Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

DYNAM ESC 30A

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 07:10 AM
cwalls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DYNAM ESC 30A

Installed a dynam 30A ESC on the Belt CP and when spooling up as the stick is moved nearly to half throttle the bird has a hard start and spins a couple of times. It is like power is put to the bird all at once before you can control it. Is their a solution to stop this and get a more softer and controled start up? Also the blades start to tilt prior to getting any power to the motor. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:42 AM
KCinNC

Default RE: DYNAM ESC 30A

ahhh..i took mine off after a couple of days...i got a Pentium 30a and a program card, now i know exactly how my esc is setup without having to guess !!!! super soft startup works like butter
Old 06-19-2008, 10:47 AM
homeunt
My Feedback: (3)

Programming card can help I think.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Zimatosa

Keep the trim for throttle all the way in the down position....If you are programming the ESC with the trim in the center, the throttle curve will be messed up.

The Dynam works great if it is set-up properly....The programming card is the easiest way to achieve proper set-up. I have the same ESC and I set it manually with no problems. Make sure that for an out-runner motor, the timing is set to Hard, and with a heli, you always want the brake to be off. It should sound like this if you have it set correctly:
Be Beep (when you first plug in the power meaning brake off). Then Be Beep,Be Beep,Be Beep,Be Beep,Be Beep(5 double beeps meaning that it is set in hard timing).

Follow the instruction that came with the esc and you should be okay.

Peace,

Z

P.S. which radio do you use?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:13 PM
cwalls

I use a Spektrum DX7 with mine. Y Bro-inlaw uses the stock TX
Old 07-01-2008, 06:20 PM
bosborne0010

Well call me an idiot! I just got my new Dynam ESC and i dont know how to install it. I have three red wires? Which one goes to which color. and pics would be extremely helpful! I bought a programmer as well hope it works!
Old 07-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Zimatosa

ORIGINAL: bosborne0010

Well call me an idiot! I just got my new Dynam ESC and i dont know how to install it. I have three red wires? Which one goes to which color. and pics would be extremely helpful! I bought a programmer as well hope it works!
Spamming your questions ehe Bob??? Like the answer in the tuner thread states, connect all three any way you want. If the motor spins the wrong way, swap ANY two wires an it will spin correctly...Heres a pic of mine...

Z
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35519.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	982407  
Old 07-03-2008, 06:45 AM
funflier

damn I bought one with the programming card, now If I can just remember where I put the card....[]
Hmmm... I set mine with the paper instructions, why would I set it with the Throttle/pitch trim all the way down? Is this just for the Dyamn or is this a allaround thing? I never heard of setting it like that, I just set it for hard timing and soft start, brake off. I did notice it has a setting for throttle or something on the card (something on the throttle curve) but no card right now and its not mentioned on the paper instructions. Elaborate.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:53 AM
cwalls

what steps did you take for setting for soft start?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Zimatosa

ORIGINAL: funflier

damn I bought one with the programming card, now If I can just remember where I put the card....[]
Hmmm... I set mine with the paper instructions, why would I set it with the Throttle/pitch trim all the way down? Is this just for the Dyamn or is this a allaround thing? I never heard of setting it like that, I just set it for hard timing and soft start, brake off. I did notice it has a setting for throttle or something on the card (something on the throttle curve) but no card right now and its not mentioned on the paper instructions. Elaborate.
When you buy a brand spanking new heli that comes with a crappy radio like our dear little Kings, where is the trim and where does it say to put the trim in the manual? Hehe

You know that little throttle problem you had with you King when it took off and smacked the flower pot? That is pretty much from having a falsely set throttle start point with the trim in the middle. I have the same radio as you and the same thing kept happening to me. I would land and my heli would throttle up and take off at the ESC's mercy. I got lucky and only smashed a few sets of woodies....Even with the new radio you still have to lower the trim all the way down to set the correct throttle points. REBIND every time you change even the most minute adjustment in the settings!!! I think this train of thought is common to leave it in the center cause our beloved Dumbdawg was crashing his heli with unsuspecting throttle as well...When asked, he said his trim was...Yep, in the center...

I can really only say from this point that my heli has not throttled itself up since the day I put the trim all the way down and left it there....

Peace,

Z
Old 07-03-2008, 02:49 PM
funflier

Damn I thought with this new fangled radio we got over this trim at the bottom thing.
Actually I was going to blame the ESC next!
I do know about rebinding after every little move, found that out setting the gyro, had to keep resetting the creep over and over.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:05 AM
jimmy 1987

i just bought a dynam 30a esc.... should arrive next week. So this thing needs setting up not like the stock esc. So all we need it hard timing, soft start and no brake?

Also with the whole trim i am still using the stock tx and i put the trim to the center because if its not, the motor doesnt start until its 1/4 throttle but this might change with the dynam
Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 AM
funflier

Hmm many ESC have a throttle stick setting that allows you to set the trims at the bottom. Then set the throttle stick for full up and down potsiton. I am sure the Dynam does not (they claim it is built in) as its a low end and very basic ESC. I have a card to set one up and as there are only about 5 settings for it so the card is overkill. Fact is even the instructions miss a step in the setup of it.
Yes soft start, hard timing and brake off your throttle on it is preset to linear and so is your battery type and low voltage setting.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:09 AM
kianhon

Hobbywings 30amp allow you to set throttle range
Old 07-23-2008, 01:57 PM
funflier

Yes I had one and gave it to Zim. That was one of its better features besides a very soft startup and 3 timing modes.
It is made for or by RC Exceed and comes with either a 5 volt bec or a 6 volt bec. I belive the 5 volt bec is also rated at 2 amps and the 6 volt one at 3 amps.
I have used them for years in my planes and they run a little warmer then some but never really had one fail.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Zimatosa

ORIGINAL: funflier

Yes I had one and gave it to Zim. That was one of its better features besides a very soft startup and 3 timing modes.
It is made for or by RC Exceed and comes with either a 5 volt bec or a 6 volt bec. I belive the 5 volt bec is also rated at 2 amps and the 6 volt one at 3 amps.
I have used them for years in my planes and they run a little warmer then some but never really had one fail.
I have ordered a few new motors to try out with that RC Exceed...It will be the weekend until I can give a report. I am thinking about buying the Hobbywing 30A though as well....28 bucks....I know i said this before but the Dynam 30A was not at fault when it fried. My Hyperion motor had a wire arc welding to the inner part of the motor can causing catastrophic failures...I almost lost that new ESC flier gave me when I superheated it to probably 200 degrees?? It was fricken HOT as hell, lets put it that way....Can't wait for my motors...

Another point that I would like to make is that I have read so many darn articles and threads now just on where the trim is supposed to be for throttle and it's about 50-50....I have pretty much come to the conclusion that it does not matter where it is, as long as you program the ESC AFTER you set the trim where you want it and then leave it alone....Mine did work better however, in the down position!!!

Sorry about being a broken record, I have Deja Vue every time I sit down to write here now. I might need a break!! haha

Peace pilots,

Z
Old 07-23-2008, 02:21 PM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run soft timing as the ESC runs much cooler and still has plenty of power.