Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

DX6 or DX7?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:11 AM
kianhon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX6 or DX7?

Spektrum dx6i or dx7??..I really don't know which to choose. I might be getting another elctric heli in 1-2 years but definitely not going into nitro heli ever. My ubec already use up the last slot of the esky 6ch RX, mayb in the future I want to add in a lipo monitor or any other elctronic. But the extra channel cost 1 times more, so I'm really confuse on how to choose between them. Anyone flying elec heli with dx7 that find the extra channel really useful?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:39 AM
Gittle

Default RE: DX6 or DX7?

It's not just the extra channel that is beneficial. It is some of the features of the radio too. Don't say never because every time I said that word I ended up eating it. LOL Nitros are very cool machines indeed. Now that extra channel can run monitors, data loggers, governers, pickup tools, bomb drops, missle launchers, girl watchers, HEHEHEHE you get the idea. The extra features of the radio are a big plus too. So vote is for the 7. You only buy radios once and a while so get a little extra to grow into. Hope this helps. Gittle
Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 AM
warpnine

I got the Dx6i (with AR6200 receiver) for $169 and have been super happy with it. It has a much better bang-for-the-buck than the Dx7 (less than half the price the last time I checked), where you are paying a lot for the extra channel that you'll most likely never use. It will be a long, long time before I need anything bigger and more expensive than the Dx6i!
Old 08-27-2008, 04:38 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Even if you where to go nitro you can use the DX6i. I recommend the DX6i unless you just have a lot of money to play with then I say the 7.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:45 PM
kianhon

My next heli is definitely a Gazaur. I totally agree that if i'm only sticking with electric heli, DX6i is more then enough. But I'm just afraid that I might be adding in some electric (i.e battery monitor, since my UBEC already took up the last slot oh 6ch RX).

This will be my 1st & last time buying a TX, so I hope there isn't anything important that I will miss out with one channel less for my future electric heli.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:04 PM
Optimus110103
My Feedback: (5)

Just a tip but have you seen the JR 7202? it's worth checking into. Radio, with as many if not more features as the DX7, that comes with 3 s285 servos, a reciever rechargable litium TX battery and charger, all ready to go and shipped to your door for less than $175..... can't beat that with a stick, I personally never bought into the 2.4ghz stuff. I have had conversations with a person who I respects opinion very much, and I agree with him that the FM radios are every bit as good as the 2.4ghz stuff, and the 7202 has scan select so glitches dont happen anyway. Check it out, Rusty At castlerockhobbies.com can hook you up.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:24 PM
kianhon

Somewhere in the future when I'm good enough, I might be joining a heli club so I think 2.4ghz is best to go.

I decided to go with 7channel since this will be my 1st and last TX.
The Spektrum DX7, does it have a rachet throttle(I hate rachet)? Does it have a heli/airplane version like the Futaba 7C? Whats the pros and cons between Futaba7c and SpektrumDx7?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:54 PM
noobflyer01

the dx7 is non racheted. its smooth as with the dx6i. it does airplane and helis so you're good to go on that. as far as spectrum vs. futuba there's not that much of a difference between the 2. menu system is different. but the dx7 is a bit better in my opinion. dx7 also cost a little bit more as it comes with d285 servos. i would go with the dx7. i'm currently using the dx6i but have been drooling over my friend's dx7.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:20 AM
eaterofdog
My Feedback: (1)

Don't forget you can set your gyro manually and use that channel for accessories. You probably won't need to switch between rate and hh if you are building a junk wagon.

My new DX6i will be here tomorrow. It was $160 shipped from a reputable dealer. I looked at the futaba fasst systems, but the DX6i has more features for a little more money. The DX7 is sweet, but I have to feed my kids.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:00 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: Optimus110103

Just a tip but have you seen the JR 7202? it's worth checking into. Radio, with as many if not more features as the DX7, that comes with 3 s285 servos, a reciever rechargable litium TX battery and charger, all ready to go and shipped to your door for less than $175..... can't beat that with a stick, I personally never bought into the 2.4ghz stuff. I have had conversations with a person who I respects opinion very much, and I agree with him that the FM radios are every bit as good as the 2.4ghz stuff, and the 7202 has scan select so glitches dont happen anyway. Check it out, Rusty At castlerockhobbies.com can hook you up.

Have you ever owned a 2.4 ghz radio? I have owned both standard FM and 2.4ghz and I will NEVER go back to standard FM. The reason I say standard FM if I am not mistaken 2.4ghz is still FM as well.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:22 AM
funflier

Curious as to how you wired in your ubec to take up the last slot in your RX. Usually the ubec is wired into the main battery leads and the old bec signal wire and sometimes also the black (- wire) also is patched into the new ubec conn wire and then the conn is plugged into the Ch3 on the rx. This allows the ubec to get its power directly from the battery and still retain motor control through the remaining signal wire from the old esc bec. while using the advantage of the linear ubec for power to the rx (and servos).
If your old bec wires that are black and red are still conn to the the rx then your ubec is being defeated as you are using 5 volt from the old bec and 5 volt from the new ubec into the same rx!

Save your pennies and dimes and go with the DX7 you really can't use the servos that come with it in your Kin ll but TX wise you will never regret it not only for the extra channel but it has a few more features that you will find helpful in the future.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:18 PM
kianhon

The DX7 is for my Belt-CP & I'm only getting the TX and RX.

About the UBEC. I soldered the UBEC to the ESC battery leads then the conn is plugged into the last slot of Esky 6ch RX. ESC still plug into ch3 but I've disconnected the red from the ESC cuz thats the Linear Bec. So, am I doing this right? I followed thiese steps from Finless video.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Optimus110103

It's all FM, just a differnet frequency, Let me ask you this, why wont you go back to 72mhz? what is so much better about the 2.4ghz stuff?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:12 PM
46u

I do not have to worry about interference from some kid showing up somewhere and cutting on his radio causing my helicopter to crash and so on. 2.4 Ghz is glitch free. With my nitro RC cars and trucks when using a top notch standard FM radio when I would put on and take off the glow plug starter the servos would glitch which is normal on standard FM when any metal rubs. With 2.4 Ghz they are steady as a rock when putting on or taking off the glow plug starter.

This in its self shows how glitch free 2.4 Ghz is! There use to be a tack near the airport and air force base and not only I but others with high end standard FM had interference problems. With 2.4 Ghz all these problems when away. Some with standard FM have experienced interference with cell phones and power lines which you will not get with 2.4 Ghz.

I can go to a flight meet or RC car race and do not have to keep up with frequencies or worry about some idiot cutting on there radio and messing my car or helicopter by having a runaway or mess with changing frequencies or changing crystals. Just cut the radio on and no worries! These are only a FEW reasons I will NEVER go back to standard FM radio!!!!!!!

I would not be surprised if in about 10 or so years there is no such thing as standard FM radios and if you check even a lot of RTF and RTR cars, trucks are now coming with 2.4 Ghz. There are more and more each year! One other thing you do not have the 2 or 3 foot antenna on the TX. Matter of fact it took me a little while getting use to not having the thing in my sight. LOL On all my cars, trucks and helicopters the antenna is under the bodies as they are VERY short which means I do not have to worry about having it ripped off.

I do not see why any serous RCer would run anything but 2.4!
Old 08-29-2008, 11:00 PM
KCinNC

i got a DX7...I learned how to program it...best $$ i've spent on this hobby!!

i can't really compare it to the DX6i, but a programmable radio upgrade is good either way
Old 08-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Druss

ORIGINAL: kianhon

The DX7 is for my Belt-CP & I'm only getting the TX and RX.

About the UBEC. I soldered the UBEC to the ESC battery leads then the conn is plugged into the last slot of Esky 6ch RX. ESC still plug into ch3 but I've disconnected the red from the ESC cuz thats the Linear Bec. So, am I doing this right? I followed thiese steps from Finless video.
You're doing it right, the esky stock receiver does't have a battery port. On an AR7000 receiver you'll have a battery port so still have one port free.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:29 AM
Optimus110103

Stock Esky does have battery port
Old 08-30-2008, 02:42 AM
kianhon

Battery port? Where? I don't see any holes besides the 7 holes on the Esky 6ch RX.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:16 AM
Optimus110103

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, but I thought the 7th port tghat was labled B was a battery port, or am I ignorant and not getting it? very possible.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:04 AM
kianhon

hehe, yes thats the port, the one labeled B
Old 08-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Druss

sorry guys, haven't used my stock radio in a year but I should have checked first.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:47 AM
funflier

the last conn after ch 6 is battery on the stock Esky rx. This will provide a steady 5 volt for lights and other constent voltage toys.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:02 AM
funflier

OK I see how you did it. I think that vidio was made to show how the system works more then anything else. If you think about it your bec plugs into your throttle channel and why not your ubec. Most wireing diagrams I have gotten with my ubec for my planes show it plugging into the throttle channel after the red wire is cut and the white and black from the old bec are spliced into the new ubec conn that goes to the throttle channel. Remember the white wire is what controls the speed of the motor so it has to be pluged in and the black wire is the - (neg) termanal so all you need to do is remove the red or + wire out of the circuit to eliminate the old bec and splice in that signal wire and a - ((neg) terminal so you have power to all your servos etc. The new red wire from the ubec will replace that one that was on the old bec. This way you still have a spare "battery" terminal to hook up lights etc to or in the case of a Sperctrum 6 channel your binding plug (you cannot control this termanal and it will always be "on"). Just becuse it says "battery" or (B) does not mean you have to plug the battery into it. You can of course or but if your ubec is plugged into your throttle channel this Battery conn will be hot all the time.
Hope this made sense to you if not the instructions that come with the ubec usually show the wiring done this way. I do know that one mfg of ubec actually lets you plug your old bec into the new ubec and bypasses that old red wire intenally. Of course you still have to tap into the main power from the battery terminal in any case.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:12 AM
funflier

Just for what its worth Hobbywing and Turnigy both have (or maybe its the sameone branded diff) a 40 amp ESC with a built in switching UBEC that will work with a Heli as they have a brake off and soft start feature along with a battery balancer built in (Choice of plugs for diff batteries too). I ordered two from H City, one for one of my planes and one for the Heli.
Not a bad price at 34$ plus snail shipping.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...eed_Controller
Ok, so I cant put in the full URL we know how to get there..
Old 08-31-2008, 06:40 PM
46u

I have the 30 amp Hobbywing ESC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.