Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Belt CP Tail boom.....

Old 10-14-2008, 03:32 AM
legine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Belt CP Tail boom.....

hey there, im sure all you guys who have belt CP's know that to get the centre of gravity on the heli right you have to slide the battery really far forward......i think i remember someone saying that it was because of the heavy stock tail boom......i was just wondering, is it worth it to get a carbon fibre tail boom to help reduce tail weight so the battery doesnt have to be so far forward to get the correct centre of gravity, would the carbon fibre one make any difference??
Im curious to know because its hard to get the canopy on with the battery sticking out so far forward.

Thanks, Daniel
Old 10-14-2008, 03:50 AM
white pulsss

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Belt CP Tail boom.....

i have always had the same problem. I think someone tried a cf tail boom but it was ever so slightly lighter and hardly made a difference. I jsut ordered a trex fibreglass canopy which i am hoping for it to have more room for the battery, if not i willprobably end up putting some small weights in the front.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:27 AM
Disney1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Morning:
Everyone has the same problem. You will need to add about 3/8 ounce of weight to the front of the heli. I but the weights in the nose of the canopy to get it as far forward as possable. The other think you can do is go to CF verticle and horazontal tail surfaces, of use a dremel and cut out the OEM ones to lighten them. This help but you will still need to slide the battery forward a good bit.
One other thing I did was to build a Battery tray from Basswood. to give more support to the battery and it also adds some weight in front of the CG.
Below are a couple of pics of the tray. It dose have the advantage of putting the battery back in the same position every time, meaning that you do not have to balance the heli every time you fly.

R[8D]N Sr
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21922.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	1051536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy80100.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1051537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92761.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1051538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl26586.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	1051539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr93660.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	1051540  
Old 10-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Bcolici

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What about a heavier battery pack?and at the same time increase in Mah.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:57 AM
legine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i use the velcro strap to hold it in place, i wrap it around part of the chassis and around the battery, it holds the battery in the same position every time, so i dont have to worry about balancing it. I want to avoid placing any extra weight on the heli, thats why i have to slide the battery so far forward.
I also use a 2200mah pack in my heli, i thought the extra weight would help but its actually slightly lighter than the stock 1800mah battery...weird[&:]

thanks for the help guys, i guess the CF tail boom will have to wait until i decide to bling up the heli a bit.

DISNEY1: I see you are using the blade 400 rotor gear, i tried that on mine but the top of the rotor at the hub was rubbing against the chassis and the plastic actually melted and the friction created so much heat that after a few minutes the one-way bearing fails, i have to let it cool then try again. Are you having the same problem??

Thanks, Daniel
Old 10-14-2008, 11:29 AM
USHobbySupply

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcfreakazoid

What about a heavier battery pack?and at the same time increase in Mah.
I agree with this method (along with the longer battery tray by Disney). the 2100 20c battery does a very nice job of balancing the heli.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Disney1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Daniel:
I am having no problems at all with the Eflight main gears.
The tray is made from Basswood which is almost as light as Balsa, but very strong.
I am getting a Gram scale soon, I will post the weight of the tray with screws when the sale arrives.

R[8D]N Sr