Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

Oklahoma Dust Bowl Fly In for MS presented by HobbyKing.com, Sept. 16 & 17

Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Oklahoma Dust Bowl Fly In for MS presented by HobbyKing.com, Sept. 16 & 17

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 06:36 PM
westlya
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oklahoma Dust Bowl Fly In for MS presented by HobbyKing.com, Sept. 16 & 17

For those who might want to camp but not at the airport.  There is a lake here in Wewoka that is nice.  Lots of shade.  A boat ramp and you can swim in the lake,  They have water and power hook ups too.
Just an option.  And it would give members of the family who do not want to be at the airport all the time a nice family place to be.
Wes
Old 08-11-2011, 08:16 AM
westlya

Default RE: Oklahoma Dust Bowl Fly In for MS presented by HobbyKing.com, Sept. 16 & 17

I just got a great smelling box of laser cut wood from Zaerotech.

The laser cutting looks incredible. It took all I had to keep from reaching for some ca..............

What is in there you say? Well there is at least this in there.
Take a look at the video!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:51 AM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope to have my HET Me-163 and Me-262 airworthy by the show. If not, the F-104 and T-28 will fly. The YA F-15 Twin will be wanting to burn some Jet A fuel as well.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:54 AM
westlya

Sounds great!  And even that planes that are not flight ready would still be interesting for people to see in progress too.
Wes
Old 08-13-2011, 02:31 PM
westlya

Meeting.
<hr style="color: rgb(167, 167, 167); background-color: rgb(167, 167, 167);" size="1"/>
The meeting was a great success! The Jet demo was awesome. Beautiful plane and very impressive flying. Did some slow and fast passes and even dropped some nerf bombs! Also made smoke. One pass I know was over 160 mph!

The indoor demo for the school in Justice also went well. And we will have the use of it from 6pm to 9 pm.

More detail will follow.

Wes
Old 08-15-2011, 04:56 AM
westlya

This was posted by Brett on WF. He did such a good job with the post I am pasting it here as well.
Thanks Brett!

Meeting went great, turbine demo was awesome, indoor venue is great.

Ok guys, here is how the event is schedualed at this time. Every thing is subject to change as needed.

Camping on the field is OK Friday, and Saturday. No open flames. If you have a genorator, bring it. Electricity from the building will be used for the vendors, and sound system. Adult beverages are OK, but only after your done flying for the night, and keep it within reason, don't let it get out of hand.

Friday, and Sunday will be open flying, and night flying on Friday.
Saturday will be the main day. All raffles will be given out on Saturday.

9am Pilots meeting, welcome, and acknowledgements by Wes, Safty procedures by Larry, and Schedual of events by me.

9:45 Kick off the event with flights by a few of our Turbine jets
10:00-12:00 Open flying.
12:00-12:45 Demo's by the Turbine Jets
12:45-1:15 Demo's by the Helicopters
1:15-2:00 Demo's by the Big 3D Planes
2:00-4:00 Open flying
4:00-4:30 Demo's by the Turbine Jets
4:30-5:00 Demo's by the Helicopters
5:00-5:30 Demo's by the Big 3D Planes
5:30-12 Midnight Open flying, and Night flying
5:45 Caravan leaves for the indoor flying at a school gym about 8 miles away. Those who choose not to fly indoor, it's just open flying.
9:15 leave the indoor flying, and back to the field for some night flying.
We will stop all flying at midnight. Some people my be trying to sleep.

Special notes: 1) any one pilot, or group of pilots who want a 10-15 minute of open air space to fly unubstructed durring open flying times,(ie. Turbine jets, Helicopters, 3D, combat, war birds) should notify Wes, or Brett, 30 minutes prior to the time you want to fly. We will make a window for you to fly. Be ready when called.
2) All pilots will have a spoter next to them on the flight line when flying
3) If you are ask to land at any time, you will land as soon as safely possible. This is still a working airport, but we don't expect more than a handful of planes all weekend.
4) All pilots will be given a wrist band that must be worn. This is to prove proof of registration, and payment of landing fee. We had more than a few pilots who did not pay last year. This is a fund raiser for MS, so we need this $10 landing fee, and all of the raffle tickets you can buy.
5) Raffle tickets can be purchased all day, untill the last item is gone.
6) for those pilots with large planes that have to have trailers to haul them, you will be allowed to park on the flight line in a designated spot. we have room for about twenty trailers. All other pilots will need to unload thier planes, and have all vehicles off the flight line, by 9:45am. Pop-up type shades are OK. Please share your shade with those who do not have thier own.

That's it, it's going to be a great event.
If there are any questions, please ask.

Thank you for your support of the ODB event, and MS!
Brett
Old 08-21-2011, 07:08 AM
westlya

Ok we need to get an idea of how many plan on coming.
So if you are coming.  Or at least going to try and come please post here. 
I am going to post this on all three sites.  Please only post on one.
It will be on RCG, WF and RCU.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:51 PM
westlya

Thanks to Bretts hard work and the generosity of Hobby Town in Tulsa I was able to pick up their donation today.
The Hobby Town at 7166 South Memorial donated 3 gift certificates each worth $30.00 of in stock merchandise!
Thanks Hobby Town!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:17 PM
surferdude3d

At least 3 pilots from the Unclub are going to put lights on their F&F combat planes for a little night combat. This should be a hoot. All are welcome to join us.

Sad note, Enrique Perez, the hot dog helicopter pilot from Tulsa may have to work and miss the event. If any of you know of any really good 3D helicopter pilots that could fill in for the noon time demo, make sure they come.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:16 PM
westlya

Civil Air Patrol
<hr style="color: rgb(167, 167, 167); background-color: rgb(167, 167, 167);" size="1"/>
I just got off the phone with the phone with the C.A.P. They are excited to come and help.
I have a couple of ideas to mention. I want to be sure that we show the Cadets who come to help a good time and show them we appreciate their help.

To that end. I would like to make sure that any of them that express interest in the hobby get some stick time on the buddy box.
Also the Commander of the unit asked about food and drinks for them. if they would be provided for them.
We do not have that in the budget at the moment.
Would any of the pilots be willing to take a cadet sort of under their wing. Get them comfortable and if they are interested in the hobby contact the instructor about getting them stick time. They may be timid about asking for them selves. Also maybe buy them lunch?

I know that is all a lot to ask. But these kids are here to help and get no pay or compensation for it.
Thoughts?
Wes
Old 09-04-2011, 06:26 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll have the trainer and the buddy box there. We could just schedule each one of them throughout the day.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:21 PM
westlya

We could talk about in the morning before the event starts.  That was we can work them in with out causing conflicts.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:20 AM
westlya

Field Condition
I met with Steve D. a little while ago. We used Tom's layout to figure where all needs mowed and cleaned up.
I won't go into all the details now. But the field is going to be in GREAT shape for the fly in!
Steve is really going all out this year to get the airport ready.

Wes
Old 09-07-2011, 04:59 AM
surferdude3d

I will be going out to Glue Dobbers, and Turf Flyers Clubs this weekend to remind them again about the Dust Bowl event. Our Turbine demo is coming from Turf flyers, and our Heli demo was going to be from Glue Dobbers, and there have been email sent to both clubs, and flyers have been up in their club houses for 3 months, so they should all be aware of the event.
I went to Glue Dobbers last Saturday at 11am after leaving the Unclub to see if I could find another Heli Demo pilot(87deg, wind less than 10mph), but there was only 3 people at the club. When I left the Unclub there was 23 pilots there.
See, this is what happens when you have yearly club fees of $80, and AMA of $50, plus all the political crap that goes on, when all people really want to do is fly.
Thank you Unclub pilots for making the Unclub the best R/C club in Oklahoma even if we are not really an official club!
I should have better luck this weekend at Glue Dobbers, they are having their War bird fly in. They might actually get 20 pilots.
Please contact, and remind your local clubs about the Dust Bowl in a few weeks.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:42 PM
westlya

The mowing and field prep has commenced at the airport.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:12 AM
westlya

Bob Smith Industries
I just received a box from BSI with a selection of their products.

Thanks BSI!
Be sure to check out their site. I included a link.
Wes
Old 09-14-2011, 04:57 AM
westlya

I am posting this at the airport from the lobby. I wanted to be sure I could get online ok before the fly in starts.

I will be here at the airport at least part of each day until the fly in starts. Then will do my best to be here all day and into the evening.
Wes
Old 09-14-2011, 01:35 PM
westlya

For those coming via full size aircraft....
Fuel IS available at the airport now.
They can take cash and checks. No credit cards at this time. But they are working on that for the future.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:12 PM
surferdude3d

I've found another Helicopter Demo pilot. Wilson Miller. I think he's a senior in high school here in Jenks. He sent me a video of his flying skills. All I have to say is WOW! This kid is amazing.
He practices with Jamie Robertson, Jamie just happens to be the #1 pilot in the world, so it's no wonder Wilson is so good. Wilson was going to check to see if Jamie could make it, but I think he has other commitments. Maybe we can get Jamie next year.
It would be great if we could get dozen or so Heli pilots. The Dust Bowl has never had many, if any helicopter pilots. It should be a great show for the public.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:19 AM
westlya

Loading stuff up to take over to the airport now. Hope to make it a little easier then waiting till the last minute!

On the weather. We will have the fly in no matter what. But the weather forecasts you see online and on tv are based in OKC and Tulsa, The weather can be a lot different then what the call for.
And this summer most of the time when they got the rain they predicted we got not a drop!
So do not let the forecast keep you from attending!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:31 AM
westlya

Just got a message from Don at hobbyking.com he is arriving tonight and we are meeting up in the morning.

Wes
Old 09-15-2011, 06:40 PM
westlya

Well 4 pick up trips later all the prizes we have so far are at the airport now!
Old 09-16-2011, 04:07 PM
westlya

first day
Well at times the weather has been less then perfect. BUT there has been a lot of flying going on...
Big Stuka with sirens scaring the daylights out of the peasants...

Some really big models... Pictures later... And tomorrow is going to be great!
If you are on the fence don't be. Get down here!
Jet turbine flying tomorrow. a 1/2 scale Cub....

Wow and the mountain of prizes!
Old 09-19-2011, 06:13 AM
westlya

First I want to apologize for not posting sooner. I am more then a little out of sorts still from the fly in. As I am sure everyone can understand it takes a lot out of all who work and help with the fly in.

I want to thank those same people. With out you it would not have happened!
There are too many for my feeble memory to recall. But just some of the invaluable help included (in not certain order) Brett ( Surfer_Dude), Larry ( warningshot) Tom (majortominski) David (rcphotog), Angi and Kayleigh and of course Don from Hobby King.

There are many many more that are important to the event whose names escape me at the moment.

I want to thank hobbyking.com for all their generous donations. And also all the other sponsors and donors. Some of them private individuals with nothing to gain but helping a good cause.

I want to also thank all who attended. The weather was not perfect. Far from it. But in spite of that we had a good turn out with 38 registered pilots. And the quality of the models and flying was outstanding!

I will post the final dollar figure later after I have been to the bank. But it is in excess of $6,000.00!

I talked to many of the people who attended and all had a great time. A good part of the Holdenvulle City government was there and they were thrilled with the event.

There is so much more that needs to be said. But I will end with this.
THANK YOU ! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! To all!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:54 PM
westlya

Ok drum roll please! I have in my possession a Cashiers check made out to the National MS Society in the amount of............................. $6,301.00! Not the $10k we were shooting for. But that folks is over 10 TIMES last year!
We are planning on doing the hand over of the check on the 29th since I have to be in town for a doctors visit.

Again thanks to all the people who attended,participated and staffed the event.
You all made the event a great success in spite of less then great weather!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.