Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Everything Diesel
Reload this Page >

Priming with ether is not strictly neccesary..

Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Priming with ether is not strictly neccesary..

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 01:27 AM
123Cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Priming with ether is not strictly neccesary..

Jens I think the Ignition improver will make this fuel real good , of course we are waiting for your experiment , and I will try it sometime , its a nice experiment
Old 07-25-2011, 02:02 AM
123Cat

Can you advise on 20%, in the gasoline /Kero , fuel mix ,,, ordinary 2 stroke , ( weed eater oil ),

would that be better or worse than 20/50 weight motor oil

on second thought I will stick with castor
oil because when everything goes bad it will save my conrod every time ,
Old 07-25-2011, 08:16 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My four stroke diesel knock when the settings aren't just right. My wooden test bench however makes it sounds alarming, and on video you'd think the rod is going to blow the the crankcase any second. I here similar sounds in the video. I'd say there is some knock, but based on my experiences it's difficult to say how bad it really is. I don't think I've run any two strokes that had significant knock, but I haven't run them without ether.

I find that etherless mixes are critical on settings.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:19 AM
gkamysz

Oh some posts snuck in.

DII will probably not improve the knocking.

If you use a two stroke oil, look up that technical data sheet and choose a high viscosity oil. Many two stroke oils are of very low viscosity compared to castor.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

Oh some posts snuck in.

DII will probably not improve the knocking.

If you use a two stroke oil, look up that technical data sheet and choose a high viscosity oil. Many two stroke oils are of very low viscosity compared to castor.
It is easy to understand why two-stroke oil has been deselected due to we use motor oil as a substitute for castor oil, or for reasons that make the engine will run better / easier to start for example.

We must live with the strange sounds coming out of the movie when the real sound that is heard through the ear showed that the engine was in order. My neighbor said that my engine was smooth and nice ..
Old 07-25-2011, 11:53 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess too would be the motor test stand acting as a sound board. The engine sounds slightly laboring, but that is only to be expected when using nil ether!! IPN should solve that.
Jens, what happens if you mix castor and gasoline first, and then add the kerosene?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: pe reivers
Jens, what happens if you mix castor and gasoline first, and then add the kerosene?
No difference since both kerosene and gasoline is a petroleum product.

The polarity of the atoms that make kerosene / gasoline will not let the mix with castor oil. Ether or other additives that have both polarity both in positive and negative charged atom that makes it possible to get both fluids mixed together. I learned at school in chemistry hours in secondary school.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:12 PM
123Cat

I dont have any problem using gasoline kero and say R40 Castrol , I will run that

but how much ignition improver to add?????? that is the next big question to be answered
Old 07-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Recycled Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As to the wooden platform on the test stand, that is what, about 1 1/2 inches thick?

I honestly doubt that much drumming noise is coming from there as its quite thick enough - I mean nothing on a model is going to be anywhere near as solid so the noise being heard is quite realistic.

And the real test of the fuels useability would be as Pe´ says MTBF or Mean Time between Failure and as Ray mentions, the conrod would be the litmus indicator.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:59 AM
gkamysz

From experience, my test stand amplifies engine mechanical noise substantially. The same engine in a model has very little mechanical noise.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: 123Cat

I dont have any problem using gasoline kero and say R40 Castrol , I will run that

but how much ignition improver to add?????? that is the next big question to be answered
123Cat and all folks..

The function of the ignition improver is to reduce "ignition lagg" and thereby give smooth, powerful running. Very little ignition improver is needed for this purpose, the precise amount depending on the particular fuel formulation, and is a matter for experiment in each case. Seldom is more than 3 % required, and the model diesel engine owner would be well advised to start with about 1% of ignition improver and gradually increase, by not more than 1/2% at a time up to a maximum of about 2 1/2%, until smooth even running is obtained -and then to stop. This is a case of " a little of what you fancy does you good" -but a little more can play hell.

It's raining out there that I have not experimented with fuel with the ignition improver. And in addition I must buy a starter motor and testing start willingness of the engine and learn out the fuel are likely to ignite in a short time (the electric drill does not go more than 1400 revolutions per minute).
Old 07-28-2011, 04:54 PM
123Cat

Jens I have an article that says a plain bearing hydrodynamic bearing can have 6000PSI of oil pressure generated
Old 07-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: 123Cat

Jens I have an article that says a plain bearing hydrodynamic bearing can have 6000PSI of oil pressure generated
It is high pressure for a plain bearing, 6000 PSI = 413.68 Bar. This is depending on length/bore ratio of bearing who will develop more oil pressure. For the engine who not have oil pump, do not drill hole where the oil pressure is developed in bearing by force of shaft/hole.

Yesterday i bought the electric engine starter. And i am planning to compare difference fuels and learn out which fuel is good for start willingness in a cold engine. Without and with IPN and more or less gasoline in kerosene depending on viscosity in fuel affected by how good is the atomizing the fuel in the engine. Good atomized fuel means smaller fuel drops to heat up quickly as possible by heat of compression.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Motorboy

Today i took 3 movies of the engine running with IPN in fuel, also 3 difference fuel with 2% IPN (Methyl Ethylene Ketone Peroxide, glassfibre hardener).
The diesel engine who is cold was easy to start up with electric engine starter.

I noticed that the fuel with castor oil was a little different than other fuel with motoroil oil, engine needed a little more compression and the carb had to be adjusted again. Otherwise it was easy to start a cold engine with castor oil as lubricant.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BogcI5cshE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q0RBgmPRbE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM0LrlSAIOs[/youtube]
Old 07-29-2011, 03:41 PM
AMB

Question??? How much compression increase is required over the ether based fuel to get ignition of the mixture
Ignition improver is usally a nitrate MEKP is hazardous, a drop in the eye can cause blindness
But back to the original question , If the engine required a very large increase in compression for running will this not put undue stress on it rod and crankpin beyond its design parameters and shorten its life??
most engines running on an ether based fuel the compression is only slightly more than glow martin
Old 07-30-2011, 03:21 AM
123Cat

Im really surprised that it starts so easy on the Gasoline , Kero and Castor and IPN

Nice video and well done,,

And the engine sounded good
Old 07-30-2011, 03:53 AM
AMB

Ok again how much higher does the compression have to be increased to achieve this?? my concern are we exceeding
the safe limits for the engine, in other words overcompressed beyond its design limits martin
Old 07-30-2011, 04:08 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

She's a gonna blow soon

Sad to ruin the engine
Old 07-30-2011, 05:31 AM
gkamysz

Jens, it looks like temperature is about 17°C, is that the case?
Old 07-30-2011, 05:36 AM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: AMB

Ok again how much higher does the compression have to be increased to achieve this?? my concern are we exceeding
the safe limits for the engine, in other words overcompressed beyond its design limits martin

I can measure how much is compression ratio calculated by treads on contra piston screw when the cylinder bore/stroke is known and compare with fuel both with/without ether. Then i can write the resoults of compression ratio contra fuel mix here next time.

She's a gonna blow soon

Sad to ruin the engine
I am not worried since i has maked this engine at my workshop and make new parts again in case the parts is damaged
Old 07-30-2011, 05:38 AM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

Jens, it looks like temperature is about 17°C, is that the case?
It was evening, there was about 16-17 °C as you said..
Old 08-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Motorboy

ORIGINAL: locktite401

She's a gonna blow soon

Sad to ruin the engine
I dismantled the engine and examined parts of abnormal wear and run for high load caused by excessive compression or knocking.
Could not find parts damaged or show signs of abnormal wear after many hours of driving with motor oil and castor oil since the engine was made in 2005.
Nor are the holes in the moving parts become oval of knocking or used by only motor oil in the periods I had not obtained castor oil. Both the piston pin and Crankpins is in order.
I post pictures of engine parts that you can study on engine parts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79259.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1645758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14840.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	1645759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54225.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	104.9 KB