Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:46 PM
superstocktx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

ORIGINAL: dandodge

Has anyone tried putting longer servo control arms on? I know this would require some modification to the canopy but I'm wondering if it would also make the heli a little more aggressive? Just a thought.

Danny
It will make it more aggressive!!
I'm going to do that as soon as I get longer horns for the servos, since the factory cuts them down to fit or if you know someone with a dead coco lama v3, there uncut on those.
The aluminum swash plate will make it alittle more aggressive to and more stable

Dennis
Old 05-04-2008, 11:59 PM
flying-shark

Glad to help, feel free to ask if you need more help
Dude that was excellent, you're a Legend. Yes, please send me details of your mates shop, I will get my stuff from him )

Gona give my Lama a service when I get home, cant wait to get it flying like yours!
Old 05-05-2008, 12:03 AM
N1pster

The canopy only requires a couple of small slots cut.
Yes the arms make it more aggressive, I'd recommend working your way out to the furthest hole on servo arm, give you a chance to get use to the differences.
As for the swash, tightens up the head a little (less slop) other than that, not much different.
You'll probably end up with something like this

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64618.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	943115  
Old 05-05-2008, 12:34 AM
flying-shark

for testing purposes you can fly the heli with canopy off(while making adjustments), but never attempt to fly with tail off. get use to making adjustments
Oh yeah Dennis! She's smoother than ever! Im gona keep practicing for when I get the upgrades. If you guys need IT/Router advice ever i'm your man. Really appreciate your time mate!
Old 05-05-2008, 12:37 AM
flying-shark

ORIGINAL: N1pster
You'll probably end up with something like this
Damn Nipster, thats one sweet looking Lama!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:15 AM
superstocktx

ORIGINAL: flying-shark

for testing purposes you can fly the heli with canopy off(while making adjustments), but never attempt to fly with tail off. get use to making adjustments
Oh yeah Dennis! She's smoother than ever! Im gona keep practicing for when I get the upgrades. If you guys need IT/Router advice ever i'm your man. Really appreciate your time mate!
He doesnt have an online store so if you want, Send me your city and zip code so we can get a quote on shipping, you can send it to me: [email protected] or his shop e-mail: [email protected]
Old 05-06-2008, 10:07 AM
1morecrash

yeah I think Im done with upgrades for now she flies smooth and true.
this harder blades are way stronger then anything else I tried.
check it out.

video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9UVeqelC8k
Old 05-07-2008, 10:25 PM
superstocktx

ORIGINAL: 1morecrash

yeah I think Im done with upgrades for now she flies smooth and true.
this harder blades are way stronger then anything else I tried.
check it out.

video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9UVeqelC8k
Looks good, where did yo get that tail boom and fin?
I got brave the other day and was flying mine ouside the hobby shop(my second home) in a very slight breeze, it did pretty good. i was getting bored flying inside my house and inside the hobby shop.

I'm trying to find servo horns to fit the esky servos, so i can put alittle more throw to the swash plate and have more control in the breeze. got any idea's where to find them?

I'm in the prosses of upgrading my ESKY KING 2 with full aluminum, carbon fiber and going brushless. even tho this is the v4 thread, i'll post some pics of the KING 2 here in a few days of the little beast
Old 05-11-2008, 08:43 PM
superstocktx

Here are some pics of my heli's. Sorry for the bad pics I need a new camera

Name:	Ay75102.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	947719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75840.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	947720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97046.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	947721  
Old 05-13-2008, 09:05 PM
BigTruckDriver

just got my lama and the trims are maxxed out, is this normal? it seems i need more adjustment.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:03 PM
superstocktx

ORIGINAL: BigTruckDriver

just got my lama and the trims are maxxed out, is this normal? it seems i need more adjustment.
what lama did you get? v3 v4?
the v3 is much harder to control than the v4
some adjustments of the trims are normal(after lift off), with all trims centered except for the throttle trim(throttle trim all the way down) the heli should stay pretty much in a 1-3 foot area with out much input. if you lift off and it goes flying to the left/right/fwd/back you will need to adjust the control links that go from the servos to the swash plate. if adjustment is needed, carfully pop control link off swash plate and adjust arm as nessisary. you have two control links, one controls right/left the other is fwd/aft. my v4 is at the hobby shop(my second home), so...i forgot witch side controls what movement. and as far as the yaw trim(tail trim) its kinda hit and miss because it will change as the battery wears down. with a full battery and yaw trim centered, the tail drifts to either side you will need to adjust the porpotional(on the 4 in 1 mixer) this will be the adjustment closest to the tail. the front adjustment(the gain) controls how tight the tail is held in place and how fast it reacts to your inputs. if the gail is set to high the tail will twitch side to side rapidly but will have a faster reaction to inputs. less gain will make the tail looser and not react as fast to inputs. to check and see what link needs to be adjusted, turn tx on then power up heli, move right stick for/aft and see wich servo moves. it will fly without front canopy on, this makes it easy to make adjustments to the links. all in all they are great helis, but each one is different out of the box, i work part time at a hobby shop and fly them alot of them. i have all the aluminum upgrades on mine except for the blade grips(dont waste ur money on the alum.grips). the aluminum swash plate takes out most of the slop and makes it more aggressive. i just got done upgrading my esky king 2 with full aluminum, carbon fiber and went brushless, cant wait to fly it.

hope this helps, feel free to ask for more help if you need it,
Dennis
Old 05-13-2008, 11:22 PM
BigTruckDriver

yes , thanks for the help. its a lama v4. Should the links be equal length? 1 is about 1/8" shorter than the other and the swash plate is not level.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:34 AM
superstocktx

yes , thanks for the help. its a lama v4. Should the links be equal length? 1 is about 1/8" shorter than the other and the swash plate is not level.
the links will not nessisarily be the same length and the swash plate should be level and square with the frame with trims centered
Old 05-14-2008, 09:49 PM
BigTruckDriver

Ya , the swash plate is not level with the trims centered so I will work on this to gt it as close as level as I can. Also when I get it to hover it seems as if times it wanders to the left I adjust trim and its fine for a few minutes then it starts to wander to the right . It seems I am chaseing the it to the right and to the left , is this normal? I guess if anything its a good way to learn the controls to keep it straight. From ready the pages before this one it seems I need to adjust the gyro. I can see the tail twitching a little.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:12 AM
superstocktx

you will never get the heli to stay in one exact spot, it will always wander some. even real helis wander some and my esky king 2 wanders also, but this is all normal. as far as what ur talking about it moving left then correcting then going right, more than likely its slop in the plastic swash plate. i would get the aluminum upgrade swash plate. you can buy one for about 15 bucks. i work part time at a hobby shop we have one in stock if you are interested in buying one.

slight twitching is normal(some of this can be from normal vibration), you just dont want the tail swinging right or left more than say... 1/8-1/4" plus or minus and this is in my opinion a personal preference. i can take a wildly out of control heli(not trimmed right) and hold it within a 3-4" spot.

glad to help,
Dennis
Old 05-15-2008, 09:38 PM
gasrc

ORIGINAL: gasrc

Oops. I made a mistake by mentioning the E-Flite blades. I meant Heli-Max.

Clif notes:
Esky blades suck!
Venom blades are much better!
Heli-max Blades are way better than Venom blades!
I haven’t tried the rest of the market yet.

Long notes:
Just breath too hot on the the stock blades and they are trashed. The Venom blades took the same hits without damage. Harder hits created dings that made for vibration. Any cut would warrant a blade change. Heli-max blades work even with dings and cuts (to a degree, of course). I have a BB sized nick in one of the top blades now, and it flies fine. This amazed me, so I did some inspection. I found that the Heli-max blades are about 30% thicker than the Venom blades and less easy to bend.

Next experiment:
I bought 8 sets of non-branded blades on ebay for a little over $6 including shipping. That’s’ scary cheap, but hey…$6 is not that big of a gamble, so I figured it was worth a try. I’ll report when thy come in and I give them a few flights and dings. I’m a bit better at the sticks now, so I’ll probably damage a couple sets on purpose just for the data.

UPDATE:
After over 2 weeks of my order, I finally got [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-32pcs-Lama-Apache-Helicopter-Propeller-Rotor-Blade_W0QQitemZ220235696503QQihZ012QQcategoryZ2563 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]THESE ebay blades in[/link]. DO NOT BUY THEM!!! They are as thin or thinner than the original blades that came with the heli, more flimsy than the original blades, the holes are too small, and it made the heli nearly impossible to control. Too little throttle, it would fall. A hair more throttle it would climb. The gyro was having a heck of a time trying deciding which way the nose should point. It was like a drunk pilot was at the stick. I tried radio adjustments, gyro adjustments, and resets. Nothing helped. I couldn't believe it was just the blades doing this, so I finally put the slightly dinged Heli-max blades back on. Control was instantly back in my hands!!!! Those ebay blades are amazingly bad. The $6 spent was worth the experiment.

So from best to worse so far that I've tried.
Heli-max $4/set... flies great/ very tough
Venom $?/set...flies great/ tougher than Esky
Esky $?/set....flies ok/ not tough at all
Ebay $6/8sets...horrible on another level, unflyable / I didn't keep them on long enough to damage them.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:39 AM
1morecrash

well you should try a set of the Harden blades. I just ordered another set
just in case they ever fail, not likely though.

so far Ive run into a wall, no damage, my tv no damage,
the wifes head no damage [] ( there I though they were toast )

Ive had a set on there for a month and still look brand new.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:18 AM
BigTruckDriver

I just ordered uppers and lowers of the stock blades. 3 sets of each 6 uppers blades and 6 lowers blades for 5 dollars for uppers and 5 dollars for lowers. Thats enough blades to last as long as the extreme blades or real close. I stayed with the stock blades since the extreme blades are stronger that also means they are heavier. Heavier is not always good , maybe good for beginners like us? Also cause they are stronger you will end up breaking the next weakest part, cause you will crash. I'll stick with replacing light weight cheap blades instead of having heavy duty, heavier weight, blades breaking other parts.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:18 AM
downunderdog

well you should try a set of the Harden blades.

I agree. I have a set and am very happy with them. A couple of little dings in the leading edges which I have sanded out... and I just changed my transmitter from mode 1 to mode 2, so I'm continually backing into things when I get nervous and try to cut off power. A couple of hard wall crashes, a table leg crash, etc. I would have gone through several sets of stock blades.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:40 AM
gasrc

I just ordered uppers and lowers of the stock blades. 3 sets of each 6 uppers blades and 6 lowers blades for 5 dollars for uppers and 5 dollars for lowers. Thats enough blades to last as long as the extreme blades or real close. I stayed with the stock blades since the extreme blades are stronger that also means they are heavier. Heavier is not always good , maybe good for beginners like us? Also cause they are stronger you will end up breaking the next weakest part, cause you will crash. I'll stick with replacing light weight cheap blades instead of having heavy duty, heavier weight, blades breaking other parts.

I disagree.

Yes, heavier is generally not an attibute with small electric helis. and Yes, in general, you should keep the most easily damage - easily accessible - easily purchased part as-is. This is why steel spur gears are a bad idea on many RC monster trucks. However, when it comes to blades on this heli, the stiffer, stronger, heavier blades actually increase performance once you get comfortable with the heli and start flying more aggressively. The reduced blade flex makes increases the response of the heli to your commands. The shape of the Xtreme blades supposedly require lower rpm for the same given thrust. As for breaking the blades to save the other parts, the folding action does that for you. When you hit something with the blades, just pull the throttle back quickly to avoid excess strikes during the crash.

If you aren't willing to get th Xtreme blades yet, get Heli-max blades made for the Axe-EZ. They are MUCH better than the Esky blades and cost WAY less: $2 for uppers and $2 for lower. Yes, they are heavier than the Esky blades, but I have seen only increases performance and I haven't noticed a decrease in flight time.

I'll be trying the Xtreme blades soon. I've broken only one set of Heli-max blades, and I 've had more crashes with them than the Esky blades and Venom blades I've used combined. The only reason I'm crashing now is trying new, more risky stuff. The Esky blades are not a good product. Don't buy any more of them.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:07 PM
BigTruckDriver

ORIGINAL: gasrc

I disagree.

Yes, heavier is generally not an attibute with small electric helis. and Yes, in general, you should keep the most easily damage - easily accessible - easily purchased part as-is. This is why steel spur gears are a bad idea on many RC monster trucks. However, when it comes to blades on this heli, the stiffer, stronger, heavier blades actually increase performance once you get comfortable with the heli and start flying more aggressively. The reduced blade flex makes increases the response of the heli to your commands. The shape of the Xtreme blades supposedly require lower rpm for the same given thrust. As for breaking the blades to save the other parts, the folding action does that for you. When you hit something with the blades, just pull the throttle back quickly to avoid excess strikes during the crash.

If you aren't willing to get th Xtreme blades yet, get Heli-max blades made for the Axe-EZ. They are MUCH better than the Esky blades and cost WAY less: $2 for uppers and $2 for lower. Yes, they are heavier than the Esky blades, but I have seen only increases performance and I haven't noticed a decrease in flight time.

I'll be trying the Xtreme blades soon. I've broken only one set of Heli-max blades, and I 've had more crashes with them than the Esky blades and Venom blades I've used combined. The only reason I'm crashing now is trying new, more risky stuff. The Esky blades are not a good product. Don't buy any more of them.
There is a time and a place for everything and what your first paragraph says is true with a modified heli. Useing those blades on a stock lama will slow performance, IMO. Probably not all that noticable. When useing those blades its best to upgrade the motors and batt. But now were getting into personal preference if you feel you need them cool, I dont until I upgrade batt and motor and gain more confidence with the heli. When that happens I will get the extreme blades.I really dont see any problems with the stock blades . If your running into people and chairs and walls the blades are the least of your problems.

Best performance the extreme blades should be used with these motors , or better, the stockers are weak/cheap. http://www.ka-planes.com/inc/sdetail/6867
You can also use a batt like this http://www.ka-planes.com/inc/sdetail/8787 . If you want aggressive that should get you closer.

Heaiver blades with more pitch on the stock units is like adding training gear. I would think you lose some of the sensitivity. But like I said this is MY 2 cents ,my personal opinion,you do what you feel with your heli, just have fun...
Old 05-17-2008, 02:39 PM
choppersrule

Hi fellas,

Just thought I'd chime in.. I received my Lama V4 about 2 months ago. Stock out of the box, the blades will break if you look at them crooked. I've upgraded my Lama with Extreme upper and lower blades, Extreme extended inner shaft, Extreme 180 super motors with silver brushes, and the Extreme 850 mAh 18C-20C discharge rate. With these upgrades I find that the Lama really is a good fast little heli. I also have a HBK2, Belt-CP and Logo 10. Keeps me out of the wifes face.

Also, see the Americana Blades that I'll be getting shortly. Hand crafted and an expert paint job, by "Flyingheli".

Dave / Choppersrule

Name:	Ay74242.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	951140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48556.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	951141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88732.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	951142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82142.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	951143  
Old 05-17-2008, 06:02 PM
jaketrouble

if anybody has a friend that is looking to buy a lama 4 i am selling one in the for sale forums cheap.. upgraded unbreakable skids and extreme upper and lower blades. only 1 month old.. 4-5 flights. sorry,,no charger. check out my ad in the for sale forums,,jake trouble.

p.s i would put the link up but that is not allowed.. this may even be against the rules?????

Name:	Fd91947.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	951243  
Old 05-17-2008, 11:03 PM
BigTruckDriver

I found this helpful specially after hard crashes.
its on here somewheres.
but to reset the 4 in 1 after crashes (if any) I'm getting good at flying
this thing.

first you have to center both the gain, and gyro trims on the 4 in 1.
then hold the heli on one hand from the bottom so as to keep
the blades from hitting your hand in case they start spinning.
and plug the battery, and leave radio off.
youll see the lights turn red and green while its reseting itself
then after like a minute turn on radio, and it should be centered.
off course before this you have to have all of the trims on radio
centered not the throttle it should be on its down position
if this dont work then there might be some parts out of alignment

try it guys and report if it helped any.[8D]
so, would it be best to center the trims before each flight. What are the stock settings for the proportional and gyro?
Old 05-17-2008, 11:27 PM
superstocktx

I found this helpful specially after hard crashes.
its on here somewheres.
but to reset the 4 in 1 after crashes (if any) I'm getting good at flying
this thing.

first you have to center both the gain, and gyro trims on the 4 in 1.
then hold the heli on one hand from the bottom so as to keep
the blades from hitting your hand in case they start spinning.
and plug the battery, and leave radio off.
youll see the lights turn red and green while its reseting itself
then after like a minute turn on radio, and it should be centered.
off course before this you have to have all of the trims on radio
centered not the throttle it should be on its down position
if this dont work then there might be some parts out of alignment

try it guys and report if it helped any.[8D]
so, would it be best to center the trims before each flight. What are the stock settings for the proportional and gyro?
always center trims before plugging battery in, turn tx on first. then adjust trims if needed in flight. turning heli on without tx on does nothing, well....... it might take off on its own and crash!!!!!

once you adjust gain and porportional you should not have to mess with them, unless something major happens.

order replacement motors you'll need them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.