Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Dx6i Setting for Esky HH Gyro

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Dx6i Setting for Esky HH Gyro

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:37 PM
slotdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dx6i Setting for Esky HH Gyro

Hi all, just setup my Dx6i TX & RX today and do not know how or what to adjust for Esky HH Gyro (EK2-0704A) on the TX, I plugged in the orange wire where needed but do not know the seetings for this Gyro, As always thanks
Old 09-28-2008, 04:30 PM
Gittle

Default RE: Dx6i Setting for Esky HH Gyro

Hey Slotdr,
There are a couple way to do it. If you have the single wire plugged into the gear channel you are ready to go. The gear switch will change from hh to rate mode. Now I believe on the dx6i you need the programming to say gear to gear. This is the only way I have set up the dx radios. There is another way by setting it to gear to gyro and it really does the same thing but, reads something different on the display. So I can only tell you the first way. I set all of mine up this way and it works great. I think staying consistent on all helis will help you to not get confused from one to the other. Set the servo to the center (while plugged in and turned on). Adjust the tail pitch slider to the center of the shaft so you will have equal movement in both directions with no binding on the end points. Put the gear switch in hh mode and adjust for creep with the tail rotor channel sub trim. You can also watch the finless video on gyro setup. The way to tell if you have it in hh or rate mode is when you push the stick on direction it will immediately return back to the center. This will be rate mode. If you move it to one side and it stays it is hh mode. This is the mode to adjust for the creep. Sub trim one way or the other in this mode will stop the creep. Once you have this done you are ready to spin the heli up. Finless will also tell you how to make the servo and the gyro move in the right direction. This must be done before spin up. I put the heli on concrete floor with no skid stops so it can spin freely. Now you can see if the gyro is holding and also see if the servo and gyro are going in the correct direction. Put it in rate mode and if it is moving in one direction and not holding you need to move the servo on the tail boom to stop it from moving. Kind of like trimming but by moving the servo on the boom. Now you can put it in hh mode and the heli should hold tight. All you need to do now is to set the gain. If the new gyro has a gain pot on the gyro itself you need to set it to full. The way to adjust gain with the radio transmitter is go into the atv on the gear channel and set it to about 60% on both ends. (hh and rate) You do this by flipping the switch and adjusting the atv. Set it to 60 on both and you are ready to hover. If the tail wags in a hover lower the number. If it is not wagging then raise the number until it does and then back it off until it stops again. This will ensure you have the max amount of gain without wag. Now you should be ready to go in both hh and rate mode. Good Luck.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:49 PM
slotdr

Thanks, also it seems that my rudder servo doesn't travel a lot when I move my stick right or left but equally, how can I get more travel on the dx6i
Old 09-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Gittle

You can set that with the atv on the rudder channel.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:15 PM
slotdr

Gittle
Just took it out and it seems everything is reverse, when I give it throttle it pushes down and and pitch is the same, I set it up as directed and now what? I am using the stock servos in my
HBK2, sorry I didn't mention that.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Gittle

You are getting negative pitch when you move the stick up? If so you may need to reverse the pitch numbers in the swash settings. If the pitch is reversed and the throttle is ok. Change the number on the swash setting, pitch control to the opposite of what it is. Example -60 needs to be change to +60 or vice versa. Try that.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:44 PM
warpnine

You should PM Disney to ask for his Dx6i set up document, which may help.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 09-28-2008, 07:06 PM
slotdr

OK, had another setup sheet and now I get it in the air, it seems very sensitive, I used Disney's
setup then made the reverse adjustments. The tail servo hardly travels so I am not getting good tail control, need HH gyro settings, not hard to setup but difficult to tweak. If anyone out there has the settings from the stock TX maybe I can max them or has a HBK2 with this TX please send me you settings

Thanks
Old 09-28-2008, 07:57 PM
warpnine

I found this link which appears to discuss the set up of your gyro: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698571

I used these ones when setting up the Dx6i with the Logitech 2100T that I have: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737104 (videos)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670786 I'm sure the principles are the same as with you gyro.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Old 09-28-2008, 09:34 PM
slotdr

Thank You, it seems I was able to handle my HBK2 better with the stock TX. Where to I find atv on the rudder channel? How do I make the throttle less touchy, basically the sticks are really sensitive and would like it more like the stock TX
Old 10-07-2008, 01:05 AM
funflier

This is probably a little late but.
Scroll down to" Travel Adjust", and go to rudder. I have diff servos then you and they also move the "wrong" direction but I would try -> 60% for a start.
Go down to your subtrim (rudder) and that is where you adjust the creep out of the servo when in HH mode
Nice part about that is there is a little arrow to show you which way your going on the subtrim if it turns right and the arrow shows right reduce the numbers a little at a time till it holds a heading, same if it creeps in the other direction. If you have diff batteries you will change the weight of the heli and you will probably have to reset these same as when your batteries run down a bit the creep will change. In that case get used to using your rudder trim tab to correct for this.
Down to Gyro and set the top part 0: at 27% and the 1: at about 70% this will get you in the ball park, tail wag shouldn't be an issue with those settings.
Note that in rate mode (gyro switch in the up position) you will need to do your adjustment of the servo on the boom
In the HH mode (gyro switch in the down position) you will need to adjust creep.
Back to the Gyro, if you set the 0: to anything over 50% it will put the rate side in HH mode whether you want it or not. you set the 1: hh mode below 50% it will go into rate mode when you think its in HH mode.
If you do this with a Telebee gyro it will do something nasty to you and quit once in a while ( I suspect it overworks the gyro and causes it to overheat) and if you let it sit it MAY start working properly or not. I lost 2 Telebee gyros setting both sides up for HH. I can't say for sure if that will happen with the Esky gyro or not as my Esky HH gyro lasted only about 10 batteries before it totally failed to work in either rate or HH, however I had mine set up to about 80% in HH and that may have been a little too much for it.
I think that is what happened to Zimatosa's Telebee gyro as he had it set up that way also. Esky HH, maybe., maybe not...

AS for your sticks being sensitive you can add some Expo to them. Scroll to D/R&EXPO and open it and go to each parimeter and leave it at 0 as that is a switch position and also leave it at 100% but make it a + 15% (15% works fine for me) on each this will tone down sensitivity of all three controls a bit. If you set it to say a -15% rather then the +15% you will have a very sensitive stick.
If you look at your tx on the top left is a switch marked Elev d/r and it has a 0 and a 1 the 0 corrosponds to the 0 you saw on your screen that I said is a switch positon, as long as the switch is in 0 you will have your 15% if you move it to 1 it will revert back to its original setting as we did not set the screen from 0 to a 1. the switch with the Ail D/r on the right and behind it the rud D/r switch.
The 100% btw pertains to the amount of stick movement you want the 15% to cover, in your case it would be 100% of the stick movement or overall slow the whole thing down a bit.
Hope this helped you a little

Old 10-07-2008, 07:55 AM
slotdr

Thanks Funflire, I am able to hover and fly the heli away from me and then back. It is all about the settings I see now with the dx6i, I never do 3D. thanks to all of you I am able to fly my heli, I tried emailing Esky to find out what there stock TX settings were but they never answered. So if anyone has a HBK2 with 3900 motor and is using the dx6i can you please post your pitch, throttle and expo settings, I am trying all that I read and comparing and finding my comfortable spot.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 05:55 PM
cbrian4

Funflier, are you saying i may ruin my telebee gyro with dx6i? I have my gain set to 70% and whenever i first power on my heli, it will always be in rate mode, but if i unplug it and replug it in WITHOUT turning off the transmitter, then it works fine. I also noticed that my gain setting works weirdly like around 40% it has no sensitivity, but if i go above or below it adds sensitivity. Still works fine, i just have to initialize my heli twice.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:37 PM
funflier

If you look at your dx6i screen on Gyro there is the settings.
Rate
0:
1:
Usually..
0: postion is usually used for your rate setting and a rate setting MUST be less then 50%, 25% works fine for most kings.
1: position is usually used for HH and it has to be greater then 50% in order to be in HH mode, usually 65-70% is fine as you go higher to say 80 more corrections are made to the tail servo and more heat is generated at both the servo level I would assume the gyro as it has to work harder also. At a certain point the tail will start to wag which means your way way to high. Most turn it down till it just stops wagging (and keep that servo busy busy busy).
HOWEVER..
you can use 0: and set it up for HH and use 1: set up for rate.
It is not cast in stone which positon you use for rate or HH.
Which ever 0 or 1 on the gyro screen you set at say 70% will correspond to the same postion on the switch.

on the same token as an example if you set your 0: say at 70% and your 1: at 70% you will be in HH mode no matter what postion the Gyro switch is in. Somehow as I said this seems to be NOT good for the gyro it will (telebee at least) will fail and if you let it sit and put the settings back it will work fine ...usually. If you do the opposite and set your 0: at 27% and your 1: at 27 or even 30% (anything less then 50%) you will be in Rate no matter what position the switch is in.
A interesting thing to do just to see the results is to put your 0: at say 15% and the 1: at say 35% and hover just to see the diff in rate (you will find you also have to adjust your servo postion on the boom when you do this []) It wont hurt anything but its just something to do so you know what is happening. try the same with a HH setting try 55% and 75% in the respective postions.
btw I always boot up my heli in HH mode and if I want to use rate I switch to that after it I have put some power to it, for some reason it makes the HH mode seem a little more defined, at least that what I see.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:19 PM
slotdr

Thanks funflier
What would be good servos to install in the HBK2 that will fit with no modification, I am still using the stock ones. I never fly in rate mode or idle up, can I set the pitch & throttle the same on these channels