Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

hbk2 with dx7 radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 04:46 PM
ReadyToGo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hbk2 with dx7 radio

Hey guys,

I’d like to buy a cp heli and I think of honey bee king 2.

I have a few Esky coaxials and I think Esky electronics is very poor. Pls, don't hate me for that. I've really had many problems with them.

I wonder if you've had any problems with your honey bees, especially in regard to the electronics.

I have a few questions, pls:

Does the stock hbk2 radio work well?

Any radio loss of signal?

Interferences?

I'd like to use a Spektrum Dx7 radio with the heli and, in order to do that, I'd have to replace the stock receiver. Is it a good idea?

How long is a hbk2 flight with a good battery, pls? My Esky coaxial flights are extremely short even with brand new and fully charged batteries.

Thanks a lot.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:58 PM
gnd2

Default RE: hbk2 with dx7 radio

If you're going to get an HBK2, get the bare bones + brushless motor and ESC. The stock brushed motor is worthless, and you won't be wasting money on a stock radio that you won't be using.

If this is your first collective pitch heli, you should consider something larger. The small size of the HBK2 is going to make it more difficult to learn on. Also, it's only a "so-so" heli IMO, it's not easy to get it flying well.

flight time depends on the battery capacity and weight, motor, pinion, how you have it set up and how you fly it. Lots of variables. 6 to 10 minutes is a good ballpark. The battery will actually last longer with gentle forward flight than simply hovering since the forward speed gives more lift with less throttle. Of course higher head speeds and aggressive 3D flying etc. will shorten flight time.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:25 PM
ReadyToGo

hi,
do you think a belt CP would be easier to fly than a HBK2?
thanks.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:40 PM
gnd2

ORIGINAL: ReadyToGo

hi,
do you think a bet CP would be easier to fly than a HBK2?
thanks.
yes.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:57 PM
ReadyToGo

hi,
thanks a lot.
in your opinion, an hk450 would be a better heli than a esky belt cp?
thanks again.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:35 PM
barak1001

An HK450 would most definitely be a better choice.

It's got a much larger availability of parts, it's cheaper to maintain, and it's more stable because of its size.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:02 PM
ReadyToGo

hey Barak,
how are you doing, man?
thanks a lot indeed for your insight.
now i'm gonna have a real heli and i wonder if you could - again - clarify some doubts i have:
does cardan work better than strap on the tail rotor?
should i mind about the material the frame is made (carbon fiber, aluminum, etc)?
thanks very very much again.
rtc
Old 06-25-2010, 07:59 PM
barak1001

I have no idea what you're talking about as far as cardan?

Are you talking about torque tube vs a belt? If that be the case it's up for debate depending on who you talk to. I personally prefer belt drive, but others swear by torque tubes. I think that the belt drive requires less in the way of parts to repair in a crash and generally costs less to maintain, but torque tube transfers power more efficiently.

As far as the material the frame is made of it doesn't really matter other than weight and how well it will survive a crash. Aluminum frames hold up pretty well except in a high speed crash. In the type of crash that will bend the frame, the frame being bent will be the least of your worries.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:02 PM
gnd2

Belt drive tail is probably better for beginner. When you're doing hard 3D you may want the torque tube but otherwise the belt is fine.

I've only used carbon bodies in my 450 size helis and haven't busted one yet. The HBK2 is plastic and has some flex to it which makes good gear mesh a challenge. I bought some little gizmo to stiffen that up.