Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

AMA Convention in Pasaden, CA?

Old 11-25-2002, 09:00 PM
mecam
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default AMA Convention in Pasaden, CA?

Has anyone attended this show in the past? Is it a good show? Are there a lot vendors/manufacturers attending?
Old 11-26-2002, 03:55 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been going to the show since the first one held by Model Builder magazine more than twenty years ago. It is underground in the Pasadena convention center and the parking ain't cheap, nor are the rooms and there is always some sort of construction going on to confuse things as the parade was only a week or two prior. Over the years it has gone from a general hobby show to about 80-90% aircraft. There are still boats, and car vendors and demonstrations, and sometimes a modular railroad in the back rooms. The antique R/C society collectors have not showed up past two years now, nor has SIG. The hobby and model show/contest is sort of average, big and small, but nothing eye popping.

Lately it has been about 70 vendors, both big and small, local and international. The hall is limited, so there is no room to grow. For the jet lovers, Oft' times the vendors will debut a new item, or prototype for crowd reaction. They used to hold "how to" sessions, but last year I don't remember a single one being advertised. There is a swap shop room, but it is "really" crowded in there, and they limit the quantity of how many can enter at one tiome. If you go to the vendors area first, you did not get any deals, and by about noon the good deals are underneath the arms of persons now walking the aisles.

Friday and Saturday is the best day, as the vendors are more talkative. On Sunday, the moms bring their little demons to tow around the place for entertainment and the big chiefs of the vendors tend to sleep in. All the composite guys tend to show up and bring their strips and rods for sale, plus give a demo at the top of each hour, same as all the battery vendors and Superior Balsa. This saves you their shipping and handling fee too. Tamiya used to bring their complete line-up, but now only brings whatever rolls, floats, or flys. If interested in new glow engines, bring your trades and MECOA has been there accepting your old stuff (as advertised) but against their trade show specials. Most of the Arizona based firms show up, and really show off too. Bring a bunch of $1 dollar bills. Balsa is $1 per bundle, ACC is $1 per bottle, and some vendor was selling European made (obsolete) per-mag motors for $1 while they lasted.

Make sure you show up with a full tummy, as hot dogs and soda are more expensive than admission.

Wm.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:03 AM
mecam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks CoosBayLumber, I think I'll give the show a shot, it's about an 8hour drive from SF.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:23 PM
3dbatixkid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And youre takin me. I gotta go hang out with my best buddy Dave Patirck.
Old 11-29-2002, 04:55 AM
ecoliburger
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

when is it this year or I guess I should say 2003
Old 11-29-2002, 05:30 AM
mecam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jan 17~19, 2003

http://modelaircraft.org/templates/a...3D82B51F7C5BD7
Old 12-07-2002, 05:55 AM
danmilo
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just had to add my two cents on the show. Coosbay was right on with the description. I have attended many of the shows and while they are a good show, the facility limitations have kept it from being a great show. It is just kinda squeezed!

I wrote to Jay Mealey at the AMA this year after I attended a trade show at the Ontario, CA Convention Center. Just three years old and plenty big, I had to tell Jay about it! I sent an e-mail and I mailed him an info/price packet. He responded with an e-mail which said the AMA was aware of the new convention center and they were already booked for 2004!!!

If you need to fly in, it is right outside the Ontario airport. many commercial airlines fly in, Southwest, United, Alaska, etc.

In addition, there will be an RCX tradeshow in Anaheim in May. This is sponsored by Model Airplane News. Looks like it will be a good one as well.

Dan