Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

My 2.4ghz V4 Lama

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 03:54 AM
k3nv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2.4ghz V4 Lama

Here's my V4 Lama that I did up.

Xtreme skids, tail boom, motors, grips, canopy
With LED lights, voltage indicator
Also found a nice tool box that fits it perfectly too.

I hope to put in some brushless motor setup later on but this will do for now.

[link=http://picasaweb.google.com/modathon/20090918EskyLamaV4Led?authkey=Gv1sRgCKyTkYSSvYzTGQ #]More Pics[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28549.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1278053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56504.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1278054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54757.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	1278055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79812.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1278056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81255.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1278057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sl26562.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1278058  
Old 09-19-2009, 04:07 AM
pgroom_68

Default RE: My 2.4ghz V4 Lama

ORIGINAL: k3nv
Here's my V4 Lama that I did up.
Xtreme skids, tail boom, motors, grips, canopy
With LED lights
Also found a nice tool box that fits it perfectly too.
I hope to put in some brushless motor setup later on but this will do for now.
Hey k3nv
Nicely blinged up! How does she fly?

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. You will have to look for a larger toolbox for when you get a [link=http://www.rchelicoptershop.net/catalog/lp0002-turbo-shaft-for-lama-dauphin-comanche-p-342.html?osCsid=b62b3afgu4j81q32007p5gctg0]Turboshaft extended inner shaft[/link] to stop the blade strikes! I HIGHLY recommend them! (they fit brilliantly into your Lama4)
Old 09-19-2009, 04:56 AM
k3nv

It's not hovering as well as I hoped. It kinda wants to drift back and to the right. But I've already tried to level the swash plate as much as I can. The linkages can't be extended any further to make it go forward more. I think the metal swashplate I have is crooked. I should put my original one back in sometime.

I understand how the longer shaft prevents blade strikes but how does it make it fly faster, control better and improve outdoor flight? I might pick one up.

"What is benefits for my helis?
- No more blade strike
- fly faster, much faster
- much better control
- better outdoor flight
- Includes 1 Turbo Shaft (with CNC head) and 1 spare shaft"
Old 09-19-2009, 07:09 PM
pgroom_68

It's not hovering as well as I hoped. It kinda wants to drift back and to the right. But I've already tried to level the swash plate as much as I can. The linkages can't be extended any further to make it go forward more. I think the metal swashplate I have is crooked. I should put my original one back in sometime.
I understand how the longer shaft prevents blade strikes but how does it make it fly faster, control better and improve outdoor flight? I might pick one up.
''What is benefits for my helis?
- No more blade strike
- fly faster, much faster
- much better control
- better outdoor flight
- Includes 1 Turbo Shaft (with CNC head) and 1 spare shaft''
Hey again k3nv,

The main two benefits are that first and last points - but they are all valid! The longer shaft increases the gap between the upper and lower blade planes, so when you dip the nose to go into forward flight (FF) and, in consultation with an [link=http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/BoomTownHobbies_Flybar_combo_Blade_CX2_Lama_V3_V4_ p/bth009.htm]adjustable flybar[/link], [link=http://www.helitek-rc.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=60](here are just the weights)[/link] - so you can make your own) try to maintain it (see video within Turboshaft link) the flybar tries to level out the helicopter again but is unable to. The original flybar is part of the problem - 'cause Esky purposefully "over-engineered" the mass so the bird will hover easier for the newbie (such as yourself). Later on, when you get really good at hovering around inputting a little bit - you may want to dip the nose and try some FF in which case you can then move the weights inwards towards the hub and lock them off at that point with the two grub screws. This lowers the flybars "authority" and allows you to maintain FF without the "scalloping effect" which you would get if you were to just put on a Turbo shaft. There are pics within [link=http://www.rc711.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1061]this[/link] link (scroll down a bit) that show you the diff'rent sensitivity levels easily adjusted by buying an adjustable flybar - THEN you will not need to buy a thing more (only replace stuff when you crash hard )

P.S. I tried to use links to online stores in the US to save you shipping $ and shipping time!
Old 09-19-2009, 11:33 PM
k3nv

Hi, thanks for the info. I don't have the original flybar. I forgot to mention it's an upgraded fly bar from the CX2. It's shorter. I got it from http://flyrcrivesud.com/upgrade_parts3.html
Old 09-19-2009, 11:59 PM
pgroom_68

Hi, thanks for the info. I don't have the original flybar. I forgot to mention it's an upgraded fly bar from the CX2. It's shorter. I got it from http://flyrcrivesud.com/upgrade_parts3.html
Hey again K3nv,

Sorry my bad. I didn't look at the pics again when returning to read your next post. THE FLYBAR THAT YOU ARE RUNNING WILL DO NICELY! So just order a Turboshaft and that is it! Did you get a chance to view both videos within the Turboshaft link (in post #2 above), and the 'this' link with the three diff'rent settings for that flybar? The beginner level is where you have the weights now. After you have installed the Turboshaft you can move the weights inwards towards the hub - but before and you will definitely get blade strike (or blade slap as some call it!)

P.S. The servo throw is the key to having faster and greater control over movements. The [link=http://www.rc711.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1903]servo arms[/link] on the Lama4 have been trimmed after the first hole - you will have to look around the online stores near you for these, or just buy these and wait for two weeks...
Old 09-20-2009, 02:22 AM
k3nv

I saw the vids of the extended shaft. Holy... looks like it cna fly outside pretty well too. Do you have this yourself? Can you fly with gusts of wind?

I'm looking to get some longer servo horns too. I'll check out my LHS to see if he has any.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 PM
pgroom_68

I saw the vids of the extended shaft. Holy... looks like it cna fly outside pretty well too. Do you have this yourself? Can you fly with gusts of wind?
I'm looking to get some longer servo horns too. I'll check out my LHS to see if he has any.
Hey again K3nv,

I have two of these installed in my birds. I also have one 2.0 Supershaft. No coaxial is good in wind above 8km/h - wind is the enemy of coaxials! Did your LHS have any Esky servo horns?
Sorry that I'm in a hurry today - work is booming!

P.S. I am mostly flying around my fixed pitch (FP) birds ATM.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:47 PM
k3nv

My V4's gear B just broke and my LHS doesn't have any in stock! I have to wait like 2 weeks for it to arrive now... I think it's the B gear since my A gear was just replaced and when I put on full throttle there is some lift and then it drops. I see some teeth broken off the B gear.

I also bought a Honey Bee V2 (fixed pitch) recently. Gonna move on up to a FP before I build my T-Rex 450 clone (I have all the parts but just too scared to touch it for now).
Old 09-21-2009, 11:55 PM
pgroom_68

My V4's gear B just broke and my LHS doesn't have any in stock! I have to wait like 2 weeks for it to arrive now... I think it's the B gear since my A gear was just replaced and when I put on full throttle there is some lift and then it drops. I see some teeth broken off the B gear.
I also bought a Honey Bee V2 (fixed pitch) recently. Gonna move on up to a FP before I build my T-Rex 450 clone (I have all the parts but just too scared to touch it for now).
Hey again k3nv,

Can't you order "lama gear b" via [link=http://shop.ebay.ca/ebayadvsearch/__lama-gear-b_W0QQ_dmptZRadioQ5fControlQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ Q_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em270]ebay canada[/link] and get it to your location faster than two weeks? I would go crazy having to wait THAT long[] I'm sure that I saw a link to an online Canadian r/c site that may have them also.....

Great news that you have other helis ready to go (don't be tempted to touch them just yet!) I strongly advise you to get yourself a flight simulator then. This will allow you to fill in the time when your bird is down (no matter what you fly) - and get your flying fix, and teach you orientation all at the same time! I have a cheap (US$40) flight sim called [link=http://www.rcflightsim.com/]clearview[/link]. It allows you to download & then try to fly some of the models for a few flights, and if you like it you can buy a key which "unlocks" all the models and landscapes. I found a site which has more models and landscapes also - so try it out if you want!

Peter[sm=49_49.gif]
P.S. You just plug your Tx into your usb port via the softdog.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:42 AM
pgroom_68

Hey again k3nv,

I found the site that has more [link=http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=314205&ck=]models & landscapes[/link] for the Clearview sim.

Sorry it took so long to refind - I hope they work now.

Download the zipped files to ClearviewRC/Clearview/models, then go into models via my computer, right-click the filename and extract the files (you may then delete the zip files as they are of no more use). When you enter clearview now the files will be accessable under models ("flying sites" for landscapes) - I hope!
For landscapes just substitute "landscapes" where it says "models" and follow the instructions above......

Old 09-25-2009, 02:06 PM
k3nv

Thanks for the clearview links. I'm actually using Aerofly now. I've used the clearview demo and didn't really like it. Phoenix is pretty amazing too. I can run the demo at 1080p/60hz on my LCD TV.

Any links to Aerofly models and landscapes?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:12 PM
pgroom_68

Thanks for the clearview links. I'm actually using Aerofly now. I've used the clearview demo and didn't really like it. Phoenix is pretty amazing too. I can run the demo at 1080p/60hz on my LCD TV.
Any links to Aerofly models and landscapes?
Hey again k3nv,

Nope - sorry! The guys at the local helimeet fly that on the big screen - I'll ask them in a couple of weeks for ya No promises though

Old 10-04-2009, 07:08 PM
k3nv

Hi,

I found a site that has tons of models for every rc helicopter sim. [link]http://www.rc-sim.de/wbb3/index.php?page=Database[/link]