Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

Old 12-23-2008, 04:04 PM
hottrk51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

Wheelnut, you da man! That fixed it.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:28 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Hednin
...Dead solid hover, really quick action on the tail and not-too-bad forward speed and banking turns. Lots of fun, so it is possible to use the metal swash and turbo shaft while avoiding the dreaded TBE. (A drop of lube on the swash helped mine settle down nicely, btw)

Best part about picking up a new gear-head hobby?? All the new jargon and acronyms!!! Toilet Bowl Effect indeed!
Hey again Matthew,
Well, TBE is just sooooo accurate a way to describe what happens! LOLOL
So you are saying there IS hope. I had all but given up on that 2nd hand one with the metal swash and Turbo shaft. I was about to raid it for parts for the other (more original) Lama4s & Dauphins that I have, but you have again given me hope to [cue violin music] "strive for the impossible"!!
Question - what do YOU use to lube swash? I spray liberally with silicon-based spray! I know I should use graphite powder or 3in1 but I am lazy when it comes to shopping for products anywhere but on-line.
Peter
Happy holidays
Old 12-23-2008, 09:37 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: John5757
Hi I was thinking of getting the LAMA4 or the CX2 as my first Heli since some of the videos that I have seen shows great control and I hope I get enough flying time at the mile high City of Denver
Hey John,
I can't compare the Lamas with the CX2 'cause I don't have a CX2...Just want to say that these Counter-rotating helis ARE stable enough so you can also show "great control". Just don't expect to much for the price you pay. It can not fly upside down (inverted), for example, but is a great indoor flyer and O so stable at hovering in loungerooms all over the world
Welcome to your new hobby[8D]

Peter
Old 12-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

I have both and I really don't think the CX2 is worth the extra money. If it was close I would buy the CX2. One thing that I like about the CX is the servo placement. It makes it easier to adjust the servo horn linkage for more travel. With the Lama you have to find and install a longer servo horn and then trim the body because the servo horn will then hit the body. Not that big a deal but it is more to deal with than with the CX. Also the battery for the Lama is better because the stock battery is 900mah and it will not fit the CX with out modding it. Other than that they are basically identical. I haven't tried switching the bodies yet, but I will soon.
Here is a pic of the CX
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78738.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1095493  
Old 12-23-2008, 11:23 PM
pgroom_68

When someone buys a Hunter fuse, could they please post if it will be able to fit with minor modding onto the lama4 body. Thanks

Peter
Old 12-24-2008, 01:23 AM
martin34

I have fitted my extreme upgrades and i think my first ever attempt at leveling the swash worked quite well.I seem to have quite a bit of boom vibration and i am not sure if that is normal or not but it did it with the standard boom aswell(V3 not V4).I still have the nose turning to the right even with the trim set all the way over to the left so i think the screw driver is going to have to come out.One thing i find quite annoying is that as the battery power runs down the trims need adjusting again.I am sure its not just me and have read about that somewhere earlier in the thread.Flight time isnt long enough either.Just as i get the hang of it the battery goes so i have ordered an extreme battery and the extreme se180 motors to try and get me more time in the air.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:29 AM
EQMOD

Here is my flybarless dual swashplate Lama V4. All stock including shaft except for the servos and mods on the head. With the dual swash mod, upper and lower blade discs are always in parallel thus NO BLADE STRIKES

Fast Cyclics;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji25IlTZ46I

Playing around with the cyclic gyros in heading hold mode;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R1WHEZsgUM

Video Documentation;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2saLIMN9_as

Wind Fight! Demoing the strength of the cyclics and no blade strikes;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYVfG841Eio

Old 12-24-2008, 06:45 AM
joeyhatch11

I see the videos and that heli looks plenty fast. Pretty nasty for a Coaxil. But how stable is it without the flybar? Looks a bit bouncy....
Also what are those electric boards on each side of the heli?
Old 12-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Wheelnut

Joey, you beat me to my two questions.
What are the boards for?
How long can it hold a very still stable flight?
Old 12-24-2008, 07:53 PM
EQMOD

The "bounce" you see is basically the pilot's habit of varying the throttle while in flight such as this one while testing stable hovers and 'quick yaws'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Rk7PSJn_Y

Those boards on the side are gyros which is actually the key to a flybarless stability. THere is one "cyclic" gyro attached on each servo.

As to how long for a still stable hover, with a properly trimmed cyclic gyros, i can say pretty much the same as the stock Lama with the flybar.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:45 AM
pgroom_68

Hey everyone,

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a [size=7
]Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year[/size] from Down Under!

Happy flyin' all[sm=shades_smile.gif].

Peter
(Watch those Boxing Day sales)
Old 12-25-2008, 05:35 PM
motormat

so got a v4 for xmas first flight first crash first break =[ sad day cant fly my v4 =[ me = heli noob broke the head i believe the thing at the top where the stabalizer runs through it =[
Old 12-25-2008, 07:16 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: motormat

so got a v4 for xmas first flight first crash first break =[ sad day cant fly my v4 =[ me = heli noob broke the head i believe the thing at the top where the stabalizer runs through it =[
Sorry to hear of your sad day...try UShobbysupplies.com for spare parts - you can't go wrong! [link=http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product_info.php?cPath=31_54&products_id=487&osCsid=dcc9a20a71cdc8602290b6b72e90e9d8]link to inner shaft[/link]

Peter
Old 12-25-2008, 07:41 PM
motormat

Thanks man
Old 12-25-2008, 11:16 PM
timz3818

What blades are the best?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:30 AM
amad

I got a v4 for Christmas too. I've put 2 batteries through it now without any breaks. Just a couple tip overs and the flybar popped off, but went right back on. It seems to fly pretty well out of the box. It might need a few little trims to make it perfect. It BARELY drifts forward and right even with the trims on the TX all the way trimmed. By the way, do you have to unplug the battery and plug it back in for the TX trims to work or do they work right away?
Old 12-26-2008, 01:29 AM
downunderdog

The tx trims should work right away, in real time (like, during flight). I have always done adjustment of the two little screws on the 4-in-1 with the heli's battery disconnected, as I think that the gyro needs to reset after you've turned them. The screws on the 4-in-1 seem to have more effect than the tx trims,so adjust them a little bit at a time.

You may need to mechanically adjust the linkage from one or both of the servo's if you're drifting fwd/right with full opposite tx trim.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:01 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: timz3818

What blades are the best?
The Xtreme white blades are the last blades you will ever buy! They are less flexible than the originals - which as you know are cra*!! Alternatively, you could go the other way and get more flexible Airy II blades (more flexible=more "coning" (upward bending) of the blades. Either way is a HUGE improvement over the "insults to our intelligence" (ITOE) that come with it. (They lack flexibility entirely and are just brittle beyond belief) So, you see there is no easy answer to that question.[8D]
If presssed, I would go with [link=http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=269&osCsid=dcc9a20a71cdc8602290b6b72e90e9d8]these[/link] (just don't forget to order BOTH upper & lower sets! [ELS005 & ELS 006][sm=shades_smile.gif]

Peter
Old 12-26-2008, 03:58 AM
Blaine126

Hey all, just got a lama 4 for christmas. i am new into the helicopter side of rc models, used to race trucks, so i really dont know much abt the helicopters, i read the manual and everything then took it for my first flight, and for some reason when it starts to lift off the ground it keeps moving backwards. I have tried playing aroud with the trim and nothing helps, can some1 pls help.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:39 AM
downunderdog

If the swash plate is level but the heli is going backwards, it could be your CG. Try moving the battery further forward. You can hang the heli from a string from above the flybar and see if it tilts backwards to check (do this with the battery installed, but not connected).
Old 12-26-2008, 04:46 AM
downunderdog

I have the "harden" blades from rchelicoptershop.com - I bought a pack of 3 sets about a year ago and am on my second set.

http://www.rchelicoptershop.com/cata...s-c-22_28.html

It looks like they now have the "Airy harden blades" which are lighter and more flexible(?), so if I were getting some now I'd probably get them.

I'm very happy with the harden ones, and shipping from Hong Kong was quick (to Australia, anyway).

At the same time, I ordered the turbo shaft and the metal upgrade parts. Most of the metal parts (all of the blade grips, anyway) I removed due to TBE.... I kept the metal swash and the longer inner shaft. The connection to the flybar on the top of the shaft is much more secure than stock. I haven't lost a flybar since getting the turbo shaft, and I also haven't had a blade strike. I used to lose the flybar a lot before the upgrade.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:07 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: martin34

Flight time isnt long enough either. Just as i get the hang of it the battery goes so i have ordered an extreme battery and the extreme se180 motors to try and get me more time in the air.
Martin,
Did you order the Xtreme motors from the U.S.? For faster delivery to you (due to them being in HongKong), and cheaper (change currency conversion on RHS middle of site) that produce just as much torque and are just as smooth running as se180s try [link=http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_info.php?currency=GBP&osCsid=70113e6ad2b1cae813e0d5ab7f127d33&cPath=25_76&products_id=554]here[/link]
I bought 3 x sets from them and they are great...just as good as the Xtreme..quarter the price...but from HongKong, so there is NO benefit in waiting for the Americans amongst us! Sorry.
Also, there is a lot to be said for getting 3 or 4 batteries - you can get them on ebay UK. That's enough from me...going to bed now[sm=tired.gif]...the Boxing Day sales have taken it all out of me...zzz zzz zzzzzzzzzz

Peter
Old 12-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: Blaine126

Hey all, just got a lama 4 for christmas. i am new into the helicopter side of rc models, used to race trucks, so i really dont know much abt the helicopters, i read the manual and everything then took it for my first flight, and for some reason when it starts to lift off the ground it keeps moving backwards. I have tried playing aroud with the trim and nothing helps, can some1 pls help.
Welcome to the club and forum. We are all here to have fun and help each other.
When getting into a hobby like this, joining forums can be a ton of help and it ads fun to the hobby. When running across a thread like this, the best thing to do is to read the entire thread first. It is very likely that your question has already been answered. It helps keep redundancy down. This thread isn't even that long. I have read 300+ page threads before asking a question.
Again, welcome and happy reading. During this process you will also learn about the people you are speaking to.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:17 PM
cjennjr

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE!! I just received a 2.4G Lama V4 for Xmas - did three flights indoors (I already have a Belt CP and Raptor G2). The Lama is fun to fly; however, the ticks on the throttle stick won't let me maintain a stable hover. I have to always adjust one click at a time to raise or lower - it won't go stable for nothing. Maybe I'll adjust the trim tab and see what happens. Speaking of trim, my right trim for the rudder is all the way to the left to maintain a straight flight. What do I have to do to maintain without having the tab all the way to the left?? I look forward to sharing my experiences with this forum.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:28 PM
amad

Well, I've flown 4 battery packs through it so far. One whole battery pack was flown with an inch of one of the lower rotors broken off. It still flew decent...not as well than with it, though. I replaced the blades and flew some more. I think I'm getting decent with it. I have flown 2 of the packs outside..MUCH MORE FUN. I can actually move it around. The living room is just not big enough to do much more than hover. Anyway, only damage so far was the one blade and a cracked canopy. I was flying forward, sideways, and turning at the same time about 20 feet up. I guess I didn't think about giving more throttle due to all the actions. Well it came down FAST. I chopped the throttle off to try to save the blades, which just made it hit faster. The blades survived, canopy did not. It still works, just has a big crack going around it.
One question. When I plug in the battery, I've been having the heli sit really level. Is that necessary, or can I hold it and do it? I thought it might have to sit level and still to set the gyro. Is that right? Anyway, it's a lot of fun.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.