Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

HBK2... Flying like a pig

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

HBK2... Flying like a pig

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Dom68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HBK2... Flying like a pig

It''s great to get back into this hobby after taken some fifteen years off due to lifes other obligations. I date back to miniature aircrafts pioneering days around 1990 with my first X-Cell 60. Boy, this hobby has come a long way, especially with the electrics.

Anyways, I am tring to fix a HBK2 for a freind and it flies sluggish compared to my CP Pro, of course with my DX7 radio. Everything is stock including radio. I especially notice that the fore ''N'' aft throws are marginal which would explain having to use a lot of cyclic at times to control it properly in flight.

This is how I have it set-up...

Left stick down all trims centered, swash plate level, control arms level, servo horns level, paddels level and approx. -1 degree on the main blades. I don''t know what else to do to make this heli more nimble in flight. Mechanically, it feels lose with no binding just needs a little more input on the controls in flight then I am used to. Is this normal and have I just become very spoiled with my DX7 or is there something else that I am over looking.

Domenick
Old 04-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Rosebud6

Default RE: HBK2... Flying like a pig

Upgrade motor and speed controller. Stock wont last but a few flights anyway. ( I didn''t wait until mine died, didn''t want to repair it until it was my fault for crashing.)
I bought and lots of people recommend the 3800kv and @ least a 25a ESC.
Also recommend a HH gyro and the 43t pulley from Extreme productions.
My 2 cents.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Dom68

Without a doubt Rosebud6. The stock motor is horrible and gets very hot which has to be hard on the batteries. I guess what I meant about the heli flying like a pig is I would like to see it fly a bit more nimble. The fore and aft servo throws are very marginal and the head feels sluggish in flight as though more throw would fix the problem or something. Again, maybe I am spoiled with my DX7 radio with my heli or theres something else I can do mechanically to set this HBK2 to fly with more cyclic authority.

Rosebud6, thanks for the recommended upgrades as I will suggest these parts to my friend. Hopefully he''ll upgrade so to prevent first degree burns to my fingers for touching that heat sink...LOL...man dose that motor get hot...

Domenick
Old 04-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Zimatosa

Hey,

Sounds good to me, but .....The King 2 is very sensitive to where the C.G. is as well. Make sure that after you installed the battery, the CG is darn near better than perfect! You might need to shift some weight around(forward most likely).If your swash is correct and the servo arms are close to straight out 90 degrees and the paddles are correct, there is no real reason for it to be so piggish. Also, make sure the blades are near perfect in tracking. The plastic head tends to be sloppy, any little bit of bad tracking can cause trouble(titanium turn buckles from Xtreme are the best fix for tracking perfect, you don''t ever have to disconnect the linkage from the balls and it is a finer tune). I posted a fix on King2 Tuner Shop thread to get the fly-bar center holder tight as tight can be as well..takes about 5-10 minutes depending on mechanical abilities. I have one more suggestion other than that: youtube.com has videos made by a dude named Subzzzzero on how to get a King2 ready for flight with great results. Just type in King 2 set-up videos. I think there are 7 in all so start at number 1 of course!

Good luck!! Don''t forget to have fun!

Peace,

Z
Old 04-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Dom68

Thanks Zimatosa. The CG was so far off. Sorry, its been 15 years or so and I am a commercial heli pilot, so I should know better. Just to let you know, the front portion of the skid was 3/4 of an inch higher then the rear portion of the skid and that was with the canopy installed. I did all my test flights w/o the canopy for easier inspection. What was I thinking. Thanks again....

Domenick
Old 04-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Zimatosa

Glad that the forum can help....God knows that I have needed this place so many times!

Have fun....

Z