Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Swap meet start times

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 07:04 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swap meet start times

Why do local small one day swap meets have to start so darn early? I just went to the Cincinnati swap meet and vendors were let in at 7 AM and general admission at 8 AM. Even our local swap meet is starting at 8 AM and is over at noon.

These swap meets are usually mostly over by noon time. Since you would like more out of town people to attend and early start times will cause some not to even try to attend, why not start at about 10 to 11 AM and run till 4 PM or so?

I know some left home at 4 AM to get to the Cincy meet. I am lucky and have a son that lives in Cincy and I visit him on Saturday and get up early on Sunday to get to the swap meet. I got there at 7:30 and left at 10. I would much rather get there at 10 and leave at 12:30. Heck, McDonalds wasn't even open at that time of morning.

Just my rant.... Soap box off...
Old 10-16-2006, 08:07 AM
Dr1Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Swap meet start times

You answered your own question. Most swap meets are basically over around 12:00-1:00. To give the buyers and sellers time to get together, they HAVE to start early. A swap meet is nothing more than an indoor, specialized yard sale. Those sometimes start even earlier. Swap meets are usually on Saturday. Many pilots will want to go fly after attending the meet. Maybe even try out an item they bought there. Unless it's a large well-established meet, you won't see people driving long distances to attend, especially with the price of gas what it is now. Think about it. Unless you're looking for a special, large ticket item, it doesn't pay to drive a long distance. You can find it used on eBay or order it new cheaper.

Dr.1