Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

HBK2 upgrade, did I screw up?

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

HBK2 upgrade, did I screw up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:34 PM
briz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HBK2 upgrade, did I screw up?

When my HBK2 blew its stock motor, I bought this upgrade
http://www.esky-heli.com/brushless-m...1-pr-2664.html

I also got the 11tooth pinion.
It flew beautifully for about 3 flights of about 10 minutes each, then the new ESC smoked!LiterallyThe heli fell about 5'(no damage)
I used stock battery..........did I do something wrong(I wired it properly)?
Was the 11 tooth pinion the wrong choice?If so, would it fry the ESC after 3 flights?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:59 PM
funflier

Default RE: HBK2 upgrade, did I screw up?

Its rumered there is a problem with the 3100 motor and or Esc used with it. I think one of our online suppliers is no longer offering the motor. You might try a 3rd party controller and be sure to set the the timing for a brushless motor make sure the brake is off and its set for a super soft start.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:14 PM
briz

OK? Now I am lost!
Timing??????Super soft start???????????????
Old 03-09-2008, 11:29 PM
homeunt
My Feedback: (3)

he's saying that usually BL ESC by esky 25a have hard starting like it totally rips the crap out of your main gear.. soft start means it doesn't do that. I think you kinda screwed up using the stock battery on the upgraded motor. The motor is 15~20c and stock bat is 10c.. I wouldn't be surprised if the bat and esc explodes with that combination.
Sinc you smoked the ESC I suggest you to replace it if possible with a better one like 30A by eflite. You have to use 20 or 15c bat to get it working properly
Old 03-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Gittle

I believe that the windings in the 3100 kv motor are insuffecient. Therefore causing too much load on the ESC. The motor is the culprit here. It took out the speed control. Also the Esky speed controls are not the best in the world either. I hope you didn't spend too much money because you got what you paid for. You could possible get the warranteed if you try hard enough HOPEFULLY. You need the 3900 kv for the King II although the 3800 kv will go in there with some mods to the frame. I am runnig the 3900 and it is doing fine. You need a better ESC for the heli though. I run Castle Creations in all of my stuff except the Trex I just bought and it came with an Align ESC and I will us it until it goes out. I have about 15 Castle Creations speed controls and NEVER had one fail. Also any descent ESC can be programmed via the transmitter or the PC. I do mine with the PC and it works wonderfully all though you can do it with the transmitter with a little practice. Send that stuff back to the people you bought it from and tell them you need an exchange and not for the 3100 or the Esky ESC. Good Luck Gittle
Old 03-10-2008, 08:09 AM
noobflyer01

I have the 3100kv with 25a esc from esky. works like a charm. i also have 2 1000mah 10c lipo that i use an jst to deans connector...no problems either. but my 1500mah 20c lipo works best on this setup. but the 1oc works well also.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:58 AM
blk822

I would think that a 11T pinion is to much for that 3100 motor. So I think there was 3 problems here , first the 11 T pinion putting a large load on a motor that dosn't have nuch torque to start with, then a 10c battery trying to put out enough amps the keep up with the load , running through a ESC thats not very strong eaither. you should try running a 9T pinion with that motor if you are going to use a 25A ESC and only a 3100kv motor.....JMO I use the Esky 25a ESC and 10c batteries with the 3800kv motor and a 10T pinion. I switched to the 11T pinion and it really heated up my batteries .Would probly had been fine with 20c batts.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:36 PM
gnd2

Ya, the pinion is what I was thinking to, though I thought I've heard other people using 11t. I have the same motor (3100) and ESC w/ 10t pinion and after 20 or so flights it's still going strong. 9t is too small, it's hard to get enough head speed out of it IMO. 10t seems just about right for me but I'm not doing 3D.

With the wrong battery I could see the battery getting too hot but I don't think it would cause the ESC to smoke.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:17 PM
briz

Thanks for all the info guys!
I went to LHS today and got a CastleCreations-Thunderbird-36 ESC(about $45). Installed it in the heli and took for a spin.......did great!
Still used the 3100kv e-sky motor and original stock battery. Motor did not heat up after about 10 full minutes of hover....ESC stayed cool to the touch also!
battery was typically warm(not burning hot though,just normal)
One thing I did notice is that upon initial startup(that is, spinning main rotors) the heli will jerk 90deg,then when blades are spinning faster....it smoothes out.

Is this the "soft" start I need to set up?I dont find any info in the literature that came with ESC(just battery type,Brake on or off,rotation direction is programmable)

BTW-E-sky e-mailed me back....they are playing stupid,giving the runaround about my order.............whatever,kind of expected that,after all, they are in HK....what am I gonna do???
Old 03-10-2008, 10:58 PM
blk822

The jerking I beleive is the fault with some of the 3100kv motors.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:00 AM
briz

E-sky is continuing their "stupid" act....another e-mail from them claiming that they think that I did not receive the motor and ESC yet!
Right! Thats why I installed it and it smoked.....cause I dont have it yet??????These guys are jackass's[>:]
I wanted to tell them to shove their ESC, but it looks like they may actually send me a replacement, its hard to tell as their English is questionable.
I have already replaced with an american made ESC anyways.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:29 PM
homeunt
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: briz

E-sky is continuing their "stupid" act....another e-mail from them claiming that they think that I did not receive the motor and ESC yet!
Right! Thats why I installed it and it smoked.....cause I dont have it yet??????These guys are jackass's[>:]
I wanted to tell them to shove their ESC, but it looks like they may actually send me a replacement, its hard to tell as their English is questionable.
I have already replaced with an american made ESC anyways.
LOl, once i made a deal costing me 30 bucks for training kit and main rotor and a week later I get those two, I get the exact same package I was like what the... Well nothing lost for me lol
Old 03-14-2008, 02:44 AM
briz

Update, got about a dozen flights on new ESC with 3100kv motor, runnin great(so far)