RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Esky Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/)
-   -   DX6, DX6i, DX7 thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/7157570-dx6-dx6i-dx7-thread.html)

brac1960 04-26-2008 08:00 AM

RE: DX6, DX6i, DX7 thread

ORIGINAL: nuttcaze

I got a question about my new DX6i, I see a throttle hold switch, is there a seperate idle up switch? I remember a long time ago (3 months actually :D) someone told me to always carry my heli with ther throttle hold on, had me really confused for the longest time cause stock Esky Tx's don't have that switch. Am I right to assume that the hold switch will prevent the motor from spinning up when the switch is turned on?
The throttle hold is the back switch on the right, but you have to program the values in at 0 in all positions, and yes with the switch down it will prevent the heli from throttling up if you accidentally hit the throttle, if you have the values set at 0. The idle up is on the left side marked gear/ flight mode. Flight mode being idle up. [)]

nuttcaze 04-26-2008 12:54 PM

question, when it says left does it mean left with the tail facing you or away from you, just curious what side of the swash most people use as the aileron servo

Ch1 : Throttle (esc)
CH2: Aileron (left cyclic servo)
CH3: Elevator (front or rear single cyclic servo)
CH4: Rudder (gyro)
CH5: Gear (gyro remote gain cable)
CH6: Aux1 (right cyclic servo)

Hati 04-26-2008 03:41 PM

question, when it says left does it mean left with the tail facing you or away from you,
Left is NOSE left when you stand behind the heli (tail in). Tail left would be the wrong direction as I found out the hard way [:@]

nuttcaze 04-26-2008 04:06 PM

any ideas why my DX6i acts as if its a mode 1? the sero actions are reversed, like forwards cyclic is on the left stick instead of the right stick, any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Hati 04-26-2008 05:04 PM

Is your throttle activated by the right stick up and down movement? That is Mode 1 configuration.

nuttcaze 04-26-2008 05:09 PM

this isn't suppose to be a Mode 1

http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=6426

Hati 04-26-2008 07:02 PM

That is Mode 2 according to the description, but you didn't answer my question. Which stick works the throttle on your transmitter?

brac1960 04-26-2008 07:42 PM

any ideas why my DX6i acts as if its a mode 1? the sero actions are reversed, like forwards cyclic is on the left stick instead of the right stick, any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
If it is mode 2 it sounds like your servo's are plugged in to your reciever the opposite of what they should be.
If you where looking at the heli from the front this could happen???????
This is how it should be if looking at the heli from the rear.
front right servo is elev
left rear servo is aileron
right rear servo is pitch (aux)[8D]

nuttcaze 04-26-2008 07:45 PM

thats the way mine are, my Left/Right cyclic is fine, all my servos move in the right direction, but my front/back cyclic is on the wrong stick (left one), how did I manage this one [sm=confused.gif]

brac1960 04-26-2008 07:55 PM

Geez, I don't know nut that sucks. [:o]I don't know if it could have something to do with the programing, but I don't think so???????
Sound like you got a mode one tx?????? I looked through my manual and it doesn't say anything about the mode in the set up menu?????
If you got it from Ka-PLanes I would contact Mike, he'll help you out, for sure.[)]

nuttcaze 04-26-2008 08:24 PM

I got it from HeliDirect, but my throttle stick is the left one (the stick without the centering action)

shizack 04-26-2008 08:40 PM

Hey nuttcaze...

Do I have this right?:
Left stick up/down moves elevator
Left stick L/R moves rudder
Right stick L/R moves aileron
Right stick U/D does...what?
Which stick movement affects your throttle?
Which stick movement alters your blade pitch?

nuttcaze 04-27-2008 12:15 AM

right stick u/d moves pitch, the swash goes up and down, not 100% sure about throttle, but I believe it's my left stick, its the one without the spring for up/down

does it matter that I'm using a AR6100e?

shizack 04-27-2008 12:44 AM

That's quite messed up. Could you go over, once more, which rx slot each individual servo and ESC is plugged into?

Also, are you using a "heli" program under model type, with swash type set to ccpm 120ยบ?

6100e should be fine - the channel assignments are the same.

nuttcaze 04-27-2008 12:51 AM

batter - empty
thro - esc
aile - aileron (left servo tail facing me)
elev - front servo
rudd - gyro (stock rate)
gear - empty
aux 1 - pitch (servo for right side of swash)

Belt CP - AR6100e, DX6i set to Heli, 120 degree swash

When viewing the monitor screen everything is as it should be, all sticks are right, Mode 2

the problem -
left stick - rudder (left/right works fine) BUT forward and back results in forward/backward cyclic????????,
Right stick - aileron works fine, BUT it has pitch controls on it??????????

any Ideas what I screwed up?? Did I mess up when binding , like have a switch flipped the wrong way? I tried re-binding it, no sucess

nuttcaze 04-27-2008 12:52 AM

hey all, just wanted to say thanks for your help in helping me with this problem, appreciate it much :D

shizack 04-27-2008 02:50 AM

Have you considered starting from scratch on this one? Copy the current program to an unused slot, then reset the current slot and start over.

I'm stumped.

nuttcaze 04-27-2008 08:31 AM

somehow managed to get it working right, woohoo :D

Rosebud6 04-27-2008 08:37 AM

Running DX7 and just upgraded tail servo to HS-65mg. Problem is it travels WAAAAY to far. From what i understand, If you adjust the travel on the rudder does that cap out how far it moves? I tried that and when I did get it to where it wouldnt try to push the blades off the tail (20%L and 25%R), it would react more like servo creep instead of a high speed servo. Anyone point me in the right direction?

10. Adjusting the RUDD endpoints, controls the piro rate not the servo throw. Remember that the servo receives a command signal rather than a proportional
signal. Adjust L and R piro rates so that you get the same piro rate turning left or right. IT is normal to exceed 100% for both values.

Different thread:
Travel Adjust - adjusts the full throw end points of the servo or how far it moves from center. And it can adjust each direction separately.

Now i'm confused.

ok, so how do you set the servo throw? I know, this should prob go under the DX7 thread.

xodarap1 04-27-2008 01:46 PM

Sure, I can help you Rosebud6. First thing to do is to set the Rudd in Travel Adjust to 100 and 100 (R and L). That travel adjustment doesn't control the throw of the servos (as you would think travel adjust would do), it controls the speed the servo moves.. in this case, R and L rudder.

Second step is adjusting the length of the tail servo push rod and using the correct holes on the servo arm. If you use holes too far out on the arm, the servo will over travel and will hit the limit on the tail box one way or both ways.
So, try using the second hole out from the servo output shaft screw for a starting point on the servo arm.
Once you have the push rod mounted there, when the servo arm is straight up (or down depending on how you have your servo mounted) adjust the servo on the boom so that the tail slider is in the middle of the tail shaft. Then tighten the servo on the boom.

Third, In rate mode, check the full travel range of movement of the tail slide. It should be pretty good. If not, you want to adjust the tail servo on the boom carefully in rate mode so that when your rudder trim is centered and your rudder control stick is centered, you have the tail slider in the middle of the tail shaft and when you move the rudder stick, the slider moves full range from one side to the other.. not hitting the ends of the tail box. If you get full range on the tail shaft (left and right) without hitting either side or bottoming out, that's perfect. If you don't get full range, move the tail push rod out another hole on the tail servo arm until you do get full range from the tail box. The important thing is to make sure that your left and right rudder extremes don't bottom out in the tail box.. this can damage the servo (lead to earlier than normal failure).

Once you have that all set perfectly, double check to make sure everything is tight and secure. From there its just a matter of fine trimming the rudder, or even moving the servo on the boom a slight bit if you want to make it exact so your trim is centered as long as it doesn't hit the tail slide limits.

The heli should work fine in HH mode after you get rate mode set properly like this. *Servo creep in HH mode is normal so don't worry about that.. it will work fine once it's in the air.

The final job is setting the Travel Adjust (L and R). You will most likely end up with a L setting that is a lower number than the R setting. The RUDD Travel Adjust will adjust the speed at which the heli will spin left or right (piro, yaw or whatever you want to call it lol). The heli naturally wants to spin to the left due to the main rotor torque so left Travel Adjust Rudder number will be less. With trial and error, you can adjust the yaw rate exaclty so it is the same in both directions. It is OK if any of your Travel Adjust numbers for RUDD are over 100.

Sorry for the long post, but that's it. I was going to try to give you the short version, but figured that might just confuse you more and you were already confused heheh.

I hope this was of some help to ya man. If you have any other questions about it, there are plenty of people here that would be happy to help ya or send me a pm and i'll do my best to dial it in with you.

Take care.

Steve

Rosebud6 04-27-2008 03:15 PM

Thanks, will give it a try. I had it in the lowest hole on the arm that came with it and it lines up to the 3rd hole on the stock. Looks like I'll have to ream one to get it as close as possible to the original.

Steve

xodarap1 04-27-2008 03:22 PM

I use the stock servos on my king2 and it's in the second hole on the arm of my tail servo. I've found that I don't even need the full range of travel and the yaw rate is plenty fast both ways. Getting a good center and running even 3/4 of the tail slider/box range should work fine.

Rosebud6 04-27-2008 03:55 PM

I hooked up my stock back up and realized that with HH finally working right that its probably good enough with that. I've just always heard that a faster more precise tail servo is better. I'll prob just hold onto the 65MG and start stocking parts for trex V2 or similar.

Thanks again.

Zimatosa 05-06-2008 05:07 PM

somehow managed to get it working right, woohoo :D

Can you please post how you got this to work?? I got my DX6i today and it has the same thing happening to it...Right stick up/down is adding blade pitch. Left stick up/down is elevator. Motor is working with left stick up/down as well....All plugs are correct. I re-checked, 5 times!! :)

Z

nuttcaze 05-06-2008 05:42 PM

I think I remembered, I believe the elevator servo was reversed, at least I think thats what it was