Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

Monster Planes Oct 8th 2010

Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Monster Planes Oct 8th 2010

Old 10-10-2010, 05:44 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Planes Oct 8th 2010

Did anyone go to this event? I wonder what you thought....
I'm sorry but I was kinda disappointed.....Don't get me wrong I saw some wonderful aircraft....Finally got to see Matt Hodges B-29 in person....there was an F4F Wildcat that had the best sounding engine prop combo I ever heard...And I have wrenched full scale recip engines before...I know the sound....
A B-17 that I would have died for...and a Waco with a custom paint job...WOW
Some good flying, no crashes Friday although an F8F Bearcat was on a steep approach and didn't pull up enough or in time and removed his retracts....

I thought it was expensive to get into....10 bucks a head so for me it was 40 bucks....a day....no break or discount for a second day....

Not enough vendors...there was only one food vendor...and a lemonaid stand...only 3 or 4 vendors for airplane "stuff"......

There was a chain link fence between the pilots and the spectators that is an improvement over the last time I went a couple of years ago....I like the new host city...Lakeland Fla seemed like a nicer place to have the event.

How can the event improve
More aircraft....
More vendors.....
Even at 10 bucks a head we would have come back for the second day if there would have been something different.....except for the B-29, B-17, and the Wildcat, it was pretty much the same thing......

I know it takes alot to put on an event like this....but it seemed smaller aircraft wise than it was a couple of years ago....

Anyway we cancelled our motel room and came home......

I thought maybe you folks would like a different opinion than you'll read in the magazine articles
Old 10-10-2010, 08:34 AM
eagledancer

Default RE: Monster Planes Oct 8th 2010

well i for one had a absolute blast!! yes vendor count was a bit low but you got to realize the economy is in the dumps also. and this is only its third year, i have been there all 3 years and always enjoy it. as the economy gets better (may have to wait till we get nobama out of office) it will get bigger as well as more of the people that have the larger planes will be able to afford to come. plus now that we HAVE an event that allows the larger birds it does take time to build them. and keep in mind with the way people are buying the barfs not many are building anymore so there are not many kits available, kudos to those few kit manufacturers still out there struggling. even with that in mind a lot of respect to those that still build!! if you didnt see what you wanted to see there build something to bring!!!
Old 10-10-2010, 03:07 PM
kk33629

I only went on saturday so my thoughts might be differnt since I am sure there where a few more things going on saturday then thursday and friday. I thought it was a good event, there could have been more but I guess there could have been less. I do want to give props to the rc universe photogapher that gave up his candy bar to my friends kid after he was not lucky enough to get candy during the kids candy drop its acts like that that keep this hobby a good one.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:28 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry you had a poor time, maybe "they" will see your post and make it better next time. Mac Hodges, not Matt....
Old 10-11-2010, 04:04 PM
jetmech05

I never said I had a poor time...just kinda disapointed......never have a poor time when there are RC'ers around.......
Like I said seemed smaller......figured after a couple of years there would have been more vendors....
I do like Lakeland better than the first city
Old 10-12-2010, 04:32 PM
kk33629

My only commet would be to run it Friday -Sunday, I think it would be easier on people that work.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:53 PM
jetmech05

the first year that I went it was a Friday, Sat, Sun deal...I went down on Sat...spent Sat night and went back on Sun....So many flyers left Sat night or very early Sun that they didn't even charge to get in.....