Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Slow 'spinning round' problem while hovering :(

Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Slow 'spinning round' problem while hovering :(

Old 01-21-2010, 03:05 PM
upona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow 'spinning round' problem while hovering :(

hi. a new problem started yesterday on my HB king2 that i could do with some advice wth pls.

heli is hovering away, when all of a sudden the tail slowly spins round anticlockwise by itself, and im forced to land. moving rudder stick more to compensate makes no difference. if i go into a hover again, its ok for a few seconds, then round she goes again
i charged the battery today (2200 lipo) in good condition.], and squiggled the connections around on the receiver in case any had a bad contact, and at first i thought it had gone, as tail held well for a few minutes; but then it started happening again. it happens well before i have to recharge as the little plug in meter i have still has 3 green lights on when it happens, and the battery will last 18 mins, but it happens only after about 5.

whatever the problem is it seems to be effected by the battery state. cant detect any loss of power
the gyro is a HH one (skya model 'JB-06'). dont kno anything about it, as it was fitted when i bought the heli. i have no idea what the instruction manual is on about - double dutch lol. it seemed to be working ok before, in HH mode and normal. the red light comes on, and either blinks alot or stays constant at different times - i dont know if theres any significance to the lights flashing, like a fault or something. it still does this.

does the problem sound like the gyro going bad?
the blades tips are in a bad state. could vibration make the gyro go a bit crazy, or do you think its another electronic fault somewhere, say maybe the tx rudder controller? i havnt a clue where to look.
i think i have the original esky gyro so i'll fit that and see if the problem clears up. worth a try. cheers
Old 01-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Tinkman

Default RE: Slow 'spinning round' problem while hovering :(

Yes, I think I would switch with the stock gyro since you have it, and see what happens. It may be that the gyro is loosing it's orientation.

Tinkman
Old 01-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Angel_W

Hi, Upona:
I own one of these HBK2's myself for one year and a half now.  I've been sufering this behaviour, but  before saying anything else, can you let me know the radio set you are flying with?
Rgds
Old 01-24-2010, 12:13 PM
aircrash

If electronics is OK then check if the tail rotor looses power cause a slippery gear to shaft when the junction gets warm, or something like that.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:34 AM
upona

hi again. ty for replies. sorry for not replying sooner.

i fitted some new blades and thought it had gone away (was ok for couple of batteries), but has since come back.

so, i removed the skya head hold gyro, and fitted my original esky rate gyro instead. well, it was ok for a while but the problem came back.

- after about half to three quarters through the 2200 lipo, both gyros seems to stop working. funny thing is, it is fine when starting and for quite along time. with the esky rate gyro, the red light goes out and the tail servo stops working, and on the skya the light goes out and the servo works but does not hold the tail. but not totally sure as theres different effects every time.

when i disconnect the battery, and reconnect it, both gyros comes back to life ! weird. i refitted my skya head hold yesterday and when i tested it on a fresh battery it was fine, but dont think it will last a whole battery.

one thing ive noticed is the connections on the reciever are very bad fit, like theres not enough room for them all to go on. could it just be a dodgy connection due to pin damage? i was thinking it must be the receiver or something else 'up stream' that 'controls' the gyro. the belt seems fine, lots of grip. but i'll check it out, thanks for the suggestion.

btw its the 2.4G version of the HBK2. the tx, receiver, servos are all standard esky.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:00 AM
barak1001

It sounds to me like a brownout on the receiver which is causing the gyro to reinitialize.

It's possible that one of your servos is going bad or that the receiver is bad.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Tinkman

Have you tried swapping the tail servo for one of the cyclics? It might be the servo. The tail servoworks harder than the others and therefore may wear out sooner.
Just an idea to help nail down the problem.

Tinkman
Old 01-31-2010, 05:42 PM
upona

thanks for advice.dont know if it was a coincidence, but belt was definitely slipping today. never noticed it before but i could hear something clicking as it span round. i tightened it and it was ok, so hopefully that was the problem and not just a coincidence.

unfortunately the least of my probs as my test flight ended spectacularly badly. on a not particularly heavy landing upright on the skids, the whole head (incuding both blades etc) suddenly sheared off the main shaft just above the main shaft, and shot 15 foot across the lawn.

damage - the sheared off part at the top of the head that the feathering shaft goes through, 2 mangled esky digital servos, one missing turnbuckle linkage! my tail fin also snapped off- anoyingly lost its bracket in the grass.

not sure if accident was caused by the blades hitting the ground or not, but the blades were hardly damaged and the feathering shaft was not bent. might have just had a fracture from a previous impact or something

so anyway, thats me grounded for a while, loads to repair