Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Where can i find a used F2C Diesel ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 04:47 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Where can i find a used F2C Diesel ?

In some model diesel engines they used bronze contra-pistons before. Even some had copper ends on them too. iron contra-pistons existed as well. They did that mostly to help keep heat in the engine better on the little engines.
Usually though, the diesel head is all aluminum with a aluminum contra-piston on the model engines.

The old Taipan performance diesel engines were probably the ones to beat years ago for high RPMs. The Russians though have some high-perf model diesel engines for FAI competition that can rev way up there. But they are expensive in that category.
The Russian Cyclon engine comes to mind first, maybe the FORA's too. Also years ago there were a few Russian folks who custom made engines in very small numbers for their team to use in competition then too.
Cyclon engines http://www.rusengines.ru/?lang=en

cyclon combat diesel engine

Here is a thread about a 22cc McCulloch diesel conversion. In this case the contra piston is actually in the top of the cylinder on the engine and the diesel head holds the adjusting screw for controlling the contra piston.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1855141/tm.htm
Another thought is the fuel, if you are using little to no ether in the fuel to run the engine with, the air/fuel ratio starts to be more like a gasoline engine, so you can use a Walbro carb to good effect then.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:00 AM
yamaha74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome ! ...thanks for the info. Looks like some of those small CL diesels rev to 35,000+ rpm !
..and luckily, i found a 43 inch long mono RC boat at the local landfill site that somebody had just
thrown away ( ??? ) . ...maybe i can mod it to diesel too .

It has a Mitsubishi T110 23cc gas weedeater engine that seems to run fine.

I asked the guys at the local boat pond if they had ever seen this boat before, and they said yes,
but the guy who had it could'nt get it to run right ! After tearing the engine apart, it all looked in good shape,
with good compression. The pipe he was running was just a piece of straight tube, and it had a couple holes
in the header elbow that were wide open....most likely why it would'nt run right ? ! ...so he threw it away !

Odd how diesels dont seem to need torun tuned pipes though ?

most 2 strokes seem to benefit from running a proper tuned pipe, but as explained in the link below
diesels are a lot different

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10142798

Old 05-29-2011, 01:06 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a compression ignition engine, when the tuned pipe comes into resonance, the compression increases. So you have to back off the compression screw to compensate, else the engine winds up being over compressed which obviously isn't good.
Actually it does work, it is just a hassle as you have to run the engine with a lower compression so that when it comes up on the pipe then the compression would work out correctly without being overly compressed. Which in some cases winds up being a problem if you can't get the engine to rev up high enough to come up on the pipe without having to dial in compression with the adjuster screw.
So it is more tricky with the compression ignition engines.
If I remember some Free Flight guys used it as well as some of the speed control line folks. But is wasn't very popular and the competition rules might have eliminated them later too.