Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Lama v4 aluminium upgrade.

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Lama v4 aluminium upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 06:37 PM
PineApple2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lama v4 aluminium upgrade.

Hi,
I just upgraded my Lama. But it cannot fly. Blades are rotating but helicopter is not moving up.

Could somebody help? I appreciate it.
Thanks,

pineapple.<o></o>

Old 08-28-2009, 07:25 PM
erdnuckel2

Default RE: Lama v4 aluminium upgrade.

Something kind of like this??

http://cgi.ebay.com/EsKy-LAMA-V3-V4-...d=p3286.c0.m14

Hate to break it to you, but those sets are a piece of work.

First recommendation: toss the blade grips - better go back to plastic right away and get some (sorry for this word) "real" aluminum blade grips (microheli, skytec or Xtreme) later on, even if it is going to set you back between 40 and 60$ (in case you INSISTon alu blade grips) that is really something you can do later, and your bird will fly just fine with plastic.

Second recommendation: if you can do something like this:

http://www.rcline.tv/photo/1337/-quo...teinmal-anders

you will need to resand the brass balls on the swash plate, so that all the links move really smoothly.

Third recommendation:
Upper rotor head may have some sharp edges inside - those will damage the flybar hub ... so make sure everything in there is smooth, too. Also check if the rotor head moves on the shaft (up down or left right) those grub screws are sometimes not the tightest fit. And make sure that the grub screw REALLY sits on the flat part of the inner shaft, if it doesn't, head will start moving sooner or later.

Fourth recommendation:
Also check the lower rotor head very thoroughly - they often have a lot of slop on the inner shaft - many times the little screws don't really hit the holes they are supposed to hit - your lower head will be moving.

Make sure all screws are tight and use loctite 243 on them - the stuff has a tendency to disintegrate in mid-air if you don't

Hope that helps a little ...

... and one more thing at the end (and I really don't want to be a smarty pants): If all of this fails, use only the upper rotor head and the swash plate and keep the rest stock - that will still do for quite a while (and if you really want to majorly bling your bird out, PM me in october or early november ...

Regards,
Sven

edit:
could you also pm me if you have a LHSthere ... or maybe you know the ones in the NY Metro area ..... I would really appreciate that. Thanks!

Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 PM
PineApple2

Hi Sven,
Thank you for your help. I have cheap aluminium upgrade for $8. I go back to plastic.

What is LHS?

pineapple
Old 08-28-2009, 09:45 PM
erdnuckel2

LHSis your L ocal H obby S hop!

I get so used to seeing other people use that acronym that I really start using it myself without even thinking, sorry. As far as those 8$ ebay sets are concerned, ... i got one for ten dollar about 2 month ago, it looked like they used all the pieces they totally messed up in production and put them in this set.
There will always be people who say it isn't worth putting 50 or 80 or more dollars in aluminum bling, but this is only half the truth ... depends really on what you want ... the expensive stuff is not only going to look good, contrary to the cheap sets those parts actually work.
Means bling is not something you put on in one step ... it is something to do over quite some time ... this way it also doesn't hurt your wallet as much when you spend the big bucks ... and you can actually verify how good (or not) a part is, because you can really compare the before and the after ....

Recommendation five:
Start with an aluminum upper head and an aluminum bearing housing ... or even better, just get the bearing housing first as it is one of the "cheaper expensive" parts ... but it will be a lot better than the plastic bearing housing .... combine that with good blades and longer servo arms ... and you will already see a substantial improvement in flight characteristics. with that, you might also change the swash to metal .... you will spend between 20 and 30$ and you are on the way to a copter that is blinged out with "really good" parts ....

... then, a while later change something else ....

Regards,
Sven

Old 08-28-2009, 10:31 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: PineApple2
Hi,
I just upgraded my Lama. But it cannot fly. Blades are rotating but helicopter is not moving up.
Could somebody help? I appreciate it.
Thanks,
Hey again Pineapple,

You say the blades are rotating, is this fast? Both sets of blades must rotate in opposite directions - and about the same speed. The blades must spin fast enough to provide enough lift so the helicopter can take off also. Sven has offered some good advice, but if you want to leave some of the metal upgrade parts on maybe we can get your bird into the air.

The first thing you should check that you have done up correctly is the lower (gear A) screws. Grasp the top of the head firmly and with your other hand try to rotate the lower gear. Does it move?

The second thing is the inner hub (which has four screws into the outer shaft. Are they done up tightly and locating into the hole in the outer shaft.

The third is the swashplate. Is it level and rotating freely?

Do you have a digital or video camera? It would be great if you could upload a short video of your bird from when blades are still->trying to lift off a couple of times - then insert a link on this thread. (even a close-up of the areas listed above)

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 09-01-2009, 11:55 AM
PineApple2

Hi Peter,
       I already come back to plastic/original solution. Now Lama is flying the same as before. Anyway thanks for your help.

pineapple.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:40 AM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter,
I already come back to plastic/original solution. Now Lama is flying the same as before. Anyway thanks for your help.

pineapple.
Hey again Pineapple,

You are quite welcome.
I recommend that you stay with the plastic setup until you get used to hovering, and ([X(]) flying nose-in (facing yourself - but not to close). When you want to progress with forward flight (FF) - just post then for more options.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:30 PM
PineApple2

Hi Peter,
     Happy New Year!!!
I had long time out from my Lama. Now I come back ))).
After downgrading from aluminium I was able to fly a little bit. And then after small crash I tried to repair but it doesn't work for me.

LAMA still can not lift up.

Here's the latest video: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlKz2MyHgQQ[/youtube]

Thanks for your help.

pineapple.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:01 PM
erdnuckel2

Hi Peter,
Happy New Year!!!
I hadlong time out from my Lama. Now I come back ))).
After downgrading fromaluminium I was able to fly a little bit. And then after small crash I tried to repair but it doesn't work for me.

Here's the latest video:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlKz2MyHgQQ[/youtube]

Thanks for your help.

pineapple.
Hey pineapple,

I watched your video a bunch of times and (you also say it) both rotors rotate in the same direction and that is a BIGNONO !! The LOWERblades MUSTturn in the other direction! switch the plug for the motor that turns the lower blades. the black wire at the 4in1 has to be where the red one is and the red wire has to be where the black one is.
Also, it is strange that your upper rotor is turning sooo long once you cut the power (might be pretty weak magnets in the motor - but also a lot of other things ... )
Change the motor plug and see what happens (as your upper blades rotate the right way the lower ones need to be changed.)

Sven

Old 01-18-2010, 02:56 AM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter,
Happy New Year!!!
I had long time out from my Lama. Now I come back ))).
After downgrading from aluminium I was able to fly a little bit. And then after small crash I tried to repair but it doesn't work for me.
Here's the latest video: [youtube]
Thanks for your help.
Hey again - welcome back - Pineapple2,

How have you been??[sm=49_49.gif]
HAPPY 2010 to you also!

What Sven posted is correct. Have you had time to try it out??

Your bird will not lift off unless the lower blades are rotating CW - and the upper blades are rotating CCW.
Just unplug the front motor wire - twist - and plug it back in.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:55 PM
PineApple2

Upper and lower blades are rotating in opposite directions.

I took a closer look at parts beneth swashplate and figured out that one bearing was not in its place. When I put it back LAMA starts flying.

Thank you for help Sven and Peter.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:58 PM
PineApple2

But to tell the truth, I decided to go with smaller heli. My appartment is small even for Lama. What's your opinion on E-Flite Blade mCX?[8D]

Maybe use Lama outdoors in the summer   
Old 01-18-2010, 07:29 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

If you are going to fly the Lama out doors makes sure it is DEAD calm NO WIND! I know from experience as I have 3 of them. I have the standard MCX, MCX S300, MSR and the tandem all BNF since I have the DX6i radio. Like them all and all are easy to fly but the MSR since it is a single blade is harder. But with the DX6i I changed the settings to calm it down and if I want 100% I can change the dual rate while flying. This is my MICRO MINE helicopter fleet which is 4 out of the 10 helicopters I have. I do very little alloy up grades if any as adding weight cases more problems then it cures.

Here is my custom Lava V3
Old 01-18-2010, 07:39 PM
barak1001

Because a lama would never fly in a wind right?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T35c32pQ3jM[/youtube]
Old 01-18-2010, 10:49 PM
46u

I guess if you call that flying. Looks more like a kite. LOL I have flown my outside and spent as much time getting it off the roof as I did flying unless it was dead calm. [sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-18-2010, 11:18 PM
barak1001

That was a 13mph wind with gusts of 20+ mph. The fact that it stayed within 10 feet of means I was most definitely flying it.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:26 PM
46u

ORIGINAL: barak1001

That was a 13mph wind with gusts of 20+ mph. The fact that it stayed within 10 feet of means I was most definitely flying it.
Yes and I noticed you keep it low to the ground. It defiantly was getting pushed all around. You did good.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:30 PM
barak1001

Watch the video in the Lama V4 thread. It's a bit more impressive. Wind speed was only around 8 mph today, so I was actually able to get some FFF in the video a few decent crashes.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9430592