RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Esky Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/)
-   -   EKSY HoneyBee CP2 6CH Electric Heli Help!? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/3132551-eksy-honeybee-cp2-6ch-electric-heli-help.html)

kobus_uk 07-03-2005 10:18 AM

EKSY HoneyBee CP2 6CH Electric Heli Help!?

Hi all

I'm new to the RC community and only bought my Esky Honeybee CP2 two weeks ago. Everything was perfect except that the battery only held through the maiden flight and wouldn't charge after that. Bought a new Li-PO and it's holding out. I have practiced on FMS simulator but I feel that nothing comes even close to the real thing. Although it gave me some Good insight into the maneuverability and controlling of my heli. After a couple of hours on the sim I took on the real thing. I was amazed at this little machine totally in my control but soon realized that patience is a virtue. Evidently I lost my main rotor blades in an unfortunate accident. Almost in tears as I knew the accident could've been prevented. Which leads me to a great tip for beginners. Create an imaginary circle in which you will learn to hover. If for one moment you leave that circle, set down and reposition. Believe me it pays of. It's has only been about 15 10min flights and I'm already feeling much more confident in hovering my little beast. I took it outside today and was surprised on the affect a small amount of wind have on a stable hover. It changes everything. The Honey Bee is definitely a wonderful way to enter the RC universe.

Well as this is a ESky Honey bee Problem forum. This is my problem. I will try to illustrate the problem on someone else's picture that I saved from this very forum. They were not available to ask permission and hope that they will not sue me for it or something like that. Just feel that it would be impossible for my to explain my problem without an image.

Surely hope someone out there will understand what I'm trying to say: Here goes nothing.....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/ga...s/lg-18105.jpg

The swash-plate has a pin (#1) that seems to keep it from moving all around. It slides in a groove (#2) when you move the aileron forward and backwards. When I opened my package I didn't realize this until further inspection but this pin was not inside the groove. It was outside moving up and down the right outside edge. I carefully moved the servos down and slipped the pin into place. I was pleased with myself that I noticed this and was eager to fly thinking it might be more stable now. To my surprise it did not have any lift at all. At full throttle it sat dead on the ground. Before putting this pin back where it belonged I could easily lift of at half throttle with the trim also set in the middle. It just seemed to drift left a lot (which I thought was normal because of the tail rotor). It seems that the helicopter was set up at the factory with the pin (#1) out of place because it takes of easily when not in the groove (#2). There is a small pin that holds the fuselage in place that goes through a hole (#3) and because of the swash-plate not being in place as it should be the rod connected to the servo (#5) is rubbing against it causing the servo not to return to it's !QUOT!neutral!QUOT! position. That was definitely a mouthful but I've learned from reading the forums that here's some really experienced RC pilots and builders in here. What can I do to fix this?

I wish this was the end of my problems. Well another thing I noticed and I know that this will affect the performance of my heli is that the cable tie (#4) rubs against the main gear and I'm sure that it must put strain on it to some degree even though it still flies. I've learned from the forums that it's all about fine tuning. Would just like to achieve that. A fine tuned flying machine.

Also not visible on the picture I noticed that my 4-in-1 box is slightly skew to the left but I don't know if this will have any effect on the helicopter.

You must be getting really irritated by all my problems but my last problem and definitely not least is that my tail motor revs sometimes instead of keeping a steady speed, jerking the tail from side to side. I noticed this happens mainly when I adjust the aileron to the right for take-off. I also feel the need to keep the right analog stick ( aileron) to the right during hover because if left in neutral the helicopter dives to the left. I believe that this might be because of the pin (#1) out of place as mentioned earlier.

Well that is all for now and I'll be really glad to get all this sorted out to be able to get back to training. I feel that if I keep training on a defective Heli that I might have problems when it's all finely tuned. Better to get it sorted out quickly.

I am looking forward to your replies and will be glad to help any beginners with my experience gained. Feel free to e-mail me with questions or anything regarding Electric RC helis. Would love to see your maiden flight videos or anything similar. My e-mail address I don't usually give out freely but I feel in the RC Universe we are all brothers.... (and sisters I should add)

My email address is [email protected]

Thanks

Kobus_uk

paedbo 07-03-2005 12:16 PM

RE: EKSY HoneyBee CP2 6CH Electric Heli Help!?

well before since the swashplate was twisted alittle, the servo rods were all on a slight slant, now that you turned the swashplate to where its supposed to be the rods on the servos are vertical like they should be, but this means they seem "longer" than before, and the honey bee to lift off pulls the swashplate down, so now its not going down as far as it used to, take off all 3 ball links that connect to the swashplate from the servos and try making the rods shorter, but do them all in unison, like i would turn them all 1 turn, then connect them back to the swashplate and see if it will fly, if it needs more go back and turn them all in 1 more turn or 1/2 a turn if you think its close and try again until you get it back to the way it flew before you fixed the swashplate,

just make sure you do all 3 rods at the same time, if you make one shorter but not the rest your going to mess things up.

( when i say turning them to make shorter i mean turning the ball links on the end of the servo rod, you would turn them clockwise if you were looking down at the heli from above)

kobus_uk 07-04-2005 10:52 AM

Finally!!

Time to go home and fly some! :D
Hope you've all had a great day!!!

gattico 07-25-2005 08:22 PM

I just got my Honeybee Cp2. How does the battery attach to the helicopter? It has a semi flat battery hanger with 2 rubber band. I have seen other Esky copters witha battery holder that attaches to the end and wraps around the battery.
What does the IDL switch do on the transmitter

paedbo 07-25-2005 09:12 PM

it rubber bands to the battery holder,

idl im assuming you mean the switch on the uppor right of the transmitter, this is the idle up mode, or 3d mode, in normal mode, your engine rpm and pitch will increase when you move the throttle stick up, however with the 3d switch turned on, your rpm will stay pretty constant and only the pitch of the blades will change, also the zero pitch point of the blades will move to near mid stick allowing you to be able to do inverted flight with negative pitch by simply pulling the throttle down below halfway.

gattico 07-26-2005 07:24 AM

Thanks. That is nice to know. No mention of hat in the manual. I increased the throttle and only the pitch changed. Til I switched that switch and it rev up and settled down. What does the TRIN switch on the left do?

paedbo 07-26-2005 04:41 PM

thats the trainer switch as far as i know it does nothing lol, maybe if you connect it with a buddy box to another transmitter, you can flip the switch to give control to the other radio. who knows?

gattico 07-27-2005 05:39 AM

Have you been able to connect to a PC and use FMS. I have a Parrell cable for another transmitter. But using PPjoy it detects nothing.

Chiss 07-27-2005 07:18 AM

Hi Gattico,

My HB-CP2 came with a serial cable, and it works like a charm. For FMS, you select the Serial PIC interface and only need to do some axis mapping. Also, by using PPJoy I was able to have the transmitter recognized as a regular joystick and can use it with other simulators as well. I have a 1.8GHz Athlon with WinXP, in case you wonder.

gattico 07-27-2005 08:13 AM

Thanks. I have a 9 pin parrellel port adapter that I got with my Dragonfly transmitter. I have gotten it to work using ppjoy. But will not read any stream using my Esky transmitter.

gattico 07-27-2005 08:51 AM

I was wrong, I have a serial cord. Still have not got it to work in FMS. I have windows Xp

Chiss 07-27-2005 12:50 PM

Gattico,

So you're saying you got PPJoy to work with another transmitter? Well, why don't you use that transmitter instead, for simulator flying?

What I did at first was to install PPJoy and used the "Virtual Serial Port", ticked the debug boxes that will get the speaker to emit some noises when some signal and received, and confirmed that there was in deed something coming out of my transmitter. I then configured FMS to use my new 4-axes "joystick" and just had to map and calibrate it. Worked ok. I then tried to run FMS without PPJoy, but selected the controller as a PIC-serial interface, and it worked too.

hb888 07-27-2005 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Gattico,

Try these settings. My Tx is for the Honey Bee FP 4Ch.

gattico 07-27-2005 06:39 PM

Okay, I may use my other transmitter.

But I have run across a problem. I can not get altitude. It just sits there. Sometimes I get a couple of inches off the ground. Any ideas.

Chiss 07-27-2005 09:00 PM

Hi Gattico,

The first time I loaded FMS, the calibration and mapping was all wrong. Click the "Calibration" option from within FMS and see which axis number is associated with each lever/direction of your transmitter (the blue rectangles you can see in HB888's post), then associate those numbers with the 4 last axes in the list to the left (tail, nick, roll, pitch). You also need to calibrate everything, i.e. it will ask you to move your sticks in all directions so it knows what's your min and max range.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

gattico 07-28-2005 05:00 AM

Okay. I meant I can not get the real helicopter up off the ground sometimes. Given max throttle it might rise 2-3 inches. a lot of times in just sits there. I have the throttle and trim to the lowest setting and then connect the helicopter battery to calibrate.

Chiss 07-28-2005 11:41 AM

Oh! Sorry I misunderstood.

If your helicopter does not goes up, that means you don't have enough lift. Here are some possible causes:

-> Not enough speed from the main rotor, however that's unlikely if your battery is full

-> Not enough pitch angle from your main blades. Easy to fix, see Paedbo's post (second post of this thread) on how to fix that

-> Too much pitch angle (too much of anything is bad :)), so your blades are causing too much drag and not enough lift (think of a hand sticking out of a car window, flat is ok but 90deg makes it hard to keep in one place!)

Good luck,
Chiss!

gattico 07-28-2005 08:29 PM

If I trim the throttle up all the way I can lift off. I need to trim the tail rotor. On the ground the helicopter doesn't spin. But when I get it up. It rotates like a top.
JOhn

Chiss 07-29-2005 07:05 AM

Are you saying that your throttle stick needs to be all the way up, or just the trim? If so, that's wrong. Mine is like that too, and I just adjusted the links as per Paedbo's post, but haven't got the chance to test just yet. I did it because my friend's HB Cp2 actually lift off around mid-stick, which make more sense.

As for the tail rotor, maybe you need to adjust the "proportion" pot on the 4-in-1 receiver. I wasn't sure what that pot was doing, so I asked (see my HoneyBee Cp2 4-in-1 adjustment pots thread) and someone suggested that this is to adjust the ratio between the tail rotor speed and the main rotor speed. If your transmitter trim is not enough to compensate, try playing with this pot, half a turn between each test. Because when you think about it, if your tail keeps turning, it can only be because you have too much or not enough lift from it. Since the only thing you can change on that is the rotation speed, the proportion pot seems to be the only way to go.

Many years ago, I had a small nitro and there was also a knob on the transmitter to adjust the tail in proportion to the main throttle, so it could be done on the fly, but this was a more expensive Futaba transmitter, not the included ESky channel 6...

Good luck!

gattico 07-29-2005 12:17 PM

Both trim and throttle need to be all the way up and I get to lift off but only a couple of inches. I checked the trim and may need to adjust the pitch. Which linkages? Should the left and right servo arms be level when there is 0 pitch?

mrebman 07-30-2005 09:36 PM

Getting back to the original question, does the pin #1 go in groove #2 or should it be outside?? I pop my pin into the groove & next time I fly I find out that it has popped back out. What is the purpose of the pin & the groove??

-Thanks-

Mike

gattico 08-01-2005 04:35 AM

I took my copter to a R/C store and the blades were changed out. The covering was tearing so they produced alot of drag. The guy there could fly it. But I could not. I guess it is Operator error.

rotarypower3 08-01-2005 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: mrebman

Getting back to the original question, does the pin #1 go in groove #2 or should it be outside?? I pop my pin into the groove & next time I fly I find out that it has popped back out. What is the purpose of the pin & the groove??

-Thanks-

Mike
Yes, the anti-rotation arm is supposed to go in the anti rotation guide. It's there to stop the swash rotating.
My CP2 used to pop it out occasionally, really made the heli fly like...... not good!;)

gattico 08-01-2005 05:10 PM

Okay I am frustrated. I have checked the degree of pitch and it is is at zero with throttle down and trim down and I guess 10 degrees at full throttle. Yet I can not get this copter up. The guy had the shop got it up at half trim and half stick. Yet at full throttle and trim It sits there. How might I increase pitch? The battery was fully charged also and it seems the motors runs good.
John

Chiss 08-02-2005 06:39 AM

Did the guy at the shop had the training gears off, but you're putting them on for your practice ? Although they're light, this could make a difference... Otherwise, it's hard to tell what was the difference.... I once noticed that moving my cyclic from left to right seemed to make the helicopter lighter on its skids... Maybe the guy did that ?

Looks like you have some nice people at your local hobby shop.. Good for you!

Good luck!

Chiss!