Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

Paint ball R/C shootdown event ?

Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Paint ball R/C shootdown event ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 02:57 PM
bdreed
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Paint ball R/C shootdown event ?

A friend and I did the shooting thing with a shotgun and light #9 shot. I flew a junker plane and he was able to hit the plane 4-5 times out of maybe 150 shots. This was in my farm field with nobody around so safety was not really much of an issue. It was a lot of fun and we're planning on another round this fall.

Be safe!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Or better yet, Rig up a plane to shoot paintballs and make straffing runs! LOL If someone shoots at my plane they should bear one thing in mind....I SHOOT BACK. [>:]

If reasonable safety measures are taken with an event such as the one described here, I personally see no problem with it. Having played paintball and now flying RC, I would be in "Hog Heaven" to participate in such an event, flying or shooting!
Old 05-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Dead eyes
My Feedback: (1)

I am a little overcome by all the great input on this subject. Thanks for the info so far, and by all means keep it coming.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:32 AM
Solstice

We've done it. We used a Corostar trainer. We didn't have the fancy fast firing paintball guns of today. It was VERY hard to hit even slow and low. Makes me really appreciate what those WWII gunners dealt with in the Pacific. The Corostar material is plastic sign material. The paintball does not harm this material. The aileron torque rods and contol surfaces had so much built in flex that a hit on them did nothing to the servo. The only other thing that we felt could happen is a hit to the engine might kill it.

Our safety items on plane were:
Switch mounted inside plane. A small wire was inserted into small opening to turn it on and off.
Two aileron and elevator servos, just in case a servo strip or damage to surface.
Air filter on carb.

My thoughts are that the plane set up this way, flown in a normally safe manner (out over runway, past the flight line) is not an issue at all.

Safety items:
Make sure the shooters and all participating wear EYE protection at ALL TIMES.
Paintball markers must have barrel plugs at ALL TIMES except when line goes hot.
Pilot only flies plane, no other duties.
Firing line handled by another person (Range Officer). If there are a number of shooters plan for extra Safety officers to assist the range officer.
Use a few simple commands to let all shooter know when Range is HOT, Commence Fire, Cease Fire, and Barrel Plugs In.

The biggest risk is paintball fired and hitting someone in unprotected eye. Serious injury.

Have fun.

Solstice
Old 05-25-2006, 11:24 AM
phat742

a few friends an i have done this with my wingwarrior e-zipper. it took a couple hits and didn't affect the wing at all. of course we wasted probably five hundred shots trying to hit it. it was still really fun even though we wasted all that paint.

now i want to go do that this weekend! haha!

...in the middle of the desert of course. no flying field would allow that to occur.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Dead eyes

After much debate and thought (thanks for all the input on this board and club members both for and against) I decided against having this event. If I had to point at one single case I would point to the recent death of 2 spectators overseas. [sm=frown.gif]
Old 06-02-2006, 12:57 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done this before.... SUPER FUN.... yes.. protect the switch DUH!!!

We used the Drain Pipe planes....

Do It... it is a hoot!!!!..

Be sure to provide adequate Personal Protection... Safety Glasses...
And Chrono the guns down to 225 feet per second!!!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:28 AM
edstrek
My Feedback: (49)

We have tried it and you can break the PVC fuse and the colorplast can be broken by paint balls. They are difficult to hit in the air. We tested it flying by solw abotu 30 feet away out of about 300 paint balls we sustained between 12 - 15 hits.

Hi all Our Freemont County Raido Control aircraft club (Canon City / Florence area Colorado) is planning to do a fundraiser where you can shoot at severial raido control aircraft in flight. It will be held at our flying field behind the Freemont County airport. We are planning for a Sat in June. SO if you are looking for a differnt sorta fun paint ball event email me at [email protected] I will be managing the email list for the club to keep you informed of our progress for this event.

R/C aircraft Paint ball shoot.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:48 PM
jkraft55

Hey guys
We blow up battleships check it out on youtube type in search box pinebelt rc club
This years Ship is a forty footer in 3-d not a card board cut out like two years ago.
be watching for it on youtube.
The paintball thing sounds pretty good. Safety and fun can be accomplished at the same time!