Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

New small .020 ci diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 05:36 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New small .020 ci diesel

Just found this in the current issue of a vintage free flight newsletter. The man behind the venture is Bob Langelius and I have one of his excellent PAL McCoy 049 diesel replicas from a previous production run.

He's US based, so that should encourage even the xenophobes.

See below for details plus contact email.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67268.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1600360  
Old 04-28-2011, 12:36 PM
gmedson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New small .020 ci diesel

Hi Ray - I have a Bobby Langelius PAL .020 glow engine, a repro of the K&B Infant from the late 1940s and 50s. It is indeed a high quality piece of work. Fit and finish superior to originals (which were made on automatic screw machines before the days of CNC).

Performance of Bobby's engine is right in the middle of what should be expected from a K&B .020 - 10,000 rpm with an old Tornado 5x2 wood prop. I got from 9,000 to 12,000 rpm from four originals. Of course, as we kids discovered in the '40s and '50s, this propeller does not create much wind! Hence, it will hardly fly hardly anything one might put it on! But at about 11 years old, I ran my Infant in the basement with much enthusiasm. An early model, it started readily and was easy to handle. I loved the sight. And sound. And smell. Some later models did not start so easily. As with engines of that day, especially the 1/2A-size and smaller, performance was quite variable, depending on the luck of the draw of which particular one you got handed at the hobby shop.

Anyway, back to Bobby. He is an enthusiastic guy and loves to talk. He does not advertise in model magazines because of the cost. His is a low-budget operation run by a freeflight enthusiast.

The pic posted by Ray shows a wee engine bearing striking resemblance to the K&B Infant. In short, REALLY CUTE! I totally hope this little jewel comes to market! As a diesel, it should be of greater practical use than the glow .020, as evidence, the propellers it can swing. I also like the idea of a variety of fuel tanks available.

Regards. -Gary

Name:	Vt57287.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1600487  
Old 04-28-2011, 01:02 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info. Please let us know when they are available and how we go about buying them.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:42 PM
gmedson

Earl - I will pass along any info I get. Rgds. -G
Old 04-28-2011, 02:40 PM
qazimoto

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Thanks for the info. Please let us know when they are available and how we go about buying them.

You email Bob and put your name down. His email address in in the pic of the cutting from the newsletter.

Ray
Old 04-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Recycled Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does that engine have a radial mount Ray?

Ionly ask because of the way it is clamped onto the test stand instead of being screwed or bolted.

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:45 PM
qazimoto

ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

Does that engine have a radial mount Ray?

I only ask because of the way it is clamped onto the test stand instead of being screwed or bolted.

Thanks.
Indeed it does have a radial mount.

I've enlarged the text I'd posted above, all the important information is there.

Ray

Name:	Sq46231.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1600593  
Old 04-28-2011, 05:54 PM
earlwb

Thanks. Usually I see new limited runs of engines out of Australia or some other country, but it is impossible to buy them from here.
This looks much more hopeful.
Earl
Old 04-28-2011, 06:02 PM
qazimoto

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Thanks. Usually I see new limited runs of engines out of Australia or some other country, but it is impossible to buy them from here.
No it's not impossible. People do it regularly. It's never been easier.
I just don't understand the reluctance of Americans to engage with the rest of the world.

Ray
Old 04-28-2011, 06:16 PM
gmedson

Um, thats why PayPal is so neat. We can send $$ to whoever has an account. Not long ago it was difficult, or at least expensive, to send money internationally. BTW, if the sender marks the transfer as a gift, he (the sender) pays the PayPal fee. Which is really the way to treat the seller right.

Thanks for starting this thread, Ray. I did not mean to try to hijack your thread with my post earlier today. Regards. -Gary
Old 04-29-2011, 04:39 AM
earlwb

The last time I found out about some engines being made in Australia, when I tried to contact some of the people
involved, no one responded back. So its hard to say if it will work sometimes.
Now one guy did get back to me, but he wanted $65 US for just the shipping. It sort of had me wondering if he lived way out there in the outback or something. Of course maybe shipping is that expensive fromAustralia now with the high fuel costs.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:25 AM
[email protected]

$65 US for shipping that is a bunch. Bob sells the McCoy .049 replica diesels for $85 and shipping free in the US. All the folks that I know of that have his engine are happy with the product. Made in Russia by a fellow who has a long experience in making diesels. Iron and steel and no "O" ring on the contra piston. Bob tests runs them before shipping. He recently test run a dozen or so of these McCoy .049 diesels. Jack
Old 04-29-2011, 11:39 AM
earlwb

How does one contact "Bob" to see about getting one? does Bob have a website with info about the engine?
Are there any pics of the engine?
Thanks
Earl
Old 04-29-2011, 12:32 PM
gmedson

Hi Earl and Everybody - I just exchanged emails with Bobby Lang. He says that there are enough problems with arrangements for getting the IMP .020 Diesel made that the project is in temporary hiatus. In the meantime, the prototype is a great little engine! He credits his technical guys, Dave Acton and Bob Lipori, for doing a great design and development job.

Whoever is interested if buying an IMP when it is available should send Bobby an email, [email protected], questing to be on the list.

No web site. No pics, unless Bobby would send you one as email attachment...

BTW, compare the IMP with Peter Burford's PB 0.33 diesel, http://www.peterburford.com.au/. Same size and general layout with radial mount. BUT Peter's is $500 AU. I shall immediately order one from Peter when my ship comes in. Presently, however, my ship has not even appeared on the horizon...

Regards. -Gary
Old 04-29-2011, 06:49 PM
earlwb

Ok I get it, I'm a little slow somedays. Bob is the same guy that did the IMP .020 also did the mcCoy .049. So I asked him about the .049 and if he still has one to sell. I joined his waiting list on the .020, hopefully it won't cost $500 AU though.
Thanks
Earl
Old 05-09-2011, 11:38 AM
earlwb

I was lucky enough to get one of Bob's McCoy .049 diesel engine replicas before he runs out of them. it is a really nice engine.
yeah I have trouble justifying a Peter Burford special engine at this time too. I know they are great engines though.
Thanks for the info.