Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

HoneyBee CP3

Old 01-21-2010, 11:44 PM
redman4264

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HoneyBee CP3

I just purchased a Honeybee cp3 and am awaiting delivery. Has bought or flown one of these that can give a little input as to how it flies? Also how hard would it be to upgrade to brushless? I can't seem to find to much info on this bird besides a few videos but seems there are not many posts from owners. Would like to know how it stacks up to a HBCP2 or a Eflight Blade. I see it has a dd tail motor which i think is a +.

I cannot find any upgrade parts for it though. Does anyone know where i can get some and are any interchangable with other esky birds? Also would like to know if i am limited to buying stock replacement blades or will others fit also.

There doesn't seem to be many places to get these heli's from. Is this because maybe it is fairly new or because it just not that popular? I hope i did not make a mistake buying this heli. I guess for the money RTF is not to bad. Seems to be capable of light 3d not that i am that good yet. Any input on these heli's will be much appreciated.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:31 AM
legrill83

Default RE: HoneyBee CP3

I just ordered one too.  Was looking for reviews and tips as well. 
Old 01-22-2010, 01:45 PM
redman4264

Well mine should be here on the 27th so I will know then. Seems there is not to much to find on this heli good or bad. I can't wait to get this thing in my hands. I been giving my lama 2 a hard time in the living room trying to work off the waiting lol.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:46 AM
redman4264

Well I have managed to dig up a few things for anyone interested. Seems you can use Honeybee CP2 carbon fiber blades on the Honeybee CP3. There is also a metal tail upgrade and a 380 upgrade motor here
heliguy.com/Electric-RC-Helicopters/HoneyBee-CP3/Upgrades/

I found some metal head parts listed here www.esky-heli.com/twf-esky-6ch-heli-parts-honey-bee-cp3-parts-c-507_485.html but not in stock. If anyone has bought one and can tell a few things or has done any other upgrades to this heli pls post them here.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Angel_W

Hi,
This page is not bad at all (http://www.rc711.com/shop/index.php?cPath=22)  and they have many interesting things and upgrades to go on.
Yes, I've noticed these E-Sky helicopters are not as popular as others but to get into this world I think they're Ok.
I always order replacements online since prices are lower.

Good flights!
Old 01-24-2010, 04:11 PM
redman4264

Hey, and thanks for the site, personally i prefer to buy from the states as shipping is a bit faster but sometimes parts are harder to find from here. This is not my first heli, i am rather just starting to get back into it. I have owned a blade cp and also a t- rex before and sold them when my finances would not support them. Now I am flying a CX/ lama 2, great fun but want to get into a more advanced heli again so i hope this one works out. Soon as I can get my hands on it i will post here with my thoughts, 3 more days though, till then i am on my cx and sleepless night wanting to get my hands on a cp heli again!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:15 PM
legrill83

Any reviews on this????
Old 01-27-2010, 04:48 PM
redman4264

Well my CP3 arrived! Very nice looking heli I should say, in black. I changed the connector to a deans so i could use my other battery a speedy 2200mah that was already charged. At first hover the tail was a bit twitchy so i adjusted the prop for it. Took to a hover real well and flew pretty good i would say for my skill level. I managed to get in a few circuts while still trying to get a feel for it. Heli was set up nice, I have not check the blade balance yet but there was no bad vibes during startup or in a hover. Blades where also tracking real well, from the factory, only mods i done was trimmed a bit of plastic so my battery would fit and put on a deans, but flew right out of the box. The tail was still a bit twitchy when i set it down, but i waiting on the stock battery to charge now, so i let you know how it does with it. Looks like the blades i got laying around for a old blade cp will fit it also so that is a +.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:54 PM
redman4264

Well gotta say this is really a great little bird! I am really satisfied. After 2 battery I feel like it flies really nice. Wind is blowing a bit but made some nice tight turns. Seems to have ok power to it except when you falling pretty fast you kinda have to juice it up. Gyro does ok also, when you give it alot of throttle it likes to start to spin a bit but seems to find its way back ok enough fo me to fly it neway, and that is saying alot. Pretty stable for its size and IMO it flies better than the Blade CP i had before. Flew in idle up for a minute and it done really well, though i am not good enough for 3d but on a sim and that still sloppy. Honestly I cannot believe it is still in one piece I did have a couple close calls that where my fault, Lost orientation. It did recover quite nice from a 90 bank. Seems it would not be to hard to get a loop outta this bird too, but I will save that for when I get a bit more stick time in. Overall for the $99 I am really impressed, I would definatly recomend the E-Sky Honeybee CP3 to a imtermediate pilot. I have not flown in 4 years, just got a cx about 1 month ago, and i was able to do really well in a slight wind. So maybe i get some sim time in for a few and hope my Batt. charges before dark falls, I would like to get a few more test flights in today!

Maybe i can get a few pics or a vid soon if i can talk my daughter into filming for me! Legrill let me know what you think of your when you get it. Hope you like it too, I think you will be happy.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:57 PM
redman4264

Here are a few pics of my new honeybee CP3, right out of the box except a deans connector has been added.

I would like to give you a video of someone besides a pro flying it, or someone who can do a bit more than a hover but I have no one to film atm so I will try when i can if i dun crash first!!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:58 AM
redman4264

HAHA had my first crash, broke skids and blew the 3 in 1!! Note to self: do the fuse mod!!!  Was flying great till i decided to put it into the ground
Old 01-28-2010, 12:53 PM
legrill83

Fuse mod>>> Remove fuse from top of motor?

Old 01-28-2010, 02:48 PM
redman4264

Ok I finished the fuse mod! I really wish I had went on and done it, would have saved me $18. Now I just gotta wait for my new 3 in 1, skid set, and skid bars cause I lost the one that flew off. I made some pics of what I did. I used a 7.5 amp fuse for the main motor and I used a 2 amp fuse for the tail motor.

Here is the overall layout.

Guess I did not cut the power fast enough when i hit. Hit pretty hard too, the ground was pretty soft, but you see the only other damage. Got a nice price on the 3 in 1 from helipal. Should be a easy fix when the parts get here Monday.

Hope this helps out Legrill, if not i can post a link to a pdf that shows in detail the fuse mod. Have you gotten your heli yet? Be sure to do this as soon as you can to prevent blowing you 3 in 1 in a crash. It will save you flying time and money. I could be back in the air if not for that
Old 01-28-2010, 03:24 PM
legrill83

Got my heli today in mail. Still at work though....would be much appreciated if you could post the fuse mod pdf.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2010, 03:45 PM
redman4264

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php This should be it. Also he shows putting the fuse on the motor, guess it is really your choice where it goes, servs the same purpose either way. I just found it easier to make sure I did not short out to the motor the way I done it. Little bit hard to get the wires the way you want the way I done it. Would be easier if the wires were longer but I managed. Be sure to keep everything safely away from your main gear as well. The heli in the guides layout is a bit different from the CP3 so i improvised. I think my job looks nice and tight, just make sure where ever you put it you have enough wire to reach fuses easily unless your gonna add more. However i do not recomend this cause the more breaks on the wire you have the less efficient the current transfer is. Also i attached my fuses to the heli before i soldered so that it would kinda serve as a extra hand. Seems like I always need one of thos when i go to soldering things together, and never one around.

Let me know what you think of your new honeybee when you get a chance. Hope you like it as much as I do, Kinda hard to admire it while it sitting here waiting on china lol.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:41 AM
legrill83

Flew the CP3 for firs time the other day.  I'm new at heli's but feel I should be able to at least get the bird moving around.  To me the CP3 seems very off balance.  When trying to lift off, it pushed back on to its tail.  The blades hit the tail area and broke off the horizontal fin and knighthead set. The horizontal axis is bent along with the main shaft and I also broke the SF control arm.  I ordered all these parts the other day

Any idea why the weight would be so far toward the back?  I put the battery in front as much as possible.

Just out of curiosity...what are your settings on the servo.  I saw in the manual its down up down up for mode 2. I had it in this setting..I assume this can;t be the problem right??

Thanks
-Larry
Old 02-03-2010, 01:05 PM
redman4264

Check to make sure your swash plate is level with everything on. I up, up, down, up for my channels
It does tend to be a bit heavy in the rear, I have my trim tab set slightly up to compensate and have to put my stock battery as far forward as I can. I have had one small boom strike but no damage.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:37 PM
redman4264

Here is a video of me flying the cp3. Kinda in and out alot, I had no one to work the cam.
www.youtube.com/watch
Old 02-17-2010, 02:57 PM
gettojoey88

I just got my cp3 in the mail today and well it sucks..... hover is terrible, its not wanting to listen much. I have already fiddled with the trims and the "gyro" but i need to see if theirs a REAL gyro out there that will help this bird a lot more! Is there anything out there that I can get that anyone knows about? please if anyone has any advice i would greatly appreciate it! im not a newbie at this, i have flown the walkera 22e and have the blade msr and mcx. So if anyone can help me out then AWESOME!!!

Thanks all!

joey
Old 02-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Stumblebee

I am using the 3in1 from a CP3 in conjunction with a Spektrum 6110 receiver to convert another brand of heli to enable it to fly using a DX7 transmitter. I just got the CP3 3in1 today but it comes with no documentation. Connecting the CP3 3in1 to the Spektrum 6110 is pretty straight forward. The rudder and throttle connections are well labeled. The main motor connector is pretty easy with its heavy gauge wiring. The power connection using the jst is also clear. I am guessing that the rotor motor connects to the two unmarked pins on the 3in1. Is this correct?

My big question is this. I hook up everything and the green light on the 3in1 is on. I apply the throttle and nothing happens. The servos work well because they are connected through the Spektrum 6110. I suspect I am missing a step in the arming process but without a manual, I'm dead in the water. The heli I am converting uses a 180 motor instead of the 370 that the CP3 uses. I think they are both brush motors so that should not be a big deal.

Any suggestions regarding why I am getting no throttle response would be appreciated.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:44 AM
aircrash

Start by testing the new 3in1 controller to some known in working condition motors. Those motors you test may have a problem.

Then again the Honey Bee CP3 uses a 11.1V battery.
Those 180 motors you test most probably use 7.4V, so you have installed such a battery.
But the controller may have a low voltage protection that is configured only to 11.1V, and may have not an automated low voltage protection based upon the battery type (2S or 3S).

So check with 11.1V known in working condition motors and a 11.1V fully charged battery.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:29 AM
redman4264

Yes the tail motor does connect to the two small pins at the top. Providing you did not short the unit in anyway, I do not know why it will not turn your motor. Yes the 370 is a brushed motor. Does the tail rotor spin when you arm it up or does it not work either motor? There is no special arming procedure, you just wait for the light to go green. Also like aircrash said, I do believe the 3 in 1 has a low voltage cuttoff, most of them do to my knowledge. If this is so then I believe it is gonna cut off around 9v which would be 3v a cell on a 11.1v batt.. This could very well be your problem, good call aircrash.

Also, ghettojoey, this heli is meant to be a trainer of sorts for people wanting to get into a CP heli, and wanting to try to learn some 3d. That being said it is set up for a beginner, meaning that is is setup to be very forgiving to stick inputs around center making the heli alot less nimble than one that is setup to not be as forgiving. From the factory I can hover my CP3 in a 4'x4' square in my small living room. I will be working to make mine a bit more agile here very soon. If you remover the flybar wieghts from your heli it will make it feel a bit more responsive to your inputs. Beyond that the factory programmed rate of the TX is what is making it so soft around center stick. I will be installing a new radio soon, this upgrade will allow me to set my own rates and should make it a little more agile. Also Esky has Some stiffer head dampeners that you can use to replace the ones that came with it. Doing this will make the heli a little more responsive as well. I have already placed my order for these.

It should not be to hard to add a better gyro to this heli if that is what you want. There are a few guides to adding these to the blade cp and to the HBFP which will be the same proccess for the CP3. Altough you will not have to buy a 3 in 1 unit as with those two birds because you already have one so the mods will not be major for you to do this. You can also move to a brushless setup really easy and there are a few guides for this as well. As far as the stock gyro it is really not that bad to me, It flies around quite well, Although the tail will kick out on you in a hard bank if your not carefull. Again i think this has a bit to do with the soft rates around center stick, but as far as holding the tail it seems to do ok to be a internal gyro on a 3 in 1.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:47 PM
gettojoey88

Do you know the web site so i can get the gyro set up? Idk how this could be a beginner heli from how stable it is. I would love to have it flying steady though!
Old 02-20-2010, 03:02 PM
redman4264

www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/Blade_CP_Pro_Manual.pdf page 40 is for a gyro. This is a cp pro manual but the setup is the same.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:35 PM
s2k kid

just ordered a CP3 and will be here on the 2nd. Never had a heli before so this should be interesting

so i have a noob question. I saw further up the post that the CP2 carbon blades are interchangable, but  what about other CP2 parts? CNC heads seems to be cheaper for the cp2 and looks like it would work.....but i'm new to this stuff and most likely don't know what i"m talking about yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.