Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes
Reload this Page >

^^^^^WEST TEXAS WARBIRDS 2010^^^^^

Community
Search
Notices
Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

^^^^^WEST TEXAS WARBIRDS 2010^^^^^

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Bryan McLarty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ^^^^^WEST TEXAS WARBIRDS 2010^^^^^

Hello, everyone!

The members of the Wings Miniature Aircraft Society of Lubbock, TX are proud to announce the 3rd annual West Texas Warbirds event. This exciting event will be held the weekend of August 6th, 7th and 8th, 2010 at our home club field at the Abernathy Municipal Airport, just east of Abernathy, TX.

West Texas Warbirds is an AMA sanctioned (no. 10-0889), Class C event. A $20.00 landing fee will cover all event dates. Participating aircraft must be at least AMA Fun Scale eligible and documentation is NOT required (No Ugly Sticks, etc.). Aircraft must be in campaign colors and markings. (No Miss America P-51s, etc.) A pilots meeting will begin at 0900 hours promptly each day and will include open flying each day until dusk.

West Texas Warbirds is intended to reach out to all area clubs and their members with scale and sport/scale interests for a non-competitive, fun fly type event. From electric park flyers, electric ducted fans, glow and gas fueled aircraft, to turbine (with waivers) and multi-engine aircraft, all military fixed-wing R/C model aircraft are invited! Last year, we had attendees that came from all over Texas, as well as New Mexico and Oklahoma. Trophies for People's Choice, Pilot's Choice and Best Scale Flight will be awarded!

The Abernathy field site showcases a spacious 75' X 1400+' runway. Shaded covers have not yet been installed, so please feel free to bring your portable pop-up canopy tents. Overnight primitive camping on site is permitted for motor homes and campers trailers (no hook-ups). Food, drinks and portable restroom facilities are available onsite. For anyone coming in out of town without camping amenities, the city of Lubbock is just twenty minutes south of the flying area with plenty of lodging, restaurants and evening entertainment. This event promises to be a lot of fun so make plans now to attend! Check out our website at www.wingsmas.org.

For additional information or questions, please contact Bryan McLarty, Contest Director, at [email protected] or by telephone at (806) 789-4922.

Thanks for your consideration and help us spread the word! More information will be forthcoming.

Bryan S. McLarty, DDS
President, Wings Miniature Aircraft Society
Contest Director, West Texas Warbirds
Lubbock, TX
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48290.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	1441482  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Yt61517.pdf (590.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Bryan McLarty

Default RE: ^^^^^WEST TEXAS WARBIRDS 2010^^^^^

OK, guys! Its CRUNCH time! West Texas Warbirds is right around the corner and I wanted to let all of you planning to come from out of town that I have secured a block of hotel rooms for a very reasonable price. Those of you who can double up and split expenses will really have a bargain! The West Texas Warbirds flagship hotel is the Quality Inn on I-27 near the South Loop 289 intersection. Their website is here:

http://www.qualityinn.com/hotel-lubb...nchild=0&map=n

The best plan of action would be to call them and ask for the West Texas Warbirds special reservation. They have agreed to hold the rooms until the 31st of July, so hurry. The room rates are $64.99 + Tax! Call them at 806-749-1090. Rooms are available for Thusday, Friday and Saturday night if you plan on traveling early and arriving Thursday. Friday and Saturday reservations are also accepted.

Remember, these are being held until the 31st of July only. Call early!

If I can help you in any way, please call!

Bryan McLarty
CD, West Texas Warbirds
Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 PM
airborneandlovingit

Hi guys. Well are you war bird jockies just straining against the bit to get your tails down here for some awesome, magnificent, incredible, stupendous, hair raising, chills up the back making, goose bump having, goose bumps on goose bumps having, intensely adrenalin pumping flying? Too many adjectives? I don't think so. Not if we're hosting the warbird event of all warbird events and you have the guts to make the trip to even try to keep up with us. Ha. Manfred Von Richthoven, step aside. WINGSmas is here and we're laying down the gauntlet for any who would take the challenge. My viewpoint is of course completely objective and unbiased. As the secretary for WINGSmas, it's my sworn obligation to remain completely neutral in all situations. All kidding aside. This is going to be an exceptional event. Everyone who can needs to make the trip. We've got special guests to grace us with their presence and some entertainment lined up for the Pilots Banquet that you will absolutely love. No hints. I wouldn't want to take the element of surprise away from you. We're all looking forward to it here, and looking forward to connecting with you all again.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Bryan McLarty

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Name:	Nl28803.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	1465003  
Old 07-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Spritch

Bryan...
After traveling to four events in a row... the Sooner Squad is getting harder and harder to corral here lately..!!! Holland is on the road almost daily and up to his neck with his job these last couple of weeks... but we are trying to get a handle on who and how many may be heading your way. Hopefully this weekend we can get enough of the gang in one spot to hammer out some plans. Best guess at this time would be Bill/Sharon, Jim & Calvin, hopefully me and maybe one or two more. Do APPRECIATE you getting a line on lodging...!!! That helps a LOT...!!
Will post more on the travelin' crew when I know more. Also... I haven't forgotten your request for my version of the WBOOK footage I shot in May... just too many alligators in the swamp... plus I'm basically lazy. If I get to make the trip (fingers crossed)... will just hand you a copy and save the postage.

Later...
-Stan
Old 07-23-2010, 03:33 PM
topguncj

West Texas Warbirds Bound is the cry from the Yellow Shirts of the Oklahoma Sooner Squadron. We are ready for some flying! Make sure you keep the fans turned down to a nice breeze! Sharon and I will be leading the way in our convoy from the north. Corsair is getting it's final tweeks and will be attending this year. Last year was a lot of fun and hope more warbird pilots attend. We will see you soon!
Bill
Old 07-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Bryan McLarty

I wanted to post a letter on behalf of Mark McCall, a local photo-artist here in Lubbock:

Hello RC enthusiasts.
Welcome to West Texas Warbirds!

My name is Mark McCall and I'm a warbird photographic artist.
We take high quality photos of real, toy and RC model aircraft and turn them into works of art.
We will be at the Warbird event looking for subjects for upcoming projects.
If you have an interesting aircraft, we want to visit with you.
We are interested in any WWI, WWII, Korea or Vietnam era aircraft as well as any current jet aircraft.
We are also interested in any civilian scale aircraft.

A photographic session of your aircraft takes only about 15 minutes and, if selected for use in one of our art pieces, you'll receive a 16x20 print of your plane stunningly recreated into a dogfight scene, takeoff, or landing sequence, at no charge.

Here's a look at some of our past pieces:
http://www.markmccallphotography.com...web/index.html

Write to use at [email protected].
Let us know what you have and if you'd like for us to pay you a visit at the fly-in.

Thanks again, and good flying!

Mark McCall

Bryan McLarty
President, Wingsmas
CD, West Texas Warbirds

P.S. Just as an example, I wanted to post a picture that Mark did after photographing B-17 'Milk Wagon' by Bret Bowling (B-17 freak) from Rowlett, TX. Bret attended West Texas Warbirds last year and was an award winner.

The photo on the left was Bret's aircraft in a regular fly-by picture.
The photo on the right is the final artwork done by Mark McCall after 15 min. photo shoot.

Name:	Ig12867.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1472956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32577.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1472957  
Old 07-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Bryan McLarty

ORIGINAL: Spritch

Bryan...
After traveling to four events in a row... the Sooner Squad is getting harder and harder to corral here lately..!!! Holland is on the road almost daily and up to his neck with his job these last couple of weeks... but we are trying to get a handle on who and how many may be heading your way. Hopefully this weekend we can get enough of the gang in one spot to hammer out some plans. Best guess at this time would be Bill/Sharon, Jim & Calvin, hopefully me and maybe one or two more. Do APPRECIATE you getting a line on lodging...!!! That helps a LOT...!!
Will post more on the travelin' crew when I know more. Also... I haven't forgotten your request for my version of the WBOOK footage I shot in May... just too many alligators in the swamp... plus I'm basically lazy. If I get to make the trip (fingers crossed)... will just hand you a copy and save the postage.

Later...
-Stan
Hello, Stan!

Great to hear from you!

We are really looking forward to hosting you fine lady and gentlemen again. Yes, I have a special request in with the Almighty for some really nice flying weather this year. Hopefully things will be mild and really nice. We're DUE!!!

I'm glad to be of help on the lodging reservations. Make sure everyone gets on the ball about calling the hotel and reserving a room. I only have them until the 31st of July! The hotel is a pretty nice place and is VERY close to our pilot's dinner location! Just for you, Stan! No, really. I took your feedback about the distance to the other place we used last year for our banquet and found something closer. We have a great surprise for everyone for the pilot's dinner. More info will be forthcoming.

Keep thinking positive thoughts about the weather! See you guys soon!

Bryan McLarty
President, Wingsmas
CD, West Texas Warbirds
The 2nd of the blue shirted, Five Horsemen of the Apocolypse from Lubbock
Old 07-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Bryan McLarty

Hey, Bill!

Great to hear from you too!

Glad Sharon is making the trip again. Say hello to her for me!
Man, I can't wait for a great weekend with you guys again! Should be fun as long as Morrow keeps his shirt on and doesn't bring that blow up kiddie pool to mud-wrestle the Carrillon adult daycare senior women again! That got waaaay out of hand last year! Yeecchhh!

Best of luck on your Corsair completion! I don't care if you have to take off and work 'round the clock to get it done! I wanna see it!

Take care...

Bryan

Name:	Tr50084.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1472966  
Old 07-25-2010, 06:37 AM
Bryan McLarty

Some more on the Pilot's Dinner:

This year's dinner will be held at the Scottish Rite Bldg. It is just a few blocks away from the WTW flagship hotel, the Quality Inn, near I-27 and South Loop 289.

Lynn Stevens from Cast Iron Grill Catering will be serving your choice of Rib Eye Steak or Pork Chop dinner with all the trimmings and homemade desserts! Lynn did our catering at the field last year and will be expanding his services this year to include our dinner Saturday night. The cost of the Pilot's Dinner is $18.00 per head and will include dinner and some special live entertainment that WTW Event Coordinator, Tom Wagner, has planned. He has informed me of some of the evening's highlights and it sounds like a GREAT time. We hope any of you bringing family members or pit crew for the event will include them in the evening's festivities. They are most certainly welcome!

Any of you attending out of town, please firm up your hotel reservations at the Quality Inn and let me know your head counts for the Pilots Dinner, PLEASE!

Bryan
Old 07-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Spritch

Bryan...

OK, OK... it wasn't ALL that far to the Pilot's feed last year... just seemed like it when it's all new territory to the new guy. I was in Lubbock about 35+ years ago... but I don't remember it being so full of stuff... and spread out to the horizon...!!! It just 'felt' like we were approaching the New Mexico border that evening...!!

As of this writing... rooms have been nailed down for Bill/Sharon, Jim/Calvin... and myself. We are working on one or two more at this time. So put down a minimum of 5 meal tickets for the OKSS gang. Hopefully we will have the others corraled up before the smoke clears.

PS... if you visit the website ( www.oksoonersquadron.org/ )... head for the photo page and then to the flickr photo hosting service (all hot linked at the website)... and look for the Chisholm Trail R/C Club (CTRCC - Wichita, KS) set of photos. You will get a peek a Bill/Sharon's new Corsair. They took it to Wichita for a static showing and still walked off with some trophies...!!! She IS a beaut...!!!

BTW... I missed the mud-wrestling...??? I must have been taking a nap during the gentle West Texas breeze that day.

-Stan

Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Bryan McLarty

Thanks, Stan!

That looked like a great time, too! You're right. She is a beauty. I can wait to get the close up view!

Bryan
Old 07-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Spritch

For the Lubbock gang and others following this thread... OK Sooner Squadron has now officially become interNet legit. After living on freebie server space for about 4 years... the Sooner Squad is now a dot org. So be sure to bookmark us with the new URL and if you have us linked on any websites... update the hot link to be...

www.oksoonersquadron.org/

The old netfirms.com URL will be dead within the year.

Later... see you guys in about a week and a half...
-Stan

Old 08-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Bryan McLarty

Hey everyone!
I just wanted to let ya'll know that you will NOT need to packyour rubber bootsfor West Texas Warbirds!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:50 PM
airborneandlovingit

Yeah guys! No rain. We'll be high and dry for West Texas Warbirds. Temps are supposed to be in the mid 90's on Saturday and Sunday with patchy clouds. Winds 10-12 mph out of the south so you couldn't ask for better conditions. Put the pedal to the medal boys and let's all rip the shies over West Texas a new one. Ha Ha.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Spritch

To the WINGS....

Well Boys... you did it again...!! The OK Sooner Squadron group had another great time...!!! The event itself was fun... but the feed AND the entertainment that night was off the scale...!!! If you're not careful... we are going to kidnap Lynn and his Cast Iron Grill truck and sneak it across the border..!!! I don't know what books you guy's have been studying... but the whole format this year was done like the pro's. Excellent job on all fronts... except for signing your name/rank/serial number to 30 raffle tickets...!!! We are going to work on that next year...!!!

All in all... we had enough fun to offset the miles to get there. Those of you who haven't given the WINGS Warbirds a try... get it on your calendar for next year... and that means you Terry and Gary...!! I'll get Bill to work on you two. And Bryan... many Thanks for getting the lodging set up as well as you did. That goes a LONG way in helping on a road trip.

Bryan and Les... tell the gang I posted my still shots on Flickr for all to enjoy. You can get to them off of the OK Sooner Squadron website at... http://www.oksoonersquadron.org/ look for the "photos' link.

See you guys next time... maybe even 'Sooner' (had to work that in) if we can get you up to our Jumbo the first weekend each June. Let's see if we can match you guy's for hospitality... because ya'll do it right.

good fun, good people, great food... Thanks guy's....

-Stan

Old 08-13-2010, 12:54 AM
airborneandlovingit

Hey Guys. We really enjoyed having you all here agian. You're a top notch club and we love having you. I'm glad you had a good time and now we have another year to think about how we're going to top this year. ABut be assured......we WILL top it. Hope you all had a safe trip back to sooner land and we look forward to flying with you at your place next year.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Spritch

Tom...

The Sooner Squad all got back in one piece... even left some money at the Big Texan (again) on the way home.

Got to admit that we were pretty impressed with way you handled the microphone all weekend. Wish I knew the gentleman's name at the pilot station(s) feeding you pilot and plane info on the headset as they geared up for their flights so I could give him name credit... but you two (or three) were doing a bang-up job. It makes it much more informative and fun for the visitor's and spectator's... and the pilot's as well, as you relay the info back to the crowd. That brings the crowd into the event and that's how it should be.

I can really tell a difference in the video I shot last year and then again this year in the 'style' of how much more fun it was this time. While it was a good event last year... it was X3 better this year. I'm guessing (since I've only visited twice) you saw a good system at work during your road visit... took it back home... tweaked it... and made it fit your club. That's the sign of a good, heads up, club at work... and WINGS knocked it out of the park this year..!!!

And I won't even go into the feed and floor show that night...!!! Icing on the cake.

Much impressed...
-Stan