Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

Twin Cities Auction (Minnesota)

Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Twin Cities Auction (Minnesota)

Old 02-10-2013, 05:47 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Twin Cities Auction (Minnesota)

I think it went as well or better than any of the past auctions. I think the only complaint I had was that you had one person/auctioneer selling things at $5 jumps. That took a long time to sell some items. But he did better than I could have done so no harm done really.

Loopyrc, we missed each other again. I guess the Wahpeton stories will have to wait till next year.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:03 PM
midnightsabotage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Willmsy

I have a suggestion for you because of an incident while picking up a plane that I bought back. On your website it says that you can buy back your item for 10% of the bid price up to a max of $20 if it doesn't sell for the price you would like and you are the highest bidder. When I went to buy back my item for $20 I was told I had to pay the full bid price and then you (the club) would send me a check for $20 less my bid. This is NOT stated on any documentation on your website or literature at the auction. I was able to pick up my item by paying the $20 in cash because I didn't have the full bid price on me. This left me somewhat disappointed with the whole selling process and I will probably not sell any more items at your auction.

Sincerely,

Willmsy
100% AGREEDhere. I had NO idea that you were required to pay the full bid price in cash for a buyback. Had Ibought back an expensive plane, since Ididn't know, this would have ended my day immediately.

I'm very happy that Ilet an item or 2 go for less than I told myself Iwould. It would have sucked a bit if Ihad to pay the bid price and then had less money for real bids.

My friend with the Deuces Wild had to buy the plane back for $300 and was NOT prepared for that. He and I both figured with the current documentation for the buyback procedure, that he would simply hand over $20, get the transaction crossed out on the buyer/seller sheets, and be on his way. I'm not really sure the reasons behind why this is not a possibility - but I feel like TCRCis shooting itself in the foot here. Why deal with the extra cash?

My friend was lucky and talked to the 2nd highest bidder since they knew eachother. He agreed to buy it for the $300 high bid right then and there, and so my friend still had that money. He later used that money ot buy 2 other planes. He could not have done so if things didn't work out in his favor and TCRCwould have lost out on some extra commission on a couple planes just in this one case.

I wonder how many people lose their whole spendable bankroll if they need to buy back 1 or 2 expensive planes and then end up done bidding for the day because of the way this is handled?
Or, how many people that don't know the rule (since it isn't clear at all) end up not being able to cover the costs at all to buy back their own plane. And THEN what happens? Do they forfeit their plane?? & get no money??

What about the people that only come to the auction to sell planes - perhaps they need money and have no intentions of bidding? They couldn't possibly be prepared to buyback a really expensive plane if it doesn't get enough bids for the seller to justify letting it go. Odds are they only brought enoug hto cover $20 max buyback price per plane.

The rule atleast NEEDS to be written out in a crystal clear manner for these reasons, but Iwould encourage the club to talk about the reasoning behind why it's done this way and encourage you to discuss how it could be handled differently in the following years.

Aside from that, this was once again a wonderful event, and Ihad an absolute blast! Everything went very smooth and at a great pace. I didn't mind the $5 one bit. Seems like those actually went quicker than the ones that jumped $20 or $25 because buyers have a lot more to contemplate with the bigger increments. It was easier for me to justify and extra bid or 2, that's for sure.

You guys did a spectacular job! Thank you all so much for your hard work, it's very much appreciated

I only ended snagging 2 built planes and one ARF this year, seemed like every plane Ihad an interest in went for a few bids more than I could justify. So I'm sure there are plenty of happy sellers out there this year. Last year seemed like much more of a buyer's market & things went cheaper.
But the planes Igot I can't wait to go fly. Again, had an awesome time, and you guys certainly deliver a wonderful event year in and year out - this year was no exception!
Thank you very much!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM
midnightsabotage

I have a suggestion for you because of an incident while picking up a plane that I bought back. On your website it says that you can buy back your item for 10% of the bid price up to a max of $20 if it doesn't sell for the price you would like and you are the highest bidder. When I went to buy back my item for $20 I was told I had to pay the full bid price and then you (the club) would send me a check for $20 less my bid. This is NOT stated on any documentation on your website or literature at the auction. I was able to pick up my item by paying the $20 in cash because I didn't have the full bid price on me. This left me somewhat disappointed with the whole selling process and I will probably not sell any more items at your auction.

Sincerely,

Willmsy
If you don't mind my asking, what happened in this case? You say that you were unable to buy it back, or you were able to?
I helped to get it up as far as it did! I'm sorry it wasn't enough, Idefinitely tried :/

Old 02-11-2013, 04:55 AM
Willmsy

ORIGINAL: midnightsabotage

Sincerely,

Willmsy
If you don't mind my asking, what happened in this case? You say that you were unable to buy it back, or you were able to?
I helped to get it up as far as it did! I'm sorry it wasn't enough, I definitely tried :/

I was able to get my airplane. I didn't have any extra money on me and explained this to the gentleman at the table. I also explained that they didn't say anything about full buyback price on their literature.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 AM
exocet-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We will clarify that rule on the website for next year's auction so as to avoid this inconvenience to you in the future.

Tim
Old 02-11-2013, 02:29 PM
midnightsabotage

I was able to get my airplane. I didn't have any extra money on me and explained this to the gentleman at the table. I also explained that they didn't say anything about full buyback price on their literature.
Oh, that's great to hear. I wish they had done that for my friend. But it all worked out in the end.
Thaks so much TCRC for looking into getting this written more clearly. I'm sure many people will appreciate it.

Happy flying everyone!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 PM
kochj

I ended up not attending..
I didn't want to have wait all day (possibly) so I could baby sit my plane when it came up for sale.
I haven't ever attended a rc auction or swapmeet. To many unknowns.
I am not knocking the auction, I just felt it was too much time to invest in something that could be done with less time on the internet.

It would have been dif if I wanted to purchase something, but I have solo many planes and radios, it wouldn't happen.

Any Moki or Valach facials or large gasoline 4 strokes up for auction?
Or any large AMR kits/planes or 50% biplanes, or cubs make it up on the stage?

I figured after doing this auction for33 years it would be run smoothly, and it sounds like it was just that..
I will have to get ADHD under wraps so I can sit there for the entire auction next year!

Old 02-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only been in the hobby for five or so years, so some things are still new to me, I enjoy looking at everything and talking to people about the different items. There is always a few larger items, I am not sure about 50% but I know that there was a 1/3? Scale cub with floats that sold and several larger engines. The items are a good representation of the hobby in general, a fairly large percent were electric planes and or foam planes, a chunk of sport planes and only a few more speciality items (sad world) like kits and unique items. I would encourage you to check it out next year.

Jon
Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 AM
tawney

How many airplanes were there? must have been in the hundreds.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Minnreefer

The last auction (2012) had 299 planes, and a total number of 463 items, I think this year we had close to the same, maybe a few less items. I think this year was a better year for sellers, some years there are great deals, this year, there was many many good deals, but not too many great deals.

Jon
Old 01-03-2014, 07:44 AM
loopyrc

OK, I got my rooms booked for Friday night and my seller number.
One month and the auction will be here. So lets see some planes and stuff.
I bringing down a ultra sport 60 and a OS 70 4 stroke. May have some other items as well just need to look to see what I could part with.
I'll post some pics as soon as I find the camera, wife had it last.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:23 AM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my seller's number and I'm getting my goodies ready to sell!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:56 PM
G.Barber

Like Scotty, I too have my seller's number and am getting stuff ready for the auction. I can't wait to see my auction buddies again!
Old 01-14-2014, 03:03 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Got my sellers number. i am thinking of letting this go. All framed up, but not covered.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bones.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	609.2 KB
ID:	1957741  
Old 01-22-2014, 11:01 PM
midnightsabotage

Got my seller # as well!
I actually don't know if I have much to part with this year though, sadly.

Guess I'll just have to be sure to find a plane or 2 to add to my collection this year instead to make the event worth the drive

Anyone ready to post some previews??
Old 01-26-2014, 07:53 PM
StAndBl

Interested to see what will be at the auction. This will be my first year attending, so i'm pretty pumped.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:24 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here we GO!!
Like the folks above, I've got my seller ID and getting the ol' BUS ready to go.
jeffEE, I'm hungrily eyeing that triplane...
I'm bringing this among others:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0048.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	1963142  
Old 01-29-2014, 08:17 PM
StAndBl

Originally Posted by AMA 74894
I'm bringing this among others:

Details? I like this!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:19 AM
AMA 74894

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's a CMPro Marathon 24 ... claimed to be a 26cc sized airplane (71" wingspan)
I dropped a DLE 30 in it and it's a VERY nice fully 3D capable airplane...
the graphics on it are pretty doggone nice too
I've developed a fondness for the 30CC size... but am rapidly running out of room, so this one needs to find a new home
Old 01-30-2014, 04:22 PM
loopyrc

Looks very nice Jim, should fetch some good hand raising.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:13 PM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

I'm selling:
Pilatus PC-9 bind and fly with spektrum
Great planes Little Toni bind and fly with spektrum
Old 02-02-2014, 06:17 PM
hobby_man
My Feedback: (8)

and buying
Old 02-02-2014, 07:09 PM
StAndBl

Any other sellers want to post up what they're bringing? Looking to buy multiple airframes!
Old 02-02-2014, 07:28 PM
G.Barber

Anything, in particular, that you're looking for?
Old 02-02-2014, 07:38 PM
StAndBl

Looking mainly for an Extra, Edge, and/or Ultimate. I may possibly entertain the idea of a p-47. 30cc and up

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.