Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 03:32 PM
1morecrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

I found this helpful specially after hard crashes.
its on here somewheres.
but to reset the 4 in 1 after crashes (if any) I'm getting good at flying
this thing.

first you have to center both the gain, and gyro trims on the 4 in 1.
then hold the heli on one hand from the bottom so as to keep
the blades from hitting your hand in case they start spinning.
and plug the battery, and leave radio off.
youll see the lights turn red and green while its reseting itself
then after like a minute turn on radio, and it should be centered.
off course before this you have to have all of the trims on radio
centered not the throttle it should be on its down position
if this dont work then there might be some parts out of alignment

try it guys and report if it helped any.[8D]
Old 04-10-2008, 03:40 PM
dandodge

Thanks for the reset info 1morecrash As soon as the battery recharges again I'll give it a try and report back.

Danny
Old 04-10-2008, 03:57 PM
dandodge

One question, are you sure I should leave the Tx off, after detailedly reading of instruction (hehe) I noticed it said to do this with the Tx on. I just don't want to burn up the 4 in 1 trying to fix it.

Danny
Old 04-10-2008, 04:24 PM
1morecrash

yes leave the transmitter off.
thats why you hold it by the bottom I grab the batt and hold it
while i plug the bat.

even if you dont do this and follow the instructions
when you change any settings on the 4 and 1.
you should unplug and then plug back in the battery to set the settings you just made.
[8D]

thats why when you first plug the batt. you see the light blinkinf from red to green
its reseting itself everytime.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:27 PM
GTX SlotCar

I don't see how that can reset anything. The LED will probably blink from green to red and red to green while the Rx seeks a signal, and the servos will probably move every once in a while from interference signals. It's possible that the servos could be pushed beyond their end point from the interference and damaged. At least, without the Tx signal, the motors shouldn't start. If something is actually resetting, all this activity should stop on its own, but it's my guess that they'll continue until you turn on the Tx.
Of course, I haven't actually tried it so it's just a guess.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:55 PM
davideh2

I have had no problems with this upgrade at all. Except for the sometimes twitchy Esky ESC this heli flies as well as my CX2.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Aloha NZ

I think Deal Extreme is based in Hong Kong and they are shipping from there. They use the HK post service and they are the cheapest on the market, because you don't pay an extra 20-40 $ for shipping. However they don't have too many spare parts available yet.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:36 PM
GTX SlotCar

The kit I'm talking about it the Esky metal upgrade for the Lama2 (maybe 3 also). Lots of people in the Lama2 forums have had problems with it (this was about a year ago). Some here on RCU and some in RCG. The first problem was the the swash didn't really line up right. The 2nd was what's called the pendulum effect or TBE (toilet bowl effect). The tail of the heli may stay pointed in the same direction, but the heli will go in circles like a pendulum, hanging from a string. Mine was so bad that if left in a hover, the widening circle would eventually lead to total loss of control.
I narrowed down the problem somewhat. There was a lot of side play between the upper grips and the hub. Way more than the stock plastic pieces. On a tip from another poster, I shimmed the hub as much as I could and it helped quite a bit, but didn't get rid of it completely. The lower hub/grips doesn't seem so bad, but someday I may try shimming that if I ever have time. Most of the guys that had this just went back to the stock parts. Esky may have fixed the problem, and I'm not absolutely sure that this is the same kit used on the Lama4. I think it is.
I have more than a dozen helis and don't fly the coaxials that much, but I do like flying them in my office once in a while. Since my Lama 4 and Walkera 5#10 both fly great, there's no urgency to fix the Lama 2.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 PM
dandodge

Ok I called Hobby-Lobby and they said leave the Tx on, center the gain and proportional as well as all trim tabs except throttle which is all the way down and plug in the battery making sure not to let the copter move at all, after you get a solid green light unplug the battery then plug it back in and the 4 in 1 will now be re-calibrated.

It worked like a charm, no more nose drifting after I barely tweaked the gain and it's back to full speed tail response and I have all the trim tabs set at dead center except the throttle of course.

Hope this helps anyone else having problems.

Danny "Crash Master" Dodge

Old 04-13-2008, 03:11 AM
Aloha NZ

I found this in another forum, helps to adjust your heli. Please note it''''s been written for CX2 and the Lama 4in1 should be on the other way: chase the yaw with the prop screw.

1)Remove forward canopy.
2)Set throttle trim to minimum and all other trims at center.
3)Initiate TX, initiate RX and set the heli on ground.
4)Slowly move throttle up, one click at a time, note which rotor starts spinning first. After one of the rotors start spinning, continue to advance the throttle stick until the other one also starts moving. Note the difference in the number of throttle clicks required.
5)If the top rotor starts moving first, then you need to adjust the motor gain pot clock wise (CW). Make this adjustment a little at a time. Repeat steps (4) and (5) until both the rotors start spinning at the same time or at least within one click of the throttle position.
6)If the bottom rotor starts spinning first, then you need to adjust the motor gain pot counter clock wise (CCW). Again make this adjustment a little at a time. Repeat steps (4) and (6) until both the rotors start spinning at the same time or at least within one click of the throttle position.
7)Once you have gotten the rotors to start spinning at the same time, when slowly advancing the throttle stick one click at a time, you are ready to do a flight test. Go ahead ad do a flight test and see if you can adjust the yaw issue with just the trims now. You should be able to adjust any remaining yaw with the trim tabs now I was able to do this with my CX2.
8)Ones rudder trim has been adjusted to your satisfaction, land the Heli.
9)If the trim tab was moved to the left, then rotate the motor gain a very very small amount CW and go to step (11), else go to step (10)
10)If the trim tab was moved to the right, then rotate the motor gain a very very small amount CCW and go to step (11).
11)Set rudder trim tab at center and fly the heli again.
12)If you have turned the motor gain too much then the heli will now rotate in the opposite direction to what it did at step (7), so you will have to repeat from step (8) again.
13)Have fun flying the CX2."
Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 PM
AZheli

What do you guys do with your antennas? I saw a video with the straight wire just hanging down full length & flopping around. It''s not practical to wrap the wire around a skid, as some manufacturers do.

I found a tidy solution: Get one of those red coffee stirrers from Jack-in-the-Box. They''re larger than a regular stirrer, yet smaller than a soda straw. I just feed the wire thru from left to right, then loop it thru again lefty to right -continue until I reach the end (about 3 loops. It fits into the tail og the v4 & also the v3 I just got today.

The stock blades are about useless. I just got some of the blades from DealExtreme , as well as a 900mA battery - cheap prices, free shipping and I''ve yet to break or chip one of the new sets of blades - just took them off & put them on the v3 when I finished up the Xtreme 180 motor install, complete with the Xtreme blades (even better!).
Old 04-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Jason Paul

Yeah, I just put on a set of those Deal Extreme blades a couple of days ago. SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than the stock blades, and $2 a set... and free shipping!

Get some.

Jason
Old 04-15-2008, 11:41 PM
Aloha NZ

Does anybody have a new 2.4G Lama V4 which comes with new digital servos? I wonder what difference it can make.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:58 AM
GTX SlotCar

...3)Initiate RX, initiate TX and set the heli on ground....
I wouldn''t recommend doing it in that order.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:25 PM
dandodge

Nuff Said
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86937.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	930727  
Old 04-16-2008, 03:29 PM
dandodge

On my Lama V4 I leave the antenna in the tail boom where it came from the factory. I''ve had no problems at all with it there.

Danny
Old 04-17-2008, 06:26 PM
gasrc

Dangit, I admit it. Me too.

I actually had a Rotofly first, but that was a total handful and turn-off for me. Year's later I bought a Reflex. I ended up taking it back to Wal-mart because of some eletrical issues, but it was a tough toy. It had poor forward flight though. Then I saw the Lama 4 recently after looking at the CX2. I saw the price of under $100 shipped and figured that it was going to be much better than the Reflex, but not nearly as good as a CX2. Wow, was I wrong! This this is great. I just need more batteries and a faster charger (if it can be charged faster safely).
Old 04-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Aloha NZ

@ gasrc

It can't be charged faster, so you'd better get more batteries and a dual charger.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:03 PM
N1pster

Wonderful little heli
Seems if you upgrade the swash etc, whatever you do don't use the upgrade blade grips, they are the biggest cuplrits for tbe.
Have mine to a point when it will quite happily hover where you leave it (hands off) and my partner even had her 1st flight the other day (didn't cause too much damage).

Thought you my enjoy these or give you some ideas for customizing your own.

CX2 Xtreme Kit, Xtreme Blades, Xtreme Motors, Esky Copy Upgrade swash, head etc, Artwork by her who shall be obeyed.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76847.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	931703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86658.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	931704  
Old 04-17-2008, 10:49 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

My parts haven't arrived yet for my V4 but should be here within days. Cannot wait to get it in the air again.
N1pster, very nice upgrades. You got the same ones that I did but I did not know what boom, canopy and skids to buy to fit the V4. Which ones and where to buy? Thanks for the advice on the blade holders too. I will adhere to that advise and not put them on my bird. That TBE just ticks me off and is very frustrating. My little reflex was doing that untill I bent the upper flybar a certain way untill it stopped. I have had it about 6 months now and still fly it about twice a week but it flys nothing like the V4 when it is tuned right.
Did putting the metal upgrade kit on your V4 enhance forward flight much?
Jeff
Old 04-17-2008, 11:16 PM
edgeemon3

Hi everybody looking through i wanted to let everybody know that this heli is great .But your right i got the hirobo cnc kit but i only used the rotor head and the swash plate . the blade grips will give u tbe bad. I also have the extreme extended shaft with the dynam shorter fly bar performance is up and im just waiting next to put the longer servo arms on next for more forward flight. Have fun guys ill let you know how the servo arms work out.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:20 AM
1morecrash

wow [X(] is all I could say yesterday when I got my parts in
from this place. I got the Harder lama blades and turbo shaft.
and what a diff. blades are way tougher then the stockers.
and the shaft gives the helli faster response.
tough blades, just ask the wife I hit the camera while trying to
get a vid for you guys. no broken blades even after it hit the floor.
will post pics and maybe a video next week.

http://www.rchelicoptershop.com/catalog/
Old 04-18-2008, 02:15 PM
gasrc

I don’t have my manual with me right now, but I was looking at Xtreme blades on the net and saw that there is an upper blade set and lower blade set. I was under the impression that all the factory blades were identical. Are the stock blades identical? I did notice that the upper blades had a β€œ4” on them and the 4 extras in the box had either a β€œ2” or β€œ1” on them.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:15 PM
1morecrash

they are different they rotate on opposite directions dont mix them up.
there is an A and B .
Old 04-18-2008, 04:26 PM
dandodge

heh, mixing them up, that would be an interesting way to try and achieve a "collective pitch" co-axial heli. Wonder if it would just try and do barrel rolls across the floor. ROFLOL

Danny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.