Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Flooding disaster in Australia to all

Old 01-12-2011, 06:26 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flooding disaster in Australia to all

I (we and sure all the folks on the site) Hope you, your family and friends are all ok with this terrible natural event in the land of "down under" martin
Old 01-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Diesel Die-hard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flooding disaster in Australia to all

Well said, AMB - I'm sure that we all feel the same. Our thoughts are with our Aussie mates for sure.

Adrian
Old 01-12-2011, 07:16 AM
SGC

Thank guys, whilst I faired well about 100 homes in my small town were flooded on sunday night/monday.
Just to give some of you guys some perspective on the size of our flooding, the disaster area of hurricain Katrina in the US covered an area of approx 250,000sq km , the floods in Qld cover an area of approx 1,000,000 sq km. The shear size of the area makes dissaster management quite a task.
Stewart

And now the system has moved south and theres flooding in northern NSW and western Victoria, with flooding predicted in western NSW!!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:28 AM
AMB

Stewart the aftermath of Katrina was sadly not managed very well, quite sure it will be down there martin
Old 01-12-2011, 03:26 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Been cut off where I am for a week, but all is good. Have power and water.

People in Brisbane (capital of Queensland) and nearby Ipswitch are copping a hammering.

One thing about water, it does move on if there is a gradient.

My heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:48 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I'm now in Adelaide and a LONG way from the floods, I've been watching the coverage on TV for a few days. I was involved in the '74 floods (the current flood is just as bad) when I lived in Ipswich and we (Air Force guys) spent a couple of weeks going around helping with the clean up. These floods are different though. Back in '74 it was mainly just Ipswich and Brisbane but this time floods also started on top of a mountain range (Toowoomba) and have flowed inland instead of out to sea. They've now reached the southern border of Queensland so now New South Wales will have floods and will get into the river system until eventually (maybe a month or so from now) it'll reach the river close to where I am about 1000 miles away from where they started.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:54 PM
AMB

Fiery and the rest down there hope the worst is over, do not think we have ever had a flood crisis here covering such a large area in square miles or Kms in the US, just stay safe all, pity the cities are such a shambles and well shut down martin
Old 01-13-2011, 12:08 AM
mike109

G'day all

I was in Brisbane a few weeks ago and as we left to drive back to Dubbo in NSW, it started to rain. By the time we got to Toowoomba it was becoming heavy and in the flat lands to the west we had some "interesting" moments with sheets of water over the road. We were lucky and made it back home where our own river, the Macquarie, was in flood a few weeks earlier. Luckily, Dubbo is mostly built above the flood level though the parking areas for some of the major shops and supermarkets went under water and the traffic had to be diverted through the town as the bypass bridge went under.

One earth moving contractor used his machinery to build a dike around his equipment and buildings. He was completely surrounded by water but managed to avoid damage to his gear.

Australia's problem, when it comes to floods, is that it is so flat. We live on a geologically worn out old continent and when it floods, the water just spreads out in all directions and covers vast areas.

Thanks to all for thinking of us. It has been an event that is beyond most peoples comprehension in its scope. And I suspect it is not quite over yet.

Mike in Dubbo, Oz.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:23 PM
peterburford

Thanks for the concern from far away.
I'm 100 Km south of Brisbane and OK on high ground.
My Son is in the thick of it all (His property is OK.) involved in reinstating communications: little sleeping.
The help and spirit from all sides, government, rescue, business, community and volunteer is just amazing.
It will be years of clean-up and rebuilding.
Peter
Old 01-15-2011, 08:06 PM
gossie

We are also about 100k-60miles south of Brisbane and all okay, but it really is disaster up there with 17 people dead at this stage and thousands upon thousands of home, crop and stock losses.
A massive clean up will be in full swing for a long time.
Our Daughter is in retail on the Gold Coast and the suppliers are mostly in Brisbane so they can't replenish their stock (electrical goods) for some time. Also food places inc. McDonalds have closed as well as they can't get stock.
This will make our fresh food probably more than tripple in price as much of the fruit and vegetables come from up this way for all over Australia.

It's down south in Australia as well, and the west 2000 miles away has had bush fires. All bad news indeed.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:00 PM
lildiesel

We've got a collection going at my motorsports site. It's a small community but we might raise $5K. We do have a member currently living in Perth who guarantees he can find some small local Queensland charity that will do more with whatever we gather than the big relief operations. Cameron says that he is inclined to donate to a community to help restore their athletic fields but will wait for feedback Sounds good to me, though.