Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:44 PM
USHobbySupply

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

Great news. Its a nice feeling when you can get a good flying session in and return with a heli in one piece (especially after an oops).
Old 06-29-2008, 08:04 AM
joeyhatch11

Hey Mike, I'm on your web-site looking for the new fly bar and I can't find it. What to do, what to do?
Old 06-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Bones27

Joey, I'm not Michael, but maybe I can help you out: http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product...90b6b72e90e9d8
Old 06-29-2008, 09:11 AM
joeyhatch11

Hahaha I was looking through the Esky Lama stuff and couldn't find it. Thank you.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:47 AM
joeyhatch11

Can you guys tell me what CCPM control system means?
Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Bones27

Joey, I'm not a CP heli person, still working on the FP but this should answer your question: http://www.rchelimag.com/pages/howto.php?howto=6&page=3
Old 06-29-2008, 04:48 PM
superstocktx

ORIGINAL: joeyhatch11

Can you guys tell me what CCPM control system means?
ccpm means:
cyclic collective pitch mixing
Old 06-29-2008, 07:13 PM
joeyhatch11

Only reason why I ask is because I'm thinking about buying a Esky Belt CP. It was either that or a HoneyBee FP and the HoneyBee looks like it has a lot of parts that'll break rather easy. What do you guys think?
Old 06-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Bones27

Joey, have you ever flown a single rotor heli? If you crash a FP most of the time nothing breaks unless it's a big crash, If you do need parts it's maybe $10 and 30 minutes to fix. If you crash a CCPM it will break because of the higher head speed and its $20 minimum in parts and an hour and a half minimum to repair and setup if you know what you are doing. The comments on the CCPM all come from what I have read (remember I don't on a CCPM). The comments on the FP are personal experience.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:23 PM
joeyhatch11

Does a Walkera #4 count? Had that for a while but sold it. Then got a Lama 3 when I wanted to get back into heli's. I fly that thing all over the damn place but REALLY want to advance on to something bigger and a bit harder.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Bones27

Yes the #4 counts. The Falcon 40, #4, EF Sabre and several others are all basically the same.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:44 PM
joeyhatch11

Then what do you think about the Belt CP as my next challenge? Too soon and a waste of money or should I go for it?
Old 06-29-2008, 07:45 PM
joeyhatch11

plus wont a belt drive system operate a lot smoother than have a seperate tail motor?
Old 06-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Bones27

Joey, checkout "Struggling with single rotor basics" thread here on RCU. Those guys have gone thru what you are asking about and have much more experience than I do on this subject and are flying the exact heli you are asking about.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6807677/tm.htm
Old 06-29-2008, 09:10 PM
joeyhatch11

Hey Bones, what I'm getting from that is there saying in most cases it's eaiser to go CP than FP. They claim that you get too many "delays" and "twitching" from a FP due to the fly bar and Tx. I would just hate to spend the money on a new FP heli and have to put even more money into making it last. The Belt CP give me belt drive, brushless smoothness, and a bigger lipo. I think I'll just make the jump to a nice CP and take my time learning to fly it. It's all about the learning experience with this hobby. I really like my Lama 3 but I feel that I've gotten as far as I can with it at this point. But thank you for hooking me up with that thread. I'm going to read more into it tomorrow and ask a few questions on there as well.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:30 PM
superstocktx

Hey Joey,

For the money the Esky King 2 is a really nice ccpm heli right out of the box. I personally have one myself. I did find that I dont like the stock gyro(rate gyro) so I replaced it with a GY400 gyro(no longer in production), its a rate and headlock gyro all in one and you can switch between the two modes from the TX. I flew it stock, flies good. But have since upgraded to all aluminum and carbon(except for the frame). The carbon belt cp is a really nice heli too, a customer of mine has one and let me fly it, flies great!!!.

Hope this helps in your quest for a new heli!!!
Old 06-30-2008, 01:40 AM
GTX SlotCar

ORIGINAL: joeyhatch11

Only reason why I ask is because I'm thinking about buying a Esky Belt CP. It was either that or a HoneyBee FP and the HoneyBee looks like it has a lot of parts that'll break rather easy. What do you guys think?

...They claim that you get too many "delays" and "twitching" from a FP due to the fly bar and Tx. ...
I haven't read that thread, but twitching has nothing to do with a heli being FP or the Tx. An FP heli will still be challenging compared to your x-rotor, but it's easier to learn on than a CP. It's not just that they're tamer, but that you'll spend more time flying them and less time repairing and setting up. They'll also pay for themselves compared to learning on a CP. So, don't think of it as wasting money, think of it as saving money. I have several FP models as well as the Belt CP, HBK2 and several CP models. Of the FPs, the HB FP is the only one that you can use another radio on. So, you can upgrade to a good programmable Tx and use it on the HBFP. It's a good step up. I've had several crashes with the FPs. In minor crashes, nothing breaks. Otherwise, sometimes just a rotor head breaks and can be fixed in 5 minutes. I don't think I've ever had even a minor crash in a CP where something didn't break, or I didn't at least bend a feathering shaft. To change a feathering shaft and re-track the blades takes me about an hour. To build an entire FP takes about an hour.
If you are going right into a CP, though, and flying space is not an issue, the Belt CP is a good one to go with. If your flying space is limited (you're not in a large field), the HBK2 is a good one to go with.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:02 AM
joeyhatch11

As you can see from all my posts, I'm all over the place as to what my next heli is going to be. The HoneyBee was going to be my next choice and one thing I like about it is that my Lama 3 batteries will drop right in. So I dont have to spend more money on batteries. I do feel that the skids need to be replaced ASAP with some SuperSkids and I'll get some new blades on there as well. I'm sure Xtreme makes them.

I just thought going with a belt drive would be smoother,plus it comes with a brushless. But from what I'm reading it seems I'll spend more time on the ground then in the air. And that's something none of us want. Well on Thursday I'll place an order with someone for my new heli. Question now is who has it in stock, the cheapest, and closest so I dont have to wait for ever to get it. hahaha

GTX you have SuperSkids ready for my new Heli? LOL I'll get them this week too.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:21 AM
GTX SlotCar

I think the stock FP blades are still what you'll want for learning. If you get caught up in all the modifications, where changing one thing means you have to change another, you might as well go for the CP right away. Most FP mods are OK for experienced pilots, but make the FP harder to fly for beginners.
Just so you (or anyone) doesn't misunderstand my opinion, I don't think it would be a big mistake to go for the Belt CP 1st, I just think it's easier and cheaper to learn on the FP.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Bones27

I agree with GTX on all points.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Correy

I lost my stabilizer bar today in a crash. It popped off and I never found it Anyone know where I can get one without having to pay enormous shipping charges or if someone has a spare I'll gladly buy it.

Thanks,
Correy
Old 06-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Bones27

Correy, I recommend buying from here: http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product...1e49e3fec531bc Note on his home page that he is out of town on business an is not shipping until Saturday I beleive but check to make sure. You will not find better customer service anywhere.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Correy

Thanks Bones Just ordered the part and a simulator cable for just a few bucks shipping!
Old 06-30-2008, 05:37 PM
joeyhatch11

So I FINALLY got my Xtreme tail boom and support bars. But now I have a problem with the heli drifting backward really bad. To the point where my Tx is turned all the way up for fine adjust. What to do to correct this mess?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:38 PM
joeyhatch11

Oh and I'm just going to order the HoneyBee FP. I'll save on batteries and from what you guys are telling me, I'll be saving a ton of cash. Works for me. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again guys. You've all been a HUGE help. Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.