Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:19 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

Shenlonco,
Every lunchhour (M-F) I fly in the "Rec" room. I'm spoilt for size. It nearly echos in there! At the moment I am trying to get someone else's Dauphin up & pumping! I will try 2 post a couple of photos below.

Peter
P.S. I've never tried any (Lamas or Dauphins) outdoors yet!
Your lucky try flying in a 10x12ft room!!
How do you get that body off that Dauphin looks hard.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:05 PM
pgroom_68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shenlonco,
As other Dauphin owners will testify it is quite simple just remove the two CF rods just as you would on a Lama, but (as you can see in the third pic above) there are two cutouts near to the adjustments for the 4-in-1 so a 'screwdriver through the window' is all that is needed to reach the pots - better than removing the fore part of canopy I believe to adjust the gyro gain or the proportional!

Peter
Old 12-01-2008, 05:20 PM
downunderdog

I ended up cutting a window into the bubble of my Lama V3 in order to adjust the 4 in 1 pots without having to take off the canopy. Probably helps to keep it cooler in there, too.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

I have always cut holes an any of my canopies or bodies that get in the way of adjustments[8D] I like to dremel as small as a hole as I can get away with to keep it looking good.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:55 PM
shenlonco

look here scroll down...my air vent job don't look so bad...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_73...27/key_/tm.htm
Old 12-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Wheelnut

I know, I seen it, looks great.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:05 AM
pgroom_68

Hey all,
Shenlonco, I have just got off ebay Australia where I won a blue Lama 4 already upgraded with metal head for $71 AUD. + shipping
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180309443777&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=008]Pete's Latest Lama4[/link] (It IS second hand)
I have airy II blades to put on it so my latest bird will LOOK like yours and (when it arrives) I will change over the Tx straight away to be mode 2 and do the "rachet mod" also! You won't know our two birds apart![sm=shades_smile.gif]

Peter
Old 12-03-2008, 09:10 AM
shenlonco

Hi yes it will look just like mine....only diferance is mine is the 2.4 version!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:22 PM
The Collector1

Hi after only a month of ownership and new to the heli thing I think I caught the bug. This is my V4, its funny because I like and fly the modded version alot better than stock, I have it to the point where I can hover and let the controls go for about 30 seconds before it want to walk away, also my gain is off or all the way to the left, is that normal?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76193.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1083428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86268.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1083429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99983.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1083430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66933.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1083431  
Old 12-04-2008, 01:35 AM
pgroom_68

Hey Collector,
Quite a "hanger" you've started there! I like! [sm=shades_smile.gif]
"Normal" is different for different people - whatever works for your setup is OK with us. R U flying inside (no breezes)?
I have a stock lama that will stay still (out of GE) while I have a lay down and shut my eyes for about the same time as yours (30 sec) I can tell if the noise changes that it is moving or about to 'slip away'! Great these little co-helis. What type of blades are those on your modded bird?

Shenlonco,
I keep forgetting that you have 2.4G. Why did you find it necessary to cut those holes in canopy for cooling? I mean, was there a near failure of the 4in1 or something?[sm=confused.gif]

Downunderdog,
Do you only have a Lama3 or other helis also?[8D]

1500valk,
I've tried again with the painting of my Dauphin canopy, but I'm not satisfied enough with the result to post it yet.

Does ANYONE know of a good source of heli transfers (in particular Police helis) that I could use? (the original picture that I am using as a reference is [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7311577/mpage_25/key_/tm.htm]here[/link]) (post 616 and page 25 if this doesn't work)

Thanks for your help

Peter
Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 AM
The Collector1

Thanks pgroom_68 for the complements, the blades are extreme blades, I also have the harden blades but I find that the motors work harder, or spool up alot more to lift off with the harden blades than with the extreme blades so I will only use them as back up, I do fly outside but it has been breezy here lately and since Im still new Im taking it easy
Old 12-04-2008, 09:12 AM
shenlonco

Hi the holes in th canopy and triming it lower around the rotor helps things stay cooler...the way i see it cooler is better...Right?
Old 12-05-2008, 06:36 AM
The Collector1

I didnt mean harder as in heat I meant harder to provide lift, with the extreme it will lift off at about 1/4 stick but with the harden its past the 1/2 way or past center before it lifts
Old 12-05-2008, 04:28 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: shenlonco

Hi the holes in th canopy and triming it lower around the rotor helps things stay cooler...the way i see it cooler is better...Right?

Shenlonco,
Obviously you are correct. I just wanted to know if there was any heat problems YOU had that prompted the punching of all those holes, 'cause I for one have never even got close to damaging a 4in1 and I have seen my share of 'em (around 45-50). But, due to their price here, I don't think it wise to buy just another 4in1 from internet. It is always cheaper to get another whole Lama (ebay Australia 2nd hand) and keep the rest for parts. That is in Sydney. Cool[sm=shades_smile.gif]. (pun intended) Thanks for answering my questions.

Collector,
I don't recall "harden" blades - are those made of white tougher thicker white plastic like "Xtreme hardened blades" heaps better than originals (which r junk)?[sm=72_72.gif]. The lift of which you speak is provided by a combination of things, but mainly the pitch at which you have bent the blades (on these FP helis). [see "instruction manual"]. The airy II blades which have thinner but more resilient plastic has a greater pitch manufactured into them (and more appropriate chord) so they bend on impact with hard objects (eg. walls/trees/grandmas piano etc) - but coning is increased due to their more flexible nature. The opposite can be said of Xtreme whites - they are thicker (more resilient) plastic which cones less and THUS provides greater lift. The black blades which came with my Lama 4 I learnt to just take off and "store" 'cause they are made of a cheaper-to-manufacture brittle plastic that has medium lift vs minimal coning - so it is a compromise situation.
That is a simplified version - there are as mentioned, many different factors going into these critical parts. NOW IS EVERYBODY FEELING CONFUSED? As with most things there are no clear cut winners and losers - whatever suits you is OK by me.

In a totally different direction...are all those model planes that you've owned (eg. TT01...pajero) listed under your posts?[sm=eek.gif][X(][X(]
Peter
Old 12-05-2008, 05:40 PM
The Collector1

Airy Harden blade II are the ones I have, yes the stock are crap I broke 3 of them before I switched to the Extreme. I guess Im so use to the Extreme blades that anything else is weird

No what listed are R/C cars and trucks that I own but I cant list all of them because of the limited space, I only have 3 helis since I started a month ago, Im getting a Honey Bee for xmas so that will make 4
Old 12-05-2008, 08:18 PM
The Collector1

Has anyone seen these batteries I bought them a few days ago, it was 4 for $36, they work good just like the stock one

Name:	Fc90058.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1084477   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26958.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1084478  
Old 12-05-2008, 10:14 PM
hottrk51

Hate to ask again but anybody have a solution for TBE? I've tuned, adjusted and replaced parts. Stock blade grips with purple aluminum swash, and rotor heads. Still TBE!! Help!

BTW, Xtreme landing skids work great, take a beating and keep ticking. RECOMENDED!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Wheelnut

Your blades might be too loose or too tight.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:30 PM
hottrk51

How loose/tight should they be? Got a torque spec for the screw?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:51 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: The Collector1
No what listed are R/C cars and trucks that I own but I cant list all of them because of the limited space, I only have 3 helis since I started a month ago, Im getting a Honey Bee for xmas so that will make 4
Collector,
I have a workmate called Cameron who is a RC car guy from way back, a while ago bought a Lama4 (and crashed it bad) - but "loves 'em" also. LOL. What is it about controlling things at a distance??
I buy 10 x "mystery" 20C LiPos at a time from ebay Australia. That way, I always have some sitting in parts box for workmates to buy. But, you guys will want two I think: [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2x-7-4v-20C-LiPo-Battery-Apache-Walkera-LAMA-V4-V3-RC_W0QQitemZ150313080891QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Toys _Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles?hash=item150313 080891&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318]2 x Mystery 7.4V 900mAh 20C LiPo[/link] and/or [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-Mystery-Lipo-Battery-7-4v-900mAh-20C-For-RCHelicopter_W0QQitemZ170283228974QQcmdZViewItemQQ ptZRadio_Control_Vehicles?hash=item170283228974&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177] 2 x Mystery 20C Lipo for Lama[/link] REMEMBER THEY ARE OUT OF HONGKONG so shipping may take a while to you!

Hottrk51,
That is my suggestion also. Your blade grips are too tight! (yes, it could be that simple) They should be just tight enough so they don't "fall" by themselves when the heli is tilted!
If that doesn't work try something else (systematically like you are). You will eventually get it! Please report back when you do to help others with similar troubles.

Thanks & sorry I can't try these things myself on your heli [sm=shades_smile.gif]. I like doing all this detail.[8D]

Peter

Old 12-05-2008, 11:13 PM
shenlonco

Hi i figured put holes in just to get more air over the parts for better cooling... Also in the blades i have the airy II blades I see you had them all what one you like best?

Also on the blades i have mine set up so when you hold the heli sideways the wieght of the blades causes them to fall down.... I found really lose blades work better mine flop all around when moving the heli around in my hand.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:19 PM
pgroom_68

Hi Shenlonco,
I can't decide which are better the Airy II's or the Xtreme whites. They are BOTH a huge improvement in stability and power in FF - and you don't have to change them everytime you strike something!!
Do you like the Airy II's?

Peter

Come one guys we can make it to page 30 if we try hard enough!!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:29 PM
shenlonco

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

Hi Shenlonco,
I can't decide which are better the Airy II's or the Xtreme whites. They are BOTH a huge improvement in stability and power in FF - and you don't have to change them everytime you strike something!!
Do you like the Airy II's?

Peter

Come one guys we can make it to page 30 if we try hard enough!!
Hi i only ever had the stock blades so the airy II's to me are 100% better than the stockers...but i never had any others to compare them to so i can't tell.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:39 AM
downunderdog

Downunderdog,
Do you only have a Lama3 or other helis also?
I started with one of those tiny little foam ones that use IR instead of RF for control, but it broke pretty quick (connectors on the little PC board in the heli broke off). Then I got a mosquito - little coax with a third motor on the tail with the tail rotor in the horizontal plane to lift or drop the tail to get forward flight, but it wasn't controllable enough for me to really enjoy it. Then I got the Lama V3, which is enough for me - I'm pretty busy and have two young kids, so having something that I can fly around the living room when I have a spare 15 minutes is good. I also have a couple of planes - started with a Hobbyzone Super Cub, then "advanced" to a Parkzone T-28 Trojan. I'm starting to play around with depron and other modifications (converting a multiplex fox "chuckie" glider to electric/RC). I've thought about moving up to a better heli - either a HBK2 or a Belt CP, but I don't really have a good place to fly it or the time to dedicate to practicing, so I'll probably stick with planes in the near future... maybe I'll make the jump right to a TRex 450 if I do go with a CP heli.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:37 AM
pgroom_68

[/quote]
I started with one of those tiny little foam ones that use IR... Then I got the Lama V3, which is enough for me - I'm pretty busy and have two young kids, so having something that I can fly around the living room when I have a spare 15 minutes is good...I've thought about moving up to a better heli - either a HBK2 or a Belt CP, but I don't really have a good place to fly it or the time to dedicate to practicing, so I'll probably stick with planes in the near future...maybe I'll make the jump right to a TRex 450 if I do go with a CP heli.
[/quote]

Hey Down-under-dog,
My story is that I started with a Walkera Dragonfly #36 collective pitch heli, then I bought another one just for parts (and upgraded it to brushless)...found it too scary[X(] to fly comfortably due to large, noisy spinning blades etc, so downgraded to Walkera #4 Fixed pitch which is a lot better (and bought another for parts). Do you see a pattern emerging? I followed all the advice of the DF#4 thread right here @ RCuniverse (GTX Slotcar et al) and Radds School of Flying and got pretty efficient at crashing! That FP can (and often did) take a hammering! Sometimes dropping from 30 feet high and just getting up and going again!
If you go that way my biggest suggestion is a SUPERSKIDS kit (which includes landing gear, rear horizontal & vertical stabilizers, a tube for the aerial and even a bead to go on the "knighthead" to help it skim across the floor easier). I eventually upgraded to a full metal head from [link=http://www.eastcoasthobbies.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8_30]here[/link]. I was getting 10-12 minute flight times without crashing at that time! I recommend that you try something in the FP range before going CP or you will spend all your time fixing things and not enjoying flying!!
Then I heard that some of the guys that I work with in the maintenance department were interested in co-axial helis "'cause ANYONE can fly them!" Around the same time my son was born so that took all my cash for a while until my wife started working again, and slowly I have been getting into Lamas, Dauphins & even an Airwolf[sm=shades_smile.gif] (all 4-channel co-ax and mostly Esky), setting up a "help" box @ work so if anyone who owns one of these and breaks a part can get one from the box cheaply without waiting! I have worked out that I am only losing AU$5 per month 'cause regularly someone will buy a new Lama4 through me and I will make a profit on that - see how it works? Anyway, I am losing interest in flying and concentrating on modding - trying my hand at canopy painting this weekend.

Peter
P.S. I mainly fly indoors in room pictured & I prefer Dauphins (I think they are more aerodynamically stable in FF but shh don't tell anyone!)

Name:	Fd91342.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1084771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38668.jpg
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1084772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96724.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1084773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj19069.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1084774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87350.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1084775  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.