RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Esky Helicopters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/)
-   -   BIG LAMA (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/esky-helicopters-481/8216608-big-lama.html)

soloboss 12-05-2008 07:41 PM

BIG LAMA

So when is this coming and for how much. [link=http://Esky 4CH RC Helicopter - Big Lama (RTF)]Big Lama[/link]
Michael - what's up with this one?

stump3r 12-05-2008 09:07 PM

RE: BIG LAMA

[link=http://www.twf-sz.com/english/products.asp?prodid=0291]Big Lama[/link]

This is the ultimate learning helicopter right here! Rough and tough should be about the size of a Honey Bee Fixed Pitch.
I'm really curious to see what kind of flight time it's going to have running two 370 motors with an 11.1 800 mah lipo. Knowing those 370's as well as I do I think the immediate upgrade would be a couple of the Xtreme 370 motors. Next would be a little bigger Lipo to get some extra minutes of dive bombing the neighbors cat time!
I'll see if I can find out what the release date is supposed to be.

RMG2 12-06-2008 12:35 AM

Solo, though I won't do business with Xheli ever again, if ya want to take a chance with them Xheli claims to have it in stock.
http://www.xheli.com/esbicolarche.html

pgroom_68 12-06-2008 06:14 PM

If anyone does go for the plunge and buy one of these - could they tell us here how much lift they have? I have been itching to attach my camera[8D] to a CHEAP outdoor heli and this would seem the obvious choice! I hope it is more stable and less shaky in flight due to the two rotor design!:);):D[sm=72_72.gif] Well, it sounds good in theory anyway.[sm=shades_smile.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]

Peter

CaptainUante 12-23-2008 12:35 PM

I'm curious to find out about these as well. I've seen them for sale at several sites, but I'm until after the new year before I get one. I was able to find out from asking a vendor if "Xtreme" is going to make blades for this one like they do for the Lama V4 and they said "Yes they are going to, just don't know a release date yet".
Like you Peter, I want a easy to fly outdoor platform for a camara. I have a Falcon 3D, but that is too much Heli for the camera...I have a hard enough time just flying it, I wouldn't want to imagine trying to concentrate on getting good footage as well.

DumbDawg 12-23-2008 12:53 PM

Typical ESky tho to put crappy motors in it so that 'upgrades' are needed almost right away.... Can't say I'd buy one as its to much money for a co-axle heli... IMO

Not sure of the problem RMG you had with Xheli but they have come a LONG way... they have excellent service, fast shipping and great sales... The service used to be questionable but I'm sure there's been a staff change because its no where near like before... I've bought 3 EXI 450's and other stuff from them with very quick shipping, free on the EXI's. BTW.. they will be having another crazy sale, Boxing Day I believe where you might be able to get the Lama cheaper... The 'Black Friday Sale' I bought two more EXI 450's for $55.00 a piece with free shipping... can't get a better deal...

Also the Lama's are not great teachers... about the only thing the Lama is really good for in teaching is orientation... thats about it... DON'T think it will teach you stick movements because if you fly a collective heli like the EXI or K2 then the sticks will move very differently... It may be a stable platform for a camera for someone not interested in learning to fly but the EXI is a smooth stable platform too.. just takes a bit of fly'n skills and ur away...

Happy Holidaze

pgroom_68 12-23-2008 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: DumbDawg

Also the Lama's are not great teachers... about the only thing the Lama is really good for in teaching is orientation... thats about it... DON'T think it will teach you stick movements because if you fly a collective heli like the EXI or K2 then the sticks will move very differently... It may be a stable platform for a camera for someone not interested in learning to fly but the EXI is a smooth stable platform too.. just takes a bit of fly'n skills and ur away...

Dumbdawg,
I have my Xtreme motors ready to go into it:) (putting the cart before the horse?). I don't need this to teach me to fly, I already have two DF#4s & two #36s that daily try to do that!!;):):D
I couldn't honestly say that I can fly a FP or CP smoothly & precisely enough AND get good outdoor footage with a camera attached. [There I've said it] MAYBE I NEED MORE PRACTICE!! That is all I am thinking I would get one for. Just have to find someone that has bought one willing to type just how stable or otherwise...and how much lift it generates...then I would feel better about taking the plunge & ordering one (probably from Xheli at Boxing Day Sale time). So I know a little of what not to expect I hope!:D[sm=shades_smile.gif]

Peter
Happy holidays all![sm=49_49.gif]

MsDarla 12-26-2008 05:27 PM

I ordered one from xheli today,They said it was in stock. :eek:

DumbDawg 12-26-2008 06:08 PM

Looks like you be the one to tell everyone how it fly's and such... good luck.... haven't been to Xheli yet but I hope you got it on sale... guess where I'm off to now... lol... to the hospital.. ate to much.. lol

happy fly'n

pgroom_68 01-05-2009 02:01 AM

ORIGINAL: MsDarla

I ordered one from xheli today,They said it was in stock. :eek:
Well MsDarla,

How is it? I hear that Esky didn't release any spare parts with it, so you have to be extra careful for a while.[sm=shades_smile.gif] I WILL BE GETTING ONE FROM HONGKONG SOON - I tried from Xheli.com on Boxing Day (12/26), but immediately stopped the checkout process when I read they were going to charge US$77 for shipping to me in Australia![X(] Pity, it looks and sounds exactly what I am after for camera work. I will just have to wait and fly the six helis that are in my hanger already. [Two Lama4s, two Dauphins, two DF4s - the #36 that I have has been mothballed due to "big scary blades" and no large place to fly it]
ANYONE THAT HAS GOT ONE ALREADY PLEASE TYPE HOW IT HANDLES:D

Thanks

Peter

MsDarla 01-05-2009 09:36 AM

I can get parts no problem. :D

DumbDawg 01-05-2009 11:23 AM

MsD... how does it fly??? Is it worth the money spent... will it need upgrades??

Does this have the 270 super motors which are used in the King 2?? I think I remember somewhere say'n it did... which if it does means they will die shortly... They are junk... IF they are the same motors then I'd be shopping for replacements soon because these motors will last from 3 minutes to 3 weeks and any point between... Very few people have had them last longer than a month...

I wonder if it would be possible to go brushless with this heli...

happy fly'n

CaptainUante 01-05-2009 02:10 PM

I just ordered the BIG Lama last week from XHeli and it's supposed to get here (Arizona) tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it. I also worked on my Falcon 3D Helicopter (the one in my profile pic) and it's almost ready to go again, but like "pgroom 68" said, I'm hoping for a more stable and safe platform to film from with the BIG Lama. Also here's a link on youtube of a guy from Sweden who swears the new Heli is good outdoors in a breeze. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m_c3l3kqUI

DumbDawg 01-05-2009 02:51 PM

Getting a stable platform for camera's or vids... the bigger the heli the better but I really don't think it will be the Lama... IMO... it does have the 370 motors and these are a KNOWN problem motor... I'd be looking for a suitable brushed replacement asap because these motors fail quickly...

For a more stable platform a 450 - 600 sized heli would be best but of course you'd have to learn to fly one. The nice thing is that the bigger they are they easier they are to fly.... Less affected by wind and not prone to skittering around like small cp or fp heli's... like the K2's etc...

but... hope you will get what you are expecting... even better...

happy fly'n

Smartbuy101 01-05-2009 05:14 PM

Maybe I can answer a few questions. I've been flying the big Lama for about 3 weeks. It is more stable than my Lama 3 which I have been flying for 6 months. The flight time is as long if not longer than the Lama3 that has an upgraded battery. This is surprising with the extra weight of the heli and the dual motors. It handles more like a real heli in its flight patterns. As far as lift, I have mounted a 2.4 camera using a 9 volt on the Lama 3, but had to get stiffer blades and upgraded battery. Once done, no problem lifting. The Big Lama had no problem lifting as is; it did not handle as well, but was not that difficult to fly. I used double sided foam tape to mount the battery sideways and forward directly to the 11.1 volt battery.
I have the Eagle 50 six channel, and two lama 3, but enjoy the Big Lama the most. Its more fun to fly and takes the wind better.

pgroom_68 01-05-2009 05:18 PM

I can't wait for these to be available in this part of the world[sm=tongue_smile.gif] (shipping adds to much $ from U.S.A. to Australia). Yes, I already have more powerful Xtreme 380 bearing motors which have replaceable brushes [link=http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=695&osCsid=d cc9a20a71cdc8602290b6b72e90e9d8]from here[/link] ready to go...:)

DD,
I have learnt to fly bigger helis, but I can't for the life of me get good footage AND fly smoothly! Any tips apart from more practice???:D

Peter

pgroom_68 01-05-2009 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: MsDarla

I can get parts no problem. :D
Where from?[sm=confused.gif]
(I didn't think they released the parts yet)

Peter

MsDarla 01-05-2009 06:16 PM

http://www.helidirect.com/index.php?cPath=38_235_622 :eek:

DumbDawg 01-05-2009 06:22 PM

pgroom... tips??? besides practice... ummm... more practice I suppose... lol...

What kind of footage are you trying to get... In the end I think, correct me if I'm wrong, you want to be able to get a pilots eye view when ur fly'n... yes\no?? If yes then it comes down to sort of imagining you are in the cockpit of the heli... orientation visualization... phew!! say that a few times fast... Fly'n the heli comes almost second nature after you've trained your head and thumbs to do the right thing... the downside of the Lama is that it only really teaches you orientation at best... if you want to switch over to a larger heli later then you'll have to relearn the stick movements because the co-ax doesn't fly the same as the cp or fp's...

but... having said that not everyone wants to learn to fly to the same level as everyone else... for example I prefer scale fly'n over 3D... so I understand where you are coming from...

happy fly'n

Smartbuy101 01-05-2009 08:52 PM

Hi DD:
Well, my story for using a camera is a little different. My interests in getting an RC Heli began at work. There was an 120 ft chimney that I needed to get a birds eye view north 9 miles to see if there was line of sight to another tower. The choice was to rent an ariel lift for 2000.00 a day or figure something else out. IT was either float a weather ballon and look from the other side with my 140x binoculars or something I never thought of before. The heli with a camera was the answer. I could get on the roof of the building which brought me to within 80 ft of the top of the chimmney. I got the heli up about 60 ft over the roof, did a couple of 360 degree turns and this was enough to clear the tree line. Of course you can't see the 9 miles it was just to see if I could see past the first ridge which was less than 1 mile. We use long distance radios to send wireless broadband and you can't go through terrain. This turned out to be a great cheap solution. But now I like it as a hobby.

Your right about the 6 channel controls, I've had my Eagle 50 for 4 months and the most I have done is to bunny hop no more than 4 ft off the ground.

Have fun with you Heli

DumbDawg 01-05-2009 09:57 PM

Ok.. I get it now... ur installing broadban sites??? or just the relays??? Anyrate I completely understand the need now too... So are you going to be fly'n this by fly'n the heli while recording with pilots view or just watching a video after landing??? You can get systems that you have a visor and fly by it as opposed to watching the heli... That would be kewl... expensive but kewl...

anyrae... have fun with it

and happy fly'n

pgroom_68 01-06-2009 01:38 AM

Guys,
You may be interested that RCHelicopter.com will have these (and parts) available very soon in HongKong!;)

Peter

UPDATE RE. PARTS: "since ESKY factory is having holiday until Mid Feb, so...
please expect spare parts around late Feb."

DumbDawg 01-06-2009 11:54 AM

Do you know how far it is to paddle my canoe ALL the way over to HK!!! Just WAY to far for me... MsD you giving us the silent treatment??? Still wondering what you think of the BIG Lama....

happy fly'n

MsDarla 01-06-2009 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It flys pretty decent but kinda touchy.
Plenty of power.

DumbDawg 01-06-2009 02:21 PM

Is it worth the money you spent on it??? Whats your opinion on the quality of the overall heli... tight linkages, blades, etc... how do you mean touchy??? It comes with a 2.4 gHz Tx no??? Does it drop like the V3 when you start off into forward flight??? Does the Tx have the goofy ratchet too... Just curious...

happy fly'n