Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

MAD Patrol 2015

Old 06-21-2015, 09:26 AM
sidthecat
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool MAD Patrol 2015

Hey everyone, its that time of year to start thinking about the Mid Atlantic Dawn Patrol, held in Virginia Beach VA. This year we are going to have more full size WWI airplanes flying, larger camp ground and parking. Also this year we are opening up the event to all aircraft from the dawn of flight to 1939. The only rule is that it cant be a combat airplane used in WII so airplanes like the Stearman, Tiger Moth and such are welcome. Civilian aircraft of the same time frame are welcome too. The landing fee is still $35.00 for the pilot +1 guest. You will get a dinner ticket for yourself + 1 for your guest if you brought one. The dinner will be a catered steak dinner with all the trimmings. There will be a period band, dancing and re enactors of the WWI era. The event will last 5 days starting 30 September through 4 October. The Virginia Beach attractions are only 15 minutes away. We have several hotels giving discounts for the event. If you are interested in sponsoring the event just contact myself and we will get it set up. There are no minimums or maximums for sponsorship. If you are a vendor you can setup and sell for free. That's a great deal for you vendors. There will be food and drink all five days. We are also putting out a call to all who have 1/2 scale planes. For all who have been to the event please pass the word. For first timers, you will have a great time. The run way we use is a grass cross runway. the main is 300"x 5002" and the cross is about 3000"x 400". We are right on the cross so wind should never be an issue. Plenty of room for tents, we have secure overnight storage for your planes regardless of size, you will be able to charge all of your gear as well. This is a very laid back event. All we want you to do is have fun. There will be awards for best Allied and best Axis airplanes and a best of show. All awards are sponsored be Glenn Torrance Models. Saturday afternoon will be the awards dinner followed by the band and dancing. Please visit www.flytrc.com and click on the Dawn Patrol for more up to date info or contact me directly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mad15poster 001.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	2104868  
Old 07-08-2015, 12:00 PM
sidthecat

Just got news that the museum has just added two new plane to their WWI fleet. They now have an E-1 Eindecker and an SEa-5. How many of you will be bringing 1/2 scale airplanes? It would be real cool if we can get a Jasta together.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:14 AM
macboss
My Feedback: (44)

Wow! An E1.

I'll be there with my Paolo Severin 40% E1.

Can't wait to get pictures side by side.

Will be my 3rd year to be there. Prior two time, started planning for the next year as I drive home.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:36 AM
sidthecat

Big news. The museum just picked up two Belerios!
Old 08-06-2015, 03:01 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

East Coast radial Flyers will be there. Sorry, nothing half scale, yet....

Oh wait. Rick's 50% Jungmeister will qualify since it was built in the 1930's.

Yippee!!!

Last edited by pettit; 08-06-2015 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:20 PM
JugFlier1

A great event in a wonderful surrounding. The museum, the beach, in the country, and a great field. Come on down!!
Old 08-13-2015, 12:17 PM
sidthecat

The Jungmeister will be good to go. Hope he brings it.
We are getting close. only 6 1/2 weeks to go. Cant believe its that time already. Where did the year go. I am working overtime on getting the Fokker DR-1 done. It will be close. We are going to do some new things this year that I think you guys will like. Cant wait to see you all.
Here is a teaser of my build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0121.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	4.34 MB
ID:	2114294  
Old 08-13-2015, 12:19 PM
sidthecat

Art, Whats up you have been very quiet....
Paul, are you guys coming?
Old 08-20-2015, 12:36 PM
edokarlb

Was a great event last year and looks like it will be much better this year. Got 2 new BUSA kits, but unfortunately they won't be finished. Guess I'll have to bring the old Pup again.
Looking forward to seeing what great aircraft will show up this year.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:39 AM
macboss

Scott,

DR 1 looks great…….just can't think of more adjectives. Bet she flys like a dream.

Really like my E1. Flies slow and low. Definatley an old guys plane.

Joe and I are already packed……althugh there is still about 20 days to go.

Did the museum get a E1 in?

Ed Gross
Broken Arrow.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:55 AM
sidthecat

OK folks, we are just a few days away from MAD Patrol 2015. If you are looking at the weather we are having right now dont worry. It all should be out of the area by the time of the event. I am looking forward to seeing all of you again this year. Its going to be a great time. Seeya in a few days

Scott
Old 09-27-2015, 06:15 AM
macboss

Scott,

Looks like weather will be getting worse rather than better.

Be sad to see the event blown out.

Ed
Old 09-27-2015, 09:07 AM
sidthecat

Exclamation

To All, The MAD Patrol has been canceled due to a nasty weather front that wont move off of the area. All 5 days are calling for rain and 10-30 mph winds all week as well. We will just have to regroup and start over for next year. I am very sorry for the news but I would rather call it then have you all make the trip here for nothing. The full size have already called it too. Again I am sorry for the news.
Keep em Flying
Scott