, today its diet Carmel cream.......yyyuuuummmmm.....
2. That would be one of my wifes many, many jackets. As you can see, mine is the MANLY leather jacket.
3. Actually, yes, our Christmas tree is still up.....Since my wife and daughters put it up, I am suppose to take it down. I am hoping that if I ignore it long enough, my wife will grow tired of it, and take it down too. As for NOEL, well, it stays up there year around.....its just easier that way.

I did take it further apart than what is in the pictures. The problem that I had, is that a lot of the pictures came out really blurry. A lot of the first few pics, I had to go back and redo. In the process of doing that, I may have skipped a step or two. It was hard to remember, exactly what I did and when. You can see in some of the pics, the order in wich I wrote it, is not exactly the order that I actually did it......

Name:	Yw67750.jpg
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	863712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97238.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	863713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92809.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	863714  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.