Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Honey Bee FP

Old 01-29-2010, 10:48 AM
GTX SlotCar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Honey Bee FP

Well, it looks like xtreme has, once again, decided not to support its customers. The new blade grips won't fit their old center hub or the stock one. So customers with expensive items like their old Paddle Control Frame and Center Hub (which I can't even find a link for anymore) are out of luck.
So, I wonder if their new blades grips will fit the stock center hubs for some of the new helis like the Walkera 4G1B, CB180 or the Exceed Falcon 40 V2.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:05 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased the walkera 2801 radio that has several high end features. I would like to use this radio with my HoneBee FP. I'm thinking about purchasing a Walkera 2605A RX for use in the HB. My question is, will the HB servos plug into the 2605A or does the 2605A require special servo wire ends. Another thing I will have to consider is will the 2605a or any walkera 4 in 1's be compatible with 11.1 volts.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:03 AM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well since I really want to use my new radio on this helo i am going to convert the tail to a belt drive with seperate Gyro and receiver.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:36 AM
Kelownan
My Feedback: (1)

Is that the Spectrum Clone? it looks like it.
the servos should be fine mate, i dont think the walkera 4in1 is smart enough to know what kind of servos are plugged in.

i am running a 3cell on my v1 honeybee just fine so i dont see any problem. im pretty sure walkera has been using 3cells for a while anyhow... Pete would be able to confirm that as he has one. one thing to watch is that the ariel's on th walkera's are prone to breaking at the solder joint so make sure its good and secure.

If your going to convert i would suggest the best option is a Guru-Z frame. dont get the neon version cos theres a newer one now
xeon i think its called. dont get the argon as its for the King2 and check the mainshaft size before you buy
http://www.ka-planes.com/guru_z

kel
Old 01-31-2010, 02:30 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Kelownan
Is that the Spectrum Clone? it looks like it.
the servos should be fine mate, i dont think the walkera 4in1 is smart enough to know what kind of servos are plugged in.
i am running a 3cell on my v1 honeybee just fine so i dont see any problem. im pretty sure walkera has been using 3cells for a while anyhow... Pete would be able to confirm that as he has one. one thing to watch is that the ariel's on th walkera's are prone to breaking at the solder joint so make sure its good and secure.
If your going to convert i would suggest the best option is a Guru-Z frame. dont get the neon version cos theres a newer one now
xeon i think its called. dont get the argon as its for the King2 and check the mainshaft size before you buy
http://www.ka-planes.com/guru_z
Hey again Kel,

I am unsure whether the Walkera "spectrum clone" Tx IS actually compatible with an Esky Rx. All I know is the older-style FM adopted a -shift and +shift difference to their crystals

I can confirm that 3-cell (11.1V) can be used in the larger birds of Walkera - but I'm not sure whether many of their smaller birds actually require 3 cells - they use mostly 2 cell and single-cell lipos. These small birds (eg 4G3) don't need them as they are so light-weight that a [link=http://rchobby.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=25_49&products_id=456]3.7V (single cell)[/link] is heaps!!

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. It is better to post a specific example just before connecting an 11.1V lipo to a 4in1 designed for 7.4V - you don't wanna risk frying the mosfets - that can become a very expensive experiment.......
Old 01-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Kelownan
My Feedback: (1)

That is a good point pete,

I wll say that ive not ever been to full throttle on my v1 honeybee which by the way came with a NIMH battery, and if ive been up high in the voltage end its usually only for a moment. so as things sit now i should be ok but...... (here comes the disclaimer)

Just because the crazy kiwi does it doesnt make it right, its my risk. you dont have to do it just because i do.
I will say if you want to try it then its your its up to you. Still i am talking here about the esky 4in1.

the esky 4in1 (my version yours might be different) for me works of a 8.4v nimh pack whick is very heavy and unwieldy.
its not much of a step up to a 3cell lipo but still that initial top end voltage of 13v could do some serios harm so i make sure to do a nice easy hover for a min or 2 before getting serious.

just to repeat, it worked for me but if you try it its your risk.

kel
Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Kelownan
That is a good point pete,
I wll say that ive not ever been to full throttle on my v1 honeybee which by the way came with a NIMH battery, and if ive been up high in the voltage end its usually only for a moment. so as things sit now i should be ok but...... (here comes the disclaimer)
Just because the crazy kiwi does it doesnt make it right, its my risk. you dont have to do it just because i do.
I will say if you want to try it then its your its up to you. Still i am talking here about the esky 4in1.
the esky 4in1 (my version yours might be different) for me works of a 8.4v nimh pack whick is very heavy and unwieldy.
its not much of a step up to a 3cell lipo but still that initial top end voltage of 13v could do some serios harm so i make sure to do a nice easy hover for a min or 2 before getting serious.
just to repeat, it worked for me but if you try it its your risk.
Hey again Kel,

I have a personal disclaimer also - but not refering to crazy kiwis It is more along the lines of: "These suggestions are followed with the understanding that everything done is at the owners risk and no responsibility can or will be taken by me........ Sounds like I intend to electrocute you all - (that is not my secret intention) - but I could be a canditate to rule the world[sm=bananahead.gif][>:]!!! BWahahaha[sm=wink_smile.gif]

Old 02-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Tinkman

Hey Guys,
It's been a while since I've posted here. Nothing much to report except that I'll be installing another Xtreme 380 today. I've been flying with a dying stock motor since I lost a bearing in the old 380a while back. I can't take it any more! I really got used to having more power than I needed. I'll let you know how it goes.

Joaquin
Old 02-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Tinkman

Surprise, surprise... more unexpected problems.
I installed the new Xtreme 380 today. I had ordered it because the stock motor I was using seemed to run out of throttle at about mid stick or so. Naturally I thought the motor was dying. Well, after my break-in I took the HB out for a flight and noticed the same problem with the new motor. So I pulled her aport again to check for binding or stiffness in the main axis. Everything seems fine except the new motor seems to have quite a bit of resistance to turning. I oiled it with a few drops ofturbine oil and ran it without being hooked up. Reinstalled but have the same problem. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this before.

Joaquin
Old 02-16-2010, 03:43 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Tinkman
Surprise, surprise... more unexpected problems.
I installed the new Xtreme 380 today. I had ordered it because the stock motor I was using seemed to run out of throttle at about mid stick or so. Naturally I thought the motor was dying. Well, after my break-in I took the HB out for a flight and noticed the same problem with the new motor. So I pulled her aport again to check for binding or stiffness in the main axis. Everything seems fine except the new motor seems to have quite a bit of resistance to turning. I oiled it with a few drops of turbine oil and ran it without being hooked up. Reinstalled but have the same problem. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this before.
Hey again Joaquin,

New one to me too! I would be actually suspecting a bearing and not the motor at all. A collapse can stick when under load and play up in ways that you wouldn't imagine. So, if you can isolate the problem (and it doesn't come out a motor manufacturing intolerance prob) - try replacing each bearing starting at one end of the power train and checking for a reduction in binding between............

BTW, When I first read the bolded bit above I added out loud "...or your lipo is dying"[sm=wink_smile.gif] Have you got another lipo to try instead? It doesn't seem to be the motors at all[sm=confused_smile.gif]

P.S. I have just got a pair of Super-blades XP in today's mail - so if I have time I would like to try installing those......
P.P.S. Turbine oil? Is that better than 3in1 sewing machine (light) oil?[sm=49_49.gif]
Old 02-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Tinkman

Hello Peter,
When I remove the motor all the binding in the main axis is gone, so I have to assume that it's either the strong magnets or a bad bearing.
Yep, I've run different batteries and I get the same thing. It's running like there's a governer or something. I'm starting to think that maybe there's a small break in the main power lead running to the 4-1 causing a restriction of amperage. I have an old 4-1 that has a bad gyro. I'm tempted to swap out the good side of that gyro with this one and see what happens.
I think you'll like your XP blades. They fly pretty nice inmoderate forward flight. They still tend to want to climb out of FF, but not as bad as the EZ blades.
I read somewhere that 3in1 oil has a tendancy to gum up over time due to solvents in the oil that evaporate. So I switched to turbine oil, which has no solvents. It's about the equivilancy of pure10 weight oil. I found some in a hardware store that has a really nice small diameterpull-out spout.

Joaquin
Old 02-17-2010, 03:08 AM
pgroom_68

Hello Peter,
When I remove the motor all the binding in the main axis is gone, so I have to assume that it's either the strong magnets or a bad bearing.
Yep, I've run different batteries and I get the same thing. It's running like there's a governer or something. I'm starting to think that maybe there's a small break in the main power lead running to the 4-1 causing a restriction of amperage. I have an old 4-1 that has a bad gyro. I'm tempted to swap out the good side of that gyro with this one and see what happens.
I think you'll like your XP blades. They fly pretty nice in moderate forward flight. They still tend to want to climb out of FF, but not as bad as the EZ blades.
I read somewhere that 3in1 oil has a tendancy to gum up over time due to solvents in the oil that evaporate. So I switched to turbine oil, which has no solvents. It's about the equivilancy of pure 10 weight oil. I found some in a hardware store that has a really nice small diameter pull-out spout.
Hey again Joaquin,

Good to know.
Re. you prob. I'm at a loss to explain it easily[sm=72_72.gif]. It is probably a collapsed bearing and a wire break.....

P.S. Glad you have a second 4in1 to try to isolate further.........
P.P.S. I should have bought XP blades in the first place - they are brillliant!!![sm=49_49.gif]
Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Tinkman

Hey Peter,
Well I tried testing that spare 4-1 (the good side) and had the same problem. When I put everyting back together I lost gyro control. I'm thinking now that I have another bad gyro. This is getting anoying...
Have you ever hear of anyone installing a 2.4 Ghz reciever into a HBFP V1? I'm thinking that way I can use my newer Tx, and even 11.1 V batteries. If I have to buy a new Rx, I might as well get what I want!

Joaquin
Old 03-03-2010, 09:13 AM
pgroom_68

Hey Peter,
Well I tried testing that spare 4-1 (the good side) and had the same problem. When I put everyting back together I lost gyro control. I'm thinking now that I have another bad gyro. This is getting anoying...
Have you ever hear of anyone installing a 2.4 Ghz reciever into a HBFP V1? I'm thinking that way I can use my newer Tx, and even 11.1 V batteries. If I have to buy a new Rx, I might as well get what I want!
Hey again Joaquin,

Nope - but try it anyway
[link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_204_234&products_id=3328&zenid=5da206ccf7a0790efdbd8e861c7c3289]THIS listing[/link] suggests that it is the same item for the HBFP & HBFPv2
(click "Show List" inbetween "< < Previous" & "Next > >")
This is what you are thinking of doing - correct?[sm=49_49.gif]
Well, you are the pioneering sort

P.S. You can find a cheaper price[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 03-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Tinkman

I have a feeling my son's V2 2.4GHz 4-1 might be missing after lunch today...

Joaquin
Old 03-03-2010, 04:49 PM
pgroom_68

I have a feeling my son's V2 2.4GHz 4-1 might be missing after lunch today...
ROFLOL! Great idea.......

Old 03-03-2010, 07:33 PM
dknovick

Hey Peter,
That doesn't sound right. Is it the tail or gyro. The tail responds to stick input, but the gyro doesn't adjust the tail to hold it? If you hold the bird (you can take off the main blades), spin it up and twist it, does the gyro try to correct?

Joaquin
As Peter pointed out, you can. Both are set up for brushed DC motors. You can use 11.1 on the V1 bird, but do use a fuse to protect it. (I can fix most 4in1 problems if you ever have one).

-Dave

Old 03-03-2010, 10:34 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: dknovick
As Peter pointed out, you can. Both are set up for brushed DC motors. You can use 11.1 on the V1 bird, but do use a fuse to protect it. (I can fix most 4in1 problems if you ever have one).
Hey again Tinkman,

That sounds like an excellent offer if you encounter probs with your "stolen" 4in1. Thanks to Dave..........

Old 03-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Tinkman

Hey guys,
You'll be happy to know that the 2.44-1 does work in the FMV1. I used my 6ch 2.4GHzTx to fly the HB. I did have to change the direction of one of the servos. The aleron I think. I'll tell you what, that 380 is PEPPY with the 11.1 V battery! I thinking I'm going to have to buy a replacement for my son's bird! This will make a nice conversion for goofing aroundand lifting stuff! I'm thinking I could use one of the spare channels for a release hook or something 8-)
And speaking of the 380, I'm wonderingif themore rescent batches of motors were designed for the higher voltage of the V2 HB. The magnets seem stronger than my last one, and that would explain why it seemed to be running slow on the 7.4v battery.

Hey Dave,
The problem I just started having with the FM 4-1 is that the gyro sends a voltage spike to the tail motor about every second. It's a very constant pace. So the bird wants to incrementally piroette (sp). About a quarter turn each pulse.It's so bad that it's un-flyable. My first 4-1 lost all tail control, so I assume it was the gyro in that one too. In both cases changing out the 4-1 fixed the problem.
I still have the old one, and will soon have an upgraded replacement for the second one. If you'd like to give it a shot, PM me with an address and an estimate and I maysend them out. I hate to just ditch the 7.4V system, as I have several new batteries. If you can fix them I could use them as backups.

Joaquin
Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Tinkman

Snapped a couple shots of today's highly technical and well planned experiment with my phone. Engineering at it's finest!

Joaquin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rp43907.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	1390802   Click image for larger version

Name:	sn41973.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	1390803  
Old 03-04-2010, 03:22 AM
pgroom_68

Snapped a couple shots of today's highly technical and well planned experiment with my phone. Engineering at it's finest!

ROFLOL

Old 03-06-2010, 07:52 PM
dknovick

Hey Dave,
The problem I just started having with the FM 4-1 is that the gyro sends a voltage spike to the tail motor about every second. It's a very constant pace. So the bird wants to incrementally piroette (sp). About a quarter turn each pulse.It's so bad that it's un-flyable. My first 4-1 lost all tail control, so I assume it was the gyro in that one too. In both cases changing out the 4-1 fixed the problem.
I still have the old one, and will soon have an upgraded replacement for the second one. If you'd like to give it a shot, PM me with an address and an estimate and I maysend them out. I hate to just ditch the 7.4V system, as I have several new batteries. If you can fix them I could use them as backups.
Weird, I've never neard that one... It's always turning in the same direction? Any other wires running close to the tail wires? I'd love to take a look at it (I love a challange!). I'll PM ya.

-Dave

Old 03-06-2010, 07:58 PM
dknovick

Where's the duct tape! LOL

-Dave

Old 03-07-2010, 01:05 PM
Tinkman

Yep, same direction. Quarter turn at a time. I'll see if I can get some video of it and post it.

Joaquin
Old 03-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Tinkman

Hey Dave,
I shot some video today of the tail control problem before I removed the 4-1. At some points it looks like the gain is set too high, but for the most part it wants to rotate in only one direction. Let me know what you think. Meanwhile I'll get those in the mail.
Thanks again,
Joaquin

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oko2oQ6QGHs[/youtube]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.