Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

BIG LAMA

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:33 AM
downunderdog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIG LAMA

Hey Peter - I was just thinking... if you have Lama's with FM, or even 2.4G, 4-in-1's, how are you going to convert those over? You can't replace just the RX in those, can you? You'd have to get new 4-in-1's which are compatible with DSM2 (which I think means the E-flite ones). Your brushless BOL has a separate RX, right? But your smaller Lamas don't, do they?

Edit to add: I fly my Lama 3 with the FM TX that it came with... I'll use the DX6i with the BnF mSR, and also if I ever make the leap and get a 450 size heli with separate Gyro (already having a decent transmitter will at least make that leap less costly for initial purchase).
Old 08-31-2009, 03:17 AM
erdnuckel2

ORIGINAL: downunderdog

Hey Peter - I was just thinking... if you have Lama's with FM, or even 2.4G, 4-in-1's, how are you going to convert those over? You can't replace just the RX in those, can you? You'd have to get new 4-in-1's which are compatible with DSM2 (which I think means the E-flite ones). Your brushless BOL has a separate RX, right? But your smaller Lamas don't, do they?

Edit to add: I fly my Lama 3 with the FM TX that it came with... I'll use the DX6i with the BnF mSR, and also if I ever make the leap and get a 450 size heli with separate Gyro (already having a decent transmitter will at least make that leap less costly for initial purchase).
Fly Lamas with a DX6i .. is that the question downunderdog? Using complete eflite 4in1's is ONEpossibility ... but you can also do different (and since the new CX's ... the #2 as well as the #3 ... come with seperate RX and 3in1 you can also just get the 3in1 and connect it to your Spektrum RX) some people have INDEEDproven by now, that the general claim "Esky will not bind with anything else but Esky" is exactly that .... a generalisation with exceptions.
What I am going to write now is hearsay, and it requires that you read around a bit yourself ... but it ISpossible to bind a DX7 to a BOL EK2-0709 without any problem ... it is more complicated with the DX6i (or the DX5 for that matter) as there are ... as most people suspect ... timing issues, but it ISpossible. The important thing is, that the Spektrum RX uses this order:
AUX1
GEAR
RUDD
ELEV
AILE
THRO
BATT
and that does not work with the ESKY 3in1's, if you just plug it in (as I said, to all I read at least that counts for the DX5 and DX6)

An Esky 4in1 consists of 2 part (at least with the little Lamas) that you can just pull apart ... RX part and 3in1. And this 3in1 works with channels 1 and 2 being AILE and ELEV and the channels 3 and 4 being THRO and RUDD - and this is the order you must keep: THRO ... RUDD
So on your DX6 you will need to work with a master and a slave channel ie mix the THRO/RUDD signals over the TX (kind of) once you do that, it can work ... other people (NOTME!!) have done it and written about it.

Don't know if this is going to help you, but I thought its worth mentioning ....

Regards,
Sven

Old 08-31-2009, 04:37 AM
pgroom_68

[quote]ORIGINAL: downunderdog
ORIGINAL: erdnuckel2
Fly Lamas with a DX6i .. is that the question downunderdog? Using complete eflite 4in1's is ONE possibility ... but you can also do different (and since the new CX's ... the #2 as well as the #3 ... come with seperate RX and 3in1 you can also just get the 3in1 and connect it to your Spektrum RX) some people have INDEED proven by now, that the general claim "Esky will not bind with anything else but Esky" is exactly that .... a generalisation with exceptions.
What I am going to write now is hearsay, and it requires that you read around a bit yourself ... but it IS possible to bind a DX7 to a BOL EK2-0709 without any problem ... it is more complicated with the DX6i (or the DX5 for that matter) as there are ... as most people suspect ... timing issues, but it IS possible. The important thing is, that the Spektrum RX uses this order:
AUX1
GEAR
RUDD
ELEV
AILE
THRO
BATT
and that does not work with the ESKY 3in1's, if you just plug it in (as I said, to all I read at least that counts for the DX5 and DX6)
An Esky 4in1 consists of 2 part (at least with the little Lamas) that you can just pull apart ... RX part and 3in1. And this 3in1 works with channels 1 and 2 being AILE and ELEV and the channels 3 and 4 being THRO and RUDD - and this is the order you must keep: THRO ... RUDD
So on your DX6 you will need to work with a master and a slave channel ie mix the THRO/RUDD signals over the TX (kind of) once you do that, it can work ... other people (NOT ME !!) have done it and written about it.
Don't know if this is going to help you, but I thought its worth mentioning ....
Hey again DUD & Sven,

[sm=50_50.gif]Exactly what I thought....unless I replace most of my Esky 4in1s (which becomes an expensive exercise)....and just so I can use the one Tx. I think it is not worth "starting again" now...... (I think I will just always buy 2.4G from now on)

Thanks for the help guys

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. DUD, I already have my "FM hanger" where I use the FM Tx from my first Big Lama and just change out the crystals when I want to fly something else FM (DF#4 FP, Dauphins, Lama3, Lama4s)
Old 08-31-2009, 04:50 AM
pgroom_68

Hey guys if you haven't noticed yet [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=110_229]Miracle-mart.com BIG LAMA UPGRADES[/link] - are all available!

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. Get 'em while they're hot!!! (well available anyway)
Old 08-31-2009, 06:50 AM
Beachcomber

Just remember guys, that getting a motor pinion with MORE teeth, will INCREASE your maximum rotor speed, but will also REDUCE the torque available, same as with the propeller on a boat. If I understand correctly, torque translates into how fast you can increase your rotor speed when trying to save a bad situation. So maybe when the Big Lama is going into the dreaded "Sideways Death Slide", if it's caused in part by the rotor stalling (going too slow), then you will need as much torque as you can get to get that rotor moving again, asap.

I chose to use 10 tooth pinion on my new brushless motors, but have found out these new motors have tons more power than stock, so torque is not a problem anymore.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:51 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again Beachcomber,

My BL "Ultimate" pinions have 11 teeth a 2.3mm bore, and no "lip" like the original Esky ones have - but the meshing seems very tight - I will tell you how it goes after its maiden flight. I think my BL ones are [link=http://www.rc711.com/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=342]these[/link], but RC711.com stock 9-tooth, 10-tooth, 11-tooth, 12-tooth and 13-tooth pinions with the same internal diameter - so if I don't have any joy with the meshing on these, I can order another closely-matched pair and try them out to see if the mesh with the main gear is smoother....

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. I just received a PO card in my letterbox that says that my Extreme blades are at my local PO to pick up! Alas it is 10:50pm now!
Old 08-31-2009, 08:08 AM
rusty63

Having lots of different transmitters is a pain . I have a futaba 6exhp FM model . No where near as nice as DX6i .Butvery handy It has 6 model memory . I fly all my fm models from this . I waited a long time for Esky to release 2.4ghz Big Lama . I emailed rc711 about buying without transmitter , discount was like $10 US . Glad i waited , Later on 2.4ghz became available . Another vender was cheaper . Emailed rc711 again . They overnite changed there price on site too match . Gee where was i . Peter just an option keep an eye out for second hand Futaba 6exhp / or simaler. Like Dx6i it remembers all your settings by model name . I too would love to have everthing on 2.4ghz , But for indoor Flying fm has been fine . Russell
Old 08-31-2009, 08:36 AM
Electrotech

ORIGINAL: Beachcomber

Just remember guys, that getting a motor pinion with MORE teeth, will INCREASE your maximum rotor speed, but will also REDUCE the torque available, same as with the propeller on a boat. If I understand correctly, torque translates into how fast you can increase your rotor speed when trying to save a bad situation. So maybe when the Big Lama is going into the dreaded ''Sideways Death Slide'', if it's caused in part by the rotor stalling (going too slow), then you will need as much torque as you can get to get that rotor moving again, asap.

I chose to use 10 tooth pinion on my new brushless motors, but have found out these new motors have tons more power than stock, so torque is not a problem anymore.
Hi Beachcomber,

Thanks for the tip but i need your help to elaborate this:

You said getting a motor pinion with more teeth will increase the maximum rotor speed (i presume it to be 12 teeth) but then you said you have chosen "10 tooth pinion"? Why 10 and not 12 teeth? Is it because of the brushless motor speed faster than the stock motor so you have to slower it down by using a 10 teeth pinion? Does it mean that if i am using stock motor then i have to use a 12 teeth pinion?

Have a good day!

Jestine
Old 08-31-2009, 11:30 AM
RC_Addiction

P.S. I just received a PO card in my letterbox that says that my Extreme blades are at my local PO to pick up! Alas it is 10:50pm now!
YAY PETER!!! go get them!!!! Picture those bad babies !!!

fer,
Old 08-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Buz

Hey, Rusty....

I did get some pictures of the BOL with the Lama IV tail on it. I tried to post and then upload them, but our cable connection freaked out and I couldn't get back on the internet. Grrrrrr......

I'll try again to upload them later.

Well, gents... I have to come clean. I have to tell you my REAL impression of this blade extension and metal head/grips kit. It is 100% JUNK!! If you bought one of these kits from rc711 I'd like to know how you keep it together.
I had mine flying perfectly ... then, a while ago I went back out and the BOL was flying great. I wasn't too high when this happened... but I saw something fly off the helicopter..... I turned it around and headed back toward myself to land and see what it was. I never made it back. The top on the flybar retainer flew off again.... and then, out went the fly bar, and once again I came down like a wounded Pelican. That's enough! I don't need the bling. I want something that works... so using the extension shaft in the kit, I'm going back to Jestine's first method of putting the stock top rotor assembly back on it. I know it will fly just as well... and I won't spend money on locktite.

A word of caution to all of you who are using the metal setups.... be sure you use a lot of lock tite and be sure you tighten every screw and bolt in the assembly down as tightly as possible. You may not ever experience this, but I will tell you now that it is very dangerous. I'm just going to cut my losses and run. I just won't fly an unsafe machine. So, back to the plastic!

Buzz
Old 08-31-2009, 07:30 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: RC_Addiction
YAY PETER!!! go get them!!!! Picture those bad babies !!!
Hey again guys,

Here you go....some pics of the "bad babies !!!"

They weigh around 6.6g (+/-2g) each and are flexible enough to touch tip to root - but they are a lighter, thicker material ("probably made of high strength DELRIN - a lightweight, low-friction, and wear-resistant thermoplastic" the same stuff that they make [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_174&products_id=3010]gear a & b from on small lamas[/link]) - just like an oversized smaller Extreme Blades for the lama3 and lama4.

...I can see you guys saying "yea, but what about the durability" - well, I am about to go flying so will post when I return!

Peter[sm=49_49.gif] Hehe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15968.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1266561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59645.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1266562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk15692.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1266563  
Old 08-31-2009, 08:03 PM
RC_Addiction

Looking good!!! Hope they're what we all have been specting from them. I was hoping they were as long as the Walkera Lama 400D ones but oh well, the thing is since my flybar has half the original weight on it, i tried flying my BOL with stock taped blades again and heli felt really weird. Anyways. will wait for mine to arrive and we'll see!

Thanks for posting the pics peter!

fer,
Old 08-31-2009, 08:46 PM
pgroom_68

Looking good!!! Hope they're what we all have been specting from them. I was hoping they were as long as the Walkera Lama 400D ones but oh well, the thing is since my flybar has half the original weight on it, i tried flying my BOL with stock taped blades again and heli felt really weird. Anyways. will wait for mine to arrive and we'll see!
Thanks for posting the pics peter!
Hey again Fernando,

Just got back from a quick (and mild) fly/hover/slow figure-8s. Before I left for the nearest green area, I changed out the blades on my BL Ultimate - and (silly me) tried hovering it in the loungeroom. Lets put it this way, when smacked into the chairs and table they got up and (without a mark) said "what is that all you can dish out?"
I could only do mild flying at the park 'cause my ultimate is the only BOL that I have with a standard length inner shaft, but the blades handled themselves admirably - heaps of lift (slightly wider than Esky which provides more blade surface too) - plenty of blade response and little vibration or noise increase. All indications are that they are just like the smaller lamas Extreme blades were for them - a revolution!

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. Sorry mate, but they are the same length as Esky blades - but wider than everything else![X(] See last pic below
P.P.S. I would say they are the widest on the market- with the best lift!
P.P.P.S. AND being white I can paint stripes on them at will - now where is that felt pen? Or better still, glow paint?[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Name:	Zx71538.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1266631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74685.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1266632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55672.jpg
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1266633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11210.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1266634   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76684.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1266635  
Old 08-31-2009, 10:14 PM
RC_Addiction

Ok that review is just what i needed to make the waiting less painful...or maybe more?? hahaha i don't know but i have that feeling of "at last"! We made it!! We survived the waiting!

Thank you Peter, I'm pretty sure more people will find this review helpful and will encourage them to get them too!

I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PD That is a good looking Heli there!

Fernando,

Old 09-01-2009, 12:40 AM
pgroom_68

Ok that review is just what i needed to make the waiting less painful...or maybe more?? hahaha i don't know but i have that feeling of ''at last''! We made it!! We survived the waiting!
Thank you Peter, I'm pretty sure more people will find this review helpful and will encourage them to get them too!
I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PD That is a good looking Heli there!
Hey again RC_Addiction,

It is a very satisfying feeling - "we made it" - from February to September - Wow! Has it been that long....?!

P.S. I thought I'd take some pics before I took it apart - it now has alu braces to hold a larger 1250mAh lipo, super-skids400 and a black shell saying "SWAT" with LED lights already installed... Here is some more pics a while ago of progress. I must add that with the dual-ESCs for the BL motors and the LED module added, it is a VERY tight fit indeed...

Name:	Xv65258.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1266819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89016.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1266820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20522.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1266821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55049.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1266822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48648.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1266823  
Old 09-01-2009, 04:48 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again guys - now that both the [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=110_229]extended inner shaft and Xtreme blades[/link] are now available for this heli - we should get a new influx of fliers wanting to try their luck again!

P.S. I wonder if Nightflyyer will review a "non-blade striking" version now?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Beachcomber

ORIGINAL: Electrotech

Hi Beachcomber,

Thanks for the tip but i need your help to elaborate this:

You said getting a motor pinion with more teeth will increase the maximum rotor speed (i presume it to be 12 teeth) but then you said you have chosen ''10 tooth pinion''? Why 10 and not 12 teeth? Is it because of the brushless motor speed faster than the stock motor so you have to slower it down by using a 10 teeth pinion? Does it mean that if i am using stock motor then i have to use a 12 teeth pinion?

Have a good day!

Jestine
Jestine,
I'm no expert, but here's my reasoning. If I counted correctly, my stock pinion on stock motors have 11 teeth. I guess that is a compromise between top speed (more teeth) and more torque (less teeth).
I chose 10 teeth for the brushless motors for a couple of reasons.
1) Because that was recommended by someone on this thread (forgive me I forgot who).
2) I didn't expect to need more speed than stock and wanted to make life as easy for new motors as I can.

After flying with 10 tooth pinions on the brushless motors, I think I'll stay with 10 tooth. These motors have so much more power than stock, I have to pay more attention to controlling the throttle stick to keep from gaining or loosing altitude too quickly. I think more teeth would make that worse, not sure.
Hope this helps.

Oh, and another reason: I read somewhere that fewer teeth on pinion will usually increase your flight time; apparently easier on battery usage.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:25 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68
Hey again Beachcomber,
My BL ''Ultimate'' pinions have 11 teeth a 2.3mm bore, and no ''lip'' like the original Esky ones have - but the meshing seems very tight - I will tell you how it goes after its maiden flight. I think my BL ones are [link=http://www.rc711.com/shop/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=342]these[/link], but RC711.com stock 9-tooth, 10-tooth, 11-tooth, 12-tooth and 13-tooth pinions with the same internal diameter - so if I don't have any joy with the meshing on these, I can order another closely-matched pair and try them out to see if the mesh with the main gear is smoother....
[sm=49_49.gif]
Hey again guys - just as I thought - the BL motors have too much power and when you "gun it" the tail swings around wildly. Also I have a pulsing action with the tail (fish action) - it is more pronounced than tightening the "gain" on 4in1 can deal with! I thought that the "wearing in" of the whole drive train (in particular the pinion and main gear mesh) would loosen it us a little - but WITH YOUR HAND YOU STILL ARE UNABLE TO ROTATE THE SHAFTS SMOOTHLY! Am I missing something or should I order a 10-tooth pinion (not much $ or trouble as I already own a pinion-puller)?

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 09-02-2009, 01:15 AM
RC_Addiction

Hi again Peter,

I was just going to post about the same thing peter! [X(]

I thought it was the gyro on the 3-in-1 that needed some adjusting but no, your testimony makes me thing that this is a normal behaviour on a BL setting.

Mine looks (to me) like "a fish sprinting through the water" when i throttle up quiclky either UP or to do FF.

Also when i rotate the heli CW or CCW the Gyro or whatever has the function of keeping an equal speed on upper and lower blades to sustain a steady hover , feels like it needs an extra moment to adjust to normal then it stops "wiggling". (I don't know if i explained myself cirrectly LOL)

So i don't really think that swapping pinions would make a diff but if you want to try let us know how did it go.

Since i only have one bird and it's starting to cool down a little bit, i decided to dress him with the old original BOL cabin, the one i crashed and patched so many times!! .

I have a new cabin still in the bag but i want to save that maybe to paint it later and also i feel lazy just thinking about having to re-install the nav lights in it.[:'(]

Read you later peetz.

Name:	Hf97798.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	1267371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68870.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1267372  
Old 09-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Beachcomber

Hey Guys,
About the tail wag with brushless motors, did you turn the 3-n-1 gain way down? My tail drifts a little but no wag; my gain is turned pretty far counter-clockwise.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Electrotech

HI Beachcomber,

Thanks for the explanation-it really helps! By the way may i know where did you buy the brushless kitset? Is it from elemodel?

To Fernando,

With the lama 400 blades on your heli, would it cause the heli to drift slightly when flying?

Jestine
Old 09-02-2009, 08:14 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Beachcomber
Hey Guys,
About the tail wag with brushless motors, did you turn the 3-n-1 gain way down? My tail drifts a little but no wag; my gain is turned pretty far counter-clockwise.
Hey again Beachcomber,

Thanks for the suggestion - but I've tried about 15 different gain settings now trying to fix it - and can only improve it a little![:@] I am convinced that the gyro can't cope with the extra sudden input of speed that my BL motors give. By swapping out pinions I hope to improve torque while reducing head rpms. I don't know if it will work, but at AUD$5 - who cares if it does nothing? I am unsure whether Fernando's BL motors are exhibiting the same thing (but it sounds similar) - and I'm sure he will watch my results with interest I've just ordered a couple of [link=http://www.rc711.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=337]10-tooth[/link] pinions and in a week or so I will try it out! Of course I have my 2.4G bird to fly about - I got three sets of Xtreme blades 'cause my birds don't like to share now

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 09-02-2009, 08:32 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again Fernando,

One thing is for sure - the results back [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8371151]then[/link] (aahhh - the good old days) re. weight and lift and optimums is null & void with the Xtreme blades - they produce heaps of lift!
When my 2.4G bird took off from my hand today it felt like it would have lifted me and taken me away also, if I didn't let go..... (disclaimer: this is not a standardized test )

P.S. Sorry mate - maybe I shouldn't make any more comments until you have your blades - it won't be long!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:15 AM
rusty63

Hi Peter , Thanks for updates . Perhaps email rc711 for more ideas too re waggy tail .Russell
Old 09-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Electrotech

ORIGINAL: pgroom_68

Hey again Fernando,

One thing is for sure - the results back [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8371151]then[/link] (aahhh - the good old days) re. weight and lift and optimums is null & void with the Xtreme blades - they produce heaps of lift!
When my 2.4G bird took off from my hand today it felt like it would have lifted me and taken me away also, if I didn't let go..... (disclaimer: this is not a standardized test )

P.S. Sorry mate - maybe I shouldn't make any more comments until you have your blades - it won't be long!
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info. The extreme blades will be arriving tomorrow and need to test it out and hope it won't pull me away At current moment i'm still using the Extreme 380 motors and looking forward to install the brushless motors soon.

Yesterday i tried to put in a 1300 mah 20c Turnigy battery and found that the stock motors get hot very fast and now it can't even fly more than 1 minute with a fully charge 800mah 20 c battery. After replacement with the Extreme 380 motors and using back the original battery it could fly more than 8 to 9 minutes!

My conclusion was that a bigger mah and heavier battery will weaken the stock motors as it is trying very hard to lift it up from the ground. Have you all experience this before? or as a rule of thumb one should always keep the heli as light as possible.

Jestine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.