RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/events-shows-fun-flys-airplanes-100/)
-   -   WARBIRDS OVER OKLAHOMA 2010 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/events-shows-fun-flys-airplanes-100/9063743-warbirds-over-oklahoma-2010-a.html)

chris2fly77 05-16-2010 11:19 PM

RE: WARBIRDS OVER OKLAHOMA 2010

Steve,

i would like to thank you for putting on a great event i had a blast. i know you and your crew worked very hard had alot of hours in and alot of planning. I think that this was the best event i have ever been too flight line ran very well no real problems all day. Again thank you see you on the flightline at Westside SSG Evans out.

Howard Davidson 05-17-2010 06:04 AM

As with the previous posts.............I'd like to thank ALL of you who made the El Reno event a success. I had a great time and got some needed R&R for a few days and came home in a good mood and spirit. You guys are the best and it's nice to be able to stay home and not have to run half-way across the country for a great event. I do have one gripe that I'm sure Steve and Bill are already working on for next year.......................not enough wind:-) See ya'll 'round the fly-ins the next few months. Take care.

Howard Davidson
Sallisaw, OK

WARBIRDRCER 05-17-2010 10:41 PM

Chris and Howard,

The Warbirds Over Oklahoma Team members thank you for attending. Bill and I have been receiving e-mails and calls thanking us for the weekend. Howard, I will put in the request for some wind next year.:D I told Hawaii Jim on our trip to St Louis, MO today he had to be here next year because he is my good luck weather guy. [8D]

Again, Thanks to all for attending.

WARBIRDRCER 05-22-2010 09:51 PM

Warbirds Over Oklahoma team members and attendee’s,

Thanks for helping fill the skies over El Reno, OK with aircraft from the past and present. Ken Isaac, AKA RCUKen was there with his video equipment in hand, and Larry Kruse from Flying Models was also there. Keep checking RCU Magazine for our coverage, and keep an eye open at your local hobby shop for your copy of Flying Models.
Also keep checking back from time to time for updates for Warbirds Over Oklahoma 2011. We have another fun event scheduled. Terry Farmer of Wylie Warbirds is sponsoring the 2011 Best in Show trophy. For more info on what Terry has to offer you for your Warbird, visit him at www.wyliewarbirds.com

Thanks,

Flight Leader
Warbirds Over Oklahoma

jwrich 05-23-2010 08:02 PM

I must say, if you missed the War Birds Over Oklahoma event you missed an excellent show. The flight line was the best run flying control I have ever seen. Bill & Sharron Holland and their crew were superb, they maintained control and still everyone had a chance to fly without fear of an accident. Bill did a wonderful job bringing this event in as one of the best events in the country, his "Top Gun" experience was clearly evident.

To list all the beautiful airplanes is impossible, I am sure there will be photos of the event displaying the excellent workmanship of these aircraft. I was told there were over 90 pilots signed up for this event, which was awesome considering the weather forecasts.

I would to thank all the pilots who voted for my Balsa USA 1/4 scale Fokker D VII as "Pilot Choice". There was just so many magnificent airplanes flying and on display. I am truly humbled an grateful, thanks again.

I am ready for next year
Rich

tfarmer96 05-23-2010 08:05 PM

Hey Rich are your going to Arkansas next month?

jwrich 05-24-2010 10:27 AM

Yes, there are several of us going to Eureka Springs. This will be my third trip, it is a lot of fun, just a relaxing fun weekend of flying. We stay at the Country Mountain Inn, very nice & reasonably priced. Here is there Web Site http://www.dawnpatrolsquadron.com/warbirds.htm . Hope you can make it. Bill & Sharron and some of their friends from their club are attending as well. Come and join us.
You posted some great pictures of the War Birds Over Oklahoma.
Keep'em Flyin'
Rich

tfarmer96 05-24-2010 10:34 AM

Thanks. Gary Mills and myself will be there for sure.

jwrich 05-24-2010 11:16 AM

Hey that's great, try to get a room at the Country Mountain Inn, we like to sit around the outside area with a few beers. Sometimes I think that the best part.

Rich

WARBIRDRCER 05-25-2010 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WARBIRDS OVER OKLAHOMA 2010

WARBIRDRCER 05-25-2010 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)

WARBIRDRCER 05-25-2010 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)

More Photos to Follow.

Bryan McLarty 05-30-2010 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Steve!

That was really classy. Its also nice to put some names with some faces.

I hope that all of you realize that you are invited to West Texas Warbirds in August!
Mark it on your calendars and check out the info on www.wingsmas.org!

cgage5 05-31-2010 09:01 PM

Steve, My Grandson and I had a great time at Warbirds Over Oklahoma. I hope to see you next year. If you can come to Copan Model Air Park on June 19-20, 2010 for the
Bartlesville Falcons Big Bird Fly In. www.bartlesvillefalcons.com Thanks again for a great time. Clyde G.

WARBIRDRCER 06-04-2010 11:36 AM

Attention all Warbirds Over Oklahoma pilots:
Scramble! Scramble! Scramble!

Couldn’t resist this after the Scramble! Scramble! Scramble!

The Lubbock, TX guys, AKA, The 5 horsemen of the apocalypse are hosting the West Texas Warbirds Fly-in scheduled for August 6-8, 2010 in Abernathy, TX. They requested we scramble with them.

Mission Plan:

Depart Oklahoma City area on or before 08-06-2010 on a Southwest heading stopping for required fuel and relief only. Depending on winds aloft we should arrive in 8.0 hours + or – 1 hour depending on departure delays at required stops. If planning on formation, or in trail travel, a departure briefing will be required before leaving Oklahoma Airspace. This is a volunteer mission, but participation and coordination would lead to a successful mission.

Looking forward to our next flights,

Thank you all for making WARBIRDS OVER OKLAHOMA 2010 a success.

Thanks,

Steve Keesey

For more on Warbirds Over Oklahoma 2010 see RCKen's Thread at:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97..._1/key_/tm.htm

WARBIRDRCER 06-04-2010 05:47 PM

I want to thank all who attended and made this event the success it was; I also want to thank the entire Warbird Team. Mostly people hear my name or Bill’s, but there are many others who made this event possible.

Special Thanks to the Warbirds Over Oklahoma Team:

City of El Reno – Event Planning and Support Team
El Reno Convention Center and visitors Bureau
Rick Mullaney - Air Field Operations Officer (Airport Manager)
Steve Keesey – Founder, CD, Planning Team, Event Lead (PIC)
Bill & Sharon Holland – Planning Team and Flight Line Officers (SIC)
Michael Scott - Balloon Activity Team Lead
Terry Dewitte - Full Scale ATC Control Team
Tom O'Connor - Full Scale ATC Control Team
George Waldrop - Full Scale ATC Control Team
Marty Weaver - Youth Activity Team
Ray Roberts - Fund Raiser Booth, Registration Teams
Eddie Cannon - Video Team
Michael Deloney - Fund Raiser Booth, Registration Teams
Katie Ha - Fund Raiser Booth, Registration Teams
John Giles - Advertisement Team
Brad Homer - Ground Control Team
Boyd Maser - Registration and FOD Teams
Andy Snow - Flight Line Assist and Youth Activity Teams
Al Taffs - Registration and Fund Raiser Teams
Matt Harms - Gate and Ground Control Teams
Dean Humphrey - Photo and Video Team
Dave Lapham - Fund Raiser Booth, Registration Teams
Kevin Lapham - Fund Raiser Booth, Registration Teams
Steve Iraggi - Youth Activity, Gate Duty, Fund Raiser Booth Teams
Scott Byers - Youth Activity, Gate Duty, Fund Raiser Booth Teams
Richard Dixon - Aircraft Recovery Team
Phil Hempfling - Flight Line Team
Greg & Terri Ward - Event Sound Team
Stan Pritchard - Video Team
Jim Hein - Registration, Fund Raiser, Youth Activity Teams
Jim Bennett - Fund Raiser Sponsor Team
Harry Weatherford - Youth Activity Team
Metro Tech Aviation Career Center – Youth Activity Team
Oklahoma University Flight Department - Youth Activity Team
USAF Recruiting Office, El Reno, OK - Youth Activity Team
Larry Kruse - Flying Models
Ken Isaac - RCU
FAA N-34 DC-3/C-47 Crew

Door Prize Team:

Bad Brads Graphics
Premier Pilots
Nelson Hobbies
Dynamic Balsa
Wylie Warbirds
Balsa USA
Ziroli
Realm of Hobbies
Pilot Plaques provided by FTE and ZAP

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...#ixzz0pxLJH57g

Thank You
Steve Keesey
Flight Leader/CD
Warbirds Over Oklahoma

WARBIRDRCER 06-06-2010 08:42 PM

Warbird Friends,

The first flight on the Byron P-40 is complete. Hope to travel with this one. The plane came in at 28 lbs, powered by a DA-50 developing 25 lbs of thrust. First two attempted take-offs ended on the nose as soon as power was applied. Since the plane taxied better in high rate, 130% servo travel instead of it’s low rate setting of 50% servo travel, I decided to start at full aft elevator. As power came in I allowed the plane to accelerate while relaxing aft elevator. Once it was on the roll, at near zero elevator input it transitioned to a nice flight level attitude. By this time full power was in and it flew off of the ground cleanly.

Balanced at 4 inches aft of the leading edge at the fuselage as Iron Bay had recommended, gear retracted in the inverted position I might add, it balanced level. When gear was extended I was quite nose heavy, so as soon as it cleared the runway I selected gear up. At this point it only took slight down elevator trim, and a touch of left aileron trim to fly hands off.

Now was my gear and flap extension test. First I applied gear down. No major change except for the expected nose heavy change. However when I applied the first 15 degrees of flaps it almost was back in trim. Last stage of flaps, now 30 degrees it created enough pitch up that it now was back in full trim.

Retracted both gear and flaps, made one low pass, and set up for my first landing approach. With ¼ to ½ throttle the plane set up on a nice stable approach with no adverse effect. All in all with a 45 to 90 degree variable crosswind at 10 MPH the plane touched down slightly crabbed, but smooth.

Vary enjoyable flight with one fine bird. This one is a keeper.

Looking forward to many more flights.

Thanks for the lead to Iron Bay.

Enjoy the video:

http://rcuvideos.com/video/P-40-Kittyhawk-Flight

Warbirdrcer
aka: Flight Leader
Warbirds Over Oklahoma

WARBIRDRCER 06-22-2010 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
jwrich,

Seen your aircraft in the MA News today. I have to tell you I enjoy watching it fly. You make it look very scale.

Maybe one day you will let me fly your wing with my Tri-Plane.

jwrich 06-22-2010 10:22 PM

I would like that, the Tri-Plane and the D VII should look great flying together. You should go the Eureka Springs Ar. Dawn Patrol event with us next year.

I was surprised to see my D VII on the first page of the article. They did a very nice job writing up the event. The Dayton Dawn Patrol is the top event for me, I really enjoy going. It is a fantastic three days

Thanks
Rich

Spritch 06-25-2010 05:12 PM

Hey Rich... Congrats on the Fokker D.VII getting some PR. It's a good lookin' plane and well deserves being in the article. That gathering in Dayton looks better every time I see something on it. BTW... how's the ribs...??? Missed you at the Arkansas evening fire-pit gathering Sat. night... but your running buddy kept the flame going. Dallas is one good ol' boy. Really enjoyed his stories..!!

-Stan

Spritch 06-25-2010 05:20 PM

Clyde... The Sooner Squadron had a good time at your Big Bird last weekend..!!! Good people, good field and GREAT chow...!!! I finally got to put names to some faces I've been seeing over the years. You guys did a bang-up job. Thanks...!!!

-Stan

jwrich 06-25-2010 06:21 PM

Thanks for the nice words Stan, The Dayton Dawn Patrol is must attend event. You should make plans to go Sept. 2011.

The ribs are finally beginning to feel better. Man I won't do that again, very painful. My buddy Dallas is great to have on a trip, he does keep yo laughing.

See at the next event
Rich

cgage5 06-25-2010 09:45 PM

Thanks Stan, It was hot, but everyone that came made it a success. I'm going to WarBirds Over Green Country at the Turf Flyers in the morning.

Howard Davidson 06-26-2010 04:51 PM

Stan,

Where the heck do you have all those pictures stored you've been taking the last two months? Good to see you guys again at Broken Arrow.

Howard Davidson

sailing1 06-27-2010 08:45 AM

Thanks to everyone that showed up at our first Warbirds Over Green Country Fly In yesterday. We had 49 registered pilot and lots of flying.

Many thanks to those who showed up to support the Blue Star Mothers of Broken Arrow. Our fund raiser was a big success.

I will try and post pictures later this week.

Ken West