RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Events, Shows and Fun Flys - Airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/events-shows-fun-flys-airplanes-100/)
-   -   WARBIRDS OVER OKLAHOMA 2010 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/events-shows-fun-flys-airplanes-100/9063743-warbirds-over-oklahoma-2010-a.html)

WARBIRDRCER 09-02-2009 03:50 AM

WARBIRDS OVER OKLAHOMA 2010

1 Attachment(s)
WARBIRDS OVER OKLAHOMA 2010 (May 14-16, 2010)

The Military & Vintage Aircraft Association (AMA Charter) welcomes you to Warbirds Over Oklahoma.

Warbirds Over Oklahoma 2010 Post was started to allow Radio Control Warbird pilots & builders a chance to share information and photos of the aircraft they are building and/or plan to bring to the May 14 through 16, 2010 fly-In. For the last 5 years this event has been hosted at the AMA club field of the Westside RC Flyers, Yukon, OK. The 2009 event was attended by 65 pilots and about 80 aircraft. Due to the growth of this event, the need for more room, and the addition of a hard surface runway the May 14-16, 2010 Fly-In will be held at the City of in El-Reno, Oklahoma Airport.

My name is Steve and I am the founder and CD of Warbirds Over Oklahoma. This event is sponsored by the Oklahoma Museum Of Flying, www.oklahomamuseumofflying.org and they have opened this show each year with fly-bys with their full scale warbirds based at the museum. We also conduct a warbird static display at the museum each year to increase the knowledge of this event. One main differance about this RC event is there is never a landing fee. Each year during Armed Forces Day weekend we conduct this event to honor our former and current Military Personnel, so please plan to attend our next, and all future events. Also I want to thank RCU for providing a place for us to share our projects and for supporting our hobby/sport.

WARBIRDRCER 09-02-2009 04:10 AM

RE: WARBIRDS OVER OKLAHOMA 2010

1 Attachment(s)
Photos: 1) Static Display, 2) Warbirds Second In Command & Flight Line Commander during AD-5 Skyraider ride. 3) Warbirds Founder and Event CD during AD-5 Skyraider ride.

WARBIRDRCER 09-02-2009 04:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay lets get started.

RE: Charlie Kellogg AD-5 scratch build project by Steve.

Shippment arrived early August 2009 in great shape for my son and I, Great pack job by Mr. Kellogg, HIGH Quality Workmanship, (I only hope my build can do these fine components justice), AD-5 cowling size-up, Bill's Moki 250 is to small for this one, but to big for the other, but I can always dream of a 150 right.

WARBIRDRCER 09-02-2009 04:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
WARBIRDRCER in for Buck, 1/4 Scale Stearman Scratch build

Early in the 2009 season, a friend Buck, 85 years old from the Westside RC Flyers invited me to learn what scratch building was really all about. Now I have built and repaired kits, assembled ARFs, you know what I am talking about. How hard could this be. Get a set of plans, cut some wood or buy a short kit, come on it sound like a scratch to me. Once I arrived at Buck's house I came to learn what scratch building was[X(], at least how Buck defined it :D. We started with raw 2x4 spruce boards, 4x8 sheets of lite ply, several stacks of balsa sheeting inside of what looked like a cabnet shop. However, before the end of the week we had cut a short kit from that stack of wood. :)
It amazed me how much one can learn from a builder like Buck in such a short time. In a few short weeks he had the fuselage formers in place, started the stringer installation, and built up the wings to a rough-in finish. Later Buck fell and broke his hip and ended up in an assisted living center. [&o] The following photos show Buck's handy work up to our/his stopping point. :eek:

WARBIRDRCER 09-02-2009 06:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Page 2: WARBIRDRCER in for Buck, 1/4 Scale Stearman Scratch build

Fuselage Framing photos:

RPRCBuilder 09-11-2009 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1/4 Scale scratch build Stearman project continued By: RPRCBuilder

WARBIRDRCER, Here are some photos of the Stearman projectstarted by you and Buck. Currently the wings are being set and the center section and tail sectionis being completed.

RPRCBuilder

WARBIRDRCER 09-11-2009 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
RPRCBuilder,

The Stearman looks great. Below is a photo of a friends full scale Stearman I am going to finish this one after. How do you like the colors? The colors are US Navy. Thought this would be a good change for a Stearman. While visiting my friend we took a flight in his T-6 Texan. I told him we were coming back to take detail photos of the Stearman.

Ed 09-11-2009 10:22 PM

Could you please give us some further details on your May 14 - 16, 2010 event, and possably a photo shot of the paved runway that I will be using, if I decide to come ?

Thank you.

Ed

WARBIRDRCER 09-12-2009 01:09 AM

Updated 09/13/2009

Ed,

The airport host is allowing camping on site. There are no hook-ups, showers, etc., but there is parking for motorhomes, campers, and grass for tents if one so chooses.
There will be Friday and Friday evening activities for everyone. Currently we are planning a youth aviation career program, full scale warbird static displays, RC Military aircraft flight demos, possible full scale aerobatic act, and an evening full scale balloon glow following an event partisipant dinner.

There will be scheduled open flying Friday and we will have an area set-up in one of the large hangers for RC static displays and these aircraft can stay overnight in the hanger for Saturday's main event.

Speaking of Saturday, we will start off the morning with a WWI Dawn Patrol, followed by our opening events. We are scheduling for 6 pilot stations and 2 to 3 starting areas.

The taxiway is our actual runway. It is 35 feet wide and we are prepairing a 30 foot wide 800 foot grass runway along side of the taxiway. we are marking the/our 800 foot "runway" boundries with chalk lines for a referance, but if one lands 400 feet short of the chalk line, or 600 feet long and hot of the chalk line no problem, the taxiway and grass will continue another 1500 feet beyond our markings to the North and 4000 feet to the South. As long as one keeps their aircraft stright down the taxiway or grass they will not run out of runway before they stop. There are no taxi lights to worry about and the markers will be removed prior to the fly-in.

Overnights will again be allowed on Saturday evening for Sunday flying, but if someone wants to remain Sunday for a Monday departure, this is also allowed.

4 miles from the airport there is about everything one needs. Hotels, food, Wal-mart, shopping, movies, golf course, and a lake with camping/boating/fishing.

As for photos, I will get some posted.

Be sure to post some shots and list some info on the aircraft you or others may bring.

Thanks,
Steve

WARBIRDRCER 09-12-2009 01:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Along with the full scale L-39 form the Oklahoma Museum Of Flying, I will be sporting the museum's SkyMaster L-39 powered by a JetCat 120SE along with some of my other military aircraft.

WARBIRDRCER 09-13-2009 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
RPRCBuilder,

Thanks for the build you did for the TaliMena Kid on the Top Flight P-51 B-Model conversion. Attached are photos of your project and I received the fiberglass cloth from Ziroli to start the finishing job.

topguncj 09-13-2009 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Big Corsair to attend Warbirds Over Oklahoma 2010!! This is a CARF 1:4.5 scale masterpiece. It is the complete package with outstanding detail by the CARF team. I will be powering with the Moki 250cc radialand will turna large3-blade prop with scale hub from Solo Props.Itwill have a folding wing mechanism anda complete cockpitkit from Dynamic Balsa. I am on my way and plan to paint this fall. Here are few photos of the project.

jwrich 09-16-2009 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys I am excited to hear about the expanned War Birds Over Oklahoma event. Members of my club, SPADS RC Club of Enid. OK, have attended this event the past five years ansd each year it gets better. The guys of the Westside RC Flyers do a super job hosting this event. We travel to many events around Ok, Tx, Ks, Ar and Dayton Ohio andd this event is always on the top of our scheudle. I'll post some pictures of the aircraft our group has flown at this event, it may take a couple posts. Once I remember how to upload pictures.
Rich

jwrich 09-16-2009 11:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey it worked! These are pictures of my Balsa USA 1/4 scale Fokker D-VII and Balsa USA 1/4 scale Sopwith Pup, I also built a Pup for my friend Dallas at the same time. These are the planes we will take to Dayton Ohio next week.

WARBIRDRCER 09-20-2009 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
jwrich,

Good to here from you. The photos look great. At sun-up on Saturday May 15 we are going to start Warbirds Over Oklahoma with a WWI Dawn Patrol. I plan on flying my Tri-Plane with the group. Try to stur up more WWI pilots for this event.

Steve

topguncj 09-20-2009 11:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Big Beautiful Doll to make appearanceat Warbirds Over Oklahoma 2010. Seen here in a photo pass at the Ponca City Airport. Wow..this is actually my Top Flite ARF 1/5th scale Mustang powered with a DA-50. This photo was taken by Tom Auerbach from the Ponca City EAA chapter. He isan avid aviator and does a great job with his camera. He posted this photo on AVwebb.com. The Doll has a full scale cockpit from Dynamic Balsa. Really adds to the plane.

Ed 09-20-2009 11:35 PM

The sound of all of those "Demo's" is scaring me. I'm not making over a 2000 mile round trip to watch Demo's. I come to fly, not watch. Sorry. [:o]

Ed

topguncj 09-21-2009 09:10 AM

Ed,
There will lots of open flying time. This event is for the pilots. Our team philosophy is that the pilots attending this event are "<u>THE SHOW"</u>. We all have attended meets where you sit and watch a lot due to all of the flight demos and know this is not fun.

The Dawn Patrol WWI is an open flying event that starts Saturday morning with the first light of dawn. Anyone who wants to join these early birds to fly is welcome. The Dawn Patrol squadrons have really increased in size thanks to all of the great WWI kits and ARFs out now, especially since the movie Flyboys was released.

We will have some noon time demos and a chance for the spectators to see all of the aircraft. The full scale fly-bys will take just a few minutes and is well worth the drive to see the Miss America up close and hear that Merlin engine roar. The Friday evening events are after all the flight lines are closed. We'll have a schedule of events to post in early 2010. The flying site allows the pilots to face the west which allows us to start flying very early without issues with the sun. Our goal is to make this event one of the premier R/C pilots events.As mentionedin earlier posts, the attendance has increased each year and everyone leaves with plenty of stick time.We welcome any suggestions or ideas to incorporate into our planning. [8D]
Bill</p>

WARBIRDRCER 09-21-2009 03:19 PM

Ed,

Sorry if there has been a misunderstanding. This is as topguncj stated. It is an RC event with a touch of full scale warbirds. I understand your concern of traveling to fly and not having the chance, but I can tell you, you will have all of the flying time you want. All partisipants will have a chance to fly during all open flying. During the day we will have WWI, WWII, 50's - 70's, and modern military aircraft flights. Any pilot who wants to join in on any or all of these groups and fill the sky with that era aircraft are welcome.
In the past we had a flier from the far Northwest corner of New Mexico, Farmington, NM attend and he always was glad to have been here. By the way, where is Bemis, NM. By goggle maps it appears to be North of Albuquerque.

Ed 09-21-2009 09:41 PM

" We'll have a schedule of events to post in early 2010. "

If your 2010 spring schedule doesn't show the field being shut down for too many Demo's, then there is a very good chance that I will be there. But CD's and event organizers should be aware, that for most attending pilots, Demo's are a PITA.

Ed

Don Perry 10-01-2009 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I can't wait to hear Miss America and be around airplanes all day. Noon demos are short and usually keep the sky filled while people are eating lunch.

I'll be there with some of my Jets and Heli's

WARBIRDRCER 10-01-2009 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Don,

Look forward to having you back for the 6th year. Here are some landing shots of your SkyRaider during Warbirds 2009 at the Westside RC flying field.

WARBIRDRCER

WARBIRDRCER 10-05-2009 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
jwrich,

How were things in Ohio? Post some pics for us to see.
Attached is the flyer for Warbirds 2010. Please spread the word.

Thanks,

WARBIRDRCER/Steve

WARBIRDRCER 10-05-2009 05:29 PM

Ed,

Here you go buddy.

Hope to see you here. If you miss it you will regret it.
How about some of those aircraft pics.

WARBIRDRCER

WARBIRDRCER 10-14-2009 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
RPRCBuilder,

Thanks for all of the build work. The Stearman looks great. Looking forward to us flying it.

WARBIRDRCER