Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

Twin Cities Auction (Minnesota)

Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Twin Cities Auction (Minnesota)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:57 PM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Twin Cities Auction (Minnesota)

I am bringing

bind and fly U-CAN-DO super Tiger .46 s3151 all around $600 into it
bind and fly PBY CATALINA 2 25A speed control 2 motors $500 into it
bind and fly Diablo DF 40 amp speed control $$$ into it

would I be better off parting them out?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess it all depends on what you want to get out of it and what type of buyers there are at the auction. Last year I bought an almost ready to fly 40 size Cherokee with a kb 40 in it for $40 or $60. but some planes will do much better. Every year it is different. no one knows what type of buyers there will be.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:17 PM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

I would not sell a $600 plane for $40 and I see it going to cost up $20 just to find out.

I was thinking .40 cents on the dollar
Old 02-10-2011, 07:21 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Well, that is the chance you take when selling items at an auction... The best way to think of it is to have a price in mind that you'd like to get for the item, and then be willing to buy it back if it doesn't hit that price. I have let some stuff go that should have brought (in my mind) more money, but I didn't really want to bring it back home. I wasn't going to fly that particular plane again, and to try to sell it online and ship it just gets way too expensive!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 PM
steve1313

This is going to be my first year at the auction. What time is a good time to get there? Can you look around at the planes before hand? Thanks!!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:30 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Steve, the doors opens at 8am. the auction starts at 9:30 and they give you about 20 minuted before it starts to browse the room
Old 02-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Vintauri
My Feedback: (25)

I'll be there mainly looking for something I can't live without. Not sure if I am bringing anything to sell as I've done so and cleared out stuff the past couple years. Looking forward to it though.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Minnreefer

One can also look at the planes that are "on deck" right before you bid on them.

One thing about the plane that I got, the plane new would only be $120? plus an older engine. With this hobby you will just about never get your money out, I think half is fairly good. I have seen some things go for new price or close to new price.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with Minnreefer- even in almost new shape, you can figure to pick something up for about half the price of "new in the box". The only time you'll do better is if there are two people that want the same thing really badly. That's when auctions can get FUN!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just remember, if you have an item up for bid and its not getting your price feel free to bid higher to see how interested the other parties are. They won't know if you are the seller or not. You can get a bidding war to happen just between you and the potential buyer as long as you remember if you go too high you may be taking it home and paying the buy-back price.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:15 AM
beau0090_99

Hey Steve,
Are you going to offer that Beta version of the 727 that you have been building for Zeke? :-) I have been wanting to get my hands on that kit for some time. I'll be helping at the auction, if you recognize my name, I'd love to meet you.
Regards,
Curtis
P.S. I'll be bringing a .60 sized scratch built (not by me) Fly Baby on floats; A Nexstar with engine, no servos, but with a HD video camera mounted on it; And finally an OS Max .40 FP with Pitts muffler.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:59 AM
vmsguy

Another tip..

Don't wait until the end of your auction to collect your purchases.

This is good for you. (you don't have to wait in line) and good for them. (they clear out stuff, less to move/look around)

I highly encourage everybody to do this. Buy the item, wait half an hour or so, then go pay for it, take it out to your vehicle.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:02 AM
vmsguy

Yet another thought/tip.

Those who sell things, always believe their items went too low. Those who buy things think they paid too much.

If you're bidding. DO NOT GET EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED TO THE ITEM. Figure out what you're going to pay for it, and stick to it. If you get emotionally attached, you'll bid and bid, and end up paying too much.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:21 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: vmsguy

If you're bidding. DO NOT GET EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED TO THE ITEM. Figure out what you're going to pay for it, and stick to it. If you get emotionally attached, you'll bid and bid, and end up paying too much.
That is one nice thing about me bidding through a proxy with Mike. This way I can't get caught up in the excitement of the bidding and wind up paying too much. Mike tells me what's there, Itell him what the max I'll pay is, and then he bids up to that amount and quits!!!!

Ken
Old 02-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Vintauri
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: beau0090_99

Hey Steve,
Are you going to offer that Beta version of the 727 that you have been building for Zeke? :-) I have been wanting to get my hands on that kit for some time. I'll be helping at the auction, if you recognize my name, I'd love to meet you.
Regards,
Curtis
P.S. I'll be bringing a .60 sized scratch built (not by me) Fly Baby on floats; A Nexstar with engine, no servos, but with a HD video camera mounted on it; And finally an OS Max .40 FP with Pitts muffler.
I wont be selling that one for a while but rumor has it I'll have one as a raffle prize at the WATTS electric fly in this summer!

I'll be one of the tall guys there so if you see me say hi.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:59 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DO NOT GET EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED TO THE ITEM. ~ If you get emotionally attached, you'll bid and bid, and end up paying too much.
Unless it's something *I* am selling. Then, bid all you want
Old 02-11-2011, 12:19 PM
beau0090_99

I understand the feeling of paying too much, or not getting enough for what i sold, but I tell ya, if you are in it to get something different and mix it up a bit, this event will not disappoint. I am always amazed at how much stuff sells and how cool things are. I can't wait.
C
And Steve, i assumed you wouldn't, but that would be great to see a kit raffled off. I'll keep my eye out for you if I can. I'll be doing a bit of auctioneering myself, so I should be up on stage from time to time.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:29 PM
vmsguy

This is going to be an interesting auction for me..

There really isn't anything "I just gotta have."

So I'm going to just play it by ear. See what happens.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:57 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

This is going to be an interesting auction for me..

There really isn't anything "I just gotta have."

So I'm going to just play it by ear. See what happens.

It's those kind of auctions and swap meets that usually get me in the most trouble!!!!

Ken
Old 02-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Minnreefer

last year was such a bad year for flying for me, I have a few needs, but I am also on a tight budget, (like many people) I want to get a couple of comfort airplanes like a tiger or 4* and or maybe a float plane of some sort. I am not sure how much I will be able to be there my wife is sick and 1 of my kids is sick, so I may be spending time taking care of them. I am hoping that I can get Dave E to bid on a few planes for me.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:04 PM
beau0090_99

Jon,
That is too bad. I hope they both feel better soon and you can swing down and join us. I think this will be a good buyer's auction.
Hope to see you all tomorrow,
C
Old 02-11-2011, 01:38 PM
vmsguy

ORIGINAL: Minnreefer

last year was such a bad year for flying for me, I have a few needs, but I am also on a tight budget, (like many people) I want to get a couple of comfort airplanes like a tiger or 4* and or maybe a float plane of some sort. I am not sure how much I will be able to be there my wife is sick and 1 of my kids is sick, so I may be spending time taking care of them. I am hoping that I can get Dave E to bid on a few planes for me.
I seem to remember your wife being sick last year at about this time. (Or was it the year before.)

I sure (wink, wink) there's absolutely no coincidence.

If it's like the previous years theres a few things we as buyers can count on. Several different piper cubs of different shapes and sizes. And dozens of high-wing trainers.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Scratchie

I've got a gasser.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15709.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1561848  
Old 02-11-2011, 02:12 PM
templeinmn

Never been to one of these actions. im going tomorrow. do you pay cash or check?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:26 PM
kochj

Yet another thought/tip.

Those who sell things, always believe their items went too low. Those who buy things think they paid too much.

I think it is the other way around, if you are the seller......

Most people have sold and purchased things on Ebay.....
Most items purchased out there are decided by emotion....If you don't get emotional about a purchse, it isn't worth buying....IMHO....
Since when has our hobby Practicle??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.