Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

I am going out doors

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:25 PM
JEHERNANDEZ757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am going out doors

Ok guys, I need your help, I’m tire of trying to fly in my leaving room space, I will appreciate your recommendations on a good HB for out door flying.
Thanks
Old 05-14-2010, 01:57 PM
Tinkman

Default RE: I am going out doors

A good HB? I'm not sure what you're asking. To me an HB is the Honey Bee Fixed Pitch. You can fly these outside, but only with no wind. Other than that, you'd probably have to move up to a CP (Collective Pitch), like the Belt CP.

Joaquin
Old 05-14-2010, 02:15 PM
JEHERNANDEZ757

Thanks for the recommendation
I don’t mind if it’s a CP type, I would like to stay in the honey bee family because I already have a HBv1 and because I think it will make it easier when ordering parts
Old 05-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Tinkman

I've got the V1 too. It can handle up to about 3 MPH. Anuthing more than that can get really dicey.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:18 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Tinkman
A good HB? I'm not sure what you're asking. To me an HB is the Honey Bee Fixed Pitch. You can fly these outside, but only with no wind. Other than that, you'd probably have to move up to a CP (Collective Pitch), like the Belt CP.
Hey again guys,

It is a big step going from a FP to a CP bird. Ensure that you have enough practice with the orientation of the bird before venturing to CP birds - because WHEN you do crash a CP you spend A LOT of time getting the parts installed and adjusted correctly before you can take it outdoors to test it again. IMO Tony (Barak1001) has a really nice CP set up - he doesn't use a standard Esky radio - but would be an excellent resource to PM asking questions before you take the plunge!

Just an idea.........[sm=idea.gif]

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 05-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Tinkman

Good point Peter. I can vouch for the cost of parts and the time and effort it takes to get your bird tuned again after a crash.

Joaquin

PS
BTW, I'm looking real hard at buying a Futaba 7HC TX. I converted my HB V1 to 2.4 Ghz so I could use one radio for both birds, but didn't account for the CCP mixing on the Belt's TX, so I have to use my Son's TX to fly my HB now.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:46 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: Tinkman
Good point Peter. I can vouch for the cost of parts and the time and effort it takes to get your bird tuned again after a crash.
PS
BTW, I'm looking real hard at buying a Futaba 7HC TX. I converted my HB V1 to 2.4 Ghz so I could use one radio for both birds, but didn't account for the CCP mixing on the Belt's TX, so I have to use my Son's TX to fly my HB now.
Hey again Joaquin,

I recall that Tony said the parts required to get a CP flying again are getting cheaper and are now comparable to repairs to the FP - so I purposely didn't include $ in my last post......
Sorry, I can't help you on a Futaba Tx. I'm looking for a second-hand DX7 on ebayAUSTRALIA every day now - so local shipping won't double the total price

P.S. Now if you have asked about a [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-TX-Transmitter-Neck-Strap-FUTABA-14MZ-12Z-12FG-/250632847542?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item3a5ae1c0b6#ht_2211wt_974]Futaba Neckstrap[/link] I could have helped out The whole concept of not having to worry about dropping the Tx is great - and I really don't know how I did without one........
Old 05-15-2010, 08:53 PM
barak1001

To make a long story short I forgot to put throttle hold on my chopper and wound up having it fly upwards through an oak tree.

Total damage from the crash was:

1 x set of carbon fiber blades - $12
2 x HS65 servo sets - $16
1 x flybar - $.80
1 x one way bearing $5.50
1 x feathering shaft $.80
1 x main shaft $.80
1 x tail drive gear assembly $4

Total damage $39.90

I buy the main shafts, feathering shafts, and flybars in packs of 5 or more so they are extremely cheap. The one way bearing comes with the main gear and autorotation gear so it's a bit high. The servo sets are for Hitec servos so they are pretty expensive, but only cause I choose to fly expensive servos.

If you'd have seen the chopper after the crash you'd be amazed that it only took that much damage. Teach me to bump the throttle by mistake and not have throttle hold on.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:24 PM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: barak1001
To make a long story short I forgot to put throttle hold on my chopper and wound up having it fly upwards through an oak tree.
Total damage from the crash was:
1 x set of carbon fiber blades - $12
2 x HS65 servo sets - $16
1 x flybar - $.80
1 x one way bearing $5.50
1 x feathering shaft $.80
1 x main shaft $.80
1 x tail drive gear assembly $4
Total damage $39.90
I buy the main shafts, feathering shafts, and flybars in packs of 5 or more so they are extremely cheap. The one way bearing comes with the main gear and autorotation gear so it's a bit high. The servo sets are for Hitec servos so they are pretty expensive, but only cause I choose to fly expensive servos.
If you'd have seen the chopper after the crash you'd be amazed that it only took that much damage. Teach me to bump the throttle by mistake and not have throttle hold on.
Hey again Tony,

Thanks for the detailed info - it backs up what I was trying to say
Sorry to hear about your brush with the Oak, but knowing your love for the flying aspect of this hobby, you will have your bird back up and enjoying yourself soon They say practice makes perfect - and I'm sure as anyone gets more adept at repairing their CP they get faster..........

Old 05-15-2010, 11:29 PM
barak1001

It's on the ground awaiting parts from China. The shaft for the tail gear assembly would have run me around $5 in the states, I can get the entire assembly with mounting block for $4 from China, so I did that instead.

The rest of the helicopter is already rebuilt. Just waiting on the shaft and it'll be back in the air. I can rebuild a crashed chopper now in under an hour (including replacing servo gears).

Average repair cost for me in a crash has run from $20 to $30. Which is about the same cost as your average crash on a coaxial if you're having to replace shafts, flybars, gears, battery trays, frames, and the everything else that can break in a hard crash.

In a "soft crash" where the helicopter barely tips the blades it depends on if the blades are actually damaged or not and what type of blades you fly. I fly cheap carbon fibers. You can buy woodies that are as cheap as $3 a pair. Repair costs from a soft crash can run anywhere from $5 to $10. The problem is muscle memory. The reflex action for a coax pilot in a crash is to cut the throttle. The problem is that cutting the throttle doesn't just cut the throttle on a cp. It gives the blades negative pitch and actually makes the helicopter go towards the ground more quickly! This is the main reason my repair costs have been in the $20 to $30 range.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:58 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: barak1001
It's on the ground awaiting parts from China. The shaft for the tail gear assembly would have run me around $5 in the states, I can get the entire assembly with mounting block for $4 from China, so I did that instead.
The rest of the helicopter is already rebuilt. Just waiting on the shaft and it'll be back in the air. I can rebuild a crashed chopper now in under an hour (including replacing servo gears).
Average repair cost for me in a crash has run from $20 to $30. Which is about the same cost as your average crash on a coaxial if you're having to replace shafts, flybars, gears, battery trays, frames, and the everything else that can break in a hard crash.
In a ''soft crash'' where the helicopter barely tips the blades it depends on if the blades are actually damaged or not and what type of blades you fly. I fly cheap carbon fibers. You can buy woodies that are as cheap as $3 a pair. Repair costs from a soft crash can run anywhere from $5 to $10. The problem is muscle memory. The reflex action for a coax pilot in a crash is to cut the throttle. The problem is that cutting the throttle doesn't just cut the throttle on a cp. It gives the blades negative pitch and actually makes the helicopter go towards the ground more quickly! This is the main reason my repair costs have been in the $20 to $30 range.
Hey again Tony,

This is the reason why I practice CPs in Clearview sim - to try "removing" that muscle-memory Mixed success so far!

My favourite Cyber-bird - the one that I keep going back to in Clearview - is the Heli-Max MX450........
Old 05-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Tinkman

I hear what you're saying Tony. That embedded response to kill the throttle before you crash is a real problem when you're in idle up. I just rescently got to the point where I can throttle down and kill idle up at roughly the same time, and I've been practicing since Christmas!

Peter,
It's true, the CP parts are getting cheaper, but still a CP crash will cost more than a FP crash, just because the rotors are spinning so fast. The slightest blade strike will thrash a CP, where as the HB hardly notices. Of course, that doesn't stop me from flying/crashing both. 8-) It's an addiction I tell you! TherushI get from a nice FF flying session is worth the price of a bad crash.

Joaquin
Old 05-16-2010, 04:21 PM
barak1001

Although a slight crash in a FP will be a bit cheaper normally (depends on which FP it is), I'd still choose a CP over a FP helicopter (and I did when the time came to move up).

The main thing I took into consideration was the tail motor on the FP helicopters. They have an average life span of 4 to 20 flights. When the tail goes out more likely than not it's going to be a major crash. On my original setup of my 450 I got over 100 flights on the tail belt. I only wound up having to replace it when my radio failed and a boom strike caused the belt to tear in half.

Of course the second thing to consider is how easy the helicopter is to fly. A 450 is a lot easier to hover and fly than a small FP. Of course the down side is that the helicopter is a bit large to fly in a limited space that a small FP could fly in easily.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:51 PM
hanskaare

FPs are cool enough... for impressing children and letting your uncle or dad or cousin try helicopters for the first time.
Parts are cheap, they're easy to change and why not... it can be a whole lot of fun in the livingroom when the wife is out.
Had two FPs..... but don't miss them too much.

I took up flying rc helicopters about 4 years ago after a break of 8 years. BOY have the evolution exploded.
Started up again with a Walkera 36. Miss it alot actually. Was a great bird when I put an align brushless and futaba radio in it. But sold it of some rare reason I don't really remember.
Then I accidently traded an airplane for a Lama V3, still have it, but it's upgraded to a V4'ish version with a dauphin body. Having a blast with it in my livingroom, garage and the airplane hangar I'm working at. Don't think I'll ever sell it, because it really is a good bird to practice nose-in hovering, precision landings etc.

Honeybee King 2 is a cute little "ganster". May seem harmless, but can be quite a thriller if you are fairly new to the game.
Got it as a christmas gift from my wife 2 years ago. Really like it. Fairly fast and sharp in every edge. Yet stable enough to learn on. It has a frame that is easy acessible to change parts and not too hard to set up. BUT you NEED the brushless version. Got one i fly, and two in spare for parts. All brushless, and two of them's got alu upgrades all over. However I still like the plastic parts for their tendency to break themselves, and very often nothing more. Alu parts are harder to break, so the often take some other parts with them into the trashcan.
Was outside with my main King 2 an hour ago. Some test flying. Gusting winds, about 4-5 knots.
The heli was more on the side than straight for most of the flight. Got an align Trex 450 brushless in it and it has PLEANTY of power. I actually liftet an align md500 body under it today just to test if it would be strong enough to get a scale body on it. And voila! Success! Will post a thread on it later.

The Belt CP is kind of a stronger construction than the king 2, but also a bit fiddlier to change parts on. Have one of those too now.
Planning on alu-head, but stock plastic tail. Have only tested a friend of mines Belt CP once, and it is a bit more stable, but as I mentioned, the king 2 is a little bit more accesible when repairing.

Hope you made something out of this.
Good flying.