Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Three Cylinder radial model diesel engine

This guy has built a nice looking 3 cylinder radial diesel. It is pretty neat.
    it looks like it has all three cylinders running together firing all at once.
    Does anyone know anything about it?
    I was wondering about what the crankshaft looked like to have a radial with all the cylinders firing at once and not alternately.
    Was this a engine that had its plans published someplace?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaZX_cfpAEw&NR=1[/youtube]

Here is another one with a similar design, I am not sure:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtbLZvgRcYQ&feature=related[/youtube]

a WOHM radial?
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI1XMnUxso0&feature=related[/youtube]

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Three Cylinder radial model diesel engine

Interesting, seems to be very smooth running.
    Rich Border AMA 77727
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The cylinders are staggered. Triple throw crank supported front and rear I assume. I think those are his own design. He'll respond if you ask him through youtube.
    Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OK, I see it now, a triple throw crank.
    I was thinking someone came up with something more revolutionary there with the crankshaft.
    Thanks

AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think that with a single carby bolted straight onto the one crankcase volume it would simply have to fire all the cylinders at once.

Smooth design for primary balance but it does get a rocking couple along the shaft.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ron Valentine has a few like that, a bit pricy!
    http://www.ronald-valentine-engines...._Cylinder.html
    The 5 cylinders has a compressor, most likely single throw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bz78135.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	1586900   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb89564.jpg 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	1586901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hm22913.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	1586902  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi - The three-cylinder radial diesels, as well as Valentine's engine that has Taifun cylinders, bear striking resemblance to Hermann Fricke's FMO 3.54 cc diesel radials. Major difference is induction. Valentine's has front rotary valve. Fricke used reed valves, and it is apparent that the three YouTube engines are also reed valve inducted. My Fricke 3 has its carburetor centered behind one cylinder but other Fricke 3s have it between two cylinders, as is the case with the three YouTube engines.

I believe that Fricke's radial came first. My friend, Luitpold Fiess, tells me that the WOHM engines are made by a German, who offers them from time to time on German eBay. He uses Fricke's design but with Taifun cylinder and piston assemblies. The German origin of the basic design also is consistent with Ronald Valentine's involvement. He learned his trade working for Taifun, and now he periodically offers newly built Taifuns that am guessing use original Taifun parts and factory tooling, which he now owns. The three YouTube engines are quite a bit alike, perhaps all built by the German WHOM builder?

You can see a Fricke radial running at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWQwlkZJwf8.

The pic below shows my FMO radial.

I will start a new thread and share more information on Fricke's FMO engines.

Regards. -Gary

Name:	Ec87284.jpg 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	1587258  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Correction. Luitpold tells me that when Taifun ceased business, its stock of parts and engines went to a hobby shop in Stuttgart, which is no longer in business. After Taifun closed, Valentine serviced Taifun and other model engines on his own for a time but this had nothing to do with Hornlein or Graupner. What he now offers is based on what he has made or obtained since.

Regards. -Gary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ONE MORE correction! Luitpold just emailed me that I have made ANOTHER mistake. My FMO 3-cylinder radial (pic is post-before-last) has rear rotary valve incuction, not reed valve. Luitpold's has reed valve. Herr Fricke made both. The external difference is that if the carb is between two cylinders, it is reed induction. If centered behind one cylinder, rotary valve. Not having looked inside, I did not know. But now, looking at the outside, I should have made a better guess! Kinda obvious. Duh...

Its been said that we are all smart in hindsight. Not so. I am stupid in hindsight...

Anyway, I am happy to have the rotary-valve version, since it theoretically should have higher performance. We need to compare Luitpold's engine with mine. But I have not run mine yet. Has he run his? I don't know. but he'll most likely now fire off another email to ol' Gary.

On the YouTube video clip I noticed that the Fricke reed-valve radial ran at low rpm. How much improvement does rotary induction make? (We can see what choice Ronald Valentine made.) Its great to have really knowledgeable resources such as Luitpold and contributors to this forum.

Luitpold has sent me further info about Hermann Fricke and his FMO engines, and I will presently start another thread on this subject. In the meantime, I have Googled and found next to no info on the Internet.

Regards. -Gary

Name:	Mk26500.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	1589793  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes the rotary valve should have the edge in performance if only on the grounds that the 'reed' acts as a choke on the intake.

Nice thread here!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it.
    I think the model diesel radial engines are very interesting.

AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are these one-off custom builds, historical artefacts; or are any currently available to purchase? Mr Valentines engines excepted, I see he advertises his engines on an online auction site.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Fiery - Hermann Fricke is 86 years old and no longer makes engines for sale. Even when he did sell them, his was a very low volume operation, and I think most engines went to those who knew him in Germany. Likely a big share of deals occurred at model engine events.

Now WRT WOHM engines, I know even less... I have asked Luitpold about WOHM-Builder, and he does not have any info - only that on occasion a WOHM radial shows up on German eBay, offered by its builder. Luitpold thinks that he may have a web site but is unable to find it now. Promises to tell us if he learns more from his engine buddies there.

Ronald Valentine offers his neat multi-cylinder diesels on American eBay - as well as TINY singles and new or like-new older diesels, especially Taifuns. As you know, he has a web site, hhttp://www.ronald-valentine-engines.com/Home_Page. Also eBay-related site, htmlttp://stores.ebay.com/Ronald-Valentines-Hobby-Shop. I have not tried to contact him to check on availability of an engine by direct sale thru the web site. Have heard that his son now works for him.

Can someone who has a Valentine engine tell us something about its quality?

Valentine engines are kinda academic for me, however. I can't afford his prices. I wish him and David Owen and Peter Burford and Tom Ridley good fortune. But I most certainly would not want to try to make engines myself for sale. Even if I could...

Regards. -Gary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi again Guys - Luitpold calls to our attention that the builder of WOHM diesels is Wolfgang Hoepfner. Another one of his 3- cylinder radials is offered on German eBay. See http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The engines in the YouTube clips are 7.5cc but this one is 10cc. Luitpold guesses that "Violetta" may go for about EUR 400, based on his former auction last October.

Now wouldn't you love to have a purple 3-cylinder radial diesel in the nose of your Aeromaster?

Regards. -Gary

Name:	Db85452.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	1600025  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is super nice for sure. The purple anodizing makes it pretty unique besides standing out too.
    I am thinking about it. Right now it was at Euro $214, which is about $316 dollars US.
    So it will likely be going up to $355 Euro's which is around $525 dollars US.
    Euro 400 would put it over $600 US then.
    Plus around $18.00 Euros for shipping to the USA too.
    Thanks for letting us know about it.

AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Gary.

Oh, for unlimited funds ...

Is there a simple way to convert the German ebay site's text to english as you look at it? My deutsch is not very good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wouldn't you like to clean up that aeromaster ?
    Ralph

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If some one would gift me one of these marvels, I would lick the fuselage clean

Might lose some weight as a side benefit as well [8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Fiery- eBay hat ein eingebautes Dienstprogramm für Übersetzung. Betrachten Sie die Oberseite der Seite auf dem Recht. Ich versuchte dieses und es funktionierte nicht. So verwendete ich mein übliches Verfahren: Yahoo Babelfish. Deutscher Text der gerade Kopie und der Paste in Fenster. WÀhlen Sie die Sprachen (Deutsch-Englisch). und lochen Sie den Knopf.

Hope this helps. -Gary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ebay must block Google translate. The purple engine doesn't appeal to me at all.
    Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I love your barfing emoticon, Greg!

And neither do I like the purple color. Its just TOOOO much!

The engine's low speed (6400 rpm) is interesting and is consistent with the reed valve-inducted WOHMs on YouTube.

I like the adult size of 10cc.

Here is my translation of the info on German eBay (Babelfish only goes so far...). Please post your corrections to my imperfect knowledge of the German language!

Model " Violetta" No. 19 from 2011. Technical details: Bore 16 mm (about 0.63 in), 6400 rpm with 11x7 three-blade-propeller. Aluminum alloy piston with domed top. One-piece steel (42CrMo4) crankshaft running in ball bearings. Reed valve induction. Three bypass channels (presumably per cylinder). Violet color anodized. Good throttling with fast throttle response. Wonderful sound. For Scale Modeler, Diesel fans and collectors. The engine is a practical small engine, with each cylinder adjustable (presumably for compression). The engine has been test run 20 minutes, and then fuel residue has been rinsed out. Personal delivery and run demonstration possible! If you have questions, send them! We offer great satisfaction! The model airplane and engine collection (see photo) are not a part of the auction. The airplane is only an example of an installed engine.

Regards. -Gary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Humm, 6400 rpms with a 11x7 three blade prop. Not exactly going to be speedy. I was hoping for more speed. Maybe a 11x10 prop would work to get the speed up more. But 6400 RPms with a 11x10 would yield about a 56 mph airspeed then.
    I had originally thought about using it on a 50 size Corsair plane. But now I don't know.

AMA # 928076