Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

Twin Cities Auction (Minnesota)

Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Twin Cities Auction (Minnesota)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Vintauri
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Twin Cities Auction (Minnesota)

ORIGINAL: templeinmn

Never been to one of these actions. im going tomorrow. do you pay cash or check?
They have taken both cash and checks the past few years and I have seen nothing to note otherwise for this year.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:16 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless it's Scott... Then it's cash only!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:26 PM
ama353
My Feedback: (6)

A couple more...

307S: Heavy Duty Starter with Field Box - this is an automobile starter with handles and amicro switch. Works beautifully for starting Alpina and similar engines!
307T: Alpina 2-cycle motor with Owner's Manual - 33cc or 38cc, suspect the latter

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79566.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	1561865   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45563.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1561866  
Old 02-11-2011, 03:30 PM
ama353

Andmore...

307U: Ryobi 31cc
307V: Zenoah2G380PU - 37.4cc

Dennis

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63637.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1561867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26734.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1561868  
Old 02-11-2011, 03:39 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

watch out for a big time scammer, 2 time convicted felon, named David Swchantz!!!!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 02-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: templeinmn

Never been to one of these actions. im going tomorrow. do you pay cash or check?
We accept cash or check.
We have only had one NSF check over the past 10 years. We sent the 'Boys' to teach him a dance and it never happened again.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:09 PM
ama353

Thanks Mike!

Dennis
Old 02-12-2011, 06:08 PM
wldhair
My Feedback: (2)

Just got back formthe Auction . Had a great time and ending up buying a couple of planes .
I had one concern and I'm not sure anything could or even should be done about it , so I'll just kinda lay it out there and see what kinda feed back it creates

I noticed I was getting out bid on ALOT of items buy the owners of local hobby shops , who basically have a bottomless checkbook . I'm not sure thats really fair and seeing as how they are set up at the auction and selling their products to the same people they are out bidding and you know they're just going to take the item back to their shop and re sell it .

I know their money is just as good as anyone elses -but it just doesn't seem right or fair to the rest of the bidders . PLease don't view this as a complaint more like an observation.

I had a great time and plan on attending next year . Great event and very well run

Tom

Old 02-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Vintauri
My Feedback: (25)

I know what you mean. I dont' think it's the clubs fault at all. I do think it's tacky and leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths that get outbid by him. Still like you said it's a great event.

I bought a couple of the estate builders boxes. Well worth the money for the grab box of parts. Lots fo dubro, robart and sullivan hardware plus a basically brand new heat gun and other goodies.

There were some great deals had this year and I look forward to seeing the planes out at the flying fields this summer.

ORIGINAL: wldhair

Just got back formthe Auction . Had a great time and ending up buying a couple of planes .
I had one concern and I'm not sure anything could or even should be done about it , so I'll just kinda lay it out there and see what kinda feed back it creates

I noticed I was getting out bid on ALOT of items buy the owners of local hobby shops , who basically have a bottomless checkbook . I'm not sure thats really fair and seeing as how they are set up at the auction and selling their products to the same people they are out bidding and you know they're just going to take the item back to their shop and re sell it .

I know their money is just as good as anyone elses -but it just doesn't seem right or fair to the rest of the bidders . PLease don't view this as a complaint more like an observation.

I had a great time and plan on attending next year . Great event and very well run

Tom

Old 02-12-2011, 07:19 PM
vmsguy

I had a good time at the auction. For somebody not looking for anything in particular, I came home with:

1: Twinstar (bought for $200.00, the took the motors out and resold them on sight for $140.00)
2: 4-star-40 ARF (no motor)
3: 40 size Beachcraft staggerwing, partially completed kit
4: Two (2) GP 40 Sport Bipes. (Ken was bidding through Mike, I told Mike had Ken been there in person, I wouldn't have bid against him)

And I sold a 60 Sport ARF (name unknown) for about $50.00.

I'm looking forward to the Staggerwing.. That'll be a fun challenge.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:31 PM
paint-boy

I was at the auction and also had a good time as usual there. I did also find it "odd" (like you, I can't decide if it was a good / bad thing) for the hobby shop owner / owners to bid on items while they are there selling as well. On the other hand, I figured if they are bidding on an item, then obviously that item is going for a good price considering they have to take it back to the hobby shop and re-sell it for a profit yet. Short story: If they quit bidding and everyone else kept raising the bids, I figured the price for that item was getting higher than it's "true value" (though if I want something, the price really doesn't matter, as long as I'm happy with it. Of course within reason, and if my wife doesn't know!)

I'll certainly be going again next year as well

ORIGINAL: wldhair

Tom

Old 02-12-2011, 07:43 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: vmsguy

4: Two (2) GP 40 Sport Bipes. (Ken was bidding through Mike, I told Mike had Ken been there in person, I wouldn't have bid against him)

Yeah, Mike said that you got that one. Iwas trying to get him to raise the bid but it sold before he could say anything. If you decide you don't want one of those let me know. I've always wanted one of those bipes.

We were trying to me to come up there but had some crossed signals. I was originally supposed to be in Champaign this weekend to cover E-Fest but because of a couple of crosses signals Ididn't get to go. But by the time Ifound out Iwasn't going it was too late for me to try and come up for the auction!!! Maybe next yearI'll see if Ican get up there.

Ken
Old 02-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About the only thing that I heard about the store owner is he was bidding on his own things that he brought for sale, s I think he was trying to get the bid up or set his own reseerve price. I do not know that for sure.

I had a good time and got a venture 60.

Jon
Old 02-12-2011, 08:01 PM
paint-boy

Certainly nothing wrong with doing that. I suspect many sellers would do that if their items are going too low (in their mind), worst case scenario: The seller turns into the buyer and has to pay the 10% commision

ORIGINAL: Minnreefer

About the only thing that I heard about the store owner is he was bidding on his own things that he brought for sale, s I think he was trying to get the bid up or set his own reseerve price. I do not know that for sure.

I had a good time and got a venture 60.

Jon
Old 02-13-2011, 05:57 AM
Insanemoondoggie

I got 2 doughnuts 4 hot dogs and 2 sodas. Had a great time hanging out with everyone. Oh yeah, TopFlight P-47 .60 Gold edtion. Sorry Ken.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:41 AM
MinnFlyer

I had a blast. While Toledo is the official open of the flying season, this auction is the pre-game show!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:46 AM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

I also had a great time, and Minnflyer and I went out for a fabulous dinner afterwards! I sold a bunch of stuff, but bought nothing. There were a few things I liked, but nothing went for what I wanted to pay.

About part-way through the auction I had to make a run to the closest hobby shop for some items to complete a couple of review planes I am working on, and I bought a REAL LiPo charger as well. Until now, I've been getting by with the chargers the manufacturers have supplied with the Ready to Fly planes. Now I'm really ready to charge batteries!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:42 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought an airplane at the auction. The person that was acting as the auctioneer said it has a motor and all the servos. I won the bidding and when I paid for it, I found out that the motor was block of RUST. It is so solid from the rust, it is trash. And the servos are 30 years old. It would be nice to be able to examine the planes before the bidding starts. The walk thru with the crowd at the start of the auction is the only time to look at the items. You get what you pay for. I will NOT be going back.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:49 PM
loopyrc

Hi all,

I also had good time at auction and will go back next year.

Oneof my friends picked up a fixer upper and looking for some info. It was seller (item 343H) and on the tag it says 120 4 dash planes. Needs 1.20 engine lost canapy then some stuff on how well it flys on floats. If anyone knows any info and where the kit may come from, we will continue to look online.

Thanks

By the way I picked up a great goldberg ultimate Bipe with a O.S. 91 it ran great today on the start stand.

Thanks again to TCRC for a great day.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:53 PM
advanceandy
My Feedback: (116)

as with any auction all items are where is as is.... there are good sellers and bad ones, with that in mind befor I buy anything I always visit the preveiw table
Old 02-13-2011, 02:01 PM
ama353

Jeff, I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience. And I suspect you're in the minority. I look forward to the auctionevery year from the standpoint of a seller, a buyer, and as a social event. It's often the one time a year I see certain friends.

And I take exception to your comments. Every item comes up from theleft side as you face the auctioneer. Every plane is placed on the table or along the wall, where you're given an opportunity to examine it "up close and personal". If you fail to take advantage of that opportunity, please don't blame theauctioneer. There is even acamera focused on the preview table, with the image displayed on a large screen.

The guys whoserve as auctioneers are all club members, not professional auctioneers, and they're expected to give you the item #, description, and then auction the item off in less than a minute. They are all flyers themselves, and have absolutely nothing to gain by sticking it to a fellow modeler.I think they do a terrific job!

Please take somepersonal responsibility for making an uninformed purchase. The opportunity to do otherwise was amply provided.

Dennis

PS: I acquired a total of 8 engines at the auction. They are all in bettercondition than I expected, based on (1) a quick glance, and (2) some experience with engines.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 PM
vmsguy

ORIGINAL: ama353

And I take exception to your comments. Every item comes up from the left side as you face the auctioneer. Every plane is placed on the table or along the wall, where you're given an opportunity to examine it ''up close and personal''. If you fail to take advantage of that opportunity, please don't blame the auctioneer. There is even a camera focused on the preview table, with the image displayed on a large screen.

Dennis
Well, yes and no.

I saw personally, at least 5 different occasions where a plane was brought from the back room, carried past the preview table, and carried to stage for auction. It never stopped to sit on the preview table. It never had a chance to be looked at "up close and personal" and it was sold only a few minutes later. There were several more occasions where a plane was sitting along the very back wall (where bidders can only look at the plane from 20 feet away) and carried past the preview table and onto the stage.

That's just not right.

Now, I totally understand that these guys are club members, not professional auctioneers/crew. And they're volunteering their time, and they're doing it for the good of the club, and all that. But it's not hard to follow such simple procedures.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:38 PM
kochj

I slept in, so I didn't attend this year....
I also didn't get the feeling that many of the attendee's wanted to spend more that 100$ on a plane....
A 800$ 85cc aerobatic plane NIB would most likely be purchased by the Hobby store guys for around 300-400$
I would then say Thank goodness they bid on it....And the other joe shmo there wouldn't understand the value in it....and think
"boy did they overpay"

I could be way off....Like I said, I have not been to one of these before...
What did the Aeroworks Cesna go for (the one from the review, with the saito 180 in it)
What was the Highest bid??? What was it on?
What was the 2nd Highest bid???

Old 02-14-2011, 04:16 AM
Insanemoondoggie

I saw a Ohio models 3D plane, assembled but bare of anythinggo for $610.00 , new in the box, I can buy them all day long for $249.00.So itdoes swing both ways.
Lots more electric stuff and. seemes the gliders were really the hot items and brought high prices, must be the cost of glow fuel being so high.
The kit I bought was missingthe instruction manual but I was aware of that,because of being able to look it over on the table before bidding on it.. Items like that ,you always have time to look at as theydon't get brought forward as fast.Paid $130.00 for it. which I thnk was a fair price for seller and buyer.If it had been another TF kit, I would not have bid on it. What I'm trying to point out is, to get top dollar for an item at an auction, youneed 2 ormore bidders that really want the item to bring top dollar.
TCRC club does a very nice job of handling the auction, good bunch to hangout with. They are handling a huge amount of stuff and have to be out of the church early enough to have evening servicesAre they perfect, no, but what is? After being stuck in the grips of winter so long, the auction has become more of a flying buddy reunion for a lot of us. An if it wasn't for the auction, I never go to church. lol!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:32 AM
MinnFlyer

The Aeroworks Cessna went for $385. The owner was satisfied with that. Had he not been, he could have bid it higher and bought it back.

The auction is not for selling your stuff to rake in some cash. It is for clearing you basement of stuff you don't need and/or to fill it with new stuff you do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.