Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Mac Hodges NEW B-29

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:59 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mac Hodges NEW B-29

To those of you who saw Mac Hodges fly the big B-29 and knew he lost it at an airshow some time back, and for those of you who've never seen it but would like to:

His new B-29 is ready to fly! It will be the same size as the old one and is scheduled to maiden this Saturday, August 29, 2009. I am pasting content copied from an email received from Mac on the subject.

Greetings From Hodges Hobbies;

I would like to invite everyone over Saturday, August 29, for the test flight of the new B-29. Seems appropriate to fly the 29 on the 29.

We picked the plane up last Saturday, brought it back, and went to work. The builder, John Monaghan, is here working on it as well as myself and several of the Hodges Hobbies team. There was a lot of work to be done to finish the plane, and there is still a lot to be done, but we are making good progress and I feel confident we will be ready Saturday. John has done an outstanding job on the plane. Fit and finish is amazing. It really looks great!The plane is the same size as the old one as it was built from a duplicate set of foam cores. The plane has 4 new ZDZ Super 80s so it should have a little more power than the old plane which had standard 80s. If everything goes well, we will do several flights as well as a X-1 drop.

We will plan on flying sometime after lunch on Saturday. And this will be the actual first flight! There are no plans to fly it prior to Saturday. So come out and enjoy the day. Bring a plane and fly.

See you Saturday, Mac
To anyone in the area wishing to attend:

The Hodges Hobbies field is in Andersonville, GA. It has a beautiful grass runway large enough to accommodate full scale aircraft, with the hobby shop on site. Must be an AMA member to fly.

more information on the shop, field, and history of Mac's B-29 can be found at the following site: http://www.hodgeshobbies.com/
Old 08-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Gremlin Castle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mac Hodges NEW B-29

I look forward to seeing it fly once again at Bomber Field in September.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:17 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gremlin Castle

I look forward to seeing it fly once again at Bomber Field in September.

Same here. I'll be covering this event for RCU and Mac's new B-29 is one of the planes I'm really looking forward to seeing there!!

Ken
Old 08-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Lomcevak Duck

Mac flew the B-29 yesterday without problems. He even did the X-1 drop. Looks like he will be back on tour with it soon.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:12 AM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Outstanding...glad to hear it will be back.
I travel to the IMAA Deland FL each winter and this last year the B-29 was not there and I told my wife.....well, "it just isn't the same show without that big B-29".
Don't anybody bother this guy while he is putting the wing bolts in this time.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:33 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: MX240

Outstanding...glad to hear it will be back.
I travel to the IMAA Deland FL each winter and this last year the B-29 was not there and I told my wife.....well, ''it just isn't the same show without that big B-29''.
Don't anybody bother this guy while he is putting the wing bolts in this time.

i agree, it's just not the same. every yr until last i have taken a photo of my 6 yo son in front of 'that big b-29'. unfortunately the last one's demise was right before our annual Warbirds over Atlanta weekend. it appears i get to revive the tradition next weekend.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Fighterpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear that Mac has a big B-29 back in the air. He is always one hell of a show. I had heard he was coming to Bomber Field this September, so I'm looking forward to seeing him perform again. We'll be rolling up at Bomber Field around Tuesday, so everyone come by and say hello. I'll have my usual fleet in the air and look forward to seeing all they guys again that make Bomber Field such a great event.
Later,
Krum