Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

Twin Cities Auction (Minnesota)

Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Twin Cities Auction (Minnesota)

Old 02-13-2012, 12:33 PM
dragonsm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Twin Cities Auction (Minnesota)

What time did the auction finally wrap up at? A few of us took off around 5:30 pm and it was still going.

First auction for me....scored two planes to add to the stable....

Lots of fun....learned a bit......gets to be a long day.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:53 PM
flyingt5150

My brothers and I had a great time at the auction! We sold stuff, and bid a lot of stuff, and my brother out bid me for a Sig Skybolt with a 91 four stroke.

The following day he got it going and flew it, here are a couple of pictures.

We look foward to next year.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18727.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1726561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56581.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	1726562  
Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 PM
vmsguy

I left around 6:30, I think. There were 7 or 8 airplanes left.

Each year is different. Fewer Piper Cubs, fewer unfinished kits, fewer big engines, fewer engines over-all, fewer tired and worn out trainers.

More "big" planes though. More electric planes and motors as well. And surprisingly, more old radios.

On the good side.. I didn't see as much line skipping. In years past, I'd see a guy go back into the back room, and bring a plane all the way up, past the on-deck table, and all the way to the stage. I don't recal that happening this year. I did see planes brought from the back room to the middle of the on-deck table. That's better, but still frustrating.

I'm thinking that maybe next year, they have a "buy it now" table. What is it? It's table where a member sits, with a list of items. Nothing sitting to look at. In the impound area, one or two tables are set aside for buy-it-now items. As a seller, when I check in, I can choose a selling price, and put it on the "Buy it Now" table. Then, anybody can buy it for that price at any time during the day. It never gets auctioned off. As a seller you take the risk of not selling it at all. As a buyer, I go up to the table, read the list of items and say "I want ____". They mark it sold. Then it becomes just like any item. I pay for it, I get it, I carry it out to my vehicle. I might put a $100.00 (or $50.00) limit on stuff. Ideally small stuff like small motors, radios, would be good candidates. These smaller items take just as long, if not longer to auction.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:58 PM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

I think they did do some skipping around on items.
I checked my items in around 7:00 AM at which time the staging rooms were mostly empty. All three of the planes I brought to sell were skipped over the entire day until they were finally sold between 5 & 5:30.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rtn,

I beg to differ. The impound area was not filled by first planes in, but rather where planes would fit on the tables. I was also there and checked in by shortly after 7, and I had 2 of my items sell withing the first 15 minutes. How they brought items up to auction off was pretty random. My last 2 items still hadn't sold when I left at 3:00.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was working at the auction, we try to mix around the stuff, it is not a perfect system, but we do the best that we can. We tried a lot more on keeping the preview table in order, I know that once in a while people will ask for us to bring their items forward, we sometimes do, and that sometimes will make a plane skip ahead. I also know that we tend to get tired and perhaps care a little less towards the end. I do like the idea of a separate table, not for the whole day, but maybe for a couple of hours. I think the club would perhaps use a committee to "allow" a price, so if you bring in an engine that sells on average for $80 on ebay but you are asking $120 we would maybe decline trying to sell it at the table.

Over all I think this auction had a higher level of stuff for sale and not much "junk".

Thanks for everyone attending and bringing some very nice stuff.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:14 PM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

I never said the impound area was filled in any order or by first planes checked in, I said the impound area was mostly empty when I checked my planes in meaning that 8 hours worth of planes that were sold prior to mine being sold were checked in after I checked mine in.
Having said that I had a very good time and thought the guys doing the auctioneering did a real nice job of keeping things moving the entire day.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:22 PM
jamierg16
My Feedback: (3)

i missed the auction but was hoping some of you guys took your non selling planes home soooooo is there anyone out there that has a 60 to 120 size extra edge or so on that you are wanting to sell i might be interested if so you can give me a call at
218-996-9159 my name is jim
Old 02-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold 8 planes at the auction and I understand the disappointment of having planes go up for sale late in the auction. Last year 3 of my planes were in the final 10. This year I had one in the final five. You would think as an auctioneer I would get a better deal?
The reality is that there will always be someone in the final 10.
The only way to make it better would be to restrict the number of items to finish the auction by 2:30.
What would you think of that?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Fly2XS

Duplicate post
Old 02-14-2012, 03:03 PM
vmsguy

I wouldn't agree to restrict the number of items. No matter if you make the cut-off 5:30, or 2:30, people are going to start leaving early.

I had a couple items wait for the late 10 or 20 as well.

While I think selling the $20.00 items is needed (one man's trash is another's treasure) I don't think the auction format is the best place for those lower priced items. From a manpower and time perspective, selling a $20.00 item (or nobid) costs just as much as a $1000.00 item.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:22 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe set up the "Box-O-Crap" items as a silent auction in the hall way
Old 02-14-2012, 03:24 PM
oconcj
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Guys

Planes taken up for auction are totally random. Just because you check in early doesn't mean it sells early, in fact we have no way of telling what was checked in first. Secondly, the preview table is just that, it doesn't mean that the items move from back to front. When you saw a plane brought out and set up front and then latter auctioned, it was because the planes don't fit on the tables, but what we did and most people probably didn't see, was when that plane was put up front, it wasn't auctioned right away, but a sheet of paper was put on the preview table representing that plane and it moved along the table until someone decided to pick that paper and then the plane was brought up. They try to mix the items up with a variety of things, so its not all small planes or just engines or radios etc. That way there will be something for everyone. We try are best and no matter what we do, someone will not be happy. I'm sorry about that. If you haven't worked an auction before try it once, its not that easy. We try to please everyone by doing the best we can.

Chris
Old 02-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Jeremymac

you guys did a great job!!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:31 PM
vmsguy

I remember the pieces of paper moving along...

That's a great idea.

For the very most part, I think the pace of the auction, and how things were moved along went much, much better than in years past.

I distinctly remember last year, one certain member, would go to the impound area, and bring a plane forward, it never touched the preview table, it never leaned against the back wall.. Nope.. all the way to the stage. I remember him doing that at least three times, maybe more. It was to the point where others in the audience noticed it as well. That was just simply wrong.

This year, I don't recall seeing anything that blantant happen. The worst that happened, that I remember was the front half of the preview table would be shifted forward, then somebody would bring a plane from impound and put it in the empty area in the middle. Thus, the items at the back half of the preview table waited a little longer. I only remember that happening two or three times. So that wasn't bad.. If that's the worst that happens, I can handle it.

I like Mike's idea of silent auction (SA). I could do that. My memory tells me that most of the minimum $20.00 items were old radios, box/bag of stuff, tools (scroll saws). If you put those on the SA table, that'd free up the auctioneers a bit. Make the SA end at 3:00. And away we go.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea, the more I think about that Silent Auction idea, the more I like it
Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 AM
gern80

Gentlemen,

This was my second year of attending your auction.  I'd like to take this time to say "thanks" to all that are responsible for putting on this  awesome production.  I can't imagine all the long hours that are given to make this work.  Each time I go I have felt like a kid in a candy store- too much stuff to look at/not enough time or money.  This auction is an awesome service to the R/C community!  Well done.

I only saw a couple people fall asleep!

See ya all next year!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 AM
us049902
My Feedback: (355)

I also think A JOB WELL DONE !!!! just keep it up
Old 02-17-2012, 10:20 AM
loopyrc

Had a great time once again.
Stayed to the end and picked up a great looking 40 size MOJO.
Thanks again to the TCRCers for the fun event.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:55 PM
ole

This was my first year there. I liked the whole experience, I think the auction part went real well. I enjoyed the experience, and will be back.

Your talk of a silent auction table is not something I think I would make use of. Because if it was something on there that I wanted and I bid on it, and ended up being the high bidder. and I had to leave before it ended. Then now you didn't get your money, and I didn't get my item. With the way you have it set up. I can leave about 20 min after I bought something. Your viewing table, and the video feed worked well.
I hope you made good money, because you were all working hard.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:15 AM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

I loved the video screen idea, I have been to the auction several times and will be present again.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
flyingt5150

Hi Everyone,

Well its that time of year again. Here is a picture of what I will be bringing to the auction. A fuselage only of a Sig Sun Dancer 50 ARF, The wings are missing do to an unfortunate incident.

Here also is you tube video link of the sundancer in its prime

thanks and see all at the auction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InWS2FaejVo
Old 01-03-2013, 03:20 PM
flyingt5150

Hi I forgot to attach the picture of the Sig Sundance 50 ARF.

Name:	Kh17787.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1836476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur51997.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1836477  
Old 01-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Willmsy

Well I am actually thinking about bringing something to sell this year...

55" 3D Hobby Shop Edge 540 (custom covering)
Scorpion S-4020-10 brushless outrunner
Castle Creations Ice Lite 75
Dimension Engineering Sport BEC
Xoar Prop
5S 5000mAh Lipo
5 x HS-225mg servos

Name:	Mk26157.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1840076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13534.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1840077  
Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 PM
Fly2XS

Nice looking plane!
It should do well!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.