Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:41 PM
pgroom_68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESKY LAMA 4 THREAD

ORIGINAL: erdnuckel2
...as long as you leave the weights all the way outside, I doubt that stability will significantly increase if you go back to the stock flybar. The only instant I would agree on this, was if your 3Dpro flybar wobbles around obviously more than the stock on does (up/down - left/right moverment)...

Regards,
Hey again Sven,

If the flybar is a standard L4 flybar with the black plastic-encased weights cut off and replaced with [link=http://www.helitek-rc.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=60]adjustable weights[/link], there cannot be any increase in "wobble" or play within the head (up/down - left/right movement). There IS a little increase in play within the head if running a Dynam Vortex steel flybar - but I was assured this was good - less binding. Do you agree?[sm=50_50.gif]

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16224.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1233534  
Old 07-10-2009, 08:55 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Jack the R
ORIGINAL: jnail
I can buy at least 5 sets of aero nuts motors for that,
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding of the longevity of brushless motors vs brushed motors, you will buy 5 sets of aero nuts motors before the brushless guy has to change his. At least. Maybe 50 or an infinite amount, if the bearings in the brushless motors are replaceable.
In the long run the brushed motors are more expensive - the question is, does your Lama have a ''long run,'' or are you going to move on to single rotor helis? $100 is a lot for a brushless Lama - it's about what I paid for a new Honey Bee, brushless main and esc.
Hey again Jack,

You are correct on all counts!

P.S. I have seen a BL upgrade for the Lamas - but was not even interested - due to the fact that I fly FP helis daily also!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:28 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: stalyoni
just found this on youtube. An ORANGE v4 :
lets hope that front orange canopy becomes a stock part for esky. I want to try one (even though the stock ones brake easy), looks bad ass
Hey again Brendon,

Straight to [link=http://www.walkera-parts.com/shop/index.php?currency=AUD&cPath=10_32&osCsid=hkjg3qam1k3ulbmbevab8n8b24]the source![/link]
As you can see - there are only blue or silver still available as parts - but you can buy a [link=http://www.rc711.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=121_21&products_id=1932]whole helicopter[/link] with an orange "limited edition" canopy/fuselage!
The only diff that I can see is that orange fuselage - so I don't think they will be in a hurry to release their "hook" separately....But I do hope that they release the canopy as a spare part eventually..... It would look nice at the park!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:08 PM
stalyoni

Ok I just got back from the park with my mate and he took some videos on his nokia n97 (these aren't released in AUS yet). He didn't even have it as the best quality, but I think my videos came out ok.

I decided this morning to put some stock CX2 skids on my heli. I used an elastic back to hold the battery in (doesn't look the best but works like a charm). I don't have a battery bay on my heli as I normally use the extreme productions skid set and holds my battery in great . I do use the velcro mod but after a while its not holding the best. I also used a stock blue canopy (the one with the teeth removed , wink wink Peter). I noticed my lipos are not really giving me the best out of my motors anymore. I can normally do faster speed runs. I forgot to charge my TX batteries so I was losing signal here and there.

Anyways here is some videos of my V4 down the park. I ended up stripping the bottom gear. I thought my canopy shoaring mod was helping that but obviously not. I was quite proud of my landings. There was hardly any wind at all so it was perfect conditions. The video while i was on the phone my heli had stripped the bottom gear fairly badly so i was just messing around

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntS1EXjoG_w[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMW4lKgY1EA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAvOZrDeQt0[/youtube]

I would love any suggestions or feedback please and dont forget to rate my videos please
Old 07-10-2009, 11:23 PM
pgroom_68

Ok I just got back from the park... I also used a stock blue canopy (the one with the teeth removed , wink wink Peter). I noticed my lipos are not really giving me the best out of my motors anymore. I can normally do faster speed runs. I forgot to charge my TX batteries so I was losing signal here and there.
Anyways here is some videos of my V4 down the park...I ended up stripping the bottom gear. I thought my canopy shoaring mod was helping that but obviously not. I was quite proud of my landings. There was hardly any wind at all so it was perfect conditions. The video while i was on the phone my heli had stripped the bottom gear fairly badly so i was just messing around
I would love any suggestions or feedback please and dont forget to rate my videos please
Hey again Brendon,

All I can say is WOW - you've really improved your control. Must be all the practice. I can nearly fly my BOL like that - but not quite! I have the extended shafts for it being shipped to me now - then I just need to install and get used to it - then we will have a competition on our hands - haha

No, I really enjoyed watching that flying - your heli is now flying to its full potential again.....(nearly time for you to progress to a bigger FP)

P.S. May I add that if you want to improve further with the L4 - you may want to copy the flying style displayed here:
[link=http://www.rchelicoptershop.net/catalog/lp0002-turbo-shaft-for-lama-dauphin-comanche-p-342.html]scroll down within this link to view videos[/link]
P.P.S. I did rate the video on youtube as 5 out of 5 stars - awesome!
Old 07-11-2009, 02:08 AM
MentallyDeadKev

Loved the videos bud.
I can't wait to be able to fly like this.

I'm hoping to get more vid's up soon of me flying near my park, fingers crossed the weather will be nice when i go down there tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:28 AM
stalyoni

I just had a look at your new video MDK and yes it is much more stable. Nice flying champ. It seems like you keep giving it allerion as it rocks from side to side. I would concentrate on getting a nice smooth hover going and then pick a path and try and move your heli along that path. Focus on one point on the heli, i usually focus on the central hub bearing as it the middle of the heli. You are doing very well, im proud of you.

Any ideas about my bottom gears stripping out. It seems to be coming into contact the top motors pinion slightly, but this only happens very randomly. I have been using a peice of canopy shoaring in between both gears. Is there ment to be something in between or is that small dome shape on the bottom gear meant to hold them apart?

I don't think I ill go brushless. But I think I will purchase some skids and lipos from Peter next week. I dont think my motors are doing there full potential atm.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:30 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: MentallyDeadKev
Loved the videos bud.
I can't wait to be able to fly like this.
I'm hoping to get more vid's up soon of me flying near my park, fingers crossed the weather will be nice when i go down there tomorrow.
Hey again Kev,

Outdoors - rough Tx trim - up to 3 feet altitude - Tx trim there - hover nose away for beginners! Pretend your heli is in a imaginary box and try to keep it still while you concentrate for 1 minute. Land - look at your hands. Then try it again....

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. I hope your weather is as good as ours was today[sm=shades_smile.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 07-11-2009, 02:34 AM
pgroom_68

...Any ideas about my bottom gears stripping out. It seems to be coming into contact the top motors pinion slightly, but this only happens very randomly. I have been using a peice of canopy shoaring in between both gears. Is there ment to be something in between or is that small dome shape on the bottom gear meant to hold them apart?
The dome shape is supposed to provide enough clearance by itself!
You should try diff'rent AFCSystems motors - I have a feeling that the pinion placement has moved on the ones you've got - and it sounds like you are in the market for new motors also....

Old 07-11-2009, 03:22 PM
zzip

I need a little help guys. I got my Lama V4 A while back {first Heli, I'm a plane guy} and crashed it right away. I didn't touch it for months, just played with every FMS heli sim I could find and read most of this thread. Today I installed the W-Sky Aluminum upgrade from HobbyWing.com. Well what do ya know, all that simulator time paid off. Flew it fine and landed without a problem! But I did notice something strange. Every FMS Heli I've downloaded has the rudder control on the right stick. My Lama V4 rudder is on the left stick, like Mode 2 for planes. Any ideas?
Old 07-11-2009, 11:23 PM
Kelownan
My Feedback: (1)

Well after over a month of having the Lama, i have finally managed to break something.

Clipped some twigs and she came down upside down and busted the head, nevermind cos its plastic and now i can schlap in the turboshaft WOOOOO! and got full length servo arms too, busted the main gears too from the shock of the shaft being rammed down half an inch.

Brendon how did you get your lama to be that fast. i mean to say what parts have you currently have on it.
cheers

kel
Old 07-12-2009, 12:09 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: zzip
I need a little help guys. I got my Lama V4 A while back {first Heli, I'm a plane guy} and crashed it right away. I didn't touch it for months, just played with every FMS heli sim I could find and read most of this thread. Today I installed the W-Sky Aluminum upgrade from HobbyWing.com. Well what do ya know, all that simulator time paid off. Flew it fine and landed without a problem! But I did notice something strange. Every FMS Heli I've downloaded has the rudder control on the right stick. My Lama V4 rudder is on the left stick, like Mode 2 for planes. Any ideas?
Hey zzip and welcome,

Mode 2 (which I fly and the majority of people on this thread) - groups all of the cyclic controls (fore/aft & left/right roll) on the right stick, while leaving the throttle & rudder (left/right nose movement or "rotation") controls on the left stick. THIS SEEMS TO BE A MORE NATURAL THING (for me) 'CAUSE OF THE COMPUTER CONTROLLERS MOST OF US GREW UP WITH.
Mode 1 adopts the opposite controls where the throttle is on the right stick along with the left/right cyclic - and the rudder & fore/aft cyclic are on the left stick! WITH ME SO FAR?
So it sounds like the downloads for FMS that you have done all have mode 1 defaults.....

Recently I have tried flying a sim at the helimeet with Mode 1 - and it does take a while to get used to - but I would like to report that IT IS POSSIBLE to relearn the controls successfully!

Flying a plane uses a different aspect to heli flight and I'm sure it would take me a while to adjust to that sport - as I have never even tried flying a plank before!!

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. I personally can change over a Tx between modes in about 5 minutes. The only tools you need are a philips screwdriver and long-nose pliers - and there are plenty of pictured tutorials about cyberspace - just choose one and follow it! You don't have to reverse any channels so don't even think about changing those lower-RHS switches! (The tutorial will tell you which inside dip switches to change - they are usually located under the batteries)...............
P.P.S. There are also other combinations known as Mode 3 and Mode 4 - but it is highly unlikely that FMS would be default for these.

The pic below shows how mode 2 has throttle on the left and 3 out of 4 trims centered before flight
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19047.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1234281  
Old 07-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Jack the R

There's a place in FMS where you set what the controls do.

There are instructions here - [link=http://www.heliguy.com/Forum/how-to-set-up-fms-with-your-4ch-transmitter-t27411.html]Link[/link]

zzip - My guess is you've had FMS set up "wrong," i.e. some way other than mode 2. Every heli I've tried has been mode 2. Admittedly I haven't tried a lot of helis since I've only got a 4 channel transmitter to use with it.

pgroom 68 - Fire up FMS and try some planes! There's a ton of cool models on the net. Most fly a lot like Honey Bee in FFF.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:27 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Kelownan
Well after over a month of having the Lama, i have finally managed to break something.
Clipped some twigs and she came down upside down and busted the head, nevermind cos its plastic and now i can schlap in the turboshaft WOOOOO! and got full length servo arms too, busted the main gears too from the shock of the shaft being rammed down half an inch.
Brendon how did you get your lama to be that fast. i mean to say what parts have you currently have on it.
cheers
Hey again Kel,

I won't list Brendons upgrades - but just say that it is a combination between longer servo throw, extended shaft, stiffer blades, adjustable flybar and stronger motors...... (with a stronger frame & skids to absorb the impacts)

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 07-12-2009, 12:29 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Jack the R
pgroom 68 - Fire up FMS and try some planes! There's a ton of cool models on the net. Most fly a lot like Honey Bee in FFF.
Hey again Jack,

Nothing disinterests me more! Yawn.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:00 AM
zzip

Thanks guys. I should have guessed my FMS was set for Mode 1, since the descriptions of all heli's I downloaded were either in German or French! Now I'm gonna set up my FMS for Mode 2 and re-learn everything. It's cool, I've got time!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:02 PM
jnail

Brendon, can you remind me what you have in your bird?

Nice video's looks like it works pretty good.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:24 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: zzip
Thanks guys. I should have guessed my FMS was set for Mode 1, since the descriptions of all heli's I downloaded were either in German or French! Now I'm gonna set up my FMS for Mode 2 and re-learn everything. It's cool, I've got time!
Hey again zzip,

You won't regret it - that will set you up for life!

Old 07-13-2009, 01:13 AM
MentallyDeadKev

Well i finally changed the blade grips back to the stock ones.
Took her out for a flight yesterday and she went nuts and crashed, i took one look at the blade grips to find them hanging off with all the screws falling off.

Yesterday wasn't fun flying, it seemed all the adjustments i'd made to get her to hover had just gone right out the window and i had to start all over again.
By batt 3 i'd finally got her to hover nicely again but by this time i was getting a little annoyed with all the changes.

I think the room i'm flying about in is way too small and the heli is just getting blown about, i make a slight adjustment one way and then it seems fine for about 30 seconds.

I have yet to have a steady hover, i've tried everything i can think of and no matter what i adjust it just doesn't seem to hover in one place.

The weather is looking calm today so far so i'll be taking her outside to have a wider area to see if it really is the room causing all the problems.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:44 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Kelownan
cheers
Hey again Kel,

Just let me remind you to PLEASE do up the two screws onto the inner (Turbo) shaft's flat spots upon reassembly! You would be surprised at how many people (including myself once) wonder why their heli is just sitting there - or spinning around CCW - and not taking to the air after they have changed out an inner shaft [and not done those two screws up in the correct place!]

Have fun (and thanks so much for the link to controlfreaks.co.nz as it is a great site IMO)!

Peter
Old 07-13-2009, 04:06 AM
stalyoni

hey guys I took my heli out the day after I made those videos. There was a gust of wind and it took my bird down hard. It ended up totally smashing my canopy. I have pictures after my crash but i couldnt be bothered uploading them now. I will have to get another extreme canopy i think as I have split my one at the end. I have also lost the bigger blue buttons that hold the canopy onto the shoring (do you have any pete ?)

The parts in my heli are:

AFC systems motors
Extreme productions kit: including extreme skids, extreme canopy and extreme boom (MDK this is the one you linked us to mate)
Aluminum upgrade parts. I have a mix of blue and purple ones on there
Turbo shaft (from miracle mart)
Dynam steel fly bar with weights at 3.5cm's in from the head
Extreme blades (just ordered some yellow ones so i will have a mix of yellow and blue soon)
Longer servo horns. Servo arm fitted in second last hole from the furthest end from the servos
Battery mod. I have different coloured velcro on each battery so that i can tell which batteries i have flown threw
4 x 900mha mystery lipos (they are dying and I need new ones very soon)
heatsinks installed on both motors
stock servos with cable ties holding them in tight as I fly outside and they have come loose in the past
stock central hub bearing holder (I had a blue extreme one but i lost it, i got a CX2 one from the LHS but it does not fit)

I usually trim my heli so that the pitch trim is all the way back. Then when i get to the park and depending on the wind I can then set it accordingly. Setting the trim this way gives me alot of room to make the pitch servo throw forward even more. This helps ALOT when your doing speed runs.

Just so you all know, those videos are not the best speed runs I have done. My lipos are not the best so my motors are spinning up to there full potential. When i get some new lipos and a new canopy and we finally get a calm day I will show you some real speed runs.

I have been learning alot by flying outside and ill give you an insight into that next time.

Happy flying all
Old 07-13-2009, 04:22 AM
pgroom_68

...I have also lost the bigger blue buttons that hold the canopy onto the shoring (do you have any pete ?)
Just so you all know, those videos are not the best speed runs I have done. My lipos are not the best so my motors are spinning up to there full potential. When i get some new lipos and a new canopy and we finally get a calm day I will show you some real speed runs.
I have been learning alot by flying outside and ill give you an insight into that next time.
Happy flying all
Hey again Brendon,

All I've got is [link=http://h1071118.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=DUB221]this stuff[/link] - and I cut it into small lengths for canopy shorings (sorry). Aren't they included when you purchase an Extreme canopy? If not order some at the same time to save shipping.

P.S. I only have GE Power Lipos now - one of the guys at work just cleaned out the other (inferior) lipos!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Gothic

Hi Everyone,

Any input on the Xtreme Delrin Lower Gear ?
Good, bad, or ugly?[sm=teeth_smile.gif]
I finally found them at a decent price. Ordered a few.

G.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:04 PM
erdnuckel2

ORIGINAL: Gothic

Hi Everyone,

Any input on the Xtreme Delrin Lower Gear ?
Good, bad, or ugly?[sm=teeth_smile.gif]
I finally found them at a decent price. Ordered a few.

G.
Did you also order ONEcomplete unit (shaft ANDgear) Gothic? 'cause they will not just fit on a regular outer shaft, you need an Xtreme outer shaft to use them ...

Sven

Old 07-13-2009, 04:18 PM
stalyoni

I forgot to mention i was in jaycar yesterday and I noticed that they had parts for helicopters. I asked the guy and he said there for the apche type helicopter they had. I looked at the parts and they look almost identical to the esky ones. They are also made out of that harder white plastic. I might take some parts down and see if they match as the parts where quite cheap. On of my local hobby shops used to stock esky parts, but now he doesnt. The other one only stocks CX2 parts, and they quite expensive. I got a extreme central hub for the CX2 and it didnt fit. Anyways I noticed that there was a card in my mail box yesterday so they must be my miracle mart parts, so I will pick them up soon and get my heli going way better again.

Your heli is like boat, you keep pouring money into it to keep it afloat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.