RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/events-shows-fun-flys-airplanes-100/)
-   -   Oklahoma Dust Bowl Fly In for MS presented by HobbyKing.com, Sept. 16 & 17 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/events-shows-fun-flys-airplanes-100/10532893-oklahoma-dust-bowl-fly-ms-presented-hobbyking-com-sept-16-17-a.html)

surferdude3d 05-21-2011 11:48 AM

Oklahoma Dust Bowl Fly In for MS presented by HobbyKing.com, Sept. 16 & 17

Time to get rolling on this years event! This year, the events main/title sponser is http://www.hobbyking.com/
ODB3 will be September 16th and 17th 2011. At the airport, in Holdenville Oklahoma.
This event is a fund raiser for the MS society.
Friday will be for arrival of those who are camping or coming from a longer distance and want to stay the night. Practice and open flying etc.
Saturday will be the Fly In itself. This is the day we will be promoting. And this is when all the food, raffles etc will take place.
This event is a open to all types of aircraft, from small electric, glow, gas, helicopters, and even turbine jets.
This event takes place at the Holdenville airport, so there is plenty of runway, and air space.
We will have night flying, as well as indoor flying at the local high school gym.
This year, we already have more than $5000 dollars in raffle prizes to be given away, all for just the cost of $1.
Rest rooms, electricity, water, and WiFi on site, but no hook ups for RV's. Tent camping is OK, and hotels are close by.
There will be BBQ on site for lunch and diner, but food places are also close by.
Your cost, is a $10 landing fee, and as many $1 raffle tickets as you can buy, and the cost of food, lodging etc.
This is the third year for this event, and it just keeps getting bigger, and better.
Please post here if you have any questions.

warningshot 05-21-2011 11:53 AM

RE: Oklahoma Dust Bowl Fly In for MS presented by HobbyKing.com, Sept. 16 & 17

ORIGINAL: surferdude3d

Time to get rolling on this years event!
ODB3 will be September 16th and 17th 2011.
This event is a fund raiser for the MS society.
Friday will be for arrival of those who are camping or coming from a longer distance and want to stay the night. Practice and open flying etc.
Saturday will be the Fly In itself. This is the day we will be promoting. And this is when all the food, raffles etc will take place.
This event is a open to all types of aircraft, from small electric, glow, gas, helicopters, and even turbine jets.
This event takes place at the Holdenville airport, so there is plenty of runway, and air space.
We will have night flying, as well as indoor flying at the local high school gym.
This year, we already have more than $5000 dollars in raffle prizes to be given away, all for just the cost of $1.
Rest rooms, electricity, water, and WiFi on site, but no hook ups for RV's. Tent camping is OK, and hotels are close by.
There will be BBQ on site for lunch and diner, but food places are also close by.
This is the third year for this event, and it just keeps getting bigger, and better.
Please post here if you have any questions.
Holdenville is in Oklahoma. This year promises to be bigger and better than the first two. Make your plans now.

surferdude3d 05-21-2011 11:59 AM

Thaks Larry!
I'm not used to this site, it's not as easy to find things like it is on WattFlyer, or RCG.
I can't seem to figure out how to do a profile pic.

I did a few flips with the tricopter today, easy, no problem. Now I just need to figure out how make a camera mount that won't vibrate so much.

warningshot 05-21-2011 12:13 PM

Well try to help you out here. Had some rain yesterday so no flying today.

surferdude3d 05-21-2011 12:31 PM

With what we have, and what is commited, We have over $5000 of product so far. my goal is $8000+.

<font color="#ff0000">HobbyKing ($5000 worth of donations)
Castle Creations (50amp esc, 80amp esc, field link,) </font>
<font color="#ff0000">Dynamic Balsa and Hobby ($50 gift certificates) </font>
<font color="#ff0000">B&amp;E Graphix, ($40 gift certificate) </font>
<font color="#ff0000">Aeroworks, (ARF Model worth $275)</font>
<font color="#ff0000">BSI adhesives, (Said, will ship adhesives)</font>
<font color="#ff0000">Majortominski, (Great Planes Patriot XL prop jet)</font>
<font color="#ff0000">Venom group (Nitro models,Hobbypartz, Xheli), (2 ARF P-47's, hawk sky glider) </font>
<font color="#ff0000">T&amp;J models, (will send one of their models, when we get closer to the event)</font>
<font color="#ff0000">Syssa Aircraft, (30cc engine $430)</font>
<font color="#ff0000">Tru Turn, (Hats,<span style="color: #ff0000">coupons,</span> banner)</font>
<font color="#ff0000">Eagle Tree Systems, ($50 coupons)</font>
<font color="#ff0000">RcFoam.com ($50 Depron Jumbo pack)</font>
<font color="#ff0000">Master Air Screw ( Prop assortment)</font>
<font color="#ff0000">RTL Fasteners (20% off coupon)</font>
<font color="#ff0000">Hobby Town of Tulsa (donation commitment)
Zaerotech (3 slope soar plane kits)</font></p>

<font color="#000000">For a $10 landing fee, and $1 raffle tickets, you could walk away with hundreds of dollars worth of new R/C gear.</font></p>

<font color="#000000">We have to remember this is a fund raiser for the MS Society, and Wes, as well as a fun time to get together and fly.</font></p>

Please tell all of your LHS's, and your Local clubs about the event. The more pilots we have, the more money we raise.</p>

This is a reposting from page 3. I will continue to update it, and repost it about every 4 pages, so that new people to the thread will see it.</p>

westlya 05-21-2011 02:09 PM

Thanks Brett and Larry!
Here are some pictures from last year's event.   As you can see there was a wide range of types  and sizes of aircraft and flying.
And a lot of prizes were one in the raffle.  Just ask Larry! He and others got some great stuff!

And this year looks like it is going to be better then the first two years combined!  Due in part to the hard work Brett has put into getting donations.

I want everyone to know that all types of aircraft are welcome.  Be it glow, electric,turbine or muscle power!  If it flies it is welcome!
Camping at the airport where it is held is permitted and there is no cost.  In the air conditioned terminal are restrooms and even showers!

The airport is a former WW2 training base and several vintage airplanes are in the hanger.
Feel free to ask here or by email if you have any questions.

Wes

westlya 05-25-2011 08:12 AM

The money to pay for the shirts and hats has been donated and in my possession.
So they WILL happen for sure.
Wes

westlya 05-27-2011 09:05 AM

Brett,
We would be interested in donating one of our 30cc engines to your event.
We can also give you a nice display stand to show a display model.

Syssa Aircraft Performance LLC
772 North Colony Road
Building 7
Meriden, CT USA 06450
http://www.syssaaircraft.com/
http://www.syssaaircraft.net/cart/pc..._823_large.jpg

I just received word that this engine has shipped and should be here in a few days!

warningshot 05-27-2011 11:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A few of the raffel items.

westlya 05-28-2011 08:57 AM

Oklahoma Dust Bowl Fly In for MS Research
Presented by Hobby King
!
I was approached a short time ago by hobbyking.com and they said they would like to be the title sponsor of the fly in.
They are as excited as we are about the event. And want to help us grow the event and make it bigger and better.

There is a LOT more news that goes along with this. So stay tuned in the coming days for more details!

westlya 06-01-2011 06:10 AM

Ok I have a question for those who are going to be at the event.
Besides BBQ from Rib Town.. What other food (if any) would you like to have at the fly in?
I was told that a local place is interested in bringing home made Tamales to the event.
Does that appeal?
Oh Daylight Doughnuts is giving us goodies for Saturday Morning for the pilots!
Wes

westlya 06-01-2011 07:58 PM

Hobby king and the other sponsors are really stepping up this year. we are going to have a LOT of great prizes. And I will post as more comes in with pictures.
What I want to ask is that we go ALL OUT to promote the event. We need a large turn out of people to make this work out the best for raising cash to donate.
we don't want to give away $10,000 worth of prizes and only donate $1500.00.
We have a real chance to do this year BIG so lets not blow the chance!

Tell anyone you can about the fly in. And that they will kick them selves if the miss it.
There are lakes etc in the area if they do not want to spend the whole time at the airport. shoot there is even a pond with fish in it near the airport!

I am asking this as a big favor. help us promote this event.
You will NOT be sorry!
Wes

westlya 06-02-2011 12:44 PM

With all the recent developments we need to set a date for a planning meeting.
Date suggestions?

Oh I am stil working on art work for the back of the shirts. I could sure use some help!
I am thinking jets this time. I kind of like progressions. So I was thinking something like an F80,F104 and F22.
Thoughts? I would really appreciate suggestions and art work submissions.
It needs to be in black only no colors and line art.

Wes

westlya 06-03-2011 12:03 PM

I am working now on a preregistration form that I am going to upload as a PDF here on rcg and rcu.
This will let those who want to to print it out fill it out and mail it with their landing fee.

I am also going to set up a form on the official fly in site where you can do the same thing online and paypal your landing fee.

And finally I am going to do the same thing both ways for the pilots package. That will consist of a T shirt,Hat,koozie and raffle tickets.

Also on the site a person can donate money to be added to the MS fund we are going to donate. And also allow anyone who wants to help with expenses of the fly in to donate for that too.

I hope this helps.
Wes

surferdude3d 06-05-2011 01:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
<div id="post_message_18421556">I flew with the Turf Flyers club in Tulsa Saturday, and talk to Dave Kester, one of the main turbine pilots. I gave him the info, and flyer for the event, and posted a copy in the club house. A copy is also posted at the Glue Dobbers club.
Here is a few pics of Dave's jet.
</div><! / message ><! attachments >

westlya 06-05-2011 04:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I attached a pdf of a letter that Brett wrote that you can use to help spread the word about this year's fly in.
You can save it and print it.
It has links etc with plenty of information .
So I hope he brings that beauty to the fly in! Very sharp model!
Wes

westlya 06-06-2011 06:48 AM

Hobby King has put our flyer and a link to the site for the fly in on their facebook page.

they also put it on their twitter page. And are preparing a video for youtube making the announcement as well.

Sure sounds like great news!
Wes

westlya 06-06-2011 10:18 AM

Preregistration is now open and up on the first page of the fly in site!

westlya 06-06-2011 06:38 PM

So I was taking a look at the tentative list of what is going to be shipped from HK.....
You like scale? Covered! Sailplanes? Covered! How about edf? Got you covered there too!
Like your airplane made of wood? Got that too!
Can't post the list but once it is conformed ( stock levels come into play) I will post them.

Time to make sure you have money for raffle tickets!

westlya 06-07-2011 04:22 PM

When you are ordering from any of our sponsors or even browsing their websites let them know you  are glad to see them helping with the fly in.

They are spending money to help us with the fly in. I think they all deserve our support since they are supporting us!

It is hard for them to know if we do not tell them!

Wes

westlya 06-08-2011 08:12 AM

hobbyking.com now has a video on youtube promoting the fly in.

westlya 06-09-2011 02:04 PM

<div class="smallfont"> News Coverage. </div> <hr style="color: rgb(167, 167, 167); background-color: rgb(167, 167, 167);" size="1"/> <div id="post_message_18461112"> We can now add another newspaper to our event media coverage.
The Seminole Producer is going to be doing some articles about the fly in too.
We are also still going to be in the Holdenville New also. </div>

westlya 06-10-2011 02:13 PM

<div class="smallfont"> More airplanes..... </div> <hr style="color: rgb(167, 167, 167); background-color: rgb(167, 167, 167);" size="1"/> <div id="post_message_18470215"> Thanks to the efforts of Don our hobbyking.com friend we have more planes coming.
Take a look at these designs by Zaerotech one of each of these designs is being donated tot the fly in.
I think they look pretty darn sharp myself!
Thanks Zaerotech!

Wes </div>

westlya 06-10-2011 03:05 PM

meeting <hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"/> <div id="post_message_815011"> Oh by the way for all those who are going to be at the planning meeting. Or even thinking about it..... There will be some munchies and non adult beverages. </div>

westlya 06-13-2011 04:09 PM

To be sure everyone knows about it and how to find it.  HERE is a link to our official website for the fly in!

Wes