Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Gun 2008, what to expect

Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Top Gun 2008, what to expect

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 05:50 PM
WLJ
My Feedback: (108)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Gun 2008, what to expect

CONGRATULATIONS DAVID HAYES, AND HIS RATTY ARIES THRUSH, KEEPS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:48 AM
Jay Hayes

I attended my first Top Gun this year and had a great time. I'm in upstate New York and we have NOTHING like this up here. I negotiated a single day to myself during our Disney trip, leaving the wife to handle 3 kids alone. I dont mind the $25 pit pass, but I didn't know about it and didnt have it with me. I had to choose between pit pass or food and drink for the day. I could skip lunch but it was 90F and I had to drink. I didnt know who to be mad at, the show for not advertising that actual admission was $35 or myself for traveling 1200 miles to go to a show and not bringing more cash. The show was great just the same. The Thunderbird F 16 was worth it alone. I do know I will do my part and bring more cash next time. I hope Top Gun does the same by advertising with greater accuracy.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:41 AM
BillHarris

While Topgun may be one of the premier R/C events in the country, it seems to me that Frank Tiano is trying to get the spectators to foot the bill for this event...
Then who would you propose to foot the bill? As you found out, it ain't cheap and someone has to pay the piper. Maybe next year we can have the competing event in Zehpyr Hills?

Bill
Old 04-28-2008, 10:06 AM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

35 $ for a airshow and not post the price, well if it is to high,they will not post the price,shows here are free,we need the new friends, thats my story and i am sticking to it frank99
Old 04-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: frank99

35 $ for a airshow and not post the price, well if it is to high,they will not post the price,shows here are free,we need the new friends, thats my story and i am sticking to it frank99
I understand that the local shows are free. This ain't a local show, and if you have never attended, you don't know what you are missing. It's cheap at $35.00. What you are missing, is that the pit passes are good for all 5 days. You can't see all of Top Gun in one day. At the great risk of being Tarred and Feathered, it is kind of like comparing your little podunk ASA car race to the Daytona 500. It just don't compare.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 04-28-2008, 11:47 AM
I_Fly_Coolers
My Feedback: (7)

Frank Tiano ain't gettin' any more of my money. What a frikken ripoff $20 for a pit pass? Like I said, last year I fell for that scam, so this year I DID NOT attend...Neither did any of my 5 friends that usually go with me. To charge for an event to see planes is fine, then you get in and they tell you $20 MORE to SEE THE PLANES is bull#@$# [:@] Maybe the event WOULD be better off in Zephyr Hills !! At least I wouldn't have to battle I-4 traffic, (2 hours to go 50 miles) which was also a reason I did not attend
Old 04-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: I_Fly_Coolers

Frank Tiano ain't gettin' any more of my money. What a frikken ripoff $20 for a pit pass? Like I said, last year I fell for that scam, so this year I DID NOT attend...Neither did any of my 5 friends that usually go with me. To charge for an event to see planes is fine, then you get in and they tell you $20 MORE to SEE THE PLANES is bull#@$# [:@] Maybe the event WOULD be better off in Zephyr Hills !! At least I wouldn't have to battle I-4 traffic, (2 hours to go 50 miles) which was also a reason I did not attend
You can always cut your nose off to spite your face. I hate to see anyone that angry regarding their hobby, but the thing that you don't seem to understand, is that the rental on the Airport facility is several thousand dollars. The grandstand rental is several thousand dollars, not to mention the tent rental. Now Frank is a great guy, but would you expect to see him pay for the facilities for you to enjoy the show from his own pocket? The pit pass thing is a little out of control. We had a very difficult time with the judging due to so many people holding the pit passes. One group actually stepped over the ropes that were deliniating the judging area for static, and stopped to have a look at the plane on the judging table. They even got huffy when asked to move from the area. Also there were several instances where holders of pit passes were camped in the tents of the contestants. A pit pass does not give ownership. The show is constantly being tweaked, but it's not perfect. What it is, is the best scale contest that you will ever have the opportunity to attend. You could have attended all 5 days on your same pit pass, and the daily cost would have been 4 bucks. Instead, you worked yourself into a mad funk, and didn't come at all. It was your loss. Do you feel better now? As to it taking you 2 hours to drive from Zephyr Hills, I don't know which road you were taking, but I drove every day from Leesburg, and the longest commute was 1 hour and 10 minutes. It's 79 miles from my driveway to the parking lot at Linder.

Bill, AMA 4720
Team Scale Outline Judge

ps.....You could have seen the planes from the grandstand without having to buy the pit pass. Have you ever tried to get into the pits at Daytona? That pass ain't free either, and it's more than $20.00 and it's only good for one day.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Dart373
My Feedback: (2)

I too went for the first time. I too will not go back because of the ripoff pit pass thing. I hope the event changes their greed. I know the bills need to be paid some how, but don't have a hidden BS pit pass charge. I really enjoyed the planes and pilots. It was a good show I think. Also, it will be a jet rally in another few years... too many jets and not enough of the planes that made the event what it is today....

PS- as for coming over to the judges tent and saying hi...... will that cost another $25 too?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Steve Steinbring

I've attended the last two events that Frank has put on being both FL Jets and Top Gun. Frankly, I think that he puts on a well run first class show!

No one is forcing anyone to purchase the close VIP parking, a pit pass, or to eat the food or drink the beverages there are no restrictions on brown bagging. The event is there for your enjoyment, only you can decide what you want to get out of it.

Too Expensive???? Well, Frank Tiano takes all the risk up front, and for that he is entitled to any reward coming to him providing things go well. If the weather is bad as it was at Florida Jets he loses money, the attendance was poor.

The Imperial Flying club the host club works its butt off helping make a memorable event for the attendees with little reward. The airfield, stands, trophies, signs, first class announcer, countless hours of planning. coordination of effort don't come cheap. The event grounds are clean, the sound system good, schedule of events well planned. Whats really not to like?

If anyone of you can present a superior event then please put your money and effort on the line. I'd love to attend![8D]
Old 04-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Steve Steinbring

I've attended the last two events that Frank has put on being both FL Jets and Top Gun. Frankly, I think that he puts on a well run first class show!

No one is forcing anyone to purchase the close VIP parking, a pit pass, or to eat the food or drink the beverages there are no restrictions on brown bagging. The event is there for your enjoyment, only you can decide what you want to get out of it.

Too Expensive???? Well, Frank Tiano takes all the risk up front, and for that he is entitled to any reward coming to him providing things go well. If the weather is bad as it was at Florida Jets he loses money, the attendance was poor.

The Imperial Flying club the host club works its butt off helping make a memorable event for the attendees with little reward. The airfield, stands, trophies, signs, first class announcer, countless hours of planning. coordination of effort don't come cheap. The event grounds are clean, the sound system good, schedule of events well planned. Whats really not to like?

If anyone of you can present a superior event then please put your money and effort on the line. I'd love to attend![8D]
AMEN!!!!!!

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 04-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Scorpion Racing

Well said Steve, Frank puts on a show second to none. You have to be a cut above the rest to put on any kind of R/C event, but in a class of your own to make it an international event with years of history.

I feel there are doers and sayers, and I think we all know where most people stand.

I look foward to the next big event, no matter who takes the risks and does all the work that no-one ever says thanks for.

I for one say, Thanks Frank, for bringing us an event that few men could.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Dart373

Why should we put the event on? We're spectators, not promotors..... in other words, we are the consumers... I guess in this day in age, the consumer gets what he or she gets... and not what they feel they deserve for a set price. I would not have driven 2 hours to the show only to learn that money just allowed me to go in and spend money on planes/parts/food. That entry fee I paid allowed me entry and access to spend more money. I sat high in the stands and I could almost see a landing through the crowd. I guess it was just not what I had expected. No big deal, just not for me. I would have gladly paid $10 more to get in the pits, but not $25. The food was good and so was the sound and announcing, I say that.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:55 AM
sonito
My Feedback: (84)

I have been reading this post for a day now and I must say that the Top Gun is the most premier scale event in the world I have had the honor to compete 4 times now and and we the pilots not just have to be invited but pay much more than the entry fee, parking pass and pit pass and I pay it gladly. Frank is a top notch professional and puts on Top Gun with a touch of class second to none.

I dont understand why folks are so upset as mentioned before you can go to a backwater dirt track race for a few bucks but you must pay more for a Daytona or Grand prix style event and thats what Top Gun is in our world the best of the best in the world of R/C Scale and still puts on a very entertaining noon time show. the pit pass? well its acceptable the food, go to an inferior baseball game and buy a 7 dollar hotdog. My pit/tent was one that had folks come and take the load off their feet but it got to the point we had to ask for permission basically to get to the plane to prep it for flight sort of say and thats not an issue. We are not premadonnas of R/C just that there is alot of stress and the caliber of competition is very fine (the best) and we all go to win or at least try if not why go? never the less FTE puts on a world class event and to be able to look forward to an event such as this one is a great pleasure and an Honor. Kudos for a job well done to the Imperial R/C club and all the coordination folks that went into Top Gun 2008.
my 2 cents [8D]
Old 04-29-2008, 07:29 AM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$7500.00 rent for the field....$8500.00 rent for the bleachers ???
Man, I'm in the wrong business !!

tommy s
Old 04-29-2008, 07:59 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This was my first time to compete in the Top Gun tournament, and I thought it was great. Well organized, and structured. The weather, other than the winds was great. The stands were full on Saturday and a lot of flying took place between Wednesday and Saturday. I think there was a good mixture of prop planes to jets and they did very well in the competition.
I really resent the fact that alot of folks think the pilots who were competing are primadonnas, that could not be farther from the truth. Most of the guys in the competition are good natured people who will share ideas with you and are happy to show you their aircraft and tell you about it. The pit passes allowed people to wander thru the flightline and get up close to planes. I think FT probably structured it this way to keep the traffic down in the pits, it can get a little busy down there even with the high cost of the pit passes. While we were out flying a round, we came back to find our tent had been taken over by four or five people who decided to have their lunch in our tent. Interestingly, they did not even acknowledge us when we returned and we had to try and get the plane back under the tent and on the table while moving around these folks who were sitting in our chairs...too funny.
I guess your image of TG defintely depends upon your perspective. I loved it, and hope to be invited to participate once again. It was great to see some old friends and make some new ones. It was priviledge to get to camp next to Dave Platt and hear his guitar and catch a little of the world from his perspective, he is a truly unique character. If I had one wish after this experience to become a better modeler it would be to be able to build like Sam Snyder and Graeme Mears, finish one with the patience and talent of Henry Ngyuen, and fly one like David Shulman. But until that time I will spend my Sunday afternoons practicing for the next time I get to participate in what can only be described as a spectacle of R/C Scale modeling.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Jay Hayes

Some here seem to have a direct connection to the event. Events like this are held for the event owner/ promoter to make money. Thats the American way and that is no problem. This event is held in VERY high esteem in the RC community. I think that after 20 years, in a state of over 19,000,000 people, within 45 minutes of Orlando (200,000) and Tampa (300,000), being THE flagship,highwater mark, standard bearer of all RC shows: Why isnt every RC vendor, publisher, manufactuer and enthusiast knocking down my door? Well, this forum is a source of feedback from the consumer. Corporations spend a fortune to find out what the buyer is thinking, here it is for free. You might want to better understand your customer instead of trying to convince him he is wrong. I think this show should be so popular that $16,000 in airport/ grandstand expenses should be of little consequence.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:31 AM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

I started this thread to get an idea what to expect, and I thank all those that replied, pro or con. I myself, was blown away by the caliber of aircraft and the event overall. I spent a fair amount of time talking with Greg Hahn about the different aspects of competing, whether it be the aircraft itself or documentation. I found Greg to a perfect gentleman and a consumate competitor. Was Top Gun worth it? YES>>>YES>>>YES! Did I have trouble with the costs....NO. Pit Pass...$25.00...so what. When was the last time you spent time at a local watering hole and threw a twenty on the bar, I'll bet not a lot of thought went into that. Its all in perspective, its what the individual wants, to go or not, to spend or not. Would I go again? You bet! Spent some time with Bill (Stickbuilder) and his wife and enjoyed that very much. Bill, would have been there Saturday, but Betty got a pretty nasty sun burn and got a little sick. I'm in the process of trying to talk her into going back down next year, will be in contact. Joe

PS If there are any spelling errors, please excuse me, I'm still a little tired from the flight.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:55 AM
John Hanske

This was the first Top Gun that I attended. I drove 3500 miles on a trip that included the Keys, Everglades, Warner Robins Air Museum, Graves Hobby shop,the Chattanooga Choo Choo, and I don't know what else. Top Gun was the highlight of the trip. I believe that charging for a pit pass is a wonderful idea. It keeps the four year olds and people who don't respect the hundreds of hours of effort that it takes to build these great aircraft from tripping into them and ruining all the work. I got there late Thursday, and spent Friday and Saturday there. I didn't buy a pit pass until Saturday because I could see the planes very easily from behind the pits. Indeed, some competitors had their planes towards the back of their tents and it was easier to see them from the back! I only purchased a pit pass to talk to a couple of guys that had a beautiful T-6 that I wanted a picture of. They were very gracious about answering my questions and allowing me full access to the plane. In fact, everyone I met there was very courteous especially when you consider the pressure they are under in competition. So, there was something for everyone. You could set up your shelter at the end of the runway and see great flying, or hob-knob with the best of the hobby. Congratulations, Frank Tiano, on a well run event. I'll be back!
Old 04-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Stickbuilder

First Place, Expert Class: Greg Hahn, 190.743
First Place, Masters Class: David Hayes, 191.100
First Place, Pro-AM-Pro Class: Dino Digiorgio, 122.339
First Place, Pro-AM-Sportsman Class: John Boyko, 119.646
First Place, Team Scale Class: Graeme Mears/David Shulman, 194.712

Mr. Top Gun: David Hayes.

Congratulations to all the contestants. You are all winners in my book.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 04-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Dart373

ORIGINAL: sonito

you can go to a backwater dirt track race for a few bucks but you must pay more for a Daytona or Grand prix style event and thats what Top Gun is in our world the best of the best in the world of R/C Scale and still puts on a very entertaining noon time show.
my 2 cents [8D]

I have also seen the best racing ever at those local shows too..... the dirt tracks that is...
Old 04-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Dart373

ORIGINAL: sonito

you can go to a backwater dirt track race for a few bucks but you must pay more for a Daytona or Grand prix style event and thats what Top Gun is in our world the best of the best in the world of R/C Scale and still puts on a very entertaining noon time show.
my 2 cents [8D]

I have also seen the best racing ever at those local shows too..... the dirt tracks that is...
Let me guess, they let you into the pits there for free too right? That same analogy works with your local shows too, but as I said before, If you want to go into the pits for the Daytona 500, plan on spending over one hundred bucks for the pass, and it's only good for one day. Yes, you can compare the 500 with Top Gun. They are both the best that there is in their respective arena. If you wanna go and stand in the pits, then do so. If you don't want to go, then See Ya. If you're that cheap, you wouldn't have enjoyed it anyway. Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope. And........let's see... If I remember correctly Nashville's Fairground Speedway was shortened to 5/8 mile and paved in about 1961. Highland Rim was paved a few years back, In fact, I don't even remember one circle track (other than for the Legends cars) that is still a dirt track left anywhere in the vicinity of Chapel Hill. That, plus the fact that Gladeville has a Super Speedway, and can't even get a Cup Race. Of course, it's been a few years since I left the Hills of Tennessee for the Sunshine State.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 04-29-2008, 08:40 PM
eHzRacing

Well this was my first year attending Top Gun... When I heard it was $10 to get in plus $25 to get in the pit area to see the planes up close I too thought it was crazy. I had a pass to get in the gate (saved $10 there) I gladly paid the $5 to park close. On Saturday it was only $10 to get a pit pass, I debated but before the 12pm show the bleachers filled quickly so I paid the $10 to get a closer look. I thought the crowd was on the large size for an RC event but it was heavily advertised on the radio and that too costs $$$. I will definetly attend next year and most likey set up a tent in the vendor area. Great job to all who worked the event!!! I'll post my pics tomorrow, have some great shots of Quique and Frank flying plus some video too.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Steve Steinbring

Hopefully those who are somewhat disappointed will think this through.

If Frank said the price was $35.00 there would still be those who would be wishing for a cheaper end zone seats to be admitted. His price structure affords more budget minded modelers admission to the show, only you can decide what your budget allows. A lot of places won't allow you to bring in your own food and beverages. The location allows plenty of shaded areas for someone and their family to picnic if they wish.

Its funny if our flying club raises dues say 25 bucks a year theres all hell to pay. The same guys don't think twice dropping down $12-15.00 for a twelve pack of cool ones a couple days a week. Its all about perceived value! I think Top Gun presents a lot of value for the dollar you decide how much you want to spend.

Someone mentioned that there were folks here that had a direct connection to the event. Thats correct! I was a first time vendor owning Newton Supply Company who manufacturers Epo-Grip Adhesives. Frank made it possible for us being new folks on the block in the modeling industry to present our goods without prejudice on his part. Even allowed us to place coupons within the pilot's competition package which a number took advantage of. Frank is a class act if you allow yourself to get to know and understand him.

However you feel Frank Tiano has done a great deal for model aviation!!! Love him or hate him that fact remains.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Dart373

Just dont be bashful.... post the price and what you get... no bait and switch... people will opt for the cheap seats, but some may also like to see the hidden fee's....
Old 04-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Steve Steinbring

Dart

Sorry that you feel that way! I don't see it as bait and switch because $10 gets everyone in the door. Then you decide what you want to see or spend at the event. Frankly on one of my short walkabout from the booth for a break I discovered that the west end of the flightline beyond the vendor tents is about the best seat in the house. The airplanes make their base to final turn right there where its a shaded area to sit, to me thats a prime spot.

On that same recess from the booth I watched one of the WWI scale pilots work on his electric vintage fighter testing the motor sound and machine guns. TOO COOL! He was not located in the main pit area, in fact there were a lot of fine airplanes to see outside those pits.

Like most everything in this world you only get what you personally make of it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.