RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Esky Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/)
-   -   E-SKY LAMA 2 THREAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/3555073-e-sky-lama-2-thread.html)

GTX SlotCar 11-15-2005 02:05 PM

E-SKY LAMA 2 THREAD

I just received an E-Sky Lama 2. Out of the box, it's quiet and very stable. I'm having a small rudder problem, though. The Lama wants to slowly rotate counter clockwise even with full right trim. I'm charging the battery now, and I realize that a full charge may change things, but aside from twisting the blades, is there any other adjustments I can make to correct this. Does anybody else here have one of these or something similar?

helmutk 11-15-2005 03:31 PM

RE: E-Sky Lama 2

I just received the Esky Lama 2 and have the same problem. My TX trim is all the way to the right also. It still has a slight CCW rotation. I tried playing with the pitch of the top blades to help but no luck.
I was wondering what the pot on the component side of the "4in1" controller does. I do not see any proportional adjustment for the tail on the controller.
I read in another forum of people with the same problem.
If the ball link from the top blade grip to the stabilizer was adjustable I think that might be used to adjust the pitch of the top rotor and help with the tail trim.

GTX SlotCar 11-15-2005 04:03 PM

I think it needs more pitch on the top rotor or less on the bottom, but I'm not sure. Does that sound like the right way to you? I might try making the top blades wider by taping some paper extender on them just to see it helps, then I'll know what to work with. Maybe shaving a mm off the bottom blade width will help.
I haven't seen the pot on the 4 in 1, but I'm not sure I want to play around with it. There may also be additional trim pots in the transmitter, but I haven't taken that apart either. Regardless, any changes made with electronic trim can only slow down one motor, and that means less performance. The right way to fix it would be to play with blade pitch.

I haven't balanced or tracked the blades yet. I'll have to wait until I get home so I can tape a blade to track them (they need it), but the Lama is pretty stable right now. The LiPo is a little tight in the battery holder, too. So far, it's the only problems I can see with it. It's a blast to fly.

Did you get yours on eBay? $75 + $30 shipping?
What is the other forum you got info from?

GTX SlotCar 11-15-2005 04:34 PM

I think I got it.
I had a couple minutes, so I twisted both upper (added pitch) and lower (decreased) blades. It started rotating CW instead. It also messed up the tracking, but I can take care of that later. I don't know how well these blades will hold the twist, though. These motors get really hot. That's a bit of a concern.
I have a DF #4 and a DF 36. Everything on this Lama looks so tiny in comparison.
I took off from my desk, landed on the conference table and then landed on a kitchen island (display). What a blast. I might get another one. I wonder if they have different channels (frequencies). Mine is on 19.

bfrunner 11-15-2005 05:00 PM

That pot thats on the board controls the motor proportion. Set your trim on your TX to nuetral, and center the pot. Adjust thepot from from there, also the adjustment to the proportion pot on the board won't take effect until you unplug and replug in your battery to reset the 4 n 1. There will always be some unwanted yaw as you run the battery down.

helmutk 11-15-2005 05:33 PM

Yup...tweaking the pot on the "4in1" did it for me. Thanks.
Now my rudder trim is centered. Still have to adjust the rudder as you fly but I think this is common for a coaxial rotor heli, especially one of this size. Sure is a lot of fun to fly.

helmutk 11-15-2005 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: GTX SlotCar

I think it needs more pitch on the top rotor or less on the bottom, but I'm not sure. Does that sound like the right way to you? I might try making the top blades wider by taping some paper extender on them just to see it helps, then I'll know what to work with. Maybe shaving a mm off the bottom blade width will help.
I haven't seen the pot on the 4 in 1, but I'm not sure I want to play around with it. There may also be additional trim pots in the transmitter, but I haven't taken that apart either. Regardless, any changes made with electronic trim can only slow down one motor, and that means less performance. The right way to fix it would be to play with blade pitch.

I haven't balanced or tracked the blades yet. I'll have to wait until I get home so I can tape a blade to track them (they need it), but the Lama is pretty stable right now. The LiPo is a little tight in the battery holder, too. So far, it's the only problems I can see with it. It's a blast to fly.

Did you get yours on eBay? $75 + $30 shipping?
What is the other forum you got info from?

As some have recently told me you don't have to mess with the rotor pitch to get the rudder trimmed. Adjust the pot on the "4in1" controller. Will have to remove the canopy to get to it. Remember the adjustment does not take affect untill you remove power from the controller and re-connect it. Did the trick for me.

I got mine from www.HobbyJapan2000.com , paid about $140 shipped, 2-4 day delivery.
There was no current $75 ebay auction for the E-Sky Lama 2.
RCGroups is the other forum I follow.

GTX SlotCar 11-15-2005 06:39 PM

I'll check the pot, but just to make sure both motors are turning at max. rpm. Then I'll tweek the blade pitch. If you just use the pot, all you can do is slow down one motor. You'll lose lift on one rotor. It may be a quick, easy fix, but it will cost you in performance and flying time.

Can you adjust the pot with the motors running (blades removed, of course)? I know this sounds like a stupid question since the receiver has to be reset for the change to take effect, but I thought I'd ask anyway. It would make tweeking a lot easier.

My crystal has a 19 on it. Is everyone's the same?

GTX SlotCar 11-16-2005 01:11 AM

I just bought some main blades from heli-fever, $12.50 for 3 complete sets (12 blades). I added a stabilizer set (flybar) too, just in case. Is there a better/cheaper place to get parts for these? Is there anything else that might break often?

Dragonuv 11-16-2005 02:17 PM

Definitely buy some extra motors! for 7 bucks a pop, I would buy 2 spares. You gotta have a spare flybar just in case because it is known to pop off during flight and you could lose it. Just happened to me yesterday. I was flying my LAMA 2 outside, giving it an aggressive inputs when all of a sudden the flybar popped off. Needless to say, I lost control of the helicopter and crashed it from about 20 feet. The only damage was broken tail. Glued it..very easy fix.

I got my spare parts from www.balsapr.com. They are base in New Jersey and they ship priority mail.

I just bought some main blades from heli-fever, $12.50 for 3 complete sets (12 blades). I added a stabilizer set (flybar) too, just in case. Is there a better/cheaper place to get parts for these? Is there anything else that might break often?

GTX SlotCar 11-17-2005 02:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just playing around with some ideas. This canopy is a tad lighter than the stock one. Something like this might not look too bad with a standard type tail boom.

pinnaclemodel 11-17-2005 09:26 AM

My shop [link=http://www.pinnaclemodel.com]pinnacle model [/link] also offer Lama2 spare aprts and carry the full range of spare parts of this model. Check it out.

Dragonuv 11-17-2005 12:36 PM

I checked out your website. Although your prices are good, I found that it is difficult to find all the spare parts for the LAMA 2 because they are mixed with other parts for other models. You should consider sorting your parts list by model name.

ORIGINAL: pinnaclemodel

My shop [link=http://www.pinnaclemodel.com]pinnacle model [/link] also offer Lama2 spare aprts and carry the full range of spare parts of this model. Check it out.

GTX SlotCar 11-17-2005 01:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Dragonuv

....I found that it is difficult to find all the spare parts for the LAMA 2 because they are mixed with other parts for other models. You should consider sorting your parts list by model name....
I thought the same thing. I couldn't even find replacement blades, and those should be the most popular item.

GTX SlotCar 11-17-2005 01:08 PM

Definitely buy some extra motors! for 7 bucks a pop, I would buy 2 spares. You gotta have a spare flybar just in case .....
....I got my spare parts from www.balsapr.com. They are base in New Jersey and they ship priority mail.
Thanks for the tip on extra motors. I did buy a flybar. Mine has flown off a few time, too.
I almost bought the stuff from balsapr. The prices were a little higher, but the shipping was cheaper and the end price was about the same. Heli-fever had some PE blades I wanted to try for my DF #4, so I put the entire order through them.

Flypaper 2 11-17-2005 02:17 PM

RE: E-SKY LAMA 2 THREAD

I lost my flybar out on the lawn twice but luckily I found it, so I tied it loosely to the blade bracket with dental floss and CAd it. Haven't lost it since although I have had it come off on a less than perfect landing. :D

Cal-Torque 11-19-2005 06:15 PM

So, you guys recommend this heli? I was going to wait for the Blade CX, but I can get 2 of these for around the same price. I bought the Dragonfly from this seller, and it was a piece of crap. So, I'm a bit apprehensive about getting another XRB clone.

helmutk 11-19-2005 06:33 PM

I would recommend the E-Sky Lama 2. I am relatively new to RC Helis and it was easy to learn how to fly but at the same time can be flown fairly aggressively. It is responsive but stable.
At a little over $100 it is definitely worth it. Compared it to a $70 Bladerunner the Lama 2 is a whole step beyond it in the RC heli experience.
I have a E-Flite Blade CX on order so it will be interesting to compare the two.
The E-Sky Lama 2 has only been out a month or so that I know of but I have seen no major complaints of it on the forums.

pmfmod 11-20-2005 04:58 AM

Lama 2 are great helis they are so stable that cannot believe. the blade cx is a rebagged ones from the lama2. they will be much more expensive than lama2

helmutk 11-20-2005 12:08 PM

The E-Flite Blade CX does not look like it is a rebadged E-Sky Lama 2.
From the pictures I have seen of the Blade CX the motor placement is different than the Lama 2, which I have.
On the Cx they are side by side vs. front and back of the main shaft on the Lama 2. Also the mechanics look positioned differently though it probably has similar swash mechanics.

GTX SlotCar 11-21-2005 04:40 PM

... I got my spare parts from www.balsapr.com. They are base in New Jersey and they ship priority mail....
Wow, I ordered my new skids and motors from balsapr on Friday and they're here on Monday. The stuff I ordered from heli-fever a couple days before hasn't arrived yet. Fast shipping.

SkyBooger 11-21-2005 07:47 PM

Just got my E Lama....Does anyone know if I'm suppose to drain the Lipo first BEFORE charging?The copter leds light up green&red...the manual doesnt say what this means.
SkyBooger

GTX SlotCar 11-21-2005 08:09 PM

See if it flys. If it has a partial charge (LiPos should be stored charged) it should fly for a while. Mine did for a couple minutes. If yours doesn't, don't keep trying. Charge it right away.

SkyBooger 11-21-2005 09:27 PM

GTX SlotCar ,
Got it charging!Thanks.
Now ...if I understand Chinese(Which I dont)the charger instructions say the green led will turn off when its fully charged.Correct?Cause the manual says different instructions.The charger is presently HOT...
SkyBooger

GTX SlotCar 11-21-2005 09:58 PM

Right. The green LED will go out when it's charged, then at times it will flash when it's in trickle charge mode. My charger gets hot, but the battery doesn't.
One thing you'll notice is that vertical control can be hard sometimes because of the clicks in the throttle. There will be times you'll wish there was a click between the clicks. Opening the Tx and getting rid of the clicks will remedy this. There are a couple ways to do it.