Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

NW Hobby Expo

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 11:16 AM
crownvic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NW Hobby Expo

NW hobby expo this week end at the WW fair grounds in Puyallup WA. Feb 4-5-6
Old 01-31-2005, 02:40 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: NW Hobby Expo

ha, I was going to post this as well! Thanks

Will see you all there!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:40 PM
hobbygroup

That's funny because I wanted to post last night but the system was down for maintenance.

We have this year a larger number of exhibitors and few new manufacturers. Also advance ticket sales ends tonight 2/1/05

For more information visit www.nwhobbyexpo.com

Capt. Ron
Old 02-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Backwing
My Feedback: (3)

I'm hoping to make it over Sat. or Sun.
See you there.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:01 PM
RobertC
My Feedback: (157)

So, what did you guys think?

I took the day off work on Friday thinking that I would be there almost by myself... well, I guess that there are more addicts than I thought in this area!

The swap-shop seemed about the same, some good deals and some junk. In the main hall it was nice to see the addition of BME Aircraft showing their latest stuff (hey, how about some "show-specials"?) as well as the several other vendors, but I missed Chief not being there. The static competition, however, was *really* small! I'm sure that this was just because it was Friday... I hope that more aircraft showed-up today (anybody get any pictures?).

The show just seemed much smaller this year. Granted, I didn't go today (Saturday) and maybe there were more vendors (that didn't make it on Friday). I certainly don't want to discourage the organization that puts on this event (heck, no such thing as a "bad" model-airplane show!), but I wish it could attracts the "big boys"-- Hobbico, Horizon, etc.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:36 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That was always a great show. I had a couple of aircraft and one Kavan Jet Ranger win best in class years ago. It started out at the Red Lion Inn at the airport as I recall.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:34 AM
quietflyer
My Feedback: (1)

I have been attending the Expo for the past ten years or so and this year's show was disappointing to say the least. Participation by big name vendors was down compared to previous years. None of the radio manufacturers were there.Chief Aircraft was noticeably absent (probably missed by the 'glow and giant scale gas' community). Lanier, FMA, Jet Hanger Hobbies, Sig Mfg.,ACP Composites, Trick RC, Bob Holman Plans, RCModeler and Bruce Tharpe Engineering, to name a few, were some of the vendors who didn't come back. There seemed to be an increase in electric flight products/vendors, although I didn't see much in terms of higher end products with regards to motors and sport/scale planes. There seemed to be a proliferation of 3-D type depron models and GWS models. I'm sure the park flier and indoor electric crowd were thrilled by the representations. I hope next year's show is better represented by glow and giant scale manufacturers and retailers.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:11 PM
JohnVH

Well, Im back too, I liked the show, but today (sunday) was not so good, but it is superbowl sunday, so I knew before getting there it would be dead.. Friday was much more lively than I figured it would be, and saturday was a great turnout IMO. Hoping next year some of the big venders come, and the ones that didnt make it this year.

Thanks for putting it on.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Kevgofly
My Feedback: (2)

I have lived in the NW for 4 years now. Each year I ended up missing the show because of deployments, but I always heard how good it was. I have been to Ontario CA show, Perry GA show several times and many others, so my expectatiosn were pretty high. I new the show was in "transition" with a new club, group or whatever running it, so I prepared for the worse. Let's just say I under prepared. There weren't a lot of big manufacturers there, ok, I can deal with that, we represent a small portion of the market. Lot's of foamy stuff, but that's where people are making money, I can deal with that. What I couldn't believe was how completely disorganized it was. There was one guy running the show (at least that's what it seemed) and if you had a question, any question, you had to find him. GOOD LUCK! Getting the table you reserved in advance was like pulling teeth (swap shop area). The swap shop, well, it was typical swap shop, lot's of junk, a few good deals here and there.

The one thing that pushed me over the edge was the static display. I entered a model, so I saw this first hand. The judges seemed to invent a judging criteria. There was no rhyme or reason to who won what! But, we all know judging is very subjective, I can deal with that. What absolutely BLEW MY MIND was how the management handled the awards. Guys had entered models that they had invested a ton of effort to construct (well execpt the guys who just buy something and stick it in the show, "look what I own"). The static models are a big draw for attendance. And how were the awards handled? Uh, heres an award, not sure what it's for, thanks see ya, uh not sure where the judges are, uh, be there at 5pm, but we run 45 minutes late. In my opinion, it was downright disrespectfull for the people who put forth the effort to build a model and put up with the hassel to get them in, and then be treated like we were a nuisance. It was a goat rope. I thought having my model there would help promote my favorite discipline of our great hobby, and I think it did, so mission accomplished, but I don't know that I would stand witness to the poor management displayed next time.

All of that asside, the people who converged there made all the other stuff fade. I was able to see so many old flying budies, and met and talked to a lot of great people. There was some really nice stuff on display, always fun to see whats new. So, like the poor addicted sucker that I am, I will probably be back next year and just hope for some improvements, but if not, I'll still have a good time.

Kev
Old 02-07-2005, 04:50 PM
hobbygroup

Kev,

First thanks for taking time to voice your feedback we are in a learning process and we value your input.

Getting the table you reserved in advance was like pulling teeth
I can't recall your name full name, but did you have a table reserved at the swap shop?

You also have not been to the show for the past four years but all the big Mfg. (stop showing up in the past years). We had 30 new exhibitor and a total of 17 more than last year.

Regarding the model competition it is a hard task to do and coordinate and gave us some headaches like my Head judge and his group disappearing before the award and not completing their judging until after 5. That is a problem when you work with a group of volunteers. I know for a fact that we are going to make some major change regarding the static Competition. However, The best in Show Nigal Tarvin's Vega won a $400.00 American Express Gift Certificate.

Anyway, we are looking for feedback regarding the show and suggestions how we can improve the show
Old 02-07-2005, 06:01 PM
Kevgofly

Yes, I had a table reserved. I did get the table, all went well. But it took a lot of searching to figure out what table was where. This is something that seems to me should be a no brainer (of course, I wasn't the one doing it so I understand things are often more difficult than they would seem). When I showed up, I new I was at table 91. It would have been simple to check in, then go to the table marked 91. But the tables weren't marked. Ok, no problem, go to the table that matches 91 on the floor plan. Well, the floor plan didn't match the tables lay out. I was then told, all the tables weren't up yet (no tables were ever put up after that to the best of my knowledge though). Anyway, we finally all just picked tables and made it work, and that's fine, unless one person decides to be a ..... pick an adjective, then kaos sets in.

As for the manufacturers, again, didn't bother me they weren't there. I talk to several reps from "big manufacturers" on a regular basis and most felt the market didn't justify their attendance. I don't have a problem with that, that's just smart business. If you can get more big names, great, but I wasn't dispaointed (or suprised by) with that, just an observation. Sounds like you are already seeing growth, and that's great.

As for the static display thing, you obvious realize it didn't go well. I'm sure it will improve. As for suggestions on how to improve it, you could make it "peoples choice". Everyone who comes into the area is given a ballot and votes (many ways to do this). If you want to have judges, get people who at least know what they are looking at. I don't know who the judges where, or how they were sellected, so I'm speculating. If you have a "race plane" category, your judge for that category should be people who race planes and understand what it takes to build one. Like wise, I as an airplane guy should not judge the boats. You need volunteers to help judge, I bet I can get you a ton of people to judge aerobatic planes, or sport planes. The host club is unlikely to be the best source of a judging pool. However, AMA Sigs could probably provide some leads.

Last thing, as I stated it seemed there was one person with all of the answers (I assume it was you). This one person was obviously over worked (and probably under paid). This is unfair not only to participants, but also to the over worked one person. Form a committee, delgate, appoint whatever. There should be someone in charge of the swap shop. He (or she) should be know all be all, end all. Same with the static stuff, indoor flying, outdoor exibition, and probably most important, the vendor/ manufacturer booths.

These are only my opinions. I don't mean to sound indignate, not saying I could do it better, just thoughts. I appreciate the hard work that goes into something like this and only want to see it grow.

Kev
Old 02-08-2005, 02:58 AM
hobbygroup

Kevin,

Thanks for the Great input. Regarding the Swap shop next year we will have all the tables numbered an plenty of floor plans.

We have been trying to bring the big name mfg. back but it takes time. We got some real good new exhibitors Such As West Mountain Radio, GWS, Dionysus Design, RC Raven, 3-D foamy, Keleo Creations, Fun fly RC, BME Aircraft, RC Groups, Little Screamers.Com, RC Jet Heli, and many more. As you probably know that there is a shift in the industry to ARF's RTF and many electrics so the increase number of electric mfg. is reflects that

But in reality we had two problems the First the model competition.
I'd prefers peoples choice instead of a panel of judges. I believe I told you that when you took your models. Also I'd like to revise the Categories to reflect the entries. We only had about 65 total models entered. which means the space and the tables cost us a lot of money with not a great display. Having a lot of empty tables did not make me happy.

So, I want to know how important is the model competition to the show. Looking at our website statics it was right under directions

Also would like to get some feedback about the club booth issues

Ron
Old 02-16-2005, 12:23 AM
catboater
My Feedback: (51)

I have been to the show for the last 8 years in a row and I can say, without question, this was the worse. I, like Kev, talked to several of the the vendors that always were there and always had great deals. The ones that chose not to come back all said the same thing, and that was that The Hobby Group made it such a hassle for them to get their booths that they just said to heck with it. Unorganized and rude responses to questions were the things that they told me turned them away.
As for the static judging, it was a farce, plain and simple. The categories were screwed up and the judging was horrible. How does a factory arf beat out several other models that were kits or scratch built and were far and away the best on display. The answer is simple, politics and cronyism.
You guys have got a lot of work to do if you want to have decent attendance next year.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:10 PM
danhoh

I'm not really sure why I'm doing this. To start off with, I was one of the judges for the static part of the event. Its pretty easy to make comments when one is not in the "know". I was roped into judging, due to lack of interest by others. Imagine that ??? I have judged at other events before, and well aware about no-win situations.

To start off with, most of the judges were not happy with what we had to work with, in terms of rules and catagories. I thought it sucked. But I went out there, just like the others did, to do the best we could. I got lucky with another judge. We were assigned the Jet catagory. Only one entry. Automatic first place. Job's over. You don't like it, you can suck on a sour grape. Similar situations with some of the other judging. A few judges had a harder time of it. I/we didn't make the rules. We had to live with it. We did have a "judges choice", and its simply that. "Choice." That was a little more difficult. Again, this one was up to each judges personal opinions, as we were not given any criteria. I'd guess there were about 20-25 of us judging.

OK.
Here are the Kudo's, and Critictism's.

KUDO's

A big KUDO's to the group that took the event over, from the club that no longer wanted to do it anymore. You did it. You pulled it off. Hopefully it was worth your time. Hopefully we all will have learned, and maybe next year wll be bigger and better.

Kudo's to the pilots who flew all day, including the rubber guys. Being next to them was a real treat.

I did enjoy seeing increased numbers of commercial exhibitors. This was great.

CRITICISM'S

Security around the models. This was scary. People started taking their models apart begining late sunday morning. No one challenged them. No one.

Communication!!! No one told the judges that we were supposed to be anywhere. If you all wanted us to be somewhere for something, you better communicate that to the guy that was in charge of the judging, so he can tell us.

Judging Catagories. I think this should be standardised with AMA catagories and rules. I think it would have made things alot easier. I think judging should be continued. Please don't rag on the judges. Some of the criticism's in this thread are HIGHLY uncalled for. Again, accusing us of politics and cronyism...... I'm also kind of upset that the one poster that appears to be the organisor, played along with it. Thats real upsetting.

Peoples Choice is always popular. First, Second, and Third. I'd highly recommend it.

Club tables. For the first time we were charged for the table. As the newly elected President of my club, I was against paying for the booth. But the Club's Treasurer, whom I respected, requested that the club do it anyways, and I agreed to it. I noticed that there were many clubs that were a no-show. You need the Clubs there, to help promote the hobby. To help the industry. We are your PR men. Don't charge the clubs for the booths. This affected the attendance. You MUST allow the clubs there for free.

Publicity..... Where was the advance notices? Oh, there were some. Nothing like in previous years past.

Volenteers?? almost none. Is it because some of you, did not volenteer untill after the fact? Sorry, but thats the way I'm picking it up. To the organisor; if you need help, you gotta get the word out. If this is a problem then require from the clubs, 1 volenteer throughout the weekend. Shifting allowed. All kinds of duties could have been assigned. Thats one way to get help.

Exhibitors..... Many of the "big names" were not there. While I appreciated the ones that were there........ I came with a BIG wad of cash, and I went home with a BIG wad of cash. I was not happy. Hopefully the "big names" will return. I think this is important. More, MOre MORe, and MORE !!!!

Railroads. Were thay not there because you wanted to charge them to have their layouts there? I'm not a railroader, but I always enjoyed looking at them.

Super Bowl Weekend ?? Ouch. But perhaps there were other things coming into play, so I'll not comment anymore on this one.

OK, thats enough. I'm not sure if this will make it past the mods. But remember after reading all this, reread the KUDO's above.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:23 PM
monocoupe
My Feedback: (40)

Hello All,

I have just read this thread with great interest and feel compelled to add my two cents worth.

First, let me say that while I agree with some of the criticisms voiced here about the show I have been giving the show's organizers the benifit of the doubt. After all, this is the first time they have run it, and I look forward to next years show being better as a result of the aquired experience.

Having said that, I must call Ron on his statement that my "Best Of Show" Lockheed Vega won a $400 gift certificate. I have recieved no such certificate to date and neither has my father who won "Best Military Boat". We were told on the Saturday night as the plaques were un-cerimoniously distributed (yes, I did find it a bit insulting after all the trouble we all went to to be there) that the gift certificates would be sent out on the following Wednesday (Feb 9).
It was bad enough that the handing out of the awards was handled poorly but to then promise us gift certificates which for whatever reason were not available at the show then leave us swinging in the wind?

It is now March 20...I would be curious to know if any of the other winners have recieved their gift certificates?

Ron, I could see first hand how ragged you were run at the show as it was no small undertaking. I do believe that myself and all the others that contributed to your show deserve more respectful treatment, if you would like our continued support.
I for one would very much like to see the show continue successfully well into the future.

I will post here when we have recieved our certificates

Respectfully, Nigel Tarvin
Old 03-29-2005, 07:56 PM
monocoupe

March 29, still no gift certificates.....[]
Old 05-02-2005, 11:31 AM
monocoupe

Well, here it is May 2nd and still no $400 gift certificate.
Ron, you last told me that you would be having it sent out when you returned from your trip in the middle of April.
Since I have had no luck reaching you via e-mail or telephone since then, perhaps you will read this and get my message....

"Can you tell me why I have still not recieved the $400 gift certificate I won back in February?"

I would very much like a reply.....

Regards, Nigel Tarvin

Old 05-31-2005, 11:43 AM
monocoupe

May 31st, still no replies, still no gift certificates[]
Old 08-27-2005, 03:59 PM
monocoupe

End of August...still no reply or the gift certificate. []

Will there be a show next year? I hope so.

I have reported them to the B.B.B.

Nigel Tarvin
Old 08-30-2005, 11:33 AM
Kevgofly

WOW! Pretty "hokie".

Kev
Old 09-19-2005, 11:20 PM
monocoupe

September 19th.
Still no response from the Hobby Group, however the Better Business Bureau did respond to say that they too have had no response from the Hobby Group. They tell me that a non-response to a complaint gives the offending company the lowest possible rating. And all over $400!
Old 09-21-2005, 12:17 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

From the above responses it is obvious that the certificates were not paid or at least one contestant didn't get what he/she expected. I think this discussion should be taken offline to be resolved.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:18 PM
JohnVH

Makes me a little hesitant to send in my form to reserve a table at the next show, sure like to see this resolved...
Old 09-21-2005, 02:33 PM
monocoupe

For the record, I have just recieved a PM from the Hobby Group and been informed that the second certificate is now on it's way to me (the first one was apparently lost in the mail).

I will indeed post here the moment that the certificate arrives, and at that time I will make no further posts on this thread.

Respectfully, Nigel L. Tarvin
Old 09-21-2005, 04:53 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Just remember that some communication between two parties should remain between the two parties. Please only post private information that is mutually agreed upon for publication.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.