Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Big Lama rattles on forward stick

Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Big Lama rattles on forward stick

Old 01-13-2012, 06:13 PM
rhodesengr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Lama rattles on forward stick

I bought an esky Big lama last week. It works well except it makes a rattling sound when I give it forward elevator (right stick forward). The other directions(backward, left, or right) do not make this noise. Any idea how I can fix this?
Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 PM
aircrash

Default RE: Big Lama rattles on forward stick

The swashplate is composed of two pieces. Check if there is any slop between those two pieces.
Just remove all the linkages and check by holding one piece and try to move up and down and to the side the other.

It may not make any rattling at other directions as the Big Lama is tail heavy. So it is more stressing to go FF than to other directions.

Then again check the fuselage. It may contact the frame and be loose enough so to vibrate and make noise.

In any case try to move the battery about 15mm or 20mm to the front. It will make the center of gravity better and the bird will also fly better and easier, and it will hover better.

Maybe a video showing the problem would help more.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:04 AM
rhodesengr

aicrash: Thanks for the tips. I fixed the rattle. One of the vertical rods going to the upper rotor was hitting the fusalage. on one side. I just trimmed the plastic with scissors.

Question about moving the battery. If I move it forward, what's a good way to hold in place. The little velcro on the end of the battery won't be attached anymore.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:10 AM
aircrash

Glad you found it. It`s a nice helicopter and it`s a pity not to enjoy it fully.

Well, personally I do the "credit card" mod. Only that Iuse aluminium instead of a plastic card.
I add one sheet to the upper side of the battery holder and one to the bottom. Then I put a stop and there I place some velcro.
There are some photos in the Big Lama thread.

Some other use the E500 battery holder. I don`t know. It`s kind fragile though.
Some other change the skids and use a tray underneath.

Now there is the xtreme skids.
I also use them.

And of course the easiest, cheapest and faster to do mod is to use some packaging tape to secure the battery to the position you want.
If you have only one battery and you don`t have a problem to be in the heli then it is a good choice.
Notice that the battery should be stored in a safe place. So now all the heli must be.

PS. both the "credit card" mod and the xtreme skids not only let you move the battery but they make the frame stiff and cannot flex. As if it flex then the pinion to gear clearance changes. That`s an added good thing of this mod.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:52 PM
rhodesengr

cool. I have been looking at the Xtreme mods. I already changed to their inner shaft and blades. Wasn't sure about putting more money into it if the basic mechanism was loose. Now I see its ok so I'll probaly get the skid, the tail boom, and the canopy.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 PM
aircrash

No, it`s a very nice helicopter.
You can convert it to canopy - tail boom if you like.
One tip: after you install the xtreme skids then check the pinion to gear clearance. As it may have changed out of the slightly different distance between the frame holes. There may be a difference.

Better post on the main Big Lama thread.