Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

Giant Scale warbirds at Muncie AMA ?

Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Giant Scale warbirds at Muncie AMA ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 03:14 PM
warbirdav8r
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Scale warbirds at Muncie AMA ?

Who would be interested in a giantscale warbird only Fly-in, to be held at AMA site on Labor Day weekend. It looks like it's going to happen. No 3D, No noontime shutdowns, just big warbirds,all the time,all day!
Old 11-15-2003, 04:49 PM
Stick Jammer

Default RE: Giant Scale warbirds at Muncie AMA ?

I would go. I enjoy all types of R/C airplanes, but an event with only GS Warbirds would be cool indeed.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:23 PM
PT21Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds great to me! Now if I can just get a warbird or two built so I can attend.

Jerry
Old 11-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Katchmarek
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an excellent idea! I would make the trip for sure!
Rob Bailey / Pickupsticks

If you like giant scale warbirds check out my website at: www.warbirdbuilder.com
Old 11-23-2003, 05:47 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Why limited to giant scale?
Old 11-29-2003, 11:14 PM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great Idea! I plan to show up and hope my son can make it too. I think we can field at least 5 giant scale warbirds. It would be great if all the giant scale warbirds came to Muncie on Labor Day. For Warbird lovers this has gotta be the best thing they could dream of.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Sounds good, but why not do it over Memorial Day Weekend? Seems a more fitting weekend for a Warbird Rally - plus, I believe they hold some car race a couple of hours away on Sunday of that weekend!
Old 12-12-2003, 07:38 PM
jetster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds great to me, the battle creek Mi. boys will be there! with maybe 4or5 planes.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:07 AM
Spychalla Aircraft
My Feedback: (34)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: JLLayton

Why limited to giant scale?
I want to take a crack at answering JLLayton as I did answer the same question in the Warbird Forum. It is my intention to answer and at the same time not destroy the thread like happened to the last thread on Muncie. Sorry to Warbirdav8tor if this doesn't work.

As I give my answer, let me qualify myself that I fly both little warbirds and big warbirds. Take a look at the following photo. That is my baby T-6. An HOB .15 powered little Warbird. Loads of fun. A legitimate Warbird. I fly it a lot and know and empathize with the whole spectrum from little to big.

Now, with that said, here is my answer: Big planes fly a big pattern, little planes fly a little pattern. Little planes dart around the sky and turn on a dime, big planes move in relatively big predictable patterns. Big plane pilots want and need to predictably know where the traffic is at all times. They can comfortably achieve that in the company of big aircraft. It is difficult to achieve in the company of small aircraft.

I wouldn't put up my baby T-6 Warbird with a giant. I try not to fly my giant Warbird in the sky at the same time a smaller model is up. I see it as just a practical matter and not one of arrogance or oppression of the smaller machines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45444.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	85643  
Old 02-10-2004, 09:40 AM
eugene

A Warbird show at the National Flying site would generate a great deal of interest , not only in the sport, but spectators as well.....At this time i would like to address a problem I have naming it a "Giant Scale" event., rather than a "Warbird' event.. There are several excellent designers, builders, and pilots, of planes in the 80 to 108" range. However, the planes of choice for , not only entry level, but experienced modelers as well, are the Top Flite G.E. Warbirds.. When glassed, detailed, powered, and propped correctly, they are an asset to any Warbird meet.. further, a 5 1/2' W.S. , is not necessarily a "Small " model. And the T.F kits can be ramp ready for around $1000.00... The giant Scale planes are the ambition of most modelers, but the price tags prohibit their involvement.. Exclusion , is not the proper direction for our sport, I ask that my suggestion be considered.....
Old 03-07-2004, 08:38 PM
outlaw aeromodeler

I think that all war birds should be invited. alot of live close too the AMA field and have big and little war birds. it would give all of us a chance to show off. And have some fun. I would have no problem splitting up the flying time so noone felt funny flying with big or little .
Old 03-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: outlaw aeromodeler

I think that all war birds should be invited. alot of live close too the AMA field and have big and little war birds. it would give all of us a chance to show off. And have some fun. I would have no problem splitting up the flying time so noone felt funny flying with big or little .
Hey, great! When are you putting on that event?

Dave Olson
Old 03-10-2004, 12:37 AM
Fighterpilot
My Feedback: (2)

I've got to agree with LeoSpike, big planes and little planes don't mix any better than Warbirds and IMAC. It is just too different types of flying and too different traffic patterns. I wouldn't have a problem limiting it to warbirds over 70" because then you would at least have similar traffic patterns. It's the .40 size warbirds that zip in and out from upwind to downwind in a heart beat that become difficult to keep track of, spotter or not. I can't say it any plainer than did Leo. I don't think we are trying to slight anyone here, just trying to promote a big warbird event.